18 posts in this topic

I'm obviously new here (joined to look at the comics; therefore I could use them as a reference when sketching without getting my actual comics out). But I also want to contribute :D

So, Nintendo and Sega obviously signed a deal where the next 3 Sonic games would be excluisve to Nintendo consoles. The first is Sonic Lost World (3DS & Wii U), the second being Mario & Sonic at the Soshi 2014 Winter Oympics (for 3DS and Wii U, but has this been confirmed by Sega as one of the 3 games???), and the 3rd is unknown at the time. I thought this deal would last for at least a year or two, but it turns out all three titles will be released before the end of 2013, as reported by Nintendo Germany. So the question is; what is the third game????

Now, it did cross my mind that it could simply be 3D Classics: Sonic the Hedgehog on the 3DS (already released in Japan), which is just simply the original (possibly Christian Whitehead's ver. that is on iOS devices already) with enhanced graphics and 3D effects (anyone with a 3DS is familiar with the 3D Classics series, as Nintendo has already released Kirby Adventure, Kid Icarus, Excitebike and several other retro games). Or, although I doubt it, all of the GameGear games that are being released on the 3DS eShop could be considered the "third game", though I know that's a bit of a stretch (includes games like Labyrinth, Drift 2, Tails Adventure, Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, among others, and the one I'm most excited for, Sonic Blast).

So, if it's not re-releases of previous Sonic games, what is it? There hasn't been a game with Sonic in it since Racing Transformed, and Sonic games have been releasing less frequently than they used to (not necessarily a bad thing, as the quality seems to be better for recent games). But back in 2010, there were 3 Sonic games AND a re-release; Sonic Adventure HD, Sonic 4: Ep. 1, Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Colors, and then a hand-held version of Colors (so technically 4 different games). So apparantly there is the same amount of games this year. If you consider Sega releasing the same type of Sonic games that they did back in 2010, you have a main game for a hand-held and a console (2010:Colors 2013:Lost World), a re-release (2010:Sonic Adventure 2013:3D STH), a spin-off (2010:Free Riders 2013:M&S, for both a console and a handheld). So, is the thrid game a new, downloadable Sonic title exclusive to the Wii U???

So I want to know what everyone here thinks! I know I've probably went on fo too long, but I'll at least at least list the possibilities I've come up with:

-Sonic Rush 3D: I highly doubt it, but it's been awhile since we've had a Sonic game that is exclusive to a hand-held, as all of the main-series hand-held games have just had the same title as the main-series console games (albeit several differences in terms of gameplay and levels)

-Sonic Riders Wii U: We're about due for a new Riders game, and it would be great to get back to what made Riders such an awesome game. The tablet/Wii remote combination would open the door for many possible control schemes. Personally, I loved Zero Gravity (never got a chance to try free Riders); the accuracy of the Wii Remote and the amount of content and characters made it one of my favorite spin-offs surprisingly. I would love to get a new one, especially since it seemed like the Riders game for Kinect had to trim down on some features to fit with the controller-free peripheral.

-Sonic Chronicles 2 (3DS): I can dream, can't I? I know there's that lawsuit with Ken Penders hanging over the series, as well as the fact that the first Chronicles didn't sell all that well. But the ending was, y'know, just the biggest cliff-hanger I've seen while playing video games. I've been dying to see what happend next, but I'm afraid we'll never get to see what Mobius would look like after Eggman's successful take-over :(

-Sonc the Hedgehog 4: Episode 3: This is actually the game that could be that third title. There are a few things that still make it unlikely; Ep. 1 was for all consoles, but Ep. 2 was not on any Nintendo consoles, so I doubt Ep. 3 would be exclusive to the Wii U. However, I could definitely see Sega releasing a $40-$50 retail game that includes Episodes 1, 2 and Metal, and maybe even Episode 3 (supposedly the last part of Sonic 4) with some extra content or even enhancing Episodes 1, 2 and Metal with episode 3, therefore making each part have the same gameplay/physics. Plus, I thought Sonic 4's ending was left un-resolved at the end of Ep. 2, so it would be nice to have some closure. And I want to play as Knuckles already!!! XD

