Katmuffin

Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW comic)

75 posts in this topic

So, with a slew of reveals and information, I thought it would be appropriate to make a thread. So as a recap here's all the recent information:

In April there will be four comics released to kick off the new series. The issues will be released one week apart. The fourth issue will include an new character released today, Tangle, the ring tailed lemur (Who I was totally convinced was going to be Sally.)

1 person likes this

I wonder if Sally and the others even will be in the comic. Or if it'll just be a fresh start

I doubt they will be in for a while.  Too much baggage comes with them.  Maybe further down the line, they might appear.  Keep your eyes peeled for hints and cameos though!

Sonic-Bcover-02.jpg?lossless=1&q=40&w=72

So this one of Amy's covers, and that guy behind Sonic kinda looks like a echidna, which makes me wonder if Ian has plans for someone besides Knuckles.

So far I'm loving the artwork that has been shown, specially because most of the artists come from the Archie run: Tracy Yardley, Evan Stanley, Tyson Hesse, Adam Bryce Thomas... and so on.

As for the story... sounds pretty simple. The synopsis feels bland. I hope that's because they don't want to spoil anything, but at this point I'm afraid Sega has taken over the creative team and said something like "Sonic is always happy, he cannot emote anything else... oh, and everyone loves Sonic, and no one can do anything without him", while Ian Flynn makes a facepalm, knowing he'll be facing his greatest enemy yet: WRITING A PROMOTIONAL COMIC WITH NOTHING TO TELL.

Hope I'm wrong.
Mr. Flynn (as well as the artists involved), we believe in you.

One of the things I liked about the Fleetway comics is that Sonic was far from perfect. Yes, he usually saved the day when no one else was able to (not to say his companions couldn't save the day either as they did that plenty of times) but he was still not perfect. He had flaws. In Archie he had flaws too at times. He literally got beaten by Eggman and had to let his friends save the day for him. That was a great story. And it wasn't the only time

Point is, if they're planning on making Sonic mr perfect then the comic won't get far. I don't think they'll do that as it would be boring and people want to see imperfection with characters so they can develop. So I guess we'll see

1 person likes this

I don't want to see a Mr. Perfect Sonic... but Sega seems to like it, as what we've seen in recent games.

I'd like to read the same Sonic we had in Archie. I think Ian nailed him (and many other characters). Also...

tangle-character-design-1516755498373_12

...no one is going to talk about Tangle here? Or maybe about...

IDW_Sonic_1_Img_CvrB-683x1024.jpg

sonic-the-hedgehog-4-debuting-tangle-151

...this beautiful covers?

Tangle's design looks good to me. Need to wait and see if she'll be good in the comics

I like the second cover. I'm not that fond of the style in the first one. but that's just me. Also... Blaze seems to be introduced rather quick

Well all the main Sega cast has to be in the comic eventually, and if it's mirroring events from the games, some of the more relevant plots points my be dumped on us quickly.

It's being set after Forces, so while it won't be so much mirroring the games as 'the games have already happened in the past'.

Pre-orders are available on Comixology if you live like me in a country where it probably won't be released. And with that, Archie Sonic is gone now, it's too late to get them legally. Although if you bought them, you still have them in your library to read, but I'm not sure if you can still download them without the store page, glad I already did. Still should work on the app.

Edited by Chapmic

So a question for the mods, will you put the IDW comics on this site? Do you plan to bring back the Archie comics?

I am very happy to see IDW creating a "new series" of Sonic the hedgehog comic. I love IDWs work so far on other ongoing comics such as Transformers or TMNT.

WELP I'M HYPING HERE. I can not WAIT for this to come out! Who is making these btw? The usual team or....? Someone new? and I really like our new girl so far! I do hope she has a sassy attitude. (or at least that's the kind of vibe I'm getting from her.) But I think the fans will tear her apart in the matter of hours. (THOSE KIND of fans.)

ME TOO! I’m excited to see how this might turn out! I know Ian Flynn and Spaz! are both back (yay) and I believe a few other producers from Archie are also back.

1 person likes this

All aboard the hype train! Here's the full team: 

WriterIan Flynn

EditorJoe Hughes, David Mariotte

PencilersAdam Bryce Thomas, Evan Stanley, Jamal PeppersJennifer Hernandez, Jonathan Gray, Kieran Gates, Nathalie Fourdraine, Tracy Yardley, Tyson Hesse

3D artistsRafa Knight

ColoristsMatt Herms

Edited by Katmuffin
1 person likes this

All aboard the hype train! Here's the full team: 

WriterIan Flynn

EditorJoe Hughes, David Mariotte

PencilersAdam Bryce Thomas, Evan Stanley, Jamal PeppersJennifer Hernandez, Jonathan Gray, Kieran Gates, Nathalie Fourdraine, Tracy Yardley, Tyson Hesse

3D artistsRafa Knight

ColoristsMatt Herms

My Sunshine Tracy is in?! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS! Okay NOW I am absolutely happy.

I've read my copy of Issue 1 now.  It was fun.  Nothing spectacular, but certainly not bad.

Though as others have said, just being 'fun' might not be a strong enough start.  But this is only part one of four this month, so I won't write it off just yet until all four are on the table.

Saw it, loved it, need more. and where is our girl TANGLE?

Finally got to read #1 and I must say, HYPE! Slow start but it IS a four part pilot.

Can’t wait for the other three parts!

Read Issue 2. and my thoughts, well;

Taking it in isolation, this was a step-up from Issue 1.  Still fun, probibly a bit too much action, but it had some good character moments for Amy.  Having said that, if you weren't a Sonic fan and didn't know who Amy was, you might wonder why so much of a deal was being made about her being a leader.

But, looking at this as Issue 2 in the four-part introduction, it looks weaker.  It follows the same structure as Issue 1.  Sonic shows up to save a town.  Sonic's friend shows up just in time to save them, and pass on some exposition.  The two banter and break some bots, and the Sonic goes his own way.  And once more we see a talking chair.  There's not even a hint or clue dropped as to who this might be to keep us speculating, aside from they must be smaller than Eggman.  The comic structure is stuck in a rut, and it's only the second issue.

As a standalone, I enjoyed it.  As Issue 2 to try and start the series, I'm worried. I feel you could have combined this and Issue 1, and the story would have been the better for it.

I really enjoyed the second issue, Amy's dynamic with Sonic was very well done, for once I didn't find her obsessivness annoying. But, it followed the same formula of the frist issue, which is concenring. Hopefully the introduction of Rough an Tumble will break the pattern.

I loved the art style VERY much! and I also like how Sonic and Amy worked as a team, though I do think it needed something more. I'm not sure what I was hoping, but for 4 part starter comics the second part did pretty well. Maybe a bit too similar to the first one, but then again this is just the starting point, can't exactly wish for perfection.. YET.

Rough and Tumble are my new favorites, they're everything team rocket wants to be.