BlurryDawgo

Sonic Lost World

299 posts in this topic

I'm just as baffled. I guess they don't want us knowing all of the names of everything. Or honey goes with a lot of treats.....

I'm guessing the latter.

Well honeycomb goes into lots of desserts and of course the Crunchie. As for the gameplay. I actually like the look of it, the ability to control your running looks interesting, as does the parkour system. It seems like there is still a sense of speed and I like the alternate paths. As long as this is a spinoff, I'm fine with it. It looks fun but I absolutely don't want it to be the future of Sonic games. Same with the graphics, which I'm still not a huge fan of. It looks weird seeing as we've had an Adventure style for over a decade, and which I honestly prefer, though I can see where they're going with the vibrant, cartoony look, it makes me think of the old Mega Drive games, and especially the Sonic CD stages in terms of how colourful they are. Also, what are your opinions on the music?

There was music?

Huh, given that was my initial reaction to the music, again, not a good sign. It wasn't bad just, it was just there. Still, only three stages shown, so there will hopefully be some good tunes in there.

Yeah I'm with you there. Nothing stood out for me, which is worrying considering this is a Sonic game. But as you say, we only saw 3 stages, and people were talking over them, so hopefully there will be some memorable ones in there.

I'm hoping Crush 40 makes a return, it's been some time ago when they last made the music of a Sonic Game. And that considering it's one of my favourite bands, it's sad :c

As long as this is a spinoff, I'm fine with it.

It's not a spinoff.

Although I'd love for Crush 40 to come back, I don't think they will for this game. I can't imagine their music going well with the kiddish, cartoony style. Same reason only Tails, Knuckles and Amy are appearing. I imagine someone like Shadow would look horribly out of place in this world. He'd probably have a localised raincloud. And by spinoff I mean in terms of the overall style and gameplay, not the story. I can't imagine this gameplay and art style being used in another Sonic game except in a sequel to this. Same with Heroes, although I liked the gameplay, I'd only want to see it again in Sonic Heroes 2.

Mhm in my opinion it's time for a more mature game again. The last one I can name was Sonic Unleashed, which was just at the edge of coming close to childish.

They shouldn't make games for kids, I'm not kid.

In order to keep all their fans happy Sonic games need to come with two plot settings. First a 'plot light' which has a minimal, light hearted plot, and 'story heavy' which has a dark and more substantive plot. Of course, neither mode should affect gameplay. As if that'd ever happen.

And they need to make it more clear that the 3DS version of a given game is the 2D version, while the console version is the 3D, which keeps fans who like the different gameplay styles happy.

I think they need to find the right balance. The threat should be serious and credible otherwise it ruins the whole tension of the scenario, but at the same time you need to have Sonic's brand of cockiness and it can't be all doom and gloom. I know everyone and their dog points to the Adventure series, but it's a good illustration, you have Dr Eggman destroying an entire city with a water god, and then threatening to destroy the Earth with a space cannon. Those are credible threats, but it doesn't go over board. You have also interesting plots in both games involving the Echidnas and Shadow respectively. Though all this being said I will admit I like how Eggman has gotten more comical, he really does put the mad in mad scientist. Again, it's all about balance.

I found the music to be really good. And I do agree that Crush 40 needs to return to do the main song for this or something. I also agree that Sonic games should have a balance with the younger and older fans. Unleashed was a good example of this. Sonic Heroes too.

Eh, Chip from Unleashed was pretty much the only thing that made the game annoying for me. It was like having a 5 year old tagging along behind you the entire time. The adventure series really was a good level of seriousness though it is kind of true they didn't have anything that appealed to younger kids of today. They really should draw out the Archie villains in different games ever now and again cause they all have so many personalities that can be funny, and serious at the same time.

I prefer chip over omochao anyday too. It was suprising for me (and great at the same time) how the friendship between sonic and chip grew within the game. It wasn't Sonic and Tails this time, but Sonic and Chip.

I do agree with you that he was annoying though. But Eggman turned into a joke with the final cutscene (where he chases orbot on foot). It was embrassing.

