8 posts in this topic

Here is a topic related to Sonic Fanon in general.
(and, I am NOT trying to start an argument.
  just discuss something in the fandom that I have noticed.)

Now..OC's and FC's is already a touchy subject for ANY fandom.
but, It's a unique case for the Sonic Fandom.

I am talking of course about Human OC's
(Not "Humanized" characters. but actual Humans.)

because when it comes to Sonic OC's who are Humans, and not Anthropomorphic Animals.
the odds of said characters gaining ANY recognition, much less popularity is slim.

(It doesn't help that most major human characters in Sonic Canon haven't been well liked.
  which those like Chris Thornedyke, and Princess Elise facing the most criticism.)

as despite said OC's being created for the Sonic Fandom..
most, if not all fandom moderators (EX: DeviantART Fan Groups) deny them due to not so obvious connection to the franchise.

(which is completely understandable. given that "Sonic Style" mostly applies to animals,
  and Humans in 'Sonic Style' themselves aren't too easy to deviate from non-sonic fandoms.)

It's getting that Sonic OC's either HAVE to be Animals to be recognized, and/or accepted.
(which would sorta explaine the "Anthroized" concepts of Maria Robotnik, and such)
OR, if they are human, they have to look like Eggman, or something (which is truly frightening.)

Is this like some unintentional prejudice on the fandom's part?
or, just an unfortunately situation that has been 'overlooked.'

Edited by MetroXLR99

The main characters in Sonic are anthropomorphic animals, with humans as the background or at best minor side characters.  (Eggman and Sonic X being the exceptions).  And as such the fans of the series tend to be those who like anthro-animal characters.  So when creating an OC for the Sonic franchise, they will tend to be anthro by default.  

I would say excluding human OC's from Sonic isn't a good way to go, but they do have to FIT the universe.  (Of course, given some people out there like twisting the Sonic universe so much that even a WH40K Chaos Space Marine would go "Hey, don't you think you're over doing the grim-dark a little?" fitting the universe can be subjective.)

Also, as a further point, there IS a Sonic artstyle for humans.  Look at all the side characters in Sonic Unleashed.  It's just we haven't seen any more humans in game since.

I think the idea this "fando moderators" might defend is that if you create a human OC in Sonic universe, then it should be just a manga? character, I suppose.

I'm fine with human chars in the Sonic world, and if there are Animal OCs, why can't there be humans? I guess if that character is linked to G.U.N. or the royalty of Soleanna or any human organization/group seen in the franchse, even the most "racist" (I dunno how else to refer to those) fans would have to admit that your human character is part of the Blue Blur's world.

1 person likes this

The only trouble I have with Human OC's is they tend to be more likely to pick up a gun than your average mobian, which means they are actually more likely to slip into Dark territory if someone ends up getting shot.

It seems to be a bigger problem with guns than it does with swords, throwing fire around, death rays etc etc  I dunno why!

Handled well, there is nothing wrong with humans whatsoever.  But unlike Mobian OC's where you can usually see the bad character coming a mile off, a bad human might slip past the radar till it's too late. 

1 person likes this

The only trouble I have with Human OC's is they tend to be more likely to pick up a gun than your average mobian

Shadow doesn't aprove this. xD

Yeah, I get the idea, since humans doesn't have powers...

Shadow is hardly what you'd call 'average' ;) 

Yes, it does make sense.  And it's not so much the guns I have trouble with.  It's the type of injuries, and thus stories, they seem to bring with them.  

I think I see where you're going...

...blood'n gore, right?

Yep, exactly.

You just don't get that with laser weapons despite the fact they'd probibly do worse damage in real life!