So what does everyone think? And after the three games, do you think Sega should continue to make Sonic a Nintendo-exclusive? Personally, Colors was the best-selling Sonic game of all-time on Wii. Plus, Sega could really benefit from Nintendo's guidance and resources; therefore I think Sonic would fit perfectly on Wii U and 3DS. Even in Smash Bros. Brawl, Sonic fit right in with all of the Nintendo characters.

Well personally, I think we could be looking at a new story book game, but I heard a rumour that is may be a racing game featuring Sega and Nintendo characters. Whatever it might be, I'm very certain we'll be seeing three Sonic games for Wii U.

I'm expecting it to be a story book game too. Sega comfirmed there will be another and also a last within the spin-off titles.

My second arguement might be the topic of the story book game. They went from the Arabian Nights to The Middle Age. I don't know what to expect next, but pirates might be the most obvious choice (although we've got Rush Adventure already). Probably that's the reason too why the next arc of Sonic Universe will be about pirates (as seen in the Sonic Universe comic topic) but it could have nothing to do with it at the same time.

I would love to sonic chronicles 2 though, but hopefully they change the combat system. It was awful with all respect.

I also heard rumors, which were comfirmed too if I'm correct, that there will be a final sports game (After tennis and racing). If this will be another racing game or a brand new sport is yet to be comfirmed.

To be fair Rush Adventure wasn't really a pirate game in the sense that I don't remember Sonic doing much swashbuckling. i don't even think he got a hat. Not much of a pirate. So a storybook possibly tying in with the new Sonic Universe could be interesting. Gameplay wise, someone in the Lost World thread mentioned boarding ships by boosting across the water and then taking on the crew, if I remember correctly. That definitely sounds like it'd be fun. I'm guessing the game would switch between traditional platforming and combat sections with a cutlass or something. And seeing as this would be on the Wii U the controls would definitely be much better as you have a control pad instead of motion controls. As for the final sports game, I'm personally hoping for something similar to Sonic the Fighters, but obviously with the modern cast. Failing that, while I wouldn't mind seeing another racing game it'd be a little strange considering Transformed only came out last November. They've still yet to release the DLC characters for it.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Sonic Chronicles 2, I still have Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and I actually enjoy beating the game over and over again.

1 person likes this

To be fair Rush Adventure wasn't really a pirate game in the sense that I don't remember Sonic doing much swashbuckling. i don't even think he got a hat. Not much of a pirate. So a storybook possibly tying in with the new Sonic Universe could be interesting. Gameplay wise, someone in the Lost World thread mentioned boarding ships by boosting across the water and then taking on the crew, if I remember correctly. That definitely sounds like it'd be fun. I'm guessing the game would switch between traditional platforming and combat sections with a cutlass or something. And seeing as this would be on the Wii U the controls would definitely be much better as you have a control pad instead of motion controls. As for the final sports game, I'm personally hoping for something similar to Sonic the Fighters, but obviously with the modern cast. Failing that, while I wouldn't mind seeing another racing game it'd be a little strange considering Transformed only came out last November. They've still yet to release the DLC characters for it.

I agree with you on the controls part Shadow. A story book game about pirates would seem fitting, considering there's a new Sonic Universe arc about them. It could also be a western, but I have doubts on that idea. What I'd like to see in a Sonic game really, is appearances from the comic characters. It would be interesting to see such a thing happen.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Sonic Chronicles 2, I still have Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and I actually enjoy beating the game over and over again.

Definitely! I'm on like the end of my third playthrough (just talking about it makes me want to play it again! lol).

