yumallah

Steven Universe

83 posts in this topic

I'm sure some of you have heard at least something about this amazing cartoon. If not, then -

Steven Universe is an American animated television series created by Rebecca Sugar for Cartoon Network. It premiered on May 21, 2013 with its pilot, then on November 4, 2013 with its first season. It is Cartoon Network's first animated show created solely by a woman. It is the coming-of-age story of a young boy, Steven Universe (voiced by Zach Callison), who lives with the Crystal Gems—magical, humanoid aliens named Garnet (Estelle), Amethyst(Michaela Dietz), and Pearl (Deedee Magno Hall)—in the fictional town of Beach City. Steven, who is half-Gem, has adventures with his friends and helps the Gems protect the world from their own kind. The themes of the series include love, family, and the importance of healthy interpersonal relationships. Books, comics and video games based on the series have been released, and a television film is in development.

image.png

Edited by Jumala

Heck yeah! I love this series (and really looking forward to the movie.) Haven't played any of the games though. ._.

Haven't played any of the games though. ._.

Well, then you're missing out on some pretty interesting characters and information. The most recent game, "The Phantom Fable", has a character named Lonely Pearl, who at first is hesitant to attack but then becomes a full-on antagonist, how cool is that?

Ohmygod, I want to play them!!! (I TRIED to download some of the so called "Free" games from SU, but my phone, or tablet doesn't seem to be able to?) Maybe I should just buy them on Ps4 or so, do you know if all of them are available on that console? 

Obviously I love any lore from SU, I even bought the Arts and Origins book that has a LOT of details about the making of the show, and how all of this kind of came together. I do appreciate the creators, and the voice actors who made this show possible, it's just so positive! (Heck I think I got my niece hooked on the Dubbed version)

1 person likes this

Obviously I love any lore from SU, I even bought the Arts and Origins book that has a LOT of details about the making of the show, and how all of this kind of came together. I do appreciate the creators, and the voice actors who made this show possible, it's just so positive! (Heck I think I got my niece hooked on the Dubbed version)

Oh, Arts and Origins. There was a little bit of controversy about this book, because it featured a scrapped character named Concrete who some people thought looked like a racist stereotypical image of a black person.maxresdefault.jpg

Ohmygod, I want to play them!!! (I TRIED to download some of the so called "Free" games from SU, but my phone, or tablet doesn't seem to be able to?) Maybe I should just buy them on Ps4 or so, do you know if all of them are available on that console?

As far as I'm concerned "Phantom Fable" is mobile-only and is a paid app, sadly.

I really think this is a great animated show. Haven't seen much of it, but everytime it was on TV, I had fun watching it. Like the overall art design, the characters, the setting... it's the kind of show I would have watched and loved as a kid. 

I might be taking it too far, but I wouldn't be surprised if Steven Universe became a classic. It will shape many viewers' childhoods (and adulthoods too!), and could be remembered for how groundbreaking is tacking some unusual themes.

The one issue I myself have with the show is the timing. God damn the hiatuses!

Oh, Arts and Origins. There was a little bit of controversy about this book, because it featured a scrapped character named Concrete who some people thought looked like a racist stereotypical image of a black person.maxresdefault.jpg

Okay first of all, there's a reason why that character didn't end up in the show, it was just a random idea, Sugar herself said that when she's brainstorming she just takes the most random ideas and tries to see if they work, like there were many very jokey characters in the book (by design and just over all), and obviously she was one of them. Just because she had an idea for a gem or whatever, doesn't really make her a racist. Besides she scrapped the idea probably as soon as she had it. It really makes me lose any trust in humanity when all they see is a race issue. 

Okay first of all, there's a reason why that character didn't end up in the show, it was just a random idea, Sugar herself said that when she's brainstorming she just takes the most random ideas and tries to see if they work, like there were many very jokey characters in the book (by design and just over all), and obviously she was one of them. Just because she had an idea for a gem or whatever, doesn't really make her a racist. Besides she scrapped the idea probably as soon as she had it. It really makes me lose any trust in humanity when all they see is a race issue. 

That's why I didn't give my own opinion about it at all. I also think it's very stupid that people just try to tie everything with race and politics these days, even if there's no connection at all. And the character itself was drawn by a black person, so what gives?

1 person likes this

That's why I didn't give my own opinion about it at all. I also think it's very stupid that people just try to tie everything with race and politics these days, even if there's no connection at all. And the character itself was drawn by a black person, so what gives?

Yeah exactly! Besides if they think about the show, isn't it very obvious this wasn't exactly intended as an attack against black people? I mean I love the show and so far from what I'VE understood it's all about family, friends, acceptance, being true to yourself, and just being who you want to be. 

Yeah exactly! Besides if they think about the show, isn't it very obvious this wasn't exactly intended as an attack against black people? I mean I love the show and so far from what I'VE understood it's all about family, friends, acceptance, being true to yourself, and just being who you want to be. 

Heh, that's not even the most stupid race related controversy people had come up with: they also argued that Sugilite being aggressive and kinda dumb was an attack against black people, because of the fact that Sugilite consists of Garnet and Amethyst, who are black inspired characters, while Sardonyx on the other hand is graceful and smart, consisting of Amethyst and Pearl, a white inspired character.