Edited by ឴
1 person likes this

Never forget Sonic 06. Although besides the whole awkward princess love, bad animations, controls, and Dr.Eggmans sudden weight loss, I was quite happy with the stages and playable characters. accepting that the game was soly around the 3 hedgehogs, the whole thing with Shadow always driving vehicles kind of made sense, Silver clearly jumps to more conclusions than a cat and a laser pointer, and then Sonic's stages (besides when u did some weird holy shield with the princess) were a pretty cool blend for him. Now sense I can't stand the loading screens and bad controls anymore, the game just sits in my tv stand collecting dust, but the first time I went through and beat it, I pretty much enjoyed the levels and most of the plot. Now the levels themselves can be whatever they want, as long as they're fun. However for the bosses such as the deadly six, if they're deadly, they're going to have to act deadly. I'm not saying someone has to die but they have to have an intention to seriously hurt someone rather than scream and run around like a child's play thing.

Well, you're not, but you shouldn't forget that Sega's target audience are kids, not adult fans. And to be honest, I think that's for good reason - last time Sonic tried to appeal to a more "mature" audience, it turned out to be a complete trainwreck. We all know what game I'm talking about here. Although a couple of jokes from Colors were rather cringeworthy, seeing dead Sonic being kissed by a princess is much more cringeworthy. So with this game and Colors they're at least maintaining a consistent style - and if it works, why change it? They just need to get the story more in-line with the classic games, without all these weird alien monsters/creatures. Colors has gotten it right, but in this one they're kinda overdoing the cartoony aspect. Again, just what I think.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) were attempting to find an audience they didn't need to find. In those games, they tried different genres, like apocalyptic mild horror and drama, but they just don't work in Sonic games. I'm actually really glad they've stuck to Sonic's cartoonish origins.

Never forget Sonic 06. Although besides the whole awkward princess love, bad animations, controls, and Dr.Eggmans sudden weight loss, I was quite happy with the stages and playable characters. accepting that the game was soly around the 3 hedgehogs, the whole thing with Shadow always driving vehicles kind of made sense, Silver clearly jumps to more conclusions than a cat and a laser pointer, and then Sonic's stages (besides when u did some weird holy shield with the princess) were a pretty cool blend for him. Now sense I can't stand the loading screens and bad controls anymore, the game just sits in my tv stand collecting dust, but the first time I went through and beat it, I pretty much enjoyed the levels and most of the plot. Now the levels themselves can be whatever they want, as long as they're fun. However for the bosses such as the deadly six, if they're deadly, they're going to have to act deadly. I'm not saying someone has to die but they have to have an intention to seriously hurt someone rather than scream and run around like a child's play thing.

You know, I've picked this game up so many times and putten it down at the same time, almost more than any other game. I really wanted to give this game a chance as I'm a huge Sonic fan who wanted to complete and enjoy every sonic game out there, but I just couldn't. And it's a shame that this game has so much wasted potential, I even heard Metal Sonic and most of the other characters gained a story line too. And I don't care who's fault it is, either the gaming companies or the fans, it's still a shame this potential game has been wasted.

I agree with Lunar Chaos on the point that they're focussing on the group kids. And I completely agree with all you said, but I prefer a Sonic Adventure 2 storyline over a Sonic Colours storyline which included aliens. Sonic Colours surely did it right, but it was just so off for me... But that's just my opinion :P

And yes, in my opinion the deadly six look terrible. Not only childish, but they don't even deserve the name ''deadly''. Sure, we don't know everything about them but their design doesn't look villainous at all (is that even a word?) I prefer a villain like Mephiles over those bunch anyday.

I'd prefer cartoon antics to anything close to 06 any day of the week. That was an abomination. Anyhow, I understand why they're focusing on the kids, it's definitely less risky because they know that even if the storyline doesn't exactly appeal to adult fans, as long as the gameplay is good it doesn't really matter. I guess it's more a shock to the system because it's been semi-realistic for so long now. I haven't played Colours (I don't own a Wii) so I can't comment on that unfortunately.

As long as it doesn't hit the extremes at either end, I don't mind a light or dark story, though a balance is by far the best. Even at its lightest, Sonic still has dark elements to its storyline (basic story: scientist uses living creatures to power robots. Thats pretty dark on it's own.) which is why I like the franchise storylines normally. The exceptions being 06, and Shadow the Hedgehog is still sitting on the 'to be played' pile right now,so i'll get back to you on that one.