I agree with you on the controls part Shadow. A story book game about pirates would seem fitting, considering there's a new Sonic Universe arc about them. It could also be a western, but I have doubts on that idea. What I'd like to see in a Sonic game really, is appearances from the comic characters. It would be interesting to see such a thing happen.

I completely forgot about a Sonic storybook game; I too heard the rumor that there would be one more after Black Knight. If I remember correctly though, after such negative reviews for black Knight, I thought I heard something about sega scrapping the Storybook series??? It is a possibilty it could tie-in with Universe, but IMO the comic arc looks more like a follow-up to Treasure Team Tango, excpet this time taking place in Blaze's world. There will more than likely be Cpt. Whiskers and his crew, but I doubt Sonic will make an appearence (except for the cover of part 1, just like Treasure Team tango) and I don't think the actual story will have much of a pirate theme, outside of the characters fighting pirates. However, I would give ANYTHING for a game with characters like scourge, Finitevus and Shard! Even downloadable, I don't care XD

Regardless, I'm kind of hoping it's not (plus i doubt Sega would release a main adventure-based game, and a spin-off adventure based game that close together, as many would choose between the two). Secret Rings was good, but it's defintiely aged in comparison to Unleashed Wii and colors; Secret Rings is one of the few Sonic games I never completed just because the controls could be so irritating (tho when it came out, it was impressive. Nowadays,, there's Zero Gravity and how many first-party Wii games that have much better accuracy). I really liked Black Knight, but it too has aged to me; the gameplay wasnt quite up to par to begin with, I more liked it for the concept, characters, ideas and of course, the fan-art slideshows :D

I dunno if Sumo digital could make another Sega All-Stars game so quickly after Transformed, and Nintendo/Sega kart is a possibility. I think that rumor could actually turn out to be Mario/Nintendo Kart, with at least 1 character from the Sonic the Hedgehog universe unlockable.

These are some great ideas though; I completely forgot about the comment by Steve Lycett, as well as the storybook Series XD

BTW did anyone figure out what the "red herring" clue on hedgehog day was about??? Was it just a false clue? From what I heard, it might have something to do with Sonic & Knuckles, as S&K's original name while in develpement was "Project: Red Herring".

Just wanted to mention that Sega has comfirmed the third installment will NOT be released in 2013:

*(Sonic UPDATE - Third Title NOT Releasing In 2013)*

Confirmed by SEGA themselves, the third and final title in the exclusivity deal with the Sonic series will not be arriving in 2013. Whatever it is, we hope it's big and grand! Maybe SA3...?

Also, BOTH, the Lost World title, and the new Mario and Sonic, will be releasing on the 3DS system as well as the Wii U console.

...We know you are all excited to see the new titles, and especially to find out about the final one, but please, go easy on Sonic...

Source: Sonic Adventure 3 facebook

I think they make a 3D fighting game of sonic with a lot characters.

Just wanted to mention that Sega has comfirmed the third installment will NOT be released in 2013:

*(Sonic UPDATE - Third Title NOT Releasing In 2013)*

Confirmed by SEGA themselves, the third and final title in the exclusivity deal with the Sonic series will not be arriving in 2013. Whatever it is, we hope it's big and grand! Maybe SA3...?

Also, BOTH, the Lost World title, and the new Mario and Sonic, will be releasing on the 3DS system as well as the Wii U console.

...We know you are all excited to see the new titles, and especially to find out about the final one, but please, go easy on Sonic...

Source: Sonic Adventure 3 facebook

Yeah, i did hear about that on Sonic Stadium the day the news broke. Not too disappointed, as that lifts the contrainsts of the third game having to be a downloadable game or a spin-off. Still hoping for Chronicles 2 or Rush 3 for 3DS!!! :D

Though I'm hoping for Episode 3 at some time on some console...Anyone figure out the "red herring" clue back on hedgehog day in february??????

With the rumors of Sonic Adventure 3 coming out this year, my mind can't help but wonder...

