NegaMetallix

Sonic & Mega Man: WORLDS UNITE?!

500 posts in this topic

I'm not liking that art style.

This. It's a small point but a necessary one. Archie is trying to get more artists in one series but it's confusing as hell and it looks like a patchwork rug.

I love the fact that there is a Mega Man and Sonic Crossover running, but I still have a bad feeling put a HUGE crossover in only a 12 comic series and the timedifference between one Worlds Unite part is too Darn short. It's like a train driving with 70km/h in an area where is only 20km/h allowed.

Eggman and Wily seems like Pinkie and Brain - They are lovely together, so badass but still you see their weakness spots. I really love them and now how they are stuck together working for Sigma but also planning to steal Sigmas throne. While Stricks is keeing herself in my thoughts on a cliff between "She is annoying as hell" and "She's coll and unique". She has tentions to be like every OP or Mary Sue OC Character in a Sonic Fandom. Crazy, funny, cool, strong. I am missing her weakness and her point when she is down and has an inner conflict. At this point I feel with you Zero.

olRwQSn.png

Comming to StH 273. Urg. Duh. The fights are great painted and written buuuut it feels like a fight in Dragon Ball Z where minor characters fights against a near god. Seriously no damage to Sonic or Mega Man. Kinda boring even it's cool to see the Robot Master from Wily and Light fighting together.

My final thoughts about the first three comics: Cool but the conflicts are made too fast and the battles are crowded.

This. It's a small point but a necessary one. Archie is trying to get more artists in one series but it's confusing as hell and it looks like a patchwork rug.

I love the fact that there is a Mega Man and Sonic Crossover running, but I still have a bad feeling put a HUGE crossover in only a 12 comic series and the timedifference between one Worlds Unite part is too Darn short. It's like a train driving with 70km/h in an area where is only 20km/h allowed.

Eggman and Wily seems like Pinkie and Brain - They are lovely together, so badass but still you see their weakness spots. I really love them and now how they are stuck together working for Sigma but also planning to steal Sigmas throne. While Stricks is keeing herself in my thoughts on a cliff between "She is annoying as hell" and "She's coll and unique". She has tentions to be like every OP or Mary Sue OC Character in a Sonic Fandom. Crazy, funny, cool, strong. I am missing her weakness and her point when she is down and has an inner conflict. At this point I feel with you Zero.

olRwQSn.png

Comming to StH 273. Urg. Duh. The fights are great painted and written buuuut it feels like a fight in Dragon Ball Z where minor characters fights against a near god. Seriously no damage to Sonic or Mega Man. Kinda boring even it's cool to see the Robot Master from Wily and Light fighting together.

My final thoughts about the first three comics: Cool but the conflicts are made too fast and the battles are crowded.

I already made a complain about this art style it look so off it's almost as bad as Megaman X8 art style in the sonic universe it just look so out of places like sonic lost world

What's wrong with the art style? I think it looks as good as any other.

What's wrong with the art style? I think it looks as good as any other.

What I critizise is more that there are so many various art styles and not a continued one like in StH or Boom. Dunno it feels just unconfortable.

Thing is, Dan Schoening technically did all four issues of Act 1, but he only did the breakdowns in Parts 2 & 3, while Tracy Yardley finished them. Yes, it's not as consistent with the last crossover (even then, the final few pages of Act 1 there had to be done by someone else) but I don't mind it. Plus, artists constantly switch every arc or two anyway. I don't really see the major problem with this. Some artists are great, some are... less than great, but it's not really that inconsistent.

What I critizise is more that there are so many various art styles and not a continued one like in StH or Boom. Dunno it feels just unconfortable.

Well yeah I can understand that.. It's just that I myself enjoy all the different kind of art styles... Or at least I try to.. Wonder if they're going to use the older "manga...ish" style like they did in the earlier Sonic comics... WAY before the first Genesis wave.. I don't know about you guys but I personally think that would be cool.

1 person likes this

Well yeah I can understand that.. It's just that I myself enjoy all the different kind of art styles... Or at least I try to.. Wonder if they're going to use the older "manga...ish" style like they did in the earlier Sonic comics... WAY before the first Genesis wave.. I don't know about you guys but I personally think that would be cool.

