Pendell

Vote: Does This Sound Like A Good Idea for a Sonic fanfic?

12 posts in this topic

I have an idea for a Sonic fanfiction I will be publishing to FanFiction.Net, though I want an opinion on if it really sounds like it could be good at all.

The basic idea is that writing a Sonic fanfiction is a shameful thing to do, because it has been done so many times that there are no original ideas anymore. Tristan, a teenager, is told to forget about it when he asks his buddy, Simon, if he should write a StH fanfiction, but he decides to write it anyways. From the beginning, it is painfully dull, taking the Sonic X route by dropping Sonic and his friends into the human world and having them hide from the humans as they fight to find the Chaos Emeralds. His story receives hateful comments.

Then, Tristan begins to notice incidents in his mediocre story begin to align with events happening in real life around him. For instance, he writes in that an old building in the slums of the city is demolished during a battle between Sonic and Robotnik. Then, a few hours later,a news report comes on about a mysterious trials of destruction in the downtown area of the city in which Tristan lives, the highlight of which was a bulding collapsing.

Tristan begins to believe he is controlling Sonic's world through his story, and despite everybody telling him he's nuts to think that, he continues to belive it firmly, taking his story as a responsibility. Though, Tristan begins to find that the story is taking over his life, consuming it. Every free second is spent working on it. He finds it unfair that he is left with the responsibilty of a world in his young hands, and he begins to go mad.

He wants to finish the story, bu knows it must end naturally, and that he cannot just delete it. He brings Shadow the Hedgehog into the story, and gives Robotnik a mind-control device to hypnotize Shadow into trying to obtain the Chaos Emeralds Sonic has collected. Tristan's story takes an eerily dark turn as Shadow brutally murders one of Sonic's freinds to try and scare Sonic into handing over the Emeralds. He locks himself in his room, devoting all his time to trying his hardest to torture the characters he once respected dearly.

I won't tell you the end, but the question it's supposed to leave you with is whether or not Sonic the Hedgehog really was in Tristan's world, and whether or not Tristan was controlling him.

What do you think? It's my first ever Sonic fanfiction, and I wanted to know if you Sonc fans think it has any potential.

I have to say it is interesting that you want to write a story about someone writing a story. And while I myself have no qualms with a dark storyline like this happening I can not say for sure the other will. You have my support should you choose to write this.

While your plot outline is not one that appeals to me (I've kinda been worn out by 'dark') the premise sounds really intriguing and you should go for it.

However, one stumbling block I can see.  If Tristan believes the Sonic's world is in his hands, why doesn't he push for a good ending, which would be easy enough to write, before he slides into darkness?  That would be the only flaw I can see.

Sounds pretty good to me. Although I too have seen more than enough of the "dark" side stories but these sort of things always interested me anyway. So go for it.

The very immediate problem of your fan fiction is it's too dark. Remember that grimdark in a supposedly kid-friendly setting like Sonic the Hedgehog (or cartoon animals in majority) will be easily subjected to criticism. I'm not saying it's not do-able, but you need to be extremely careful dealing with your story and you need to make sure you'll leave certain message or moral that can invoke positive reactions from the readers, toward the story, the characters, and toward you as a writer.

Writing a "human god" character who's also borderline insane is a very tricky thing to do. you cannot just torture the animals graphically without a reason: there's a risk of you going too far that the grimdark overshadows the plot and the message you're going to convey. On the other hand, you cannot write this kind of story without taking a peek at a psychological aspects of the characters: things will go too light and will make the whole thing not interesting. Your narrative needs to generate enough tension and empathy to "hook" the readers to stay until the end.

Personally, I don't recommend it. If you screw up by making characters too sadistic, out of characters, or/and even fail to deliver the meaningful ending and message to the readers, it's Sonic's reputation that will suffer the most. However, this is your choice. If you're really going for it, I recommend you reading some of short horror stories, particularly made by Edgar Allan Poe like The Black Cat or The Tell-Tale Heart, to enhance your techniques in writing the psychological horror genre.

I wish you the best of luck and writing development.

Edited by arekpowalan

Hm, it appears a part of the idea was not clarified well. This is also intended to be a parody of Sonic fan fictions. That's why it's dark, because that's been done so often. It has a lot of intentional generic aspects. And I do know the grimdark will go too far, I planned it that way. The whole story is supposed to be a complete what-the-F*ck, if you know what I mean.

I'm very sorry. I sorted of skipped the sentence that says you're making a parody.

Nevertheless, I still think the idea is risky. After all. There's also a chance your message won't get across the audience because of the "complete what-the-F*ck" story element. Things can turn out too silly or too offensive.

If you're sure you know what you're doing, though, that's fine. Just go for it. I'll be looking forward to read your work.

Edited by arekpowalan

I personally don't know what to say you know with different opinions. Though as the others have put it, it's too dark. But I wish you luck in your story.

To be honest, I don't mind dark stories myself. I've read some and they can work if done well. If done badly well... then it feels that it's dark for the sake of it rather than having a good story

Just make sure if its dark you throw in some character development and best of luck

While your plot outline is not one that appeals to me (I've kinda been worn out by 'dark') the premise sounds really intriguing and you should go for it.

However, one stumbling block I can see.  If Tristan believes the Sonic's world is in his hands, why doesn't he push for a good ending, which would be easy enough to write, before he slides into darkness?  That would be the only flaw I can see.

He can't warp the story or it's characters to his own will. While he is in control, at the same time he is not. He wanted it to be dark from the beginning, and tries to scrap his old plan for a new storyline that ends happily, but he finds it near impossible with... ahem, a certain THING driving him mad, pestering him constantly.

I'll post the link to the story very soon, once I get it going.

Why you gotta make Shadow the bad guy?!?!?!?!? Aside from that, this sounds like a pretty awesome story! You should go through with it, I'd certainly read it.