Shadow

Count to 550 before a mod or admin posts!

25524 posts in this topic

23 Yes Vikings are from the Baltic Sea and spread over north europe.

Dylan I am sure english people have also slang-words :P

A famous quote here in my region is "Uffgepasst die hesse kumme!"

"Danger, the Hessen/Hessian (it is one region in Germany) are comming!" because in the American Revolutionary War the enermies have the fear of them because the Hessen are men with discipline and a strong heart. The enermies hear the drums of the army, so they say "Danger the Hessians are comming!" :P

No, I'll probably forget it all soon ;)

History generally isn't boring to me. Some of it is depressing, some of it IS boring but generally I enjoy it

Ah! Okay, Centaur man

So that's what it meant. xD

Ah! I guess one of the most well known phrases spoken by foreigners (especially the artists) here at our place is...

Mahal ko kayong lahat. Mabuhay!

Sounds interesting. What does it mean

Oh. it seems I forgot. I'm sorry.

Err, let's see now. The first sentence Mahal ko kayong lahat means I love you all.While mabuhay means long live. So it basically means... I love you all, long live (insert additional noun here) because context wise, shouting the sentence in English is a bit weird. xD

Yeah, it's like that with many languages. Literal translations of Norwegian make you sound like Yoda

Haha. Yoda speak. But yes I'm totally in agreement there. xD Sometimes, text in its original tongue losses its whole meaning when translated to another one. That's why I salute those who do their best to make the translations close to their original meanings. xD

Edited by Inuki

I salute them too

(Number)

Ah. The power of languages. xD

(I know. xD)

But what is your native language Inukui? Isn't like in brazil, that brazilian people don't speak brasilian but portuguese? There isn't a language like philipean, right?

Edited by Centaur Man

It's complicated to write my question down in english! :'D

Edited by Centaur Man

No, I understand it. I just don't know :P

But what is your native language Inukui? Isn't like in brazil, that brazilian people don't speak brasilian but portuguese? There isn't a language like philipean, right?

Well. Our native language is Filipino (derived from the language of the northern part of the country - Tagalog) And as for the European language influence... Since the Spanish colonized us, one would assume that we speak Spanish but sadly it's not true. Out of the three countries that colonized us (Spain, USA and Japan), English was the one that remained in our culture. Though some of our words do have Spanish origins, like arroz caldo (rice porridge).Other than that, even though we were under Spain for 333 years, Spanish is already a dead language to us in the modern day.

Silly Spanish for trying to occupy and making it your language :P

1 person likes this

And in school what do you learn? English and Spanish AND your native language?

And in school what do you learn? English and Spanish AND your native language?

Well, we learn English and Filipino at an early age. I think Spanish was only taught at given colleges but not my school.

And personally, I know 5 languages - English, Filipino and 3 local dialects. xD

Silly Spanish for trying to occupy and making it your language :P

I know. There was a campaign here before that demands that we should make Spanish an official language of the country as to pay homage to our colonial past. Seriously, I'd rather prefer that they teach us how to write properly in Baybayin (our pre-colonial writing system) and implement that across the country (most of our texts are written in the alphabet and most of the people don't even know how to write in baybayin lest alone, know it.)

Edited by Inuki

44 TOO Much 2 handle! Well we have to learn German, English and Spanish (or French)

I know a lot of dialects in Germany, but you can understand it when you know the basics.

Edited by Centaur Man

Why would you want reminding that your country used to belong to another???

Edit: We only have to learn English. French was compulsory up to a certain point too and for some, German. And in Norway, Norwegian was compulsory too

So i can speak English fluently and some French and some Norwegian

46 well English is your native language right? You have to know it xP

After 6 years I think I can speak the german language but sometimes I have my problems.

It is and it's the only one I learned properly. I stubbornly held off learning Norwegian properly. As I had done with English at first