MetroXLR99

Project Sonic 2017 and Sonic Mania Discussion

7 posts in this topic

I am sure plenty of people are talking about this subject. but I feel I must be one of them.

So, anyway. "Sonic Mania", and the mysterious "Project Sonic 2017."

Firstly. Great to see Sega producing new Sonic games that are more original
and NOT a cheap tie-in to the Sonic Boom cartoon (Sega's equivalent to a "Videogame based on a Superhero Movie" gimmick.)

and it certain brings something for everyone to enjoy..

Sonic Mania appears to be yet another nostalgia trip like 'Sonic 4' was
with the return to Sega Genesis styled side scroll, from A-to-B, Sprite gaming.

the trailers alone makes it difficult for me to tell if 'Mania' is a remake of prior classics, or something entirely new
(they claim it is new, with some old levels being remade. So I guess it's a bit of both.)

But I think what everyone is really talking about isn't Sonic Mania. but more of Project Sonic 2017.
the NOT sequel to Sonic Generations, which again has Modern and Classic Sonic teaming up.

Now, apart from the trailer being "theatrical" (I hesitate to use the word "Epic", so to not seem predictable)
what people are really talking about was the tagline at the end: "Join the Resistance", which is starting quite the buzz.

Mainly, people are under the impression that this new game may either be based on
or at least have elements from the Archie Sonic comic book series in it.

Wishful thinking, I know. but could this really be fact?

I mean. I am all for a videogame adaptation of the comic series (which to be honest, has more story and drama than the prior games had)
but, the question is that: are we (the fans) reading TOO MUCH into this one line of text?

I mean, the game won't even be due out until 2017.
and, even then, the release date is sketchy. being given the placeholder of "Holiday 2017"

(heck, they haven't even chosen a proper title yet!)

Still..It's a fun thought. be great to have Sally, or Bunnie as a playable character for once.
but regardless on whether this will be the case, the game looks promising.

I mean. I am certain it won't be a repeat of Sonic '06.
(whose only problem was being a rushed title that was released incomplete.)

I am confident that by Christmas of next year (I am assuming) will give Sega plenty of time to work on the game.
(at the very least, far longer than they are working on Sonic Mania. which has a Spring 2017 release date.)

The odds 2017 of it having anything to with the comics or SatAM is virtually nil.  Simply because Sega isn't keen on tv-show comic content, so it wpu;dn't be spilling over back into the games

I am so amazed by the playable characters in Sonic Mania. So much wow. 10 outa 10. Best game of all time.

Sega never learns.

Not really having any hope for the project either.

Project Sonic looks like a Sonic generations 2 in all honestly. The are kind of looked like a mixture of city escape and rooftop run.

Sonic Mania looked like it was gonna have the first area be Green Hill Zone and then the rest of the game is (hopefully) completely new stages, but the gameplay is the same as original 2D Sonic but with better handling and some new moves.

Overall I can agree that there isn't much information yet to just assume these games will be any good. For me on a personal opinion level, I'm not entirely fond of 2D Sonic. I grew up on Adventures 1 & 2 as well as 3D Blast so all my favorites have been the 3D ones. Aside from Unleashed (I'd give that an 8), I feel like everything after 06' has been above average ratings (like 7/10). Good games for Sega to have made, but definitely isn't the best that they've done. It's kind of like Sonics in this odd trap where the franchise can either continue to make decently good games every year or 2, or take the time to devote a team for creating a majorly large game so that each character has an actual interesting story to them along with unique stages for each rather than it feeling like the main story is about Sonic, and then every elses story is like a remodeled stage from Sonics with slight changes to make it "special".

SA1 almost did this since each player had like 8 stages each, aside from Gamma I think (may that glorious robot rest in peace), however like I said, those stages were almost literally just remade from Sonics levels. SA2 actually had some diversity, but it was only 2 stories for you to follow and every playable character in story mode only had 3-4 stages so the overall storyline was kind of short. in comparison. If they took the time to do something like combine the 2 for a SA3, then that would probably be a really fun game, but like I said, when trying to think of all the possible things they could do for that, theres almost too much to put into consideration for a full on game. Like just as an example of ideas.

Should Sonics stages only be time attacks?

Does Knuckles have to always only search for a broken Master Emerald?

Should Tails go back to Mechas or stay on foot or both?

Should Eggman have his own story to playthrough?

Shoudl the add Chaotix? Would the characters be separate or a trio like in Sonic Heroes?

Always add Chao World

Should Metal Sonic have a more important role other than a mini boss like in Sonic Heroes

Could Chaos make a reappearance?

Should we be rollin around at the speed of sound like 06 tried to do or are we slower than Silver like 06 did?

Where da chilli dogs at?

Item upgrades again?

That's just a bunch of stuff off the top of my head. Of course the actual Sonic team probably has a ton more they could put into consideration but for now it just kinda seems like remaking old style games with newish style game-play and storylines to get some hope and fans again.

2 people like this

I miss the chao world ssoooo much. Instead of making crappy mobile games they should just make a real chao game. That would make the fans happy for a year.

I had a dream they made a chao mmorpg where you could become a chao yourself and train and do chao stuff and compete in tons of mini games. Pretty much like garrys mod, but all chaos and it was the greatest thing for years, then I woke up and cried to reality

I don't know about you, but i can't wait for Sonic Mania and the new Project in 2017. I hope Sonic gives the fans hope in his games in  2017.