Shadow

Regarding the Comics

53 posts in this topic

Good day everyone. We at Sonic SCANF would like to inform you on an important matter that will affect the entirety of our site.

As many of you know, we have been uploading the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comics on our website for fans to enjoy for free. Unsurprisingly, this is considered on almost any front illegal, as Archie Comic Publications Inc. is not making any profit from us. While we have been considering alternate methods to assist Archie, ultimately we came to a final decision. Out of respect for Ian Flynn and his team, we have decided to stop publishing the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics on our website. It would be unreasonable for us to continue uploading them without permission while they are suffering.

What does this mean for Sonic SCANF? We will continue to be around for now, as the News, Forums and Gallery will still be available to everyone. However, we will suffer a massive dent in the traffic as many people only visited our site for the comics. None of us know what the future will hold for Sonic SCANF, but whenever we know something, we’ll be the first to let you know.

Therefore, we would ask you to please accept the statement and not request us to continue uploading the comics. It would be disrespectful to both Archie Comics and us, and our decision won’t change.

We hope to see you stick around. If not, thank you for your time and supporting our website.

The Sonic SCANF team.

3 people like this

I agree 100% with this. 

Archie financial issues are the sole reason people are speculating about the Mega Man hiatus.

Also, in addition to the legal issues, StH and SU might be on the edge of being canceled.

Sonic SCANF was my primary site for these comics, since I'm pretty much broke, but I do agree with staff's decision.

The problem is, although we can find new releases of StH and SU in other sources, Sonic SCANF was the only place that we could get releases that were missed by the comic scanning/ripping scene.

If it's prohibited now to ask for this, please delete what follows next:

If someone has Sonic Mega Drive #2 and the two volumes of Worlds Unite crossover that are missing from the current "scene", please PM me. I'm need of these two comics. 

EDIT: PS.: Thanks very much for all the services through all these years. I was lurking the entire time and since this is pretty much a closure of the site, I don't want to forget all the things I got from here. Life goes on!

Edited by alfablac

We knew this day was coming, as previously stated, I agree with the staff's decision. The comics are great and all but I came here to have a good time with my friends. And I will continue to do so!

So thank you everyone, I look forward to seeing you around!

Well that is kinda blunt, suddenly removing everything.

Well have to search for other sources then.

Thank you both Alfablac and Thire for understanding. We have no plans of closing the forums, so the both of you are definitely welcome to stay if you want :)!

Well that is kinda blunt, suddenly removing everything.

Well have to search for other sources then.

Good luck.

This is very sad for me. I've been a fan of Sonic since I was 6 years old, and I got hooked on the Sonic Archives series. The continuity always confused me because the archives are incomplete; they are copies of the stories and not of the comic books themselves. I found this website about 4 months ago, and I started reading through the comics from the beginning. I've since realized just how incomplete the archives were, leaving out Sally's mini-series among other special issues, and I fell in love with the comics all over again. Thank you all for what you've done here. It's very sad for me to see it go.

That being said, I agree with removing comics that interfere with Archie Comics and Ian Flynn. They should profit for what they make. Still, where can we read these comics now? The new ones are easy enough to find, but where are the old ones sold? Can we buy scans of them from Archie? If anyone knows where to purchase or find copies or scans, please let me know. I was on issue #74 when the comics were removed, and I don't know how the 75th issue story arc finished. It's been building up for the last 13 issues or so and I'm stuck without a resolution. It's like reading the archives all over again, haha.

So to sum this up, I agree with your decision, but please either leave the older comics on the website or tell me where else I can find them, because I'm kind of desperate for a resolution and I don't want to read a summary on a wiki. Thank you.

While I respect this decision and do agree it's for the best, I am admittedly slightly worried. Sonic_Boom0, you can find the majority of the comics available on the Archie Comic's app... however, there are many comics on that app that can't be found anywhere else be it for legal issues or some unknown reason. For example, Sonic Select #1 contains two of the three stories from both Sonic: In Your Face! and Sonic & Knuckles, but that third story in both can't be found in Select.

