Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW comic)

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay so I've read all of the 6 issues now, and honestly... While the "plot twist" if one can call it that, was boring.. The comic series itself has HUGE potential. I mean c'mon guys. The original Sonic The Hedgehog comic took 25 issues, before it TRULY kicked off. Before that it was just bunch of stupid puns, and plots for little kids. The new series could very well kick off after like 5 or 10 issues as well, since they're trying to get some new readers into this, not the old fans. (Well if they even think they have any old fans left after the oh so awful "Genesis Wave" arc.)

Posted

The trouble with saying 'the old comics took a while to get going' is, well, they didn't!  They started off as funny comics for kids.  And in that regard, they were good, funny kids comics for the target market.  They didn't 'get good'.  They shifted focus from comedy to story.

And secondly, even if you don;t buy that, the origonal Sonic comics were treading new ground.  IDW has almost the same team that was working on Archie.  They shouldn't need time to 'get good'.  They should know what they're doing.

Posted

The trouble with saying 'the old comics took a while to get going' is, well, they didn't!  They started off as funny comics for kids.  And in that regard, they were good, funny kids comics for the target market.  They didn't 'get good'.  They shifted focus from comedy to story.

And secondly, even if you don;t buy that, the origonal Sonic comics were treading new ground.  IDW has almost the same team that was working on Archie.  They shouldn't need time to 'get good'.  They should know what they're doing.

How long did they have to make a completely new story after the entire lawsuit thing, and the old comics just not being good enough anymore? The first 4 comics seem really rushed, I don't think they exactly had all the time, to make an interesting story that would be good for both new and old fans. I don't know whether it was because they had multiple ideas, or because of time limitations, but I do hope the story will only get better from here. 

Posted

Someone who has been writing Sonic for as long as Flynn has should be able to churn out something better than the first four copy-paste issues, time pressure or no.

I do want it to get better.  But.... I'm not that hopeful. 

Posted

From what I’ve heard, IDW wanted Flynn to do like an intro to the whole thing before going to the real deal.

Posted (edited)

So, eight issues... and we're still in a "introduction arc"? I'm not liking this... 

Also, a new character? AGAIN? Where's Tangle now? Now we have Whistle the Wolf. Cool looking, seems like an interesting character, has a special wispon or something... but, like Tangle, we know little to nothing about her. How are we supposed to care about these new girls, if we don't know where they came from, or her motivations?
Also, was it just me, or does Silver sounds a little silly in this issue? He's supposed to be naive and all, but... seemed too childish.

Oh, and the cliffhanger... alright, hope SOMETHING HAPPENS next episode, because seeing Metal Sonic sitting on the Master Emerald should be a big deal.
I'm assuming that the "Battle for Angel Island" will be the first big event in this series. Maybe something relevant may happen. Maybe. I dunno. You know, in order to have a interesting story. Like good comics have.

I'm loving the artwork tho: lively, energetic, dynamic. Evan Stanley is an artistic beast, and we can see she loves these characters. Also Matt Herms shows once again why he's been the colorist for so long. 

Edited by ChaosKaiser

Posted

It's the same thing we had in the post-reboot.  To much world building, not enough character building or plot.

My stance on the comics as a whole has not changed, which is why I haven't been saying anything.

They're 'fine'.  Not bad, but not that good either.  And they should be more than just 'fine'.

Posted

So, eight issues... and we're still in a "introduction arc"? I'm not liking this... 

Hidden Content

I'm loving the artwork tho: lively, energetic, dynamic. Evan Stanley is an artistic beast, and we can see she loves these characters. Also Matt Herms shows once again why he's been the colorist for so long. 

Oh hello new character! I loved the issue 7 art style, why'd they have to go back to the normal one in issue 8 though? ;_; Not that it wasn't good or anything, but HOT DAMN did ya see what they did in the previous one?!

Since Gold may or may not be in these comics anymore, GUESS WHO I ship Silver with? That's right. My Sunshine Child is going with Whisper. I hope. They'd be adorable together, AND they'd have sort of chemistry going on, especially now that for once it's reversed roles when it comes to who saves who. I did not expect Neo Metal Sonic being the "Eggman" though, but it was a welcomed change. Wonder what will happen to M.E and to Angel Island.