NegaMetallix

Sonic Forces (Xbox One, PS4, PC & Nintendo Switch)

154 posts in this topic

Well I DO own 06 even so HERE I GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So, yeah... Frozen Chemical Plant? Looks cool, but the level design feels too linear, like previous gameplays. And I don't like that as much as I wished.

But, LOOK, THERE'S EVEN MORE!

Ermmm... So... Infinite, the mysterious and extremely powerful creature that is faster than Sonic, stronger than any other villain, as menacing as Mephiles and as edgy as Shadow...

...gets hurt by a lightning wispon.
Honestly, I expected more from this guy. But then again, the place where the battle takes place looks great. And the idea of having multiple custom heroes is neat.

Alright, as I was afraid of, in terms of story, Sonic Forces' advertisement was just huge hype for nothing.

Whether it's the game or Shadow DLC, don't expect any mind blowing revelation on Infinite's identity, or Chaos and Shadow being evil again. You'll get those answers alright, but it's as underwhelming as we were hyped. Of the four returning vilains, youl only fight against two. And don't expect a real connection with Mania's plot and Phantom Ruby either, the role of the Phantom Ruby in Mania, or even a tiny basic reason about Classic Sonic's involvement in Forces. While it made sense in Generations, for Forces, he's just there. Just Tails mentioning that the Phantom Ruby (the one from Forces) might be affecting other dimensions, and that's it. And that ending... So much for the Phantom Ruby's "incredible powers".

1 person likes this

I have seen part of the story... and while the dialogues are really well written (characters are not parodies of themselves anymore) and the fight scenes look great, the conclusion and the motives for some events are, sadly, underwhelming.

Specially for ma boi, Infinite.

I was expecting SO MUCH from this guy: who he really was, the source of his power, the fact that he could be a corrupted future Sonic, or an alternate twisted Tails, or any other character from the series that could have been transformed by the Phantom Ruby, maybe ending up breaking the 4th wall, and realising that they were inside a videogame... I don't know... something deeper in the series, but keeping the light-hearted tone... possibilities were, as his name stated, infinite.

Yeah, well... NO. It is a random guy from a random evil team of random mercenaries that is beaten down by Shadow, and he feels bad for the defeat... and that's it. I mean, he was fighting against SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG no less, without any special power by his side; What did he expect? I've read waaaaaay better theories and stories about him, including this site.
But hey, he's a jackal: Infinite the Jackal. Sounds nice.

Also, there are some things that I didn't quite understand.

Like Classic Sonic. Why is he here? Why wasn't the Phantom Ruby in the same place as he landed in? Is there a multiverse here? Was that just another time travel? WHAT IS GOING ON??

And this is Sonic we're talking about: the story should be clear and know where it's leading to.

We could write a better story, guys. And we're not professional writters. Well, at least I'm not one. But I wish I was. And a pro artist too. 

Edited by ChaosKaiser

I have seen part of the story... and while the dialogues are really well written (characters are not parodies of themselves anymore) and the fight scenes look great, the conclusion and the motives for some events are, sadly, underwhelming.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

And this is Sonic we're talking about: the story should be clear and know where it's leading to.

We could write a better story, guys. And we're not professional writters. Well, at least I'm not one. But I wish I was. And a pro artist too. 

The thing about Infinite's backstory is tho..

They made it originally according to anime styled way. Y'know. Most of the villains in anime have petty reasons to become villains in the first place. Sonic Forces was originally Japanese game, hence why they made the plot like in one of the animes, it makes sense really if you think about it. As for Classic Sonic, Infinite's power is to distort reality no? with the power of finished Phantom Ruby, it was possible to connect worlds, though it was a mistake, that they probably didn't notice while testing the finished power source. Hence Classic Sonic appearing. I also love how the line for Sonic and friends meeting him is: "It has been Generations since we last met!"

and while we're on the subject. Want to explain Silver then? He is from the future, so technically this shouldn't even be his problem, unless of course it'd change reality or future drastically. But if so... Where the hell is our girl Blaze?!

then lastly, you can OBVIOUSLY see the anime vibes when they're talking about friendship and stuff in the game A LOT. Classic anime speech.

1 person likes this

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I get where they were going with this, BUT...

...anime styled scripts doesn't have to be simple. You are probably the most adequate person in this site to know that. Good anime writers put great effort to define their characters and make them develop through emotions and well-thought character arcs. And Sonic is in some way, pretty similar to a shonen manga.
Also we've seen great development in villains from prevous games: Shadow's backstory in the ARK and his relationship with Maria; Chaos desperate attempt to stop the echidna tribe from hurting the chao, causing the complete destruction of their society (storyline that delivers a great message about pacifism), the Babylon Rogues ambiguous morality and Jet's motivations to get to the Babylon's treasure, involving his pirate? fahter;  Dark Gaia's sort of religious background...