I honestly think they've taken this "race issue" out of proportion. They are FRIGGIN' GEM-BASED ALIENS! ALIENS!! 

And even if they were human characters with a specific race, so what? They would be fictional characters, not a realistic depiction of society. 

1 person likes this

I honestly think they've taken this "race issue" out of proportion. They are FRIGGIN' GEM-BASED ALIENS! ALIENS!! 

And even if they were human characters with a specific race, so what? They would be fictional characters, not a realistic depiction of society. 

Exactly!

Oh Jebus, Seriously?? Those two are supposed to be the representations of two VERY different relationships, and how the gems either go well together or don't. Sugilite is over confident, and prideful, but with a quick temper because of Ruby and Amethyst I think. While Sardonyx is just VERY dramatic and a show-off because of Pearl and Amethyst. Wonder how no one complained about Malachite yeeet~

Oh Jebus, Seriously?? Those two are supposed to be the representations of two VERY different relationships, and how the gems either go well together or don't. Sugilite is over confident, and prideful, but with a quick temper because of Ruby and Amethyst I think. While Sardonyx is just VERY dramatic and a show-off because of Pearl and Amethyst. Wonder how no one complained about Malachite yeeet~

Well, maybe that's because Lapis is a white-inspired character?

Well i honestly couldn't give a damn about what skin color they were inspired by, they're an alien race, and people need to stop comparing them to humans. They have no gender, they're called a "she" cause "It" would be rude, they can shapeshift, and their skin colors aren't exactly "the usual" except in some cases, but that's just because the gemstone is colored that way. I mean you've probably heard that people used to compare fusion to sex right? Even though it's no where near that.

1 person likes this

Well i honestly couldn't give a damn about what skin color they were inspired by, they're an alien race, and people need to stop comparing them to humans. They have no gender, they're called a "she" cause "It" would be rude, they can shapeshift, and their skin colors aren't exactly "the usual" except in some cases, but that's just because the gemstone is colored that way. I mean you've probably heard that people used to compare fusion to sex right? Even though it's no where near that.

Heh, people can be really weird sometimes. I once heard a person compare fusion not to just sex, but RAPE. I mean, their only source of information about SU is from reviews like "Steven Universe is a garbage show for a garbage fanbase", but still, what makes one think THAT?

Yeah exactly! I mean c'mon people, Rebecca has confirmed that: 1. They're not "lesbian space rocks" they're nonbinary  2. Fusion is literally the representation of different kind of relationships be it siblings, or friendship, or love, hate, whatever. 3. The show is about Steven cause it's basically a growing up story with Sci-Fi elements, and it's literally named STEVEN Universe. 

Yeah exactly! I mean c'mon people, Rebecca has confirmed that: 1. They're not "lesbian space rocks" they're nonbinary  2. Fusion is literally the representation of different kind of relationships be it siblings, or friendship, or love, hate, whatever. 3. The show is about Steven cause it's basically a growing up story with Sci-Fi elements, and it's literally named STEVEN Universe. 

Well, that's what you get from watching a review but not watching the actual show.

On a sidenote: what do you think about the upcoming movie's main antagonist? You know, that heart-shaped gem?

On a sidenote: what do you think about the upcoming movie's main antagonist? You know, that heart-shaped gem?

Well while I don't know who they are, they look interesting at least? I don't really know what to think, points on being red though (I love red color). Wonder what "The Heart of the Crystal Gems" means in this case. Like, are they a corrupted Gem, who used to be part of the Crystal Gems? Are they going to join them at the end to stop some sort of evil? Or are they someone like Jasper (Y'know as in, Hating Rose Quartz for "what they did to Pink Diamond") 

Well while I don't know who they are, they look interesting at least? I don't really know what to think, points on being red though (I love red color). Wonder what "The Heart of the Crystal Gems" means in this case. Like, are they a corrupted Gem, who used to be part of the Crystal Gems? Are they going to join them at the end to stop some sort of evil? Or are they someone like Jasper (Y'know as in, Hating Rose Quartz for "what they did to Pink Diamond") 

There's a theory that it's Red Diamond, who was created either as the original Pink Diamond, or as a replacement for Pink Diamond after she got shattered. She was abandoned by the other diamonds, and now she's off to revenge!

Edited by Jumala

There's a theory that it's Red Diamond, who was created either as the original Pink Diamond, or as a replacement for Pink Diamond after she got shattered. She was abandoned by the other diamonds, and now she's off to revenge!

Oh cool o_o I mean if we're going with Diamond theories, MAYBE she could be sort of... like an off color Diamond? or like perhaps something like Amethyst is, y'know "didn't come out right?" and became rogue as the result of it?

Oh cool o_o I mean if we're going with Diamond theories, MAYBE she could be sort of... like an off color Diamond? or like perhaps something like Amethyst is, y'know "didn't come out right?" and became rogue as the result of it?

I'm actually thinking the opposite. She was supposed to be the original 4th diamond, but then somehow got "lost" or something, then the other Diamonds made Pink to replace her, and Pink is actually the one who's off-color (you know, pink is like off-color red). And now she's back, to take revenge on the one who replaced her, meaning Steven!