Shadow

The future of Scanf: You decide!

13 posts in this topic

Good day everyone, Shadow here with another update.

First of all, I'd like to take this time to announce that both the Fleetway Sonic the Hedgehog comics and the Sonic Manga will be coming back to Scanf! I can't promise an exact date that it will return as we have to make some adjustments to the site first, but I'm sure this comes as good news for most people.

On to the next topic. Sonic Scanf had been publishing the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics illegally and we have decided to stop uploading them. Most of our traffic were partly thanks to the Archie comics however, so we unfortunately will have to see many people go. But that's where you come in!

We would like to broaden our horizons a bit, and you as the audience can have a hand in what we will do. What new additions would you like to see on Scanf? What do you first think of when you go to a Sonic fansite? We are looking for additions both inside and preferably outside of the forums, so keep the ideas coming and who knows, maybe your idea will be part of Scanf's future!

We as the Sonic Scanf staff will take every suggestion into consideration and will take a serious look at them. Please be considerate and realistic in what you suggest. Examples like official playable Sonic games (not talking about rom hacks/fangames here) on an emulator are an instant no-go. And while we would love to bring every single one of your suggestions to life, we are still humans with fairly average skills in web development.

That's all for now. Be sure to leave your suggestions down below or at the news page!

Honestly? Other than the pipe dream of archiving the few Archie comics that are at risk of being lost to time which I know can't happen for legal reasons, I think the best thing for this site is to encourage the growth of discussion over the comics. What makes this site unique over other Sonic fan sites is the focus on the comics. By keeping the focus on the comics and discussion of them, it would keep Scanf unique and a possible interesting draw to other potential fans in the future.

From what I've seen, you have a really great community here, and I don't want to see that changed. I suggest finding a way to tempban and permaban people from the forums in the most extreme cases. I know I may seem like a horrible person, but you have something great here and you need to protect it.

Oh, there is one thing! But I don't know how feasible this is: The ability to toggle which forum topics show up as "newly posted." I try to keep updated on the entire forum, so every time I see the signal that there's a new post I click it to clear it out and check out what's been posted. However, some topics I have absolutely zero interest in (read: the Roleplay forums) and with how often they're interacted with, it's sometimes a chore to keep clicking through them to mark it as read. If I had an option to say "Show me when a new post is displayed EXCEPT in the following Topics" that'd be SUPER convenient.

Oh, there is one thing! But I don't know how feasible this is: The ability to toggle which forum topics show up as "newly posted.

The icon to the left of the forum does it for me. I've probably got a different theme to yours but I think it works on them all

I've seen that @tiny260 already sugested keeping the focus onto the comics, so I would also recommend "updating" the News section.

What I mean with this is simply adding more recent news. For example, the last videogame article I've read there was about the announcement of Sonic Boom: Ice & Fire, and it is already launched! And what happens with the news about SonicMania? Or the Project 2017?

I know this web mostly focuses on comics, and i'm fine with that. In fact, that's why I'm here. But I use to look for info about recent news of Sonic and I wonder "why can't I see them in my friggin' favourite Sonic website?"

There could also be a "review section" where comic sagas or videogames are, well, REVIEWED (didn't see that coming).

Those are my suggestions. Now let's see if the gods hear my pray...

1 person likes this

honestly, just putting Fleetway back up would be nice. Though I agree with thee updating of the news page and reviews. Though not by me, I can't afford new games for a while.

We are working on putting the Fleetway and Mangas back up! ;) 

I agree with keeping the site's focus on comics, but I think it would be cool to maybe have some of the TV shows on here. Yes, they're made for kids, but it would still be cool.

I've seen that @tiny260 already sugested keeping the focus onto the comics, so I would also recommend "updating" the News section.

What I mean with this is simply adding more recent news. For example, the last videogame article I've read there was about the announcement of Sonic Boom: Ice & Fire, and it is already launched! And what happens with the news about SonicMania? Or the Project 2017?

I know this web mostly focuses on comics, and i'm fine with that. In fact, that's why I'm here. But I use to look for info about recent news of Sonic and I wonder "why can't I see them in my friggin' favourite Sonic website?"

There could also be a "review section" where comic sagas or videogames are, well, REVIEWED (didn't see that coming).

Those are my suggestions. Now let's see if the gods hear my pray...

I totally agree with this. this site should cover more about the recent sonic news, like games and upcoming shows or comics. i am new to this site and I am liking it so far , i mean removing the comics was a shock but I understand the situation, so focusing more on news would make this site one of the best sites for me. and I think creating an app for this site would make it easier to access it from mobile(which I am currently using) and it will make notifications easier to arrive. Finally i want to thank you moderates for all of the efforts you put to make this site great.

Edited by Mostof1
1 person likes this

I think that's a great idea. There already does exist a Russian SCANF channel, so why shouldn't we have our own too?

2 people like this