Skye Prower

Sonic SCANF Youtube channel?

159 posts in this topic

With thanks to Shinomi for starting the ball rolling here.

I guess most of you will have seen the status discussing starting making youtube videos.  Given that there is only limited space to reply there, and status' can soon be buried, I thought I'd open it out into a topic.

Since the removal of the comics there has been discussions as to what to do with SCANF's future, and Let's Plays have been suggested, so a youtube channel for Let's Plays and other content could be a way forward.  And this would allow members of the community who want to produce videos to do so.

There are some definite advantages of a collaboration channel as well.  First, it means the channel can have a decent amount of content without it being crazy for the creators.  Say for example, we get four people involved.  The channel could then put out, say, two videos a week, which is pretty good content wise, but each creator is just making one video a fortnight.

Second, a subscription for one is a subscription for all, which will help boost the channel and get it noticed.

And third, as a group, we'd have a support network with each other to ask for help if required.

I'd say it'd pretty important to not rush into this.  Take it slowly and consider our options, do we really want to this, who would be interested, what could we make, etc etc.  But with luck, we can do something great here.

So.... what are people's thoughts?

I'm with ya 100%! One thing I'll need though is some good games to play! We're definitely going to do Sonic Forces when that comes out.

I would like to help, but I zero experience :P

I would like to help, but I zero experience :P

Don't worry. Pretty sure you wouldn't be the only one ;)

Oh and for the record yes. Definitely interested

I'm kind of interested about this xD

the only problem is that I'd have no idea whether I can keep up with quality work o_o

Wow, we have a lot of interest here it would appear.

I would say we don't have to have the channel being just Let's Plays.  If I do go for this, I'd probibly do my Comic Review things.  Having said that, yep, Forces would be a good choice, and Mania to.

And Katmuffin, Don't worry about the lack of experience!  That goes for ALL of us so far except for Thire! 

Don't worry Shinomi.  I'm sure you can.  And it's better to try than to always wonder what could have happened!

3 people like this

I love this idea, really, but have no idea on how to colaborate. So...I'll keep an eye on this until I can say "hey, I can be useful"

We're just brainstorming at the moment, so even just suggesting ideas could be handy!  

So would we do mainly Sonic stuff on the channel or can it differ? Like if there are some holidays or so like Halloween would we do horror games and creepypasta stuff?

I would say (but everyone else please chime in) is that it should be mostly Sonic stuff (as it is Sonic SCANF) but we shouldn't be limited to just Sonic.  As long as... I dunno.. half our content is Sonic stuff?  So yeah, horror games at Halloween would be good.

1 person likes this

I feel doing Sonic stuff makes sense given the site. But doing just Sonic stuff would eventually mean running out of things to play especially considering that certain platforms would be needed to play some of the games

So playing other games makes sense too

1 person likes this

If we are going to do this I would recommend that the first step should be a channel name. And maybe picking a project leader. Given that There has some experience in this maybe he should be the leader for the time being. I personally think the first project should be Sonic related so a new game would be ideal since both the player and the viewer will be having a new experience.

1 person likes this

If this is gonna go with SCANF, I guess we want SCANF in the name.  Not sure we really need a leader at this stage.  And..well, are we just going to be working on one project, or each on different ones.

As for a new game, trouble is, there isn't gonna be a new game sonic wise for a little while yet.  And, tbh, when a game is new is probibly not a good time for a small channel to play it, cause all the BIG channels are gonna play it too, and who's gonna watch more than one playthrough at the same time.

So I guess Seviper and friends is out huh? JK. I would also like to be apart just need time.

Fingers crossed you get the time!

Some suggestions, there are channels that go and try to solve the mysteries in games, movies, TV shows, anything really. Like; How fast is sonic? How tall is mario? I'd like to go through and do the same for the comics. (That and I don't own many sonic games.)

Expanding off Katmuffin's idea, we could do something kinda like what Game Theory did, there were like 3-4 different shows that covered different areas making GT whole. Maybe we could do that?

I like that idea.  I've not watched any of those shows myself, but I do think the idea behind them is good.  So yeah, I;d say go for it!

Well if it's theories, then please, you guys can handle such stuff, I'm too dumb for something like that. But Let's Plays I think I can manage xD I have some Sonic Games at least (Unleashed, 06, Generations, Riders/Zero Gravity, All Stars Racing, That weird Tennis game, and Diamond Collection.

(as for HORROR games, I always download bunch of them and love playing and commenting on the weird stuff xD)

We could have 2-3 different shows for gameplay and 1-2 (or more) shows for non-gameplay. How we want to tackle this is entirely up to you guys as I won't be able to do much until Saturday. 

We could also do the occasional colab with our other shows, be it as a guest or extra input.

2 people like this

Saturday?  I'm gonna be too busy to even THINK about this properly until June is over.  Come July you'll have my full attention.  

I think everyone should be able to do what they wish to do for their vids.  So we could have Shinomi and Thire on the Lets Plays (either working together or separate as they wish), me on the comic reviews, and Katmuffin on the comic theories.  And anyone else who wants to take part doing what they like.  As for collabs, that would certainly be fun too.  

And a silly idea (for the long term) if this DOES take off and gets successful, for our 'special occasion' we should swap jobs for a video! ;-p 

2 people like this

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we did make it big, I mean Sonic stuff in general are pretty much going up, I've seen this from certain youtuber by the name: Courtney (ProjectSNT) though she does it in a new way by making stuff about her horrible childhood oc. Heck if we do make it big I want to make a video at some point how the comic and cartoon world changed my life for good. If possible.

1 person likes this

I'm better off at playing games than coming up with theories so... you know what I'd do :P

2 people like this

So theories for me! But come next week I'm going busy for the rest of the month, so July for me too.

1 person likes this

It's certainly not impossible , but lets not get our hopes up.  Actually.... IF we do, you're idea of a 'what sonic means to me' might be a nice 'X number of subscribers vid', one from each of us.

Heh, no probs Dylan

And no worries Kat.  If anything, this'll give us time to prepare.

To begin... What hardware/software do we need.  I;ve a decent headset mic, but software I've just got the basic (and crap) sound recording and 'movie' (in the loosest term) making software that comes with windows 7.  Obviously I'll need better, but what is good on a budget?

Also, I'd like to put images from the comic up on my reviews.  Do I just need to say "All comic images copyright of Archie comics" or is it more complex than that?  And what about music?

And finally, a VERY important note to everyone.  This is us putting our work, our voices, into the public domain of the internet.  And we all know what the internet can be like.  It can turn very nasty very quickly.  As long as you know this, and can take or ignore abuse we might get, then it should be fine.  But just make sure you go in with your eyes open.