Skye Prower

Sonic tactical tabletop game, played online. Anyone interested?

35 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I get crazy ideas from time to time.  As others (or the same) will know, I really like strategy tactic games, and Sonic games, and would love to see them combined (though I know the FE/Sonic game I long for will never exist.  If only I knew how to code….)

Well, I’ve had an idea as to how that might work!  Interested?  Read on!

Some of you have probably heard of Games Workshop, the company behind the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 settings/tabletop games.  As well as their army based games, they used to have smaller skirmish games, Mordhiem for fantasy, and Necromunda for gang based fights in their sci-fi setting.  Both these games have been discontinued, probably because with teams of usually around 10 individuals or so, GW likely felt they weren’t getting enough money from the figures bought for this game.

Anyway, I was recently checking over some old memory sticks, and too my surprise I found a PDF copy of the Necromunda rulebook and a few extras, something I thought I’d lost ages ago when my laptop bricked itself.  Looking over these rules, two thoughts occurred.

1) With the map software available these days for games like Dungeons and Dragons, some of it free, you could probably play this game over the internet without requiring an actual tabletop or miniatures.  Heck, you could probably just use Google Drive’s picture editor with a map and little unit portraits and make it work.

2) Wouldn’t it be funny if this was a Sonic setting.  Ha ha…wait… they did have that ruined technologically scarred landscape in the Bad Future of Sonic CD… huh… maybe some timeline where Eggman won but died before he could get his Empire up and running properly, so it’s all gone to hell….

So, yes, there is my idea, using the Nercomunda rules to run a skirmish campaign of small gangs fighting over a ruined Mobius.  I’ve already got setting information written down, and ideas for gang themes and so on.

Anyone interested?

If you’re wondering what will be required, the internet is a start, though, if you’re reading this without the internet that’s impressive.  For the ‘tabletop’ either we’d be using Google Drive tools, so you’ll need that, or the free map software that is available from the Wizards of the Coast (DnD company.)  I haven’t tried it out yet, but if people are interested, I will. 

And finally you’ll need some IM chat, like Skype or Google hangouts.  While voice chat would be better, I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement, so if you want to stick with text, that’s cool

Oh, and one last point, if you’re wondering why the topic is here, well….. it’s not really an RP Game, or a computer game, so those sections are out.  Plus, some people don’t look at those areas, and I didn’t want people to miss the post.

If this keeps going, I'm in. Absolutely love the idea, and I think I haven't seen something like this before in the Sonic series.

And, as you've said, it makes so much sense: there are alternate post-apocaliptic futures in the Sonic universe, from the comics to the games, there are different races and cultures that might clash in some point of time, like the echidnas (as the Dark Legion, the Nocturnus or the Pachacamac Clan), the Eggman Empire (if it finally formed) some kind of future Freedom Fighters from different parts of the world...

What I'm trying to say is that there are Endless Possibilities and FUN IS INFINITE... (puns totally intended)

Edited by ChaosKaiser

Wow!  So many puns!

I do really hope this gets off the ground, it will be a lot of fun if we get the players.

I've been a little more busy than I would like recently and will be busy for a little longer but I am interested in this

I am interested in this too, but I would like to know more about a couple things:

How are we going to compensate for VERY different time zones?

What is the exact gameplay going to look like?

That's two and a half people interested!  That's better than normal!

Okay, the idea is this will be set in a single timezone, which is one of the possible 'bad futures' of Mobius.  If you want, I can post the setting info I've come up with so far.

As for the exact game play, are you familiar with the Necromunda rules, or any of the GW tabletop games?  If not... think a tabletop version of.... X-com, Fire Emblem, any turn based combat game.   Basically, we'd be using map-software to duplicate a table-top strategy game.

I ment real world time zones, sorry. Like, I noticed that you guys often post at my midnight.

Ahhh, I had some ideas about that.

Now, ideally we'd find some time for the players in a match (which would normally be two players, plus maybe a referee) to have a call over Skype, hangouts etc.  However, if that doesn't work, well, it IS a turn based game, so it would be possible to post what your moves are in an IM program.  Sure, it might result in games taking a bit of time to resolve, but, well, postal chess is a thing, so there is no reason this couldn't work!

Well that could work, but the patience for that died with the postal service it self.