That's why I'm worried. This site was the best location to archive material that would otherwise have been lost to time, and now... Well, let's just say collectors and obsessive continuity freaks have something to fear.

I understand both of your concerns, and also thank you for respecting our decision. However, even leaving the old comics on our site would go against our statement, my apologies.

A great alternative is, like Tiny260 said, the Archie comics app. That is, if you don't mind paying a few bucks for the comics and having to read it digitally. Other ways include the Archie store themselves, and I saw them pop up occasionally on the Official Sonic Merchandise site as well.

If you want to read the comics for free, they may still be findable through a google and/or torrent search, though I highly advise you to proceed with caution since not every site is safe to visit. I know that there is one site that has all the comics uploaded as far as I'm aware, and it's one of the first google search results you should come across. Feel free to private message me if you can't find that site, but I'm unable to say it in public here.

This is for now the only options I can offer you. My apologies and thank you again for understanding.

I always figured that SCANF would've been given a cease-and-desist letter if this sort of thing would happen, but seeing you give up the comics willingly and honorably is just...awesome. I feel proud.

I always figured that SCANF would've been given a cease-and-desist letter if this sort of thing would happen, but seeing you give up the comics willingly and honorably is just...awesome. I feel proud.

I know what you mean. Just goes to show what kind of community this place has. I'd also like to say that, while there are definitely detractors who don't like that they can't access many of these comics for free anymore, it warms my heart to see just as many people willingly accept this with honor and dignity.

You do bring up a good point, though... did this site totally slip under Archie's radar or did they just not care enough to send a C&D? I'm glad it didn't ever come to that point, but I'm just surprised this site survived for as long as it did without that happening.

My first experience with Sonic was the comics. I found the Sonic Archives graphic novels a while back at Barnes and Noble. Occasionally I would pick up the next book in the series. I got to the point where there were no new books being carried there. Then I got into the modern comics, which I could find at grocery stores. I would try to keep up, but only a couple grocery stores carried them, and we didn't always go to those stores. Occasionally, I would miss one or two comics. I got a subscription to the comics, but that subscription ran up and I didn't know it. This was around the time of Worlds Collide. I stopped thinking about it, until my sister told me that she used this website to keep up. So I came here to check it out. I was able to get caught up with the comics, and I didn't have to worry about missing any, or my subscription running up. Any time I heard about part of the storyline that I hadn't seen, I'd find the comic and read it to see it for myself. I always knew this site could be taken down any day, but I got so used to it, that I wasn't expecting this. Now I'll have to find a way to keep up with the comics. This was such an easy way to read them, and I would gladly pay for a membership if Archie started their own version of this.

Edited by Spark_Volt

...This was such an easy way to read them, and I would gladly pay for a membership if Archie started their own version of this.

This. So much this. I've always said that a "Netflix" like subscription service for Archie where one would pay a certain amount of money a month and get access to all the comic's published digitally would bring in a flood of people, no doubt. The Archie Comics app does have a service similar to that, but it's only for select comics, and as far as I can tell Sonic is not one of the listed comics. What I would pay to see that in action, though...

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your support.  This was not an easy decision, and it is gladdening to see all the positivity from all of you given how much negativity there could have been.

Thank you all.

2 people like this

I feel proud too, but I was a little sad because after going to bed November 2nd I saw that Sonic SCANF uploaded the Sonic Mega Drive - Next Levels (the second issue from the Mega Drive series), but I didn't download because I wasn't on my PC. I just thought: "nah.. I will download it tomorrow".

So the morning of November, 3rd for my surprise the comic section was taken down and the comic piracy scene didn't release the Sonic Mega Drive - Next Levels issue. Firstly, I was sad, but now, thinking more, there's no way better than just purchasing the comic myself. I'm not rich, but I think that one or two issues monthly won't hit the savings (for those that don't hit the comic torrent scene).

