BlurryDawgo

Ken Penders Topic...

649 posts in this topic

Honestly... instead of looking what SEGA has limited but look at what Flynn and Archie has done with said limitations

Basic on what Flynn and Archie done with the limitations of the comics I said they hasn't really done much with the limitations the cycle seen to be.

Introduce new character - Go to a new location - fight enemies and or a boss - latter rims and repeat.

People say Penders is choosing money over the fans, but who originally chose their pride over the fans by filing a lawsuit against him ? Do I have to remind you that he didn't even ask money for the use of his characters ? All he wanted was Archie to use them under his mandates. And I honestly would have preferred his mandates over Sega's awful current ones. And I would like Archie to tell us once and for all why the Mega Man comic is put on hiatus (which in industry language means definitely over). I would guess it's again about some legal stuff ? Something's definitely not right at Archie Comics, and we must know what.

that's why I respect panders. Ever since the Internet said he sued Archie and wanted money which was not the case he's got hate for it. We all blame him for the reboot when really it's Archie themselves with the blood on there hands. 

Hes given hate because he's not an angel in this. Yes Archie was in the wrong but Penders made mistakes too

Hes given hate because he's not an angel in this. Yes Archie was in the wrong but Penders made mistakes too

How can someone be an angel when your about to go to court over the misused and using characters and story arcs without the consent of the creator of those things.

Um... you seem to have misunderstood. I never said anyone was an angel here. I just said Penders wasnt one :/

Um... you seem to have misunderstood. I never said anyone was an angel here. I just said Penders wasnt one :/

I understand that, and I will admit I see where people are coming from with his characters, but I would be ticked too if I got hate over a misunderstanding that people don't want to believe 

I understand that, and I will admit I see where people are coming from with his characters, but I would be ticked too if I got hate over a misunderstanding that people don't want to believe 

I'm staying out of this one for my own good.
After "debating" with Penders via Twitter, I have a pretty good idea over the guy's mentality.

It was an aggravation to even try and have a civil conversation with him (certainly not like Flynn, who was pleasant to talk to.)

but, AGAIN. I am staying out of this topic.
I don't care who did what to who, All I know is the end result,,and, the damage It has done in the long run.

I'm staying out of this one for my own good.
After "debating" with Penders via Twitter, I have a pretty good idea over the guy's mentality.

It was an aggravation to even try and have a civil conversation with him (certainly not like Flynn, who was pleasant to talk to.)

but, AGAIN. I am staying out of this topic.
I don't care who did what to who, All I know is the end result,,and, the damage It has done in the long run.

yeah i saw that on twitter (i have an account on their.) I haven't run into this problem yet with panders and i try more to get info about stuff we haven't heard about or his comic lara-su then arguing. Flynn i respect as well thought i'm not gonna lie, i hate with a burning passion the fact that he can't speak out about things, mainly due to archie.

as the topic says, do you think panders was better at making characters, or writing.

i'd say characters. sorry panders but while some of you're idea's are great and i like how you want the sonic universe to expand and see new characters, flynn takes the cake for writing.

(Mod note: sorry. But not worth creating a topic on it given what we have)

Oh, hell no. Penders is doing it again about that he should get money just from appearance of his characters. I agreed with him on the money from reprints and his approval for use of his characters, but that ? He couldn't stay nice all the way, "Nek Srednep" has taken over once again. Bye Ken, it was nice to see you back for a time.

Edit: Guys, I think I put my finger on something big. Penders said he never signed any contract with Archie. That means he was never officially affiliated with them. And that also means he was never affiliated with the licence fee. Logically, shouldn't this make his copyrights of stories containing Sega content illegal ?

Edited by Chapmic

Oh, hell no. Penders is doing it again about that he should get money just from appearance of his characters. I agreed with him on the money from reprints and his approval for use of his characters, but that ? He couldn't stay nice all the way, "Nek Srednep" has taken over once again. Bye Ken, it was nice to see you back for a time.

Edit: Guys, I think I put my finger on something big. Penders said he never signed any contract with Archie. That means he was never officially affiliated with them. And that also means he was never affiliated with the licence fee. Logically, shouldn't this make his copyrights of stories containing Sega content illegal ?

i may ask him. as for the money he should get for character apparances i don't/haven't heard him say anything like that, and he's said that he wants archie to use his characters after they get stuck out of this mess their in in the series.

i may ask him. as for the money he should get for character apparances i don't/haven't heard him say anything like that, and he's said that he wants archie to use his characters after they get stuck out of this mess their in in the series.