Also, a disclaimer, I just looked at my schedule and realized that while I am not necessarily busy there is no time were I have access to my computer with the microphone to have a decent play session. The time my schedule opens up isn't untill late March, so untill then I would only be able to participate via IM of some sort.

Edited by Katmuffin

Fair point, but given we would actually be using the post it should be okay! ;) 

And no worries Kat.  Hope things go smoothly for you.

So... By the looks of things we could have four players in the near future.  (How long will you be busy for Dylan?  Will it be late March like Kat? ;) )

I would say four players would be enough to make this game viable, and we could always say run two teams each, assuming no one else signs up.

Looks like this project might be good to go.  Do people want me to post background/setting info?  If so, I'll probibly make a new topic for the game proper.

A couple weeks probably. Should hopefully be okay by late March

I would be avaible almost any day, unless something turns my life upside down!

Also, do you already made the rules, Skye? Will we help with the background story, or the game system? 

Doing a background story sounds fun, I've got ideas, if you've haven't done that yourself already.

Fingers crossed that won't happen ChaosKaiser.  And it looks like we have a soft start-date of late march-ish.

As for rules.... well...  I can easily give people a copy of the Necromunda rules on PDF.  Ah, the good old days when GW offered some things for free.  After that, well, the rule 'additions' come in a few stages.

First, is just renaming things.  Basically, using the rules as the come in the book, just changing stuff to sound more Sonic-y

Second, is adding a minor rule to each of the gang types, to give them a bit more flavour.  It shouldn't unbalance things too much.

Third, Is adding rules for the different species available.  I've tried to keep this simple, pretty much a free boost from the normal experience system, though it does have a slight potential to unbalance the game.  On the one hand, they can give you a very skilled starting group.  On the other, everyone gets the same advantage.

And fourth is adding Chaos Powers.  I'm still working on these rules, because they could easily unbalance things quickly if mishandled.

As for the setting, so far I've come up with an outline for this Dark Future world, one that fits within the framework of the Necromunda game as well.  I'll put it below.  I've kept stuff quite vague, so if anyone wants to fill in more details or make any additions, they easily can. Or, if people don;t like what I;ve got so far, we can scrap it and start again.  Your call.

---------------------

Overview

In this timeline, Eggman was successful in his takeover of Mobius.  With his victory massive city complexes were rapidly constructed across the world, though often at the expense of the landscape.  But everything came to a crashing halt when Eggman suddenly and unexpectedly died.  At first most assumed he would return, having downloaded his mind into the computer mainframe or something similar, but it quickly became apparent that wasn’t the case.  The Grand Masters began fighter amongst themselves, and others rose up to try and take power for themselves, or throw off those who had it.  Chaos reigned, no, not the watery kind, the other kind, and the Empire swiftly crumbled. 

A century later the world is a wasteland of polluted landscapes and ruined massive cities, with mutated horrors and rogue badniks wandering the wastelands.  Civilisation does exist, of a sort, in the so called Empire Enclaves, solidly walled settlements scattered across the world.  Life in these Enclaves is harsh, and often oppressive, but for many, it’s preferable to living out in the wastes.

Gangs

Feral Packs

For some life in the Enclaves is unbearable, so they head out into the wastes to try and make a living there.  Groups of these people band together to form small settlements, and claiming the territory around it.  Of course, out in the harsh wilderness, these settlements need defenders from threats, whether wild creatures or other gangs trying to take over their territory. 

Feral Packs count as House Goliath gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.

Feral Packs have access to a mix of ranged and Close Combat weapons, but their skill selections makes them most suited to crushing their foes in close combat.

Freedom Fighters

Even in these dark times some still cling to hope for a better world and strong ideals.  But to do so, usually means taking down the Enclaves.  Or perhaps just it’s corrupt leadership.  But either way, their beliefs force them outside the Enclaves.  Some groups of Freedom Fighters truly want to make the world a better place, others might be more cynical and simply trying to make the most of what they have, while others just want to set themselves up as dictators of their own small powerbase.  And the whole ‘Freedom Fighters don’t use guns’ rule; that was long ago dropped in the face of wasteland horror.

Freedom Fighters count as House Orlock gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.

Freedom Fighters are very much a Jack-of-all trades gang in both skills and weapon selection, allowing for varied and flexible tactics.  However, being a jack doesn’t necessarily prevent them from being Masters as is so often the case.