I know that the follow question is pretty much rhetorical, but is it possible to get a final backup from the site somehow?

As I said before and someone pointed out here too, there were some issues here that you wouldn't find any where on in the internet.

From the top of my head, I can point out to some digital rips that only SCANF had. These would be hard to get legally, since it's pretty much spending

somewhere between 200-300 dollars. I huge amount for those unfortunated.

1 person likes this

I am extremely sad to see these comics go, I was a lurker here, joined back in mid-2014, and didn't comment that often at all but I really did appreciate the time and effort into obtaining, scanning and formatting these comics properly.

I'll miss this place as I didn't really make any friends here other than (maybe) Skye because of his great reading order! However, your nobility to allow Ian Flynn and co. to go on without any monetary loss is really amazing, you really all are true fans and that's commendable in itself. I'm proud to at least say I was part of this community, albeit a miniscue amount and am extremely sad to leave.

Adios, Mobians,

HazzaHog

(If anybody is interested, sign up for the Comixology subscription service, they literally have every issue up for sale. You can either buy them separately as they range from about $3-$6 or get a subscription for $6 a month which allows unlimited access to literally every single comic on there. It's owned by Amazon, so it's obviously legitimate and supports the creators)

I wasn't aware of Comixology, thank you very much guys! But yeah, both Comixology and the Archie App are great ways of supporting the creators of our beloved comic series :)

I don't know about anyone else but I utilized the download feature.

This is very sad for me. I've been a fan of Sonic since I was 6 years old, and I got hooked on the Sonic Archives series. The continuity always confused me because the archives are incomplete; they are copies of the stories and not of the comic books themselves. I found this website about 4 months ago, and I started reading through the comics from the beginning. I've since realized just how incomplete the archives were, leaving out Sally's mini-series among other special issues, and I fell in love with the comics all over again. Thank you all for what you've done here. It's very sad for me to see it go.

That being said, I agree with removing comics that interfere with Archie Comics and Ian Flynn. They should profit for what they make. Still, where can we read these comics now? The new ones are easy enough to find, but where are the old ones sold? Can we buy scans of them from Archie? If anyone knows where to purchase or find copies or scans, please let me know. I was on issue #74 when the comics were removed, and I don't know how the 75th issue story arc finished. It's been building up for the last 13 issues or so and I'm stuck without a resolution. It's like reading the archives all over again, haha.

So to sum this up, I agree with your decision, but please either leave the older comics on the website or tell me where else I can find them, because I'm kind of desperate for a resolution and I don't want to read a summary on a wiki. Thank you.

If you'd like (maybe through email), I could send you the files.

Also what about the Fleetway Sonic Comics??

We've got multiple questions about the Fleetway Sonic comics and are currently looking into them. I won't make any promises however. Thank you for bringing them to our attention though!

I brought it up because I saw them here and I didn't think they could possibly still be making profit from them. Also this is unrelated but I can't figure out how to make a status update.

Top right corner of the page under "create" ;)

I brought it up because I saw them here and I didn't think they could possibly still be making profit from them. Also this is unrelated but I can't figure out how to make a status update.

It could be possible they won't make any more profit of it, but there are more things we have to take in consideration. And Status updates can be made in the top right or on your own profile :)

Top right corner of the page under "create" ;)

And Status updates can be made in the top right or on your own profile :)

That's what I figured and when I went to create it only says "Topic".

Also I can't comment on status updates either. Also with the comics, it might not be the best solution but you could also go out and buy them. I have a vast collection. I'm trying to work on a complete collection and I guess you could say It's so close but yet so far. I got most of mine from mycomicshop.com. It's a great place.

Huh... that's weird

Other ways to make a status is to either go to your profile and click on "status feeds" and post using that. Or in the top corner of the status box click "all" and there should be a box to type in