The "humanoid" style?

The "humanoid" style?

Yeah that was kind of cool. But then again I suppose it wouldn't look as cool as Tracey Yardley's style..

I have to say I really didn't like the manga-esk style.  It just looked really wrong to me.  And the way the mouths were drawn in happy expression made it look like they were sticking their tongues out to me!

True true.. But there were good times too.. I liked how they drew the eyes. Maybe they could combine that and the now used art style?

I doubt they'd go for it as they're trying to stick as close as they can to the games, and that potentially includes artwork.

If it's anything like that Battle Book preview of Dr. Light's Robot Masters fighting Sonic Man, then no thanks! I really don't like that art-style.

Well not saying they SHOULD do it but if they WOULD do it... That would be awesome for me at least. Though Like I said I do enjoy all of the different art styles for all the different reasons.

I wish they would go went the anime style they use in the adventure adaption 

I wish they would go went the anime style they use in the adventure adaption 

Yeah, that one was cool.

So, that's part 4 and the first battle book out...

Now obviously Shadow's not dead, they probably just needed him out the way so he could fix everything with a few Chaos Controls.  But gotta say the way the did it was real cheap.  And in the off chance he is dead for the crossover duration, that's gotta be the worst handled death I've seen since Tasha Yar and/or Kirk in Star Trek.  Also.... why in the name of 'bleep' did a building appear in the sky as opposed to ground level like all the other buildings?

And the artwork seems to be getting worse.  The Battle book looked horrible.

Straying away from the saddening news about Mega Man's hiatus after issue #55, here's my summary and review for his big 50th:

We open with Sigma continuing to gloat about the power he's recieving from the Unity Engines, and how it'll allow him to further control the Genesis Portals and consume every world in existence. Wily and Eggman are starting to get worried about their own plan, while the two corrupted heroes begin their cross-world fight in Mega City/Mobotropolis. During this fight, both the Freedom Fighters and Robot Masters encounter each other, debating whether to attack or not. Before they can think any further, a building from Mega City forms itself in Mobotropolis, crumbling as it does so. Sally orders Bunnie and Gemerl to save the falling civilians, while Break Man watches. Then, as another building starts to form where Sally is standing, she's pulled out of it thanks to Flash Man's Time Stopper. Meanwhile, Roll and Dr. Light watch M'egga Man fight Sonic Man, and realise who it is. He tells Sally that it's his son, and Flash Man adds that he was meant to fight for peace.

Sally agrees to team up with the Robot Masters and manage the crisis at hand... only to be interrupted by a Genesis Portal appearing. Out from the portal emerge X, Zero, Axl, Sticks, Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver. (Wait, those two are still tagging along?! ...Okay then...) X and Sticks aren't exactly glad to see that they're a little late, and look for the local leadership. Thankfully, Sally is right there to help them, though she hopes that THEY have some answers for what's happening. We then briefly cut to the Federal Prison where Xander Payne is locked up... though it's merging with the Chemical Plant Zone on Sonic's world. Xander says that he saw this all happening, and thinks that it might be due to his robotic eye being exposed to something during his time-travel in 'Dawn of X'. Suddenly, his eye forms a gold Genesis Portal, which he decides to enter as it will 'take him to his destiny'. Back in, er... Mega-tropolis? (Sure, let's go with that) Sonic Man and M'egga Man are still fighting, with both sides of the unified city watching. They finally attack each other with their most powerful weapons, causing the last part of Eggman and Wily's programming to take effect. They tell the two heroes that Sigma is the one behind all of this, and they should avoid any distractions. They then revert back to normal.

However, Sigma has been watching the whole time, and immediately knows that the doctors are behind this. Unfortunately for him, they've already run off to hide. Sigma sends Zazz, Zomom, and Zeena to find at return them alive... mostly. Meanwhile, Sonic asks Rock (who he's still familiar with, like Eggman) if he's okay, but before Mega Man can question who Sonic is, they see one last fusion happening. Unfortunately, a G.U.N. Helicarrier somehow starts to fuse with Mega City's Government Building, with Team Dark and Mayor El Dorado on board. And then, the heli-building explodes, leaving unfortunate implications for everyone on-board. (then again, Team Dark are SEGA characters, so... yeah.) With only one of Shadow's Inhibitor Rings left from the explosion, the others go to check on their blue heroes. Sally tells Mega Man what's happening, only to be cut short by Sonic knowing about Sigma's involvement. Mega Man knows this too, and Sonic asks if he wants to team up once more. Rock agrees that Sigma needs to be stopped, but still doesn't know who Sonic is. We then get another short recap of 'Worlds Collide':