Guardians

Followers of the Guardian ideals of old, the Guardians scour the wastes looking for relics and sanctuaries from before the Fall of the Eggman Empire.  And when they find some, they will protect it with all their strength.  Believing only they have the right to such relics, as well as their often brash and aggressive attitudes, will often put them in conflict with others in the wastes.  Especially if they try to claim ground already claimed by Feral Packs.

Guardians count as House Cawdor gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.

Guardians are another strong close combat gang, but can also be strong in short range firepower, given their easy access to flamer weapons.

Dragon Warriors

In the former Dragon Kingdom the Four Houses survived, but were forced to band together to survive.  The Enclaves in their lands are perhaps some of the safest and secure to live, if heavily regimented.  In fact, overpopulation is a potential problem, so groups of the younger generations, normally the second or third children of families, are sent out into the wilderness, either with a set goal, or to seek out land, artefacts, or just trade for the Enclave.  Those that return successful are treated as heroes, and having learned to live frugally, are less of a burden to the Enclave than they might have been.

Dragon Warriors count as House Escher gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.

Dragon Warriors are capable of quickly and sneakily closing with their foes with both the Agility and Stealth skill lists, before engaging them in close combat, their other strength.  They are the only ones with easy access to swords, giving them a further advantage in combat.

Legionaries

Following the Fall of the Empire, many of the Legion attempted to regain their former glory outside the control of Eggman.  Weakened in the wake of the collapse, rather than attempting to vie for control with the other Warlords, the Legion retreated to build up their forces and powerbase.  Patience is a virtue, and the Legion takes it to extreme.  Small groups are often sent out, looking for anything that could be of use for the Legion, from recruits, to lost technology, to a foothold to strike from when the time comes.

Legionaries count as House Van Saar gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.  Note: While most, if not all, Legionaries have cybernetic implants, these are cosmetic and have no in-game effect, unless they are acquired in the usual way from the Trading Posts or other means.

Legionaries focus on long range firepower, though the combat skill tree can give then a good edge close up.  Their access to Techno skills helps take the edge off some of the bad luck that can plague a gang, making them potentially easier and more reliable to play.

Mercenaries

Many follow the Mercenary life as a way to make money.  Some work alone, others work in groups.  There’s always some job that needs doing ,so such groups are rarely short of work.  Exactly what motivates each group, or even each induvial merc, differs.  Maybe it’s all about the money, and they’ll do any act, even criminal ones, for coin.  For others it might be the thrill of the hunt or combat, or maybe some code of honour they adhere too.

Mercenaries count as House Delaque gangs, and use their Weapon List and Advancement Tables.

Mercenaries are the shooty version of the Dragon Warriors, having stealth and agility skills to move around the map, and the shooting skills and weapon choices to lay down firepower. 

Special Gangs

These gangs are more complex than the basic six gangs, so should be taken by more experienced players.

Reactivated

There are plenty of wild badniks in the wastes and ruins.  Most are not major threats, easily dealt with by gangs or Enclave security.  Most are even taken and reprogramed by Enclaves for protections.  But there are worse out there, badniks still programed to only follow Eggman’s commands; E-series, weaponised Robians, and the feared Metal Series.  And sometimes, these robots wake up.

Reactivated badniks count as and follow the rules for Spyrer gangs.  Only: each Spyrer is instead a different type of badnik, and Vows are considered to be Pre-Programed Orders.  And despite being robots, they can still be affected by moral conditions, gas or toxic attacks, and everything normal organic models are vulnerable to, due to somewhat faulty personality programing.

Enclave Protectors

Each Enclave needs its security force to maintain order within, and occasionally, without.  These teams are better equipped and trained than the gangs outside the Enclave walls, but have other duties that often tie them down.   Much like the Enclaves, the Protectors can range from hard but fair, to outright corrupt bullies, and everything in-between.

Enclave Protectors count as and follow all the rules for Enforcer Patrols.  Except their Cyber-mastiff is a repurposed badnik.