Here it is.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/677003083751301120

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/677003401868218370

And he's doing it again, saying the comic exists thanks to him, despite the fact that Michael Gallagher is the real first writer.

I also already asked him about his copyrights being legal. Here's his reply.

He wasn't even surprised by my question. He knew it all along, and is even proud of it because he feels secure. What a... I couldn't continue this post without being insulting.

Edited by Chapmic

Here it is.

And he's doing it again, saying the comic exists thanks to him, despite the fact that Michael Gallagher is the real first writer.

He wasn't even surprised by my question. He knew it all along, and is even proud of it because he feels secure. What a... I couldn't continue this post without being insulting.

all right you're gonna hate me for this but i don't get it. he's a free lancer so...wouldn't he own everything unless he sold it to them?

Here it is.

all right you're gonna hate me for this but i don't get it. he's a free lancer so...wouldn't he own everything unless he sold it to them? 

A freelance without a contract, in case you forgot. Only a contract or a direct agreement with Sega could legaly grant him such copyrighs on their content, and his replies to my questions proved he has none. That Darn douche made us lose the old Archieverse with forged copyright, and he had the help of the Darn (in)justice. And now, he's acting nice to fool us. But his weakness is that he confesses too much to people who end up trusting him.

Here it is.

A freelance without a contract, in case you forgot. Only a contract or a direct agreement with Sega could legaly grant him such copyrighs on their content, and his replies to my questions proved he has none. That Darn douche made us lose the old Archieverse with forged copyright, and he had the help of the Darn (in)justice. And now, he's acting nice to fool us. But his weakness is that he confesses too much to people who end up trusting him.

sorry about that, i'm just really confussed still and you are right about that. panders is like that old man in the neighborhood who's quite but when he talks he's seriouse and has a lot to tell. one time he went on out of no where about a sonic movie that was supposed to be made. on a side note i don't really get his quote unless it's proving his other quote that archie has bad lawyers. yet he wants the characters to be used (his characters) and theres not contract to transfer his rights over. my god panders why you so confusing

Edited by teamrandom21

Guys... you're the only two discussing at the moment can we cut down on the quoting? Its clear who you're each talking to and the quotes are getting horrendously big

As for my opinion... eh... my opinion of Penders still stands. This just satisfies its right to me. I probably won't get involved much with arguing

Sorry about that, it's quite hard to edit out previous quotes on an iPad.

Teamrandom21, no, Penders doesn't want to transfer his "rights", he wants all fame for himself because he still can't accept the fact that he had his time. Instead of doing new stuff that would get him all this money he wants, he just holds to the comic like a parasite to get paid for his past work. Unless your selling your own work, that's either unemloyment or retirement, and none of them are paid by your former employer.

Edit: Just great. For him, the throwbacks to the original trilogy in The Force Awakens are just theft. And that's coming from the guy who stole copyrights.

Edited by Chapmic

Not to beat on a dead horse, or rub more salt in an old wound..

But, I feel this is a topic that Sonic Fans will continue
to debate for a long, LONG time to come.

So..the infamous "Penders Purge"
and, and "Super Genesis FlashPoint" reboot.

who was REALLY to blame for us (the fans)
losing 90% of our favorite characters, and having Archie Sonic given the 'New 52' treatment?

There are those that still maintain that Ken Penders is to blame.

considered "The Devil Himself" by most Fans and Critics alike.
Penders appeared to overreact to the now forgettable (yet, infamous)
Nintendo DS RPG Sonic game "Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood."

due mainly for certain characters featured in the came
being similar to 'The Dark Legion' characters that he created for the comic series.

his demand for royalties over what was essentially 'parodies'
led to him leaving Archie, and taking ALL the characters that he created with him.

thus forcing Archie to revamp the comic, or cancel it altogether.

One would say that Penders was being selfish.
(especially since a majority of the characters that he took remain unused by him.)

the fact that he's now using a variation of Knuckles (a character that BELONG to Sega)
doesn't help his image much either, as it paints him as a hypocrite
by doing the very thing he was so upset over being done to HIM.

HOWEVER, their other sides to every story.

Let us cross-examine another suspect..