I'm hoping for either another Storybook game (first one with Roger) or Chronicles 2. Chronicles 1 sucked imo, so with the new games being better it would be good if SEGA perfected their only bad DS game.

With the rumors of Sonic Adventure 3 coming out this year, my mind can't help but wonder...

I'm hoping for either another Storybook game (first one with Roger) or Chronicles 2. Chronicles 1 sucked imo, so with the new games being better it would be good if SEGA perfected their only bad DS game.

Don't get your hopes up too much, Sonic Adventure 3 is just a speculation by the fans. Everybody wants it, therefore spreading the rumors around.

It definitely won't come out this year, as the only games being released are Sonic Lost World and Mario and Sonic at the Soichi Olympic Winter Games 2014. Probably there will be a continuation of Sonic Jump and Dash, but that has not been comfirmed yet by Sega themselves.

I can see this new game being the end of the Sonic Storybook Series Trilogy.

However, instead of Pirates, it would either be Greco-Roman Mythology or the Grimm Brothers.

Sonic Adventure 3 is a problematic rumor because Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic '06) was adventure-esque (despite all its glitches), and Sonic Unleashed is quite possibly the true Sonic Adventure 3, because it's japanese name is Sonic World Adventure.

Sonic Unleashed 2, I can quite possibly see. However, we all know the Wii port sucks.

A Sonic Chronicles 2 would not cut it. We all know that game sucks even more than Shadow's own game (or in many cases, Sonic 2006).

The Riders Series have already ended with Free Riders. Sorry guys.

Sonic Rush was not meant to be a Trilogy, but I can see this. However, it would be stuck to perma-2D.

STH4E3 is not a bad prediction, actually. I have only played demos of the first two. I like them.

Sorry if I crushed fan dreams of a Sonic Pirates Storybook Series.

Edited by Ishurna

Now that's some quality post right here . Well , You forgot that sega is alwys ready to do the unexpected .

But I would be interested if:

-They either finnally patch Sonic '06

-Making a third sonic 4 episode

-Or do somethg of their storybool series . With time I learned to appreciate these two games thank to all the little gel they were hidding .

- Also sonic unleashed was good . They just botched up the night levels .

But seriously , they'll have to surprise us if they want to sell Their wii u.

឴

Edited by ឴

Okay, my thoughts on some of the game ideas

Sonic Unleashed (2): I liked Sonic Unleashed, but I found it hard to control the fighting moves on Wii, so if they do a second Unleashed, I hope they make it easier for Sonic to fight in his werehog form

Sonic 06: I haven't played it, but I saw cutscenes including some of the gameplay. It had potential but needs a lot of work. I would get rid of the hedgehog kissing princess, personally

STH4E3: I still have to buy STH4E2 because my iPod is too old for it, but when I buy it for my phone, I'll be able to decide whether it deserves an episode 3

Storybook series: Pirates would be cool. Greco-Roman mythology would be cool, a strange choice but still cool. Grimm Brothers depends on how dark they make the storyline. It has the potential to be a really dark game or a fluffy childish game. So they would need to be careful about how dark or fluffy they make it but I'd still give it a go. Out of the three, I would prefer a pirate one, I'd say it fits better in terms of the adventure type thing. But in terms of having a story, I don't know any books filled specifically with just pirate stories. Brothers Grimm I know would have stories to cover it, like the Arabian nights and the Arthurian legend

That's all I can really give on the games for now

Anyways , yes, sonic 06 had a lot of potential , and while many and shouting and laughing about it , Many , like me , were rather sad and upset . Like seeing a long time friend having an accident and not being able to do anything to help....

on second note : Grimm brother ? I'd love to see hansel and gretel in Sonic . Or little red hood . Sonic spindashing through Drago. Now that would be something .

As of sonic 4 I own them both for android and pc . And so far, I'm having fun .

I want a Sonic/Transformers crossover...............heheheheh