My Top three are

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Unleashed

My top three favorites are;

1. Sonic Colors

2. Sonic Adventure 2

3. Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: I find this an amazing story that was based on Knuckles and his home and this was his game debut. Knuckles had a awesome super form in this game

Sonic Adventure because its about Knuckles and his ancient past.

Sonic Adventure 2 a continuation from SA and this game had dark elements added to it with new characters such as Rouge and Shadow and you can play Eggman. This (like the other 2 games mentioned) balances all the characters without having other characters getting downplayed for the sake of the hero.

Great! I agree what you said in all of them, though I played only Sonic Adventure 2, not the first.

2. Sonic Adventure 2: While this isn't my favorite of the Sonic games, I do recognize that Sonic Adventure 2, is the Pinnacle, the Summit, the Peak of the Sonic games right before the sudden downhill slope starting with Sonic Heroes (Sorry NMS.)

No, Don't be sorry. I've only putted Sonic Heroes in the Top 3 for NMS's appearing in the franchise and sonic rivals for showing his name.

(OKAY, I KNOW HOW LONG THIS IS, BUT AFTER SPENDING LIKE A HALF HOUR TYPING ALL THIS I'M NOT JUST GONNA DELETE IT. DEAL WITH IT.)

3. Sonic 2.

While Sonic 3 was technically a better game, Sonic 2 was the better sequel. Allow me to explain.

Sonic 2 added so many staples to the series it's not even funny. I mean really, it's so hard to play Sonic 1 soon after playing 2 because the spin-dash is just so useful and so... well, Sonic. And Tails, one of the most popular characters in the entire series debuted in this game. On top of that, while Sonic 1's precision platforming had it's charm, 2 realized the point of the series' gameplay: Speed. Pure, unadulterated speed. While this made the game easier in comparison, it was so much more fun. Not meaning to throw Sonic 1 under the bus here, I'm just saying Sonic 2 was just a huge improvement and one of the best examples of a sequel I've ever seen.

2. Sonic Generations.

This game came out in a time the series needed it. Albeit a little late, but still. Before this game was out, Sonic was basically the laughing stock of the entire industry with the absolute trainwreck named Sonic '06 being followed by titles that were good but didn't bring the revival that the series needed. (Unleashed's day-time stages were some of the best of the series, but the game as a whole was bogged down by the Werewolf levels, and Colors was decent, just not good enough to save the series at the time.) When this game came out though... not only was it great on it's own merits, but it was exactly what the series needed to get on it's feet: a well made, well-polished compromise between classic Sonic fans and modern Sonic fans. With the level designs and soundtrack rivaling Unleashed with the tightened controls and lack of werehog stages (there was even a fan-made Unleashed mod released later on PC that took the day-time levels and put them in Generations complete with the fine-tuned controls, which I would nominate for this spot but it's not really a standalone official Sonic game so, hey, what can you do?), the series was finally back on it's feet and in full-force until the slight disappointment of Lost World but I mean it had some pretty big shoes to fill so I don't blame it.

1. Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2

I'm sorry... I'm just sorry, I really can't decide which game to put here, they are both equally amazing. Let's just start with Adventure.

Adventure's case is similar to Generations, the series wasn't seeing a lot of action during the whole 3D craze with 3D Blast falling flat on it's face and Sonic R not exactly winning any medals either (

Warning: Language). Clearly, Sonic was having some trouble entering the third dimension here. So when Adventure came out, it was really a sight to behold. I'm not gonna go into too much detail about everything right with it, if I did you'd be here for a while, but let's just say: The controls were absolutely amazing, some of the best controls in a Sonic game to this very day, and E-102 Gamma is my most favorite Sonic character PERIOD. The bosses in his story sucked (save for the final boss, that one was awesome), but that ending... so many feels. Just too many to count.

Moving onto Adventure 2, it did some things better than Adventure, though at the same time some things worse. Not gonna touch on the bad, so let's just praise what this game did right: Shadow was introduced and before Heroes he was actually a really good character, the speed stages are a lot of fun and I can play through any of them at any time, the soundtrack is ABSOLUTELY AWE-INSPIRING (except for Knuckles. The great emerald's power allows me to feel?), the character animations were extremely better than... uh... whatever's going on over here:

| and the Chao Garden was improved as well.

For me its

1) Sonic Unleashed

2) Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhoog

3) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle or Sonic Colors. (Its a tie)

number 1) sonic chronicles the dark brotherhood ds.

number 2) shadow the hedgehog ps2.

number 3) sonic unleashed ps2.

It's a tough choice. I guess I'll narrow it down to these and two of them are based off nostalgia.

1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Sonic Adventure

3. Sonic Before the Sequel (one of my favorite fan games)

For the most part I like a lot of them, there is more than one choice that could have taken the #3 spot. If not Sonic BTS I will have to say Colors.