This still carries onto Colours (which I am currently just playing through) which seems childish on the outside, but when you think about what Eggman's plan actually does... And even ignoring that, I find the antics in the cutscenes fun to watch. Though Colours did waste the potential for the best boss fight in the whole series. :P

But I'd agree with Shadow about the Deadly six seem to be taking it in too 'light' a direction, but also with Shadow the Hedgehog (thats kinda confusing) that at the end of the day, its almost all about the gameplay.

The Deadly Six don't look overly deadly, that's for sure. I'll try not to ruin anything Skye but I must let you know Shadow the Hedgehog is very disjointed story-wise. And some of the missions are just horrible. Let's just say it isn't exactly Shadow's finest hour. Back to Lost World. The Mach Speed sections actually look fun here, but the fact that it was implied that you can't control the speed at all has me slightly worried that Sonic is going to be slamming into everything, so hopefully either you can slow him down or it'll be set at a level where he won't be traveling at ludicrous speed.

I'll try not to ruin anything Skye but I must let you know Shadow the Hedgehog is very disjointed story-wise. And some of the missions are just horrible. Let's just say it isn't exactly Shadow's finest hour.

Thanks for the warning! ;) Though,I already had an idea that it wasn't going to be that great. And seconded on your comment re the mach speed sections.

As for the deadly six, it looks like they can be broken into some boring stereotypes...

Red: the big, aggressive one

Yellow: the big dumb one

Pink: the lithe, possibly crazy one

Green: the girl one

Grey: the emo cliché

which leaves one that isn't so obvious, but give he's waving a stick I'd guess the magic using one. Yeah, nothing to see here. Move along.

(What are the odds you fight the red or yellow boss by dodging his attacks so he crashes into a wall?)

Thanks for the warning! ;) Though,I already had an idea that it wasn't going to be that great. And seconded on your comment re the mach speed sections.

As for the deadly six, it looks like they can be broken into some boring stereotypes...

Red: the big, aggressive one

Yellow: the big dumb one

Pink: the lithe, possibly crazy one

Green: the girl one

Grey: the emo cliché

which leaves one that isn't so obvious, but give he's waving a stick I'd guess the magic using one. Yeah, nothing to see here. Move along.

(What are the odds you fight the red or yellow boss by dodging his attacks so he crashes into a wall?)

It would be great if sonic uses his punch to take those bosses down not his homing attack...

I think Nintendo is a lot more influenced in this game than they should. The whole Dessert ruins thing is the exact same pun as from New Super Mario. The gauntlet of truffles, as he called it, is also the same idea from those large lines of bullet bills. In terms of the 2D, it seems like some stages are while other stages aren't but I'm not as upset as I usually am because like he said, They allow you to differentiate between walking and running, also the camera angle is zoomed out a lot, and even if you run at full speed, you still have some control over it, and there isn't an ungodly amount of platforming like generations. The non-stop running thing, I did like it in 06 but as usual, that game was very under-developed so hopefully they made it better. I'm very upset with the fact you cant play as Tails, Knuckles, or Amy though. They could at the very least help in a boss battle. I don't know if it's just me but I tend to skip through cut scenes once I already see them once, so after the first play-through, I'm not gonna see them again. Still I'm really excited for a new Sonic game so I'm not going to skip buying it or a Wii U as my next console. Just have to hope this new form of play is a lot better hands-on compared to watching someone else play.

Dude thats what I was thinking. It looks and feels like a mario game which is the WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU COULD DO EVER becuase it means all creativity is thrown out the window for levels looking like they came from bubsy 3d. It makes sense. The abstract meaningless levels, the game consisting of nothing but reused old features with one new gimmick because NOSTLAGIAAAA!!! and the fact that sonic runs at 4 mph. I know i'm coming across as a whiny sonic fanboy but I'm not even really a fan of the sonic series. I just hate how Nintendo and the Mario series are held with such high regard despite doing things that no other developer could ever get away with and just being crap overall and now the much better alternative is being influenced by it. :( Also why even bother with 2-D any more. You realise that developers have been perfecting this thing called 3d which is basically better in every way. Theres no point in shoving random 2-D sections into your game
1 person likes this

And here's the E3 trailer for the 3DS version! Enjoy :)

If anyone cares, Six's names were revealed and they all sound as if they run away from No Zone; Red brute is Zavok, pink and lean is Zazz, green girl is Zeena, blue and old is Zik, fat yellow is Zomom, and white goth is Zok, and I just realised that he's a dude.

I will be really suprised if these guys turn out to be cool.