Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IcedCoffee

Newbie question

10 posts in this topic

Hey all. <:

I'm new here, and I've only recently been looking into the Sonic Archie comics. So far, I'm really interested in the

newer series with the more modern art style over the older, original comics.

My question is, do I need to read these comics sequentially or can I just jump in at any time? (Providing it's not a special two part comic)

I looked around a little and bought myself a copy of the 'Super Sonic Special Issue 8' for a pretty decent price and I'd figure that

I might be able to start there!

Well, First, welcome to the forum Iced:)

To answer your question, The comic actually started to have a plot ... back in the 25th Issue . So, it really depend of your interest.

Well, First, welcome to the forum Iced:)

To answer your question, The comic actually started to have a plot ... back in the 25th Issue . So, it really depend of your interest.

Oh really? I'll try reading from the 25th issue. I was reading the first couple of Sonic comics and wondered how this could continue on for

so long with no real plot. I'll check that out. Thanks. :)

The comics love to refer back to older comics using boxes like "as seen in #124". Sometimes it is important, Sometimes not. If you really can't stand, 175 might be considered a good starting point as it is the start of a new knothole. Even though, you will still miss some information but if that isn't a problem for you, that would be a nice start.

I'd go with issue #252 due to the fact there is an altered timeline that is to stay.

Then , let's go back to "sonic Genesis " , It's more or less the best of both world.

But if you go to #252, your knowledge of the world is at Sonic's level!

Welcome to Sonic Scanf IcedCoffee! I recommend Sonic #160 though, #200 and Sonic Genesis are good starts too, you'll just love Ian's writing despite not having a good understanding of the characters or places. But let me give you a summary of the entire series...

• Issues 1 to 20 are very comedic and there is absolutely no plot at all, I have a soft spot for it, but there are really a lot of bad puns here and there. A lot of characters introduced in this era would appear much later having more larger roles. Harvey Hoo and Hip and Hop are some examples.
    • Issues 21 to 50 is when the comic starts to have a plot and slowly becomes more serious. This era is considered a favourite by many of the long time fans of the series as this is the period where it resembles the SATam cartoon the closest. Worth the read and major stuff happens during this time that will be referenced many times later.
      • Issues 51 to 100 is is also a good period, although many people don't seem to care about this era there are a lot of good ideas used for this era and it's personally my favourite. Sonic and Tails travelling the world and doing awesome stuff. Knuckles' series starts at this time as well and they have very good stories, occasionally crossing over with Sonic's story where they team up alongside their respective supporting cast. With issue 100, the quality of the story starts to drop at this point and I'll explain below..

• Issues 101 to 159 is what everybody views as the most horrible and worst part of the entire series. They all hold almost no value whatsoever to the plot and really had a lot of stupid ideas. (I like to point out some people view this dark era starting with 88 or so, but I don't feel it is) Issues 101 to 107 are decent though, but artist Ron Lim had killed the comic by this point, the only good things are the stories themselves. Issue 108's back story is the epilogue to the whole Overlander storyline that begun with issue 92. HOWEVER, I must point out that although this era was really crappy there are some good story arcs during this time that are either worth the read or important to the continuing plot..

[*]The love triangle between Sonic, Sally and Mina continues with issues 109(backstory), 120, 121(backstory) and finally 122 and 123, but will continue with 153 and 154 which ties it up completely. It's up to you if want to follow this, still referenced a few times later in the comic.

[*]Issues 124 and 125 is worth the read and rather important. I highly recommend it, it's really epic. The whole of Mobius teams up to defeat the Xorda who are aliens bent on destroying planet, but it doesn't turn out well for Sonic..

[*]Issues 126 to 129 is the Tossed in Space arc which focuses on Sonic travelling back to Mobius after the whole Xorda incident, interesting stories presented here.

[*]Issues 130 to 134 is the Home arc with Sonic finally returning to Mobius with a lot of drama happening here. Quite good also, but issue 134 features Sonic and Sally's breakup that will continue into the plot until this day.

[*]Issues 138 to 141 is the Return to Angel Island arc which is one that's important to Knuckles story, and another which I would highly recommend with it being a very good arc. Jon Gray pencils the entire arc with his very stylish skill, you will either like it of hate it.

[*]You can also try Issues 145 to 149, but it's meh, good plot but stupid dialogue. Unless you really want to see Shadow and Metal Sonic in action, the whole thing goes nowhere as writer Ken Penders left before he did what he wanted with it.

[*]You can try 152 also as it introduces the Nanites which would be very important for the story later concerning Sonic's new home. If not you can probably skip it, once again interesting plot but stupid dialogue.

[*]Issues 157 to 159 is also meh, but it would be important for a particular someone who is backstabbing Eggman who will rise later in Ian's stories.

[*]You might also want to check out Mobius X Years later storyline, a possible future for Sonic himself, this is completely optional. Starting with the back stories of issue 131 to issue 144.

Yup, all those issues I never mentioned just avoid, not worth it or important.

[*]Issues 160 onwards is where Ian Flynn takes over the writing and the comic feels newly afresh with his writing skills. His stories are all worth reading and you'll enjoy it I'm sure. A lot of lose ends from the horrible period of the comic is tied up at the beginning of this era. It might bore you but the stories are personally still enjoyable. Sonic Universe issues would start during this time, focusing on other characters besides Sonic, awesome as well. And the reboot with issue 252 you should know about already.

Just take it from someone who has read like all the issues. You will need to use Mobius Encyclopaedia to help guide you on the continuity of the issues so you don't get lost, since there's Miniseries, Knuckles issues, Super Specials and so forth that take place within the continuity. I hope you'll have an awesome time reading and enjoying the stories and your stay here. :)

2 people like this

Welcome newbie :) I was going to provide a few recommendations, but I see Simon's really beaten me to it :P But you may want a chance at reading the Super Sonic VS Hyper Knuckles story. Pretty mighty with all the super form clashing.