The thing is that Infinite had so much potential, SPECIALLY being an anime-like supervillain. But the truth is that he's just a jackal who is defeated by a being more powerful than he is. And that's it. The story never clearly tells you how he gets to Eggman (unless you read the prequel comics), or what his motivations are to fight against Sonic and NOT to fight Shadow, why he would want the world to be destroyed, etc. 

As for the "friendship power" trope, it's been in the Sonic series for really long, and as we've said, it's a shonen trope that works in the franchise. Nothing wrong with that.

As for Silver and Classic Sonic...

I have no idea either. And I see alarming the fact that Blaze isn't here either. If this is an interdimensional crisis, Blaze SHOULD be here.

And yes, we know Classic Sonic is here by mistake, but then again, from a narrative standpoint, his presence seems... off. I mean, if you took Classic Sonic out of the stage, it wouldn't change a single thing.
Well, in fact, something would drastically change: Tails would have a bigger role and a better character arc, trying to overcome his fear alone and facing Eggman on his own, like he's done in previous games. Because it's our boi Tails. We love him. Sega needs to give him some love, not only to Kurassikku Sonikku.

Edited by ChaosKaiser
2 people like this

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I get where they were going with this, BUT...

Hidden Content

As for Silver and Classic Sonic...

Hidden Content

Well if Infinite's backstory is weird, what about Eggman's usual ones then? 1. Turning the world fully robotic. (Why?)  2. Making an Eggman Park (Why?) Destroying the whole world while he himself is on it (Why?) Why does he want to rule the world in the first place? I don't think he's ever given any good answers for it? Just because... Evil Scientist?

Eggman suffers the same problem as the rest of the main cast, mostly Sonic: Sega didn't gave us a proper origin story in the games. But with later characters, they offered a deeper backstory, specially with the villains (except for the Deadly Six, which are Zeti... and are evil. That's all we know).

Also, what does Infinite want to do? Rule the world? Destroy it? Show that he is not weak? 
Probably all of this questions I'm making is because I'm upset with the story development. Infinite looked so much more... he seemed like a truly menacing villain, one that could even change the way Sonic and his pals saw their world... but sadly, he turned out to be something much more simple.

2 people like this

My only major complaint is :

How Tails' character was handled. That's all I'm gonna say.

Edited by Seviper the Fang Snake
1 person likes this

Yeah, it's pretty sad to see Tails like this, when in the "Adventure era", he was a total pro, on par with Sonic. He was not his sidekick anymore, but his brother. A hero on his own... He made the Tornado turn into a friggin' transformer, for Chaos sake!

What happened to you, Miles? You were the sh*t, bro.

1 person likes this

Well they added Super Sonic DLC. It's free for now.

Wait, Super Sonic is a DLC?! O.O Whoa Whoa Whoa. I get that it is free but...

...but it won't be free after a pair of months. Then it will cost 1.99$.

Paying for Super Sonic, guys... WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING? WHAT WAS SEGA THINKING?? ... and I was hyped for this game...

Finally finished Sonic Forces.  Better late than never.  Well, I still have the post-game and Episode Shadow things to do.

And, to be honest, aside from three controller-snapping-frustrating levels, it was better than I was expecting.  But I put that down to being very forewarned about it's flaws

Yeah great game (hated Imperial Tower though...) I’ll definitely come back and kick its butt again sometime. I think they did the Custom Character justice for a Sonic game and I actually wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

*laughs* Yep, Imperial Tower was one of those levels I hated.  A shame, cause it should have been an awesome level.  I actually did better just winging the jumps and crossing my fingers than doing them properly.

If they DON'T put the Avatar system in the next Sonic game you know half the fanbase will riot, even if they do make the best Sonic game ever!

It could be Sonic Adventure 3 and they’d still be upset. Heck, even Shadow the Hedgehog 2.

In some ways they have shot themselves in the foot by making OC's part of the franchise now.... didn't help that Infinite also comes across as one of those bad over-powered fan-fic villains...  It's like they were so unsure what to do they raided a fan-fic site and grabbed the first one they could find.

1 person likes this

Exactly. Thankfully the music is as always top notch.

I've got the soundtrack album already.  I really like what they did with the lyrics in the avatar stages.

I NEED to get the soundtrack...

It's pretty much all on youtube!

True, but a purchase helps me support the awesome soundtrack!

A word of warning that it is a pricey purchase, but then it gives you every track in the game.  Including cutscene music.

Hmm... Alright then.