Cult of Eggman

Despite his demise a century ago, there are those who believe Eggman will still return, some to fanatical levels.  These fanatics often band together, trying to gain influence to rebuild the Empire in Eggman’s name, even though it is an utterly hopeless task.  Keen to avoid the trouble then could bring, Enclaves often just pay such cults to stay away and work in the wastes, rooting out those that would seek to prevent Eggman’s return, and believing with their devotion they can find a way to bring him back and everyone under his sway, even if it means implanting every single person with an explosive charge.

Cults of Eggman count as and follow all the rules for Redemption Gangs, including both either Mobs or Crusades.  The differences are the donations the gangs receive are more bribes from Enclaves to stay away and not cause trouble, and the Priests Redeemer rule is less about making a convincing speech, and more the victim being implanted with a small explosive charge, which will be detonated if he does not agree to join the Cult.

Could you give me the pdf? I can't find it online.

Sure thing.  GW pulled it from their website years ago, probibly because the idea of giving something away for free became HERESY to them!

Okay, I think everyone who's shown interest has a full set of the rules now.  So I think I'll post the 'house rules' I've come up with so far, for people to take a look at and see how they fit and if they like them.  

But just before we come to that, Kat did bring up a possible organization I missed.  GUN.  And she pointed out you could easily have a bunch of Generals in charge who are more interesting in their power bases than working together, hence creating a gang structure.  So I guess there are two ways to incorporate them.

1) GUN counts as one of the basic six gangs, which basically means one of the original gangs is pulling double duty.

2) I wasn't really that happy with making Enforcer Squads just be Enclave Security, so insted, GUN squads could follow Enforcer Squad rules, with the idea that rather than seizing territory, they are enforcing GUN's will from an outpost or somesuch.

What do people think, and other than that, how do people like the setting?  Tweaks, changes, suggestions, all are welcome!

And now, on to the House Rules:

Optional Special Rules

A short series of special rules to make the six basic gangs feel a bit more unique.  These haven’t been play tested, so might be unbalanced.  Only the basic gangs get these rules, as the other three are unique enough already.

Feral Packs

Hometown:
Feral Packs start with an extra territory, which is always a Settlement, representing their home.  They can never lose this territory unless it is the only one left, and if it is lost then the Feral Park loses the campaign.  In addition, roll two dice to see if a free Juve can be recruited.  Note that only one free Juve can be recruited even if both roll a six.

Freedom Fighters

Against the odds:
Freedom fighters are used to unfair odds and succeeding.  If they have a lower Gang Rating than their opponent, they gain double the Experience from the Underdog bonus, and should they win, double the Credit reward from the Giant Slayer Bonus.

Guardians

Treasure Hunters:
Used to hunting for hidden Treasures, Guardians have a knack for finding things others miss.  In any game EXCEPT where the Guardians are defending, their opponent MUST place d3 Relic Counters on the table.  Each must be 8 inches away from table edges and each other, but placed before any models are.  Relic Counters follow the same rules as Loot Counters in the Scavenger scenario, except that the other team (unless they are also Guardians) cannot pick them up as it seems like useless trash to them.  At the end of the game, each Loot Counter in the possession of a Guardian model, or on the ground if they are victorious, grants the Gang 1d6x5 credits, representing usual salvage, OR adds +1 to rolls to see how many Rare Items are offered, where they have found an old relic, but the cost is for repairing it to working condition.

Dragon Warriors

Training Regime:
Even out in the Wastes, Dragon Warriors have the discipline to focus their training, focusing on their strengths rather than relying on blind luck.  Whenever a Dragon Warrior gains a characteristic increase (5 to 9 on the advancement table) they may choose which of the two to take, rather than roll.  Also, ONE gang member per post-game who gains a skill advancement may re-roll the dice on the skill table, but must accept the result of the second roll.

Legionaries

Cyborg Forces:
Legionaries often have cybernetic implants and replacements, many of which enhance their abilities.  They can purchase any Bionics as if they were Common items, but not on their equipment list.  I.e. they can use one of their rare item offers to select a Bionic Arm, Leg or Eye, but before the rare item is rolled for.  They also do not pay the addiction variable cost on Bionics, and should they roll the Bionic result on the Rare Item chart, they may choose to re-roll.

