Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog (Comic Series)

1395 posts in this topic

Yep. Prnders basically didn't like the way his characters were handled and so copyrighted them all so that Archie had to pay him money to even use the characters but I think Penders also wanted Archie to portray them his way. And he ended up suing Archie which no one won and trying to sue SEGA for paying homage to his Dark Legion through the Nocturus. Instead of agreeing to pay for Penders "original characters" Archie decided to reboot the whole thing thus erasing all Penders characters and family of the heroes (bar Uncle Chuck and Vanilla) so they can continue on unless Flynn decides to take away any of his own characters which better not happen

I think I explained correctly...

I'm still new here so tell me if I am out of line, but does anyone else wish that Archie didn't press the "reset" button and redo the story of the entire series? It feels cheap - like they didn't have any other ideas to do with the older storyline. There are probably other forms addressing this, but I feel, well, betrayed by an old friend... :(

I actually think the reboot was a relatively good idea, from my point of view. I haven't been up to speed with any of the Sonic comics since at least 10 years ago. Thanks to the reboot I can actually actively follow the story (by reading from Genesis onwards) without having to read years of comic history, while still getting some of the previous story references (from the characters who still remember it) thanks to at least some basic knowledge (and the internet). For long time readers, I can understand the disappointment, but for newer/less seasoned readers it isn't too much of a loss.

I can see where you're coming from DoctorNog, and you do have a point for new readers.

The trouble with the reboot though is that everything was left dangling. None of the plot line were tied up except for 'it doesn't matter cause REBOOT'. If the plots had been resolved aside from Sonic V Robotnik there would be less hate. The other issue is a lot of characters have been lost, who will not be reintroduced for the new readers.

I can definitely understand that people who were actively invested in those loose threads are left unsatisfied, while newer readers simply can shrug them off. The reboot unfortunately was brute forced into the storyline because of the legal issues (I assume), and while I kinda like the way they handled it from a story perspective, its very apparant that they weren't left the grace of tying up those active plots beforehand.

For example, I was left wondering whatever is going to happen regarding Mighty and his sister. I'm sure a lot of people have such questions, especially long time readers. But its easier for me to simply appreciate the new plot and anticipate whatever new stuff they will be coming up with specifically because I don't have any deep ties with the previous characters/plotlines.

I think if archie had waited to finish some of the arc first before rebooting the series I think people will have less hate I don't even think Ian flynn was on board with the ideas but he had no other because that's his job but on deviantart Ian said he would make a comic that would finish up arc from the old universe called the lost hedgehog tales.

While the reboot was good on page it was executed wrong when I read it doesn't say I'm a different universe it just saying this is this is the sonic the hedgehog game with SatAM characters it pretty much like DC New 52 only people new to the series and half the long time fans like it but everyone else say it ruining.

I think that's what we can take home from this. Good on paper, executed with poor timing.

Is it really ruining it though? Or is it just different?

Ignoring the obvious problems of unfinished plot threads and lack of familiar characters, what makes the post-reboot story worse than the pre-reboot story? Is it really bad that the comics are similar to the games? I wouldn't say so, I'd say keeping the comic canon closer to the videogame canon is better because it's much easier for someone who enjoyed the games to jump into the comics. There's no fussing over whether something this game happened in the comic, or whether this character did this in the comic but that in the game.

Like the Unleashed arc that's happening now, I very much doubt they're going to stray very far from the videogame canon. A few details here and there will be different, like Sonic getting a face full of Gaia-gas instead of getting zapped by Eggman, for instance. All the major changes I imagine will be relegated to the comic adding things rather than changing them. There will be more stuff happening that's unique to the comics but the major points of the games will remain the same. Sonic turns into a werehog, the world is broken up, Dark Gaia is released, Chip is released, Chip helps Sonic & co use the Chaos emeralds to put the world back together while Eggman gathers Dark Gaia into a single place, and then Chip and Super Sonic will smack Dark Gaia around until it goes back to sleep. I can pretty much guarantee that all of that will still happen, it'll just have more in-between.

As long as the comics don't exclusively become retellings of the games. That's what some of the worry is about. If all the comics do is tell the same stories as the games, it doesn't matter how much more detail they put in, with the broad strokes known they'll be less to carry the comic.

