arekpowalan

What makes Sonic 'Sonic'

5 posts in this topic

Inspired by Frostryu's topic on Antoine, today I would to talk about Sonic, particularly, how he is being considered "The Hero of Mobius" in Sonic Archie comics.

RCO018.thumb.jpg.94e99316103873c89f20484

We know a hero is a person who achieves great things. In case of Sonic, he is one of the few mobians who have special talents powerful enough to wipe the floor with Dr. Robotnik's army and to fight Robotnik himself one-on-one, even killing him off at one point. However, in the comic book world, classical heroes like Superman and Batman need to showcase other dominant traits other than "beating up bad guys" to make them legitimate heroes. For examples, Superman is known mostly his idealism, compassion and down-to-earth personality and Batman is known for his intelligence, determination and his overwhelming desire for justice. Sonic Archie has over 280 issues, and like Superman and Batman, I believe there's a reason behind this success aside from Sonic being a mascot character. 

What I would like to ask you is simple: describe how you feel about Sonic of the Archie comics. Discuss how Sonic in your opinion has proven himself as a good or bad protagonist, what we like or dislike about him, and ultimately what makes him a unique hero. In addition, if you write or draw him, in what angle you would like to express or explore him. Here's my opinion for the starter:

I've always found the Archie counterpart of Sonic to be more charming than his game counterpart. Since SatAm, Sonic as a freedom fighter is innately characterized as a good person. Not only he has a rough childhood, but his 90's kid attitude also enhance him as a confident, fearless and inspiring hero rather than a carefree teen. He can be smart talking, overconfident, and flirtatious, but because of the context, In many ways he's similar to the Red Green Lantern (Guy Gardner), Red Savarin, and Rainbow Dash: a "competitive teen" archetype who achieves the best of his ability by seeking out challenges and adventures all while realizing he should exercise his power to protect his friends.

What I like the most about Sonic Archie, however, is that the book's successfully depicted him as a three-dimensional character. Just like in the game, he's a confident hero, able to crack jokes and smile even in the most desperate moments, but at the same time, he's still an insecure knight with a traumatic past. I read this article sometimes ago which resonated with me. Game bashing aside, the author brought up how several chapters in the comics that he claimed bringing out humanity out of Sonic: his anxiety, his fear, and his determination, and his worry for other people. This allows him to be written not only as a realistic character, but also as a satisfying hero when he overcome his fear and defeat his enemies. To date, Sonic #175-176 are still my favorite, since it explores how Sonic can still get it together after seemly losing everything, and more importantly he's willing to let Tails and Amy helping him out.

What I find interesting is the character Sally Acorn, who before the reboot managed to out bring most of Sonic's personality. Moreso than Amy, Sally is more or less a "clutch" that causes Sonic to be emotionally challenged whenever she's in danger. It's a part of a reason why I like them as a couple, and the reason I was disappointed at the Mecha Sally arc ending abruptly. If I write Sonic, I'd explore more of the relationship between Sonic and Sally, not in term of romance, but how they go through difficulties together and support each other in the ways they are both strong characters.

Edited by arekpowalan
1 person likes this

Especially after Lord Flynn took over, i think one of the best things about sonic in the comics is his relationship with Tails, as brothers. This is especially true in the House of cards arc, as well as several smaller parts of other arcs, like Champions in the reboot. The games make Tails and Sonic's relationship more of worshiper and Idol, and i much prefer the brotherly trust between them in the comics. They fight, disagree, and clash, but they're always there when the other really needs them. Just before the reboot, Sonic is willing to trust tails on not pressing too hard about elias and Shard, despite his own wish to prob farther.

2 people like this

I really like the "original" archie comics Sonic. I mean don't get me wrong, I like the games, heck they are part of my childhood even, but I really loved the way they portrayed Sonic in SatAm. In Underground he already had a title "Prince" which just didn't really sound correct to me, I like him more as a Freedom Fighter, as a hero, not Royalty. That part obviously belongs to Sally. I loved their relationship and how they got to fight together against Robotnik and later on Eggman. I am more of a SonAmy fan than SonAlly, but I can see it work too, but it makes me kind of feel sad for Amy...

I really liked the different art styles they used to have, especially the more "manga" like style. It kind of worked in Sonic's case, and made the stories and the characters seem more like.. well "aliens" I guess. Though the style they have now is nicer look to Mobians. Since they are more animals than human. I also hated how they handled the Mecha Sally situation, but hey, when you get sued by your former friend and companion, what can you do? 

It's a shame we can't see the good ol' villains and heroes before reboot ever again... I really liked Fiona despite her turning to Destructix... and to Scourge's side. (never really liked Scourge... =3= ) But what about our Scottish Knuckles!? D:

The problem with old Sonic was.... the school arc. =3= WHY? Sonic never needed school, Uncle Chuck was there for him! He taught him everything he knew, and seeing him turned to a robian, and later on back to normal was the highlight of the show! So many emotions.. and let's not forget Mutski! Good ol' Mutski. (I did like how they turned him to a full Mobian though. Nice twist. I didn't see it coming.

1 person likes this

Especially after Lord Flynn took over, i think one of the best things about sonic in the comics is his relationship with Tails, as brothers. This is especially true in the House of cards arc, as well as several smaller parts of other arcs, like Champions in the reboot. 

This is so true.  I just wanna build on this by saying Sonic's whole life revolves around his friends let me give you some examples.

Sa2 and Space Showdown Sonic X: Chris and Sonic Attempt to change Shadow Pov on earth and Maria vision for a better future

Sonic X and Sa1: Sonic and Tails meet for the first time Sonic finds out Tails is a genius and Tails grows and becomes more confident as time goes on.(@Frostyu then the brotherhood in the comics) (I cried reading House of Cards Arc)

Silver and Blaze meet in Sonic 06 and build off each other in the Idw comics because they both are lonely.

These are a couple of the big examples of what makes Sonic-Sonic.

2 people like this