HollyYoshi

Favorite Version of Green Hill Zone?

7 posts in this topic

The_beginning.png

Green Hill Zone. By far one of the most iconic gaming levels of all time. Debuting in the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis in 1991, it was the first experience many fans had with the series. Representing the tropical level trope, it is a colorful, picturesque level that boasts palm trees, totem poles, rotating flowers, large waterfalls, and most famously, brown checkered soil. Obstacles include not only the series’ iconic shuttle loops, but spikes, collasping platforms, swings, and rotating poles with spikes on them. Some of Eggman’s most iconic Badnicks appear in this level, including Motobug, Crabmeat, and Buzzbomber.

Future Sonic games would feature levels similar to Green Hill. These include Emerald Hill Zone from Sonic 2, Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes, and Windy Hill from Sonic Lost World. However, Sonic 1 would not be the last time people traversed through Green Hill itself, as the level has had several iterations over the years. These include;

Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)

8bitS1GreenHill.png

Unlike most versions of this level, this Game Gear iteration contains a few underwater sections in Act 2. These can be found in a cave area. Otherwise, it is similar to other versions.

Sonic Blast

Green_Hill_Blast.png
This version is unique in that it seems more ‘realistic’ and less ‘cartoony’ than what people expect of Green Hill Zone – instead of the iconic checkered landscape, it settles for a more natural look to it.

Sonic Adventure 2

240px-Green_Hill_05.jpg

Unlocked by collecting all 180 emblems, this marks the first time the level has appeared in 3D. It is near identical in layout to the classic Sonic 1 iteration of the stage.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

242px-Chronicles_Green_Hill.png

Presented with an isometretic view fitting for an RPG, Chronicles’ Green Hill Zone is a bit more realistic than as seem in most other games, but still shares a few of the more cartoony features of past games, like the checkerboard soil.

Sonic Generations

242px-H2_01.png

Green Hill Zone was one of the levels from past Sonic games to be remade for the 20th anniversary game. While it is based primarily on the level from the original game, it also shares a few elements from other levels in the series. The most notable of these are the corkscrews that appeared in Sonic 2’s Emerald Hill Zone. In the 3DS version of the game however, Act 1 is identical to the iteration of Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1.

With all these different versions, there is probably that one people like the best out of all of them. For me, I’d have to place Generations’ as my favorite, with that preference going to Act 1 in the console version of the game. For one thing, the level looks positively gorgeous! Sonic Generations ran on the Hedgehog Engine used in Unleashed and Darn if it doesn’t show here;

Sonic_Generations_-_Green_Hill_-_Game_Sh

Sonic-the-hedgehog-20th-anniversary-proj

Sonic_Generations_-_Green_Hill_-_Game_Sh

Look at that lighting people. Bathe in its beauty.

I’m of the belief that, visually, the series works best with a style I’d like to call ‘cartoony realism’, for lack of a better term. And this is one of those stages that best represents what I like to see in the games. The stage is highly detailed, but without sacrificing any sense of abstractness – it’s a nice balance that I find works well here.

The overall layout and level design is lovely as well, and is among one of my favorite in the game. There’s a good balance of both speed and platforming, fitting for such a character as Sonic.

So, Sonic SCANF, what version of Green Hill Zone do you prefer? Are you one of those that believes you can’t go wrong with the original? Do you find SA2’s to be a fitting reward for all your hard work in the game? Or do you agree with me and love Generations ' rendition? Maybe you like one I didn't list on here. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts. =)

As far as you have shown here, Sonic Generations's version is indeed looks the best. I like the one in Sonic Chronicles too, but there are better looking and functioning dungeons in that game than Green Hill Zone.

I say Sonic Adventure 2's green hill zone because it keep everything we love about the original, my second would have to be Sonic Chronicles's green hill zone, and the third would be generations's.

My personal favorites are:

Sonic 1 and Sonic Generations.

I kind of like Sonic Generations and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood versions...

Oh right and of course the orginial Green Hill Zone is awesome. It's where it all started and thanks to the first game it got the chance to develop even further and ever more beautiful like seen in Sonic Generations. (So basically we can only thank the first game for the Generations version)