As a company, Archie Comics is nowhere as famous or wealthy as Marvel or DC Comics.

and, like any corporate business,
there is no way for us to know what goes on behind closed doors..

just what IS the whole process that goes into making these comics.

for all we know..Archie doesn't treat it's Writers and Artist very well.
offering little pay, and taking waaay too much credit for themselves.

Afterall..this IS a company best known for comics based upon
Archie Andrews, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

a company that has the gall to forbid fanfiction based upon their titular character
to be made, and posted on places such as Fanfiction.net.

All things considered..one has to wonder if the blame for
the loss of the original Archie Sonic Comics is entirely on Ken Penders.

While Penders hasn't been fair, his old bosses aren't much better.
for all we know, their ill treatment of their employees probably drove Penders to do what he did.

and, let us not forget. While Sonic the Hedgehog is more popular in comics.
the fact remains that Sonic as a franchise BELONGS to Sega, not Archie
(who were only "allowed" to make comics based on him
  per a licensed agreement granted to them by Sega..a license that they may be letting go to their heads.)

but, let us ALSO not overlook the final suspect in the Controversy: SEGA ITSELF.

Now, while Penders could have reacted to 'Dark Brotherhood' a bit better.
one also can't ignore that perhaps Sega could have handled the games release better, too.

Whether they were based upon the comic characters,
or even if they decided to use the very characters outright.

Sega perhaps SHOULD HAVE informed Archie (or, at least Penders)
of their intention to incorporate new characters based on the comic exclusive characters.

and, perhaps if they had notified them.
THEY could have provided helpful suggestions that might've made the game better.

SO..Which one "ruined" Sonic?

Was it Ken Penders being Selfish?,
Archie Comics being Greedy, or Sega for Secretive.

OR, perhaps..what if..it was all THREE of them?!

What if the vices of all three caused a chain of events
that destroyed years of Sonic Comics lore, and led to all this chaos??

What do you think?

Exactly who IS to blame??

Ken Penders..Archie Comics..Sega..

Or, All Three of them.

Edited by MetroXLR99

I think pretty much everyone should know by now all three were jerks about this whole thing.  Penders is a jerk, Archie is a comic company (see some of the *bleep* Marvel and DC get up to) and SEGA doesn't care about Sonic yet still dictates rigid terms.

The only debate is what order to blame them.

So... anyone here heard of Sonic Revolution? 'Cause it looks like Ken is gonna be hosting a panel there, in honor of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.

http://2016.sonic-revolution.net/2016/06/04/sonic-comic-veteran-ken-penders-joins-as-guest/

In fairness, he has a lot of history with the Sonic comic, so it kinda makes sense for him to be a guest. At the same time, however... well, we all know his recent history hasn't been good.

So much words for a new topic... o_o

Eh... Skye has it nailed really. Anytime I'm more specific it sparks some unnecessary arguing about the subject so I think I'll leave it at that

Wouldn't this be better off in the topic for all Ken Penders-related stuff? And, like Skye kinda said, most people (if not all) that follow the comic have already discussed this situation before.

I really don't think anything can be added to this discussion.

Edited by Captain Metallix

Good point. I'll move it right now

anyone here heard of Sonic Revolution? 'Cause it looks like Ken is gonna be hosting a panel there, in honor of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.

No comment.

It's bad luck to say ANYTHING about Penders, it seems.

SEGA doesn't care about Sonic yet still dictates rigid terms.

I heard that Yuji Naka, the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog.
no longer cares about the character, and has washed his hands of it entirely.

Not sure what to make of that.

(The no double posting rule still stands. There is an edit button if you want to change something

So... anyone here heard of Sonic Revolution? 'Cause it looks like Ken is gonna be hosting a panel there, in honor of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.

http://2016.sonic-revolution.net/2016/06/04/sonic-comic-veteran-ken-penders-joins-as-guest/

In fairness, he has a lot of history with the Sonic comic, so it kinda makes sense for him to be a guest. At the same time, however... well, we all know his recent history hasn't been good.

Speaking of, take a look at what just happened at Sonic Revolution (which began a few hours ago): https://twitter.com/alanthewriter/status/742069965692407809

Taken by major Sonic Boom writer Alan Denton, this photo shows Penders face-to-face with Takeshi Iizuka himself.

I honestly have no idea what to say about this. Maybe it's too early to tell?