Tara

Inspector Gadget (2015 series)

8 posts in this topic

I posted this elsewhere and figured I'd post it here as well.

Inspector Gadget, a memorable cartoon from your 80's and 90's nostalgia, will be returning to syndicated television after... well, quite a while.  For those who for some reason don't know about Inspector Gadget, he's basically a half-robot, half-human detective who is equipped with a vast array of often useless gadgets to help him thwart the plans of the evil Dr. Claw.  Unfortunately, he's a bit of a doofus and so his niece, Penny, and family dog, Brain, are often tasked with saving the day while no one is any the wiser.  It's a charming little show and one very near and dear to my heart.

As long as we forget about those two movies of... ahem... dubious quality.

From Wikipedia:

A new CGI-animated Inspector Gadget TV series has been in development since at least the start of 2012, possibly earlier. It was commissioned by Teletoon Canada, which will air the show, and put into preproduction by The Cookie Jar Company. In January 2012, the in-development show was mentioned by Ray Sharma, the CEO of XMG Studio, which produced the hit mobile game "Inspector Gadget: M.A.D. Dash". Sharma described how the success of the game had resulted in a new TV series being in the making: "We did 1 million downloads in a week, and it's reinvigorated the TV brand with a new TV series in production." In September 2012, Cookie Jar issued a short press release about the upcoming series, as part of the advertising for it during the MIPCOM market that October, stating: "Cookie Jar Entertainment is celebrating Inspector Gadget’s 30th anniversary with the launch of a brand-new series with its Canadian broadcast partner TELETOON. The series will again revolve around the iconic bionic bumbling detective." On June 9, 2013, Teletoon officially announced the reboot show with two press pictures of Gadget's new look as well as a press release: "MAD Agents, look out! Criminals, beware! Bystanders … take cover! Inspector Gadget is back to battle Dr. Claw with all-new gadgets – and all-new gadget-related chaos. But the loveable, bumbling, accidentally-destructive Inspector is not alone in the fight to take down MAD. His ever trusty police-dog, Brain, is still by his side and he's getting extra crime-fighting help from his new partner, Inspector-in-training Penny (voiced by Tara Strong). With MAD more powerful than ever and with the arrival of Dr. Claw's evil-genius (and totally crush-worthy) nephew, Penny and Brain will need to use every ounce of their training to keep the world safe from Dr. Claw … and Gadget." The series is being produced by DHX Media, which purchased Cookie Jar in 2012. According to a DHX Media distribution catalogue released as a PDF on January 15, 2014, the show is set to premiere in 2015.

On December 4, 2014, it was announced that the series has 26 episodes and that it would air on Boomerang's international channels in 2015.

Why so many stuff to watch come around at the same time?! D:

New Gadget Series?? O_O oh my god.. and I still haven't watch Sonic Boom or RWBY or KND!! DX or my anime!!!

Oh, I forgot to link in the OP.  There's a two minute preview of an episode here.

It looks really cute, but one thing that sort of bothers me is how overdone the orchestration is in the slapstick bits.  A little bit of musical emphasis on the slapstick bits is always welcome, but they really blow all subtlety out the window with this.  Hopefully that's just a problem with these two minutes and not a recurring theme in the series, but still.

wow... O_O just... wow... I mean I remember watching the old Gadget animation and now this?? o-o cool. hopefully it is as good as the older cartoon I loved that show. it was funny (tried to be educational) and it was smart too (at times) and the villain's voice just... awesome... 

I used to watch Inspector Gadget all the time while growing up! It's good to see them bringing it back... I just hope it's done well.

I actually enjoyed the first movie. It was a good bit off from the show, but it was still enjoyable. I also might be biased since it was shot in Pittsburgh, PA, my hometown.

A new Gadget series? I haven't seen any episodes or movies to the Inspector Gadget franchise in years, so I really don't have a solid opinion on the subject. I enjoyed the cartoons when I watched the on TV a little over a decade ago and I wasn't a big fan of the movies. But, seeing Gadget return to his cartoon roots after so many years is nice. I'll watch the new Gadget series when it's on every now and then; but like the old cartoons, I won't go out of my way to watch it religiously.

really hope it's got the same charm as the old cartoon show had... I did like the movie too (the first one was good second.. was.. good enough?) but.. not going to hope too much though.. but it could be good.