Shadow

Last to post wins v3.0

27541 posts in this topic

The little Fennekin was wide awake at night he had nothing to do! He didn't want to sleep just yet. There were so many things he still hadn't done. So many new places to explore. But most of all he wanted to see what the mysterious cellar had in store.

(HA! XD good one!)

The little Fennekin quietly walked down the stairs to the first floor slowly making his way towards the cellar door. But when he finally reached the door he saw something... Odd. The door was half way open. "That can't be" he thought. His dad always closes the cellar door so that the cold air wouldn't spread around the house. For some reason the cellar was always quite cold. The little fennekin slowly opened the door a bit more and felt the cold air coming from downstairs. "H-Hello? D-Dad?" He asked quietly. There was no answer.

He slowly made his way downstairs, each step made a small sound like a small suffocated scream, the cold air surrounding the little fennekin made him feel more nervous as he reached the final step before his little paws felt the ice cold cellar floor. There was no sound at all. Just pitch black darkness. The fennekin looked around trying to see the his surroundings as the figures in the cellar became more and more clear. Finally when his eyes had gotten used to the darkness he could see some old boxes filled with toys, clothes, and miscellaneous items. He could also see some old furniture, but what really got his interest was a smaller box placed right in the middle of the cellar. As if it was waiting for someone to open it. 

Poor cold Fennekin... no Fennekin should suffer that way

(I know :C )

The little fennekin carefully looked at the box, it wasn't as dusty and old looking as all of the other stuff he had seen, actually it was in fact the opposite. It looked new and clean, as if someone had just put it there. The fennekin could swear he heard some voices when he took few steps closer to the box. He then put his little paws on it and sniffed the box. It didn't smell weird, so he thought whatever was inside must be safe. He heard no sound either so it couldn't have been a bomb either. He then opened the box. He closed his eyes for a second almost waiting something to jump right at him but when nothing happened he slowly opened his big brown eyes again and he saw a mask.

It was quite odd looking little mask. It was completely black but the carvings were dark grey. It reminded the fennekin about those ritual masks he had seen in the movies, wore by the Indians. It looked VERY familiar but the fennekin couldn't remember why. That's when he heard the voices again. A silent whispers coming from all around him. The fennekin made small ember to scare what or whoever was talking to him away, but instead the whispers only became louder, now he could clearly hear the words: "get out." He backed away from the box and looked towards the stairs, he tried to run but his little paws wouldn't move. He was scared, he wanted to scream but no words came out from his mouth, and then he saw it.

*falls out of tree in suspense*

What?  What did he see?

Right in front of him. A shadow. It came closer, and closer, till it was mere inches away from his face. He could feel the shadow's breath on his face, and it almost silent yet almost hypnotic voice was what made his little heart race even faster: "My mask..." It said. As cold sweat fell down his forehead he stared at the shadow wide eyed: "W-What..?" his voice died at the end. The shadow's two little red glowing eyes looked at the little fennekin's horrified brown ones. "Why... Did you take my mask...?" It asked. As the fennekin slowly backed away towards the stairs he answered the shadow: "I never.. I never took your mask!" He answered with a high pitched scream which he was sure would wake even his parents, yet no sound could be heard from upstairs. The shadow slowly turned to look at the little fennekin. ".....iar." It said silently.  "What..?" The fennekin asked as he felt his paw hit the first stair. "LIAR!" The shadow yelled and threw the box across the floor towards the fennekin. He looked at it. It was empty. How could it be empty? He had just seen it with his own eyes. The odd looking mask. There was no one else except him, the shadow and the darkness. Even though the shadow had no face the little fennekin knew it was furious. As the shadow took the first step towards him, so did he take the first step upstairs. He quickly turned around and ran upstairs as fast as he could. He felt the shadow right behind him for a second he thought it would grab him but it didn't. When he finally reached the final step he turned around to close the door. He saw the shadow half way the stairs. It looked at the floor it's head down. Almost.. sad. "....don't want.....to...hurt anyone..." It said before looking towards the fennekin almost as if begging for forgiveness.

*shivering and whimpering* That shadow is mean!

The fennekin quickly slammed the door shut and ran upstairs. He covered himself with his favorite flame patterned blanket and tried to sleep. The odd mask appeared in his dream. It was as if it had become one with his face! He tried to take it off but he couldn't. He tried to breath but there was no air. He was feeling dizzy, shadows came closer to him swallowing him into the land of eternal darkness and then, he woke up.

He made his way downstairs to his mother and father and as soon as he saw them both he hugged them tightly: "Mom! Dad!" He yelled. "I saw awful nightmare about this shadow in our cellar! It blamed me about stealing his mask and then it tried to capture me!" He said. His father pat his head and looked at him: "Now now son. You know as well as we all do that there are no monsters or creepy shadows in this house. Besides you know that we don't have a cellar!" 

Ahhhh! *jumps like a Rocket and clings to a tree branch*

"But d-dad. I was just there last night!" the little fennekin said with a shy voice. "But how could you have been there? The last owners sealed the entire room. Now there's only enough room to use what used to be the end of the stairs as a closet!" His father said with a laugh. "But.. I saw it.. and the mask.. that odd bird-like mask.. a-and the shadow!" He insisted. "Son. I'm telling you as I've been telling you since we moved here, there is NOTHING wrong with this house or that mask!" He pointed at the black mask on top of the fire place. The morning sun shining through the window made it's eyes look almost real. "You've been telling those odd stories about that mask, and the shadow for a month now. I know you're still getting used to this place but please son. No more ghost stories." He hugged his son tightly once more. Only now could the little fennekin fully remember what the shadow had said last night when it suddenly stopped: "I don't want it to hurt anyone..." It had said. The little fennekin looked at the mask one last time and he could have sworn that he just saw it smiling a bit.