Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frostryu

Favorite obscure shows

7 posts in this topic

Ah, probably not many of these around thanks to things like netflix, but i got thinking after some of the profile talks i've been seeing. Does anyone else have a favorite show that either did;t do to well, was tragically underlined, or simply doesn't have a rabid fanbase to defend it?

I will openly admit to being a big fan of the 90's Mainframe shows. For those who don't now, Mainframe was the first company to try and make completely CGI cartoons in the 90's. They are also kinda infamous for making all those Barbie movie's in the 90's as well, which may explain why so many of their other works leveled into top[ics like the end of the world, genocide, and depression. Don't believe me? My favorite among all their works is the series Shadow Raiders (followed very closely by Reboot) Which is an entire series about the End of all Things, featuring an antagonistic force that cannot truly be defeat, led by a force of destruction that cannot be destroyed. it got 2 13 episode seasons, and was denied a third that would have let them delve into the antagonists back story, but they ended the series on a note that could be an ending or a continue, so there;s that.

Any other thoughts?

Hmm.... Do shows that are really well known in the UK but almost unknown outside count as 'obscure'?  Cause then I can do my usual fanboying over Thunderbirds and the rest of the Gerry Anderson series.

Plus, I was also a Dr Who fan back when it was still off air and no one could have predicted the insane reach it would gain.

1 person likes this

Fanboy away. Though I'm not sure about doctor who. NO offense, before the house caught fire, my mother had Episode one on VHS, taped off from the original American airing, so my own opinion on that may be skewed. I kinda grew up with both my parents being fans of the original Doctors.

Darkwing Duck works then?

or Duck Dodgers?

The Looney Tunes Show

The Moomin? (Great show, so much nightmare fuel though. Just watch the Japanese version, traumas~)

I have to say for me one show will always too the chart. When I used to watch it as a child the guide called it "Shinzo" but I later learned it also goes by Musrambo.

There's quite a few for me. Let's see...

Freakazoid- Basically Warner Brothers PG Deadpool before Deadpool became super popular. One of my favorite funny superhero cartoons.

Earthworm Jim-I had to mention one videogame show. The show had a bizarre humor which is why I liked it. Jim would either be returning his neighbor's egg beater or saving Christmas from Queen Slug for a butt, you know normal stuff.

Disney's Adventure of the Gummi Bears-Don't let the total throw you off,this is more than fruit snacks getting their heads and arms chewed. Being the first show to kick off the Disney Afternoon with other great shows to follow it like Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck. The theme song is also a good help.

Bonkers- And another Disney Afternoon show,basically Disney's Roger Rabbit. You got an energetic washed up toon Bobcat solving crimes with a stick in the mud cop who dislikes toons,sound familiar. Put in a few appearances from Donald Duck, The Mad Hatter and March Hare.

Talespin- You got Baloo from the jungle book as a bumbling pilot, Sher Khan as a scary business man, and Louie as a club owner. Strange but works. Not to mention you got one of the silliest and funniest pirates ever to be created Don Karnage! 

2 people like this

How about Hey Arnold!

I haven't heard a lot from the show, but apparently it is getting a movie?

There was also this horror show for kids I used to watch.. but I can't remember it's name. It actually gave some children traumas. (or so I've heard) I just always thought it was sort of creepy, but usually the episodes had an important message in them. Usually about manners or so. It was black and white, mostly used puppets or stop-motion animation.