Also, most people here won't take the 'comic is ruined' viewpoint. Just disappointed because some aspect we used to like has now gone/changed.

the thing i like about the pre reboot was it was more original( not saying that post reboot is not original in its own rights)

the thing i like about the pre reboot was it was more original( not saying that post reboot is not original in its own rights)

Plus must of the pre-reboot characters were relateable and have the major failure of lost world and rise of lyics/Shattered Crystal people will be more worry of the comics follow in the games footstep in the dark age of sonic 2.

The comics won't follow Rise of Lyric/Shatter Crystal. That's a separate continuity, and it has it's own comic line.

Well Maybe the Comics could have a deadly six back story which i would look forward to but if the comics aren't allowed to give game characters a back story then no i don't know how they can make the story better

I swear they already had a small prequel to lost world

But I don't see a backstory happening. Partly because of the hate towards the game partly because I just don't see them really fitting in with the comics

The prequel happened in a unique Special issue. It came out just after the reboot occurred, however, given that it's also been stated that Lost World hasn't taken place in the comics yet, it's probibly not canon.

I could see them doing a Lost World thing eventually. I bet they could do a better job in working in the Zeti then the games did... I mean, they just came out of nowhere.

I'm actually quite surprised they're tackling Unleashed, even though its not exactly the most relevant or loved games in the franchise. How they're handling it though, the werehog already makes a bit more sense than it did in the game. Story-wise, it could work out quite well. Quite eager to see where they take this.

Is it time for covers? I think it is!

StH_271_cover.jpgStH_271_var.jpg

Grab a front row seat for the finale to the brawl-iest, punch-iest, contest-iest Sonic comic saga yet! “Champions” Part Four: It’s the battle you’ve all been waiting for (again!): Sonic versus Knuckles—for the title and the Chaos Emerald! The old rivalry blazes to life as the True Blue and Rad Red throw down for glory—and for the fate of the entire world! But with the vengeful Hooligans waiting in the shadows, and Metal Sonic en route, will they even get to finish their fight, or will their foes beat them to the punch? Featuring new cover art from Sonic art legend Tracy Yardley and a super-special new ARCADE VARIANT by the latest Sonic art superstar RAFA KNIGHT!

That's it Tails, punch him right in the face...

Oh yeah. Opinions on this... hmm... seems interesting enough. Love Bean's expression on the main cover and... oh hey! There's the gruesome twosome, Scratch and Grounder! Honestly, despite us seeing Coconuts (with a redesign), I'm pretty surprised to see those two there. This is old stuff we're talking about. Also, if we have Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts plus a female hedgehog villain called Breezie, I am now pretty much certain this is the same Breezie from AOSTH. This is... pretty strange I have to say but I am interested to see

Oh yeah. And there's Honey in the variant. See her in all her glory

Finally... Worlds Collide is two issues from this one just for you guys to have an idea how long you need to wait for it

Sonic vs Knuckles how original Archie.

Well c'mon, who else is likely to make it to the final?

Only reason it didn't happen in Sonic X is cause Eggman showed up, and more is at stake this time.

Pretty sure they wouldn't have a fight where a villain would win which takes out Nack, Bean and Bark

Tails... sorry I like you but I don't think you're as cut out for this as the other 3

Sonic of course would make it to the final because he's Sonic

So that leaves Knuckles and Amy. Knuckles is "Sonic's friendly rival" who doesn't chuckle. So it's more logical for him to fight Sonic

It may not be original but it wouldn't make as much sense for anyone else

well sonic and knuckles have been the strongest characters in the series so far so it makes sense

What about honey I mean she new to the comics but she could of show us how tough she is.

Honey is a bit of wildcard for me really which is why I didn't include her. I've never played Sonic Fighters and don't know what role she will have here

It's a good point, why the "newbie" isn't fighting the main person however this goes back to

Knuckles is "Sonic's friendly rival" who doesn't chuckle

Where there is still logic with Knuckles being the one to fight Sonic. Just gonna point out, that it was Knuckles who ended up in the final against Emerl in Sonic X (I know it isn't canon, but it's still a good indicator) which kinda shows he's a pretty strong character

Nevertheless, until we actually see if Honey is any good, there's no way of knowing whether she's truly strong enough to match against Sonic or Knuckles

Well their really no story in sonic the fighters beside collect the 8 chaos emeralds and go to the death egg II and beat robotnik the end so I'm in question how their going to make an adaption of a game with barely any story to go off of.