Sonic explains about his and Mega Man's brief misunderstanding of each other, assault on the Skull Egg Zone, the final Super battle, and restoring their worlds (including Sonic's little mistake). This, along with him knowing Dr. Light and Roll too, is enough to convince Mega Man to (re-)team up with the Blue Blur. Sonic wishes that they'd re-met in different conditions, and apologises to Sally for being out of it for a bit. Sally mentions that the worst of the fusion antics are most likely over, and they may have time to re-group. We then cut to all the heroes in Mega-tropolis for this adventure: Mega Man, Sonic, Roll, Dr. Light, the reformed Wily Robot Masters (including Break Man), the Maverick Hunters, the Freedom Fighters (and Knuckles), Gemerl, and 'Team' Sticks. Sally briefs everyone on what's going on; their worlds are officially fused, the Unity Engines can't be stopped (Dr. Light, Tails and Rotor tried), and they don't know what might happen to their world(s) if they did.

Mega Man then makes a speech to everyone that Sigma made a big mistake, as he's allowed the heroes to come together. And as long as they're together, Sigma doesn't stand a chance. The heroes cheer on to Mega Man's speech and prepare for the upcoming adventure. Meanwhile, Sigma watches the heroes gather, but gloats that the Lost Hex is too remote and hidden for the heroes to find him before he 'evolves'. He also notes that it'll be a shame for the doctors, as they won't live to see it. (They're still hiding in the base, but the Deadly 3 are closing in on them...) But even if the heroes do manage to find him, Sigma is fully prepared with his own revived Maverick Army. (It seems that most of them are the Fortress bosses in various 'Mega Man X' games, a notable one being the Shadow Devil from X5).

In the bonus anniversary story, Mega Man is in a training room (most likely on the Sky Patrol) firing at targets... and failing. Roll recalibrates his Mega Buster, while X enters and shoots down the targets. After X compliments Rock's conviction, Roll finishes recalibrating his Buster and he manages to fire at the targets perfectly. X then suggests practicing together, and he notes that Mega Man doesn't seem to be initially built for combat. Mega Man then tells X about why he chose to weaponise himself, giving us some flashbacks to his first adventure against the reprogrammed Light-bots, his encounter with Quick Man, stopping Xander's bombing plans on New Year's Eve, his struggle against the Wily-controlled Gamma, and his fights with Break Man. He then notes that, even though he wants to just help people, the fighting never seems to stop. X sympathises with Mega Man, saying how he's always just wanted to live in peace, but his entire life has been almost nothing but war.

Mega Man thinks that X's function was to be a Maverick Hunter, but X clarifies that he didn't have a function when he was activated, as there wasn't any robot like him before. We then get flashbacks to X's awakening, and him helping Dr. Cain create the first Reploid. The rest of the flashback takes place during the 'Day of Sigma', when he first went Maverick. Zero (in his X1 appearance) is trying to communicate with other Hunter teams, but they've either gone quiet or joined Sigma. After telling X about Sigma's betrayal and not getting anything back from his own unit, X can't believe what he's heard and wonders if they can find a peaceful solution. Zero tells him that there is no 'peace' option anymore, and that he's got to help the people and other Reploids. X then chooses to join Zero as a Maverick Hunter.

After a little joke about how dramatic X's story was compared to Mega Man's, the Blue Bomber asks if X went to fight Sigma without being weaponised. X says that he was fine since Dr. Light built him with the X-Buster on him, which gets shocked reactions from Rock and Roll. X then goes on to mention the time he gave up, and how his friends managed to bring him back to his senses (Mega Man X7). As they continue training, X says how humbled he is to be with Mega Man, who despite having to follow his programming, still manages to make his own choices. Mega Man replies that it wasn't too hard, since he was already programmed to help people anyway. Roll brings up that X mentioned Dr. Light creating him, which X reluctantly agrees with. Mega Man's happy to hear this, since they were also built by Light, but X apologises since he didn't want to pollute the time-stream. He even admits that he's debated on telling Dr. Light NOT to create him in the first place.