Well, it's very hard to pick a top 3, since I like just about every game in the series for different reasons. But here goes:

1: Sonic Adventure 2 - Because this game introduced Shadow, who is my very top favorite character, next to Tails, who has been my fav from the beginning. I really liked the gameplay; it was really fun (addictive, even) and the levels were very well designed. I also like how Shadow and Rouge fit into the story very well, and didn't just seem like new characters that they just thought up on the spot. I also found raising Chao to be weirdly addictive and really fun. But I suppose everything else I feel about this game has already been said.

2: Sonic Rush - Come on, who doesn't love Blaze? She's an easily-angered, but loveable hothead with a sense of responsibility, kinda like a certain echidna we all love, eh? Although her character is a bit more dignified. And I love her outfit. But enough about that, and onto the actual game. I love that it was the first game in quite a while to play more like a straight up classic Sonic game (not that I don't love all the newer styles of gameplay), but added the interesting features of newer games, such as rail grinding and the tricks you can do when jumping. The special stages, I could do without (I've never liked the Sonic 2-style special stages, although Sonic Colors DS did them in a tolerable way). But the story was interesting enough, by Sonic standards, and the game itself, put simply, it was an engaging experience. And although I only played it for the first time about 3 years ago, it's already a classic that I fondly go back to every once in a while.

3: This one's hard to say for sure, but I actually really liked Sonic Unleashed (PS2 version) - While I haven't actually finished it yet, I did watch my brother beat the Wii version, which is pretty much the same as the PS2 version. From what I have played of it though, I actually find the Werehog levels to be an interesting change of pace from the usual "just fly through every level at top speed". It gave the game a sense of strategy, and it's just plain fun taking two monsters and bashing their heads into eachother. However, I can't say that the regular Sonic levels weren't great in their own right; everything about this game, I find really fun, and the music is some of the better in the series, I think. Also, this game introduced Chip, who became my top favorite side character, never to be seen again.

Well, I guess that about does it. Although after reading The Jest's description of Sonic Adventure, I'd have to agree, and put that one pretty high on my list.

Sonic Unleashed (PS3/X360)--Well, minus the Werehog, this game kinda feels like one of the more fresher Sonic games. Considering the great graphical quality and open-worlded hub areas, this game kinda feels like it wants (and gets) as much freedom and jive as Sonic himself. And the day stages? Addicting, incredible, and gorgeous. I think that despite this, we still need a Sonic Adventure 3, though.

Sonic Generations (PS3/X360/Win)--Probably one of the most stand-out Sonic games of all time. It combines a great 20 years of Sonic history into an enjoyable 5-6 hours of gameplay. And they didn't just remake the stages, they reinvented them! Both styles of gameplay are addicting and fun! And its great sense of nostalgia is probably greater than a simple compiliation. (Plus, we get more love for 'boarding hedgehogs.)

Sonic Rush--Incredible. A great story, great gameplay, and the tunes are incredible. Dimps doesn't need to copy Sonic Team. They are cool by themselves, and...it's too cool for words, but I can say that I wish that formula would come back.

In my opinion? Huh, here goes nothing1

1) Sonic CD. It wasn't the first Sonic game I played (That was in 1997, I played Sonic 1), but it was the game that made me start to love True Blue!

2) Sonic Adventure. I actually didn't have the luxury of having a Dreamcast in '99, so the first time I got to play SA1 was courtesy of the PS3. Playing Sonic games since I was 3, to me SA1 transferred the elements that made the classics good, near perfectly into the third dimension.

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). The game that started the Hedgehog's legend! This game has always (And always will) had a very special place in my heart. This is not only the game that introduced me to the world of Sonic, but was also the very first video game I ever played, back in 1997! The first video game you play is usually the most memorable, and that game has nothing but good memories for me!

Wow, that was longer than I anticipated! I actually went back and played through all the Sonic games again to create my own top 3!

For the record, Sonic Heroes would be on this list if it had a broader stage variety. The formation aspect, as fresh as it was back then, wasn't explored nearly enough, either.

3) Sonic Advance 3. The Advance series, other than this game, didn't do much to satisfy me, and maybe that's my fault, but Sonic in particular just seems really slow, especially in Advance 1. Slow and slippery is a bad combination and Advance 3 does the most to rectify this. None of the other Advance titles are as fluid as the 3rd. (Advance 2 would be close if it didn't have those dumb forever-running boss fights).

The tag team aspect again comes into play, with every character having a different moveset based on their partner, which ups playability. Example: I didn't even know you could use Amy's hammer to get more out of the springs until a couple of years ago, and that's helped a fair bit with my time trials in Ocean Base.

2) Sonic Colors. First game I poured a decent amount of time into since Secret Rings, and boy am I glad I did. The controls are sharp, the writing is pretty quality and not too serious, and the wisps are a decent gameplay mechanic that don't feel too intrusive on the experience as a whole.