Mercenaries

Bounty Hunters:
There’s always someone willing to pay.  In any game the Mercenaries take part in, for any member of another gang who is killed, regardless of how, even if not caused by the Mercenaries gang, they receive 1d6x5 credits for a bounty. If there are multiple Mercenary gangs taking part, each rolls a dice, the highest receives the bounty for the first kill, the next highest the second and so on.  Also, if they wish, the may re-roll the dice when calculating the reward for bounties, either from kills, from handing over captured gang members, or from the bounty hunter’s special rules.  The second roll must be used, even if it is worse than the first.  After all, some people don’t like forceful haggling.

Further Mobius Rules

Races

Each Gang Member can choose one of the following traits to represent their species.

Bot
Examples: Badniks

Bots are immune to gases and similar hazards and attacks, and cannot use Bio-boosters or Blindsnake Pouches.  They do not show up on Bio-scanners.  Needle weapons affect them normally, as it is assumed the weapon will be loaded with an acid round, EM charge or similar.

They also have a 5+ armour save.

Note: If these rules are being used, all member of Reactivated gangs are bots.

Camouflage
Examples: Chameleons

The Camouflage trait allows a unit to start with a skill from the Stealth tree.  Roll two dice and pick one result.

Cunning
Examples: Foxes, Coyotes, Spiders

Once per game, a Cunning unit can re-roll, or force the opponent to re-roll, one dice roll that affects them.  I.e. To hit rolls, wounds, armour saves etc.

Flyer
Examples: Bats, Bees, Flying Squirrels

Flyers are able to fly.  See the flying rules below.

Quick Reflexes
Examples: Hedgehogs, Small Cats

Units with the Quick Reflexes trait start with +1 I.  In addition, they avoid any attack from a template weapon on a 4+, as if they were only partially covered by the template.

Sharpshooter
Examples: Weasels, Humans

Units with the Sharpshooter trait have +1 BS, and their maximum BS is also risen by 1.

Strong
Examples: Echidnas, Crocodiles

Units with the Strong trait have +1 S, and their maximum S is also risen by 1.

Strong Willed
Examples: Squirrels, Rabbits

Units with the Strong Willed trait have +1 Ld, and their maximum Ld is also risen by 1.  Also, any unit within 2” can use this units Ld in place of it’s own, as long as this unit is not pinned, Down, or similar.

Tough
Examples: Walruses, Big Cats, Armadillo

Units with the Sharpshooter trait have +1 T, and their maximum T is also risen by 1.

Warrior
Examples: Wolves, Dragon Kingdom Lynxes

Units with the Warrior trait have +1 WS, and their maximum WS is also risen by 1.

-------------

Flying

A unit with Flying may choose to fly during its movement, allowing it to bypass terrain and obstacles.  A flying unit is assumed to always be at least 1” off the ground, any less and it lands.  It takes 1” of movement to rise or drop 1” while in flight.  However, landing from 1” up is ‘free’. 

While in flight, you can be shot at by any units that can see you, even if you are not the closest target, as you are the most obvious one!  Unless the closest targets are within 4”, and cannot be ignored normally, in which case there are a much more immediate threat.

Flying units automatically pass jumping tests, unless the jump would be impossible via a roll.

A unit can spend up to two turns flying.  If it hasn’t landed at the end of the second turn airborne, it falls, with no chance to ‘Catch itself’ (see below).  A flying unit can also carry another unit, but in this case can only spend one turn airborne.  If a flying unit is Over-encumbered, i.e. carrying a heavy weapon, it also can only fly for one turn, and cannot carry another unit.

A Flying unit can ‘Catch Itself’ if it falls.  Roll a d6, if it is equal to or lower than the Units Initiative, it takes flight before it hits the ground, and can either land safely or stay airborne.  If it fails, it hits the ground as usual.

Just out of curiosity. What would a Skunk be?

Given we only see one in continuity, it's hard to say.  I would say either Cunning or Strong Willed might apply.  Yes, I know the existing skunk is accurate with a crossbow, but I think that is more personal choice, not a species one.

Interesting, sounds like fun, Skye! I'd like to preorder the collectors edition of this game!

Actually there are two skunks and both are cunning and loyal.

Heh, I doubt that'll ever happen Thire! ;) 

We hardly see anything of one of them Geffy, so it's hard to judge.

There HAS TO BE a Collector's Edition! And I, as Thire, will purchase one!

That would get two sets of rabid lawyers chasing me!  One lot from Games Workshop for stealing their rules, and one from Sega for stealing Sonic!