Mega Man and Roll say otherwise, as the future needs heroes like X to protect it from dangers, maybe even those created by Dr. Wily (like the Wily Walker). As they finish up shooting down the last targets, Mega Man tells X to not think like that anymore, as his 'big brother' says so. X is convinced (and amused) with Rock's little talk, when Zero and Break Man enter to tell them that everyone's meeting in the war room. Roll tells them they're coming, while both Mega Man and X ask each other if they had to fight "that red guy", to which they both reply that "it's complicated". Roll just looks confused as the two laugh about it, and they all head out.

Phew, that was a lot to cover! But I must say that this issue was brilliant. Seeing the two factions of heroes interact, if only briefly, was great to see, and I'm still surprised that we have THREE Sonic Boom characters tagging along for this ride. (Should make for some interesting conversations down the road...) Kind of odd to see the Government Building in the air, but I suppose they needed some excuse for it to merge with the G.U.N. Helicarrier. Still pretty dumb, though. And I thoroughly enjoyed the bonus story. It was good to see that they took advantage of the crossover to still have a Mega Man-centric celebration story with not one, but TWO incarnations of the Blue Bomber, and not a single Sonic character in sight or even mentioned. Overall, I thought this was a wonderful milestone issue.

Okay so for part 4:

It was actually pretty good. I mean okay the battle ended quickly but hey we gotta let the story continue and we can't ALWAYS depend on Chaos Control and Magic right?

I also like the fact how quickly everyone adapted to the situation. No awkward: "OH MY GOD talking mutant animals!" Or "OH MY GOD can we really trust the robots?!" (You know with everything that's been going on with Eggman and all..)

And I really liked the small story at the end. It was good, emotional even, funny and quite cute to see X and Mega Man, Roll, Blues and Zero in the same room. Always wondered what would have happened if they would meet.

BUT let's be serious for a moment.. Who the heck would actually believe that Shadow the Hedgehog "The Ultimate Life Form" is dead? I didn't buy it in Sonic X I'm not buying it now. Also how the heck does one place a huge building in the sky?! How does that work? Okay they had reasons I'm not complaining but some logic next time please..

Overall.. Great comic.

Edited by Shinomi-chan

That's strange, according to Sonic 273, Sonic Man Vs. The Robot Masters was supposed to be in the first Sonic issue of Worlds Unite Battles, not the Mega Man issue.

This issue was alright happy to see sonic remember the events before Nu252 but here's one negative that artwork it's it's.... No words can describe how bad it is I seen 10 year old's who can draw better then this.

On top of that their are... other issues

1. This issue felt rush that fight between m'eggaman and sonic man was too short compare to worlds collide.

2. How many people do they think will buy the whole shadow is dead thing after heroes and shadow the hedgehog no.

3 this is a personal issue or question: Were they trying to compare the plot from the first X game back on the Super Nintendo and the Day of Sigma from Maverick Hunter X

Other then that a good issue they need to slow down a bit or else this will look really bad.

As a sugerence, could someone make a separate category for the Worlds Collide and Worlds Unite issues? Just to make them more accessible.

Preview and explanation for Megaman Hiatus:

http://comicsalliance.com/sonic-mega-man-worlds-unite-recap-part-four/

ComicsAlliance: What advantage does going on hiatus offer for the Mega Man series? Is this more of a breather to regroup and refocus, or are there potential plans for a more comprehensive revamp in the works?

Vincent Lovallo:  There are a couple of different directions we can go in from here. We have the opportunity now to take a step back and reevaluate how the series is structured and how we go about producing it. We hope to share more specific details in the coming months.

I guess they are just taking a break, maybe this will help improve future issues story wise.  :huh:

Actually... that's a pretty fair reason in my opinion. Others will probably disagree, but I'd prefer a break then being given a good story than them just going in and giving a story thathasn'tbeen given too much thought or direction

That is a pretty fair reason.

But, given Flynn's earlier 'I can't comment' tweet, I think it's more there's some legal issues cropped up, and this is just a cover story.