Also, Planet Wisp is the most beautiful stage yet, complete with bass guitar and speeding through the levels with that in the background feels so good.

1) Sonic Rush Adventure. Sonic Rush was the game that ended my personal streak of "Another Sonic game? Eh, it's average." From the reveal trailer I was hooked. A viable rival character with believable ability? 2.5D stages, with boss fights rendered in 3D? Hideki Naganuma? Count me in. I played it, and it was hard. It was engaging. It killed my thumbs with the fight against Blaze. And it reignited my interest in Sonic games.

And then I played Sonic Rush Adventure.

Almost everything that was great about Rush was expanded upon, and the prospect of sea travel was added, making the adventure that much more legitimate because you're actually traveling to these areas like you would in Adventure Fields... while still playing Rush. It's amazing. It's amazing, but the first Rush does have slightly better music after all. Except for Deep Core. Never forget Deep Core.

For me it'd have to be:

#3: Sonic 2

#2: Sonic Adventure 2

#1: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 get honorable mentions because for some reason I actually liked them, as strange as it may sound.

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Aside from Carnival Night act 2 being a bit too much of a slog and that bit with the barrel, the game was pretty much perfect, all of the levels felt interesting and had a good mix of speed and more platformy parts and overall is pretty much THE Sonic game imo

2. Sonic Adventure - Level design is on a similar level to Sonic 3&K, if not better, Chao Gardens were also a great idea (Shame they never bother with it anymore) and most of the characters were a lot of fun to play (Even Big wasn't that bad, just kinda poinltess)

3. Sonic CD - EU/JP version has the best soundtrack in the series and had some interesting, although very hit-and-miss, boss ideas. Plus an exploration focused Sonic game is actually a pretty fun idea.

I would say [in no particular order]...

1: Sonic Adventure 2. I dumped hundreds of hours into the Chao Garden alone. Took me YEARS to get all the emblems, but I had fun doing it.

2: Sonic CD. I still haven't gotten the Good Ending yet, but I'm getting closer! It also has one of my favorite soundtracks from the Sonic franchise.

3: Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Jumping on the bandwagon of love for this game. It's got great controls, great music, and great stage design [save for Carnival Night...].

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

2. Sonic Generations until planet Wisp

3. Sonic Adventure 2

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles- My favorite Sonic game of all time. The mix between speed and platforming is great and I love discovering hidden paths to find extra goodies. The level design is perfect and the music is awesome.

2. Sonic Generations- This is a fantastic game, and one that I go back to every now and then. Both Classic and Modern Sonic's levels are fun to play. I love the skill customization and like Sonic 3, the level design is top notch and the music is great.

3. Sonic The Hedgehog(1991)- The game that got me into the Sonic series. The game is loads of fun with the exception of Labyrinth Zone, I don't like that Zone, but the rest of the game is pure platforming goodness and will always have a special place in my heart.

Hard!

Disclaimer: haven't played Lost Worlds, 4:ep2, Rush Adventure or Dark Brotherhood. Also haven't completed Chaotix, Shadow, Heroes, or Colors (yeesh, what kind of sonic fan am I?). That said...

1) Sonic Jam--jk, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (yeah, it still seems like cheating)

2) Sonic Adventure (up there with Super Mario 64 in initial "wow" factor)

3) Sonic Generations (nostalgia overload)

And now I feel obliged to continue.

4) Sonic 1 (first game I ever owned, probably beaten it more times than any other game)

5) Sonic 2 (minus the last frickin impossible special stage)

6) Sonic Adventure 2 (first game I defended to the death on forums)

7) Sonic Unleashed (daytime please)

Never quite warmed up to Dimps' efforts. Never felt the love for sonic cd that some do, though it's awesome in its own right. Most hated sonic game: sonic Xtreme--its cancellation caused me so much heartache, and 3D Blast was no great consolation.

please don't hate me for this but ermm.. : Sonic Generations, Sonic & Knuckles and Shadow The Hedgehog

1 person likes this

please don't hate me for this but ermm.. : Sonic Generations, Sonic & Knuckles and Shadow The Hedgehog

This are good choices I think. No one is going to hate you for what you like in here, So don't worry.

oh ok good to know.. ^_^ it's just that.. many seem to think that at least Shadow The Hedgehog is a bad game... I've seen videos about it.. and angry comments.

oh ok good to know.. ^_^ it's just that.. many seem to think that at least Shadow The Hedgehog is a bad game... I've seen videos about it.. and angry comments.

Well It's not as bad as Sonic 2006. And I played it and It was good to play as someone else than just Sonic.

exactly! I think it's really good game easy to play (except last boss!! Dx) and yeah I also own Sonic 2006... and don't know why am I still playing it.. though then I heard that the game wasn't even finished when fans demanded it... so yeah.. fans couldn't wait + unfinished game = Sonic 2006 ladies and gentlemen! xD