NegaMetallix

Sonic Forces (Xbox One, PS4, PC & Nintendo Switch)

154 posts in this topic

Alright, here's the other brand new game revealed at Sonic's 25th Anniversary Party. There's no official name yet, so for now it's being referred to as 'Project 2017' (Now known as Sonic Forces):

There's really not much at all revealed in the trailer (and rightfully so, since it's over a year away). All we know so far is that:

- Giant, seemingly-mass-produced Death Egg Robots are destroying a city.

- Sonic isn't happy, and is ready to challenge whoever's responsible (most likely Eggman).

- Yes, Classic Sonic is returning to aid his present-self for this new fight.

- Something about a Resistance...? That tagline's gotta mean something, right?

- It's scheduled to release in the Holiday season of 2017.

- No, this ISN'T Generations 2! Takeshi Iizuka deconfirmed this before the trailer was even shown. (With the recent gameplay reveal, though... it totally is!)

I don't really have much to say about this game currently, since there's so little information on it right now. But what about your thoughts?

Edited by Captain Metallix
Updated with the official game title.

So, given the presence of Classic Sonic, and the whole 'resistance' tagline, I'm gonna guess that Eggman has used time travel so that he conquered the Classic Era, and now the Modern Era is his Eggman Empire.  Hence the whole 'resistance' part, as Modern Sonic will be part of a resistance against the Eggman Empire.

But, as the Cpt'n said, there's not much revealed yet, so we'll need to wait and see.

I want this to be a crossover with not just these two Sonics, but other Sonics as well. In fact, at 1:03, when both Sonics are running at the camera they're too slanted towards the right of the shot rather than aligning at the center. It's probable that a third character may be missing at the left side. Sonic Boom Sonic, maybe? It's too soon to tell.

"Heroes need help" and twin Sonics sound like a full co-op gameplay. I also smell the return of 2.5D. Moreover, I hope we can get to play as other characters (like Tails and Knuckles) this time.

Looking forward to this.

Crazy idea ahead...

I have read in other places about this, but, what if that "resistance" makes reference to some kind of Freedom Fighters? What if, not only Classic and Modern Sonic fight along, but also "Comic Sonic"? Could this be a giant crossover thingy?

If not, the most plausible option would be Boom Sonic. They have said that there will be a new character in this game, so...

As cool of an idea as that would be, Chaos, I highly doubt the Freedom Fighters will be included in the new game. I think I've read somewhere that Sega's actually kind of sick of the fan demand for Freedom Fighters in the games, but take my word with a grain of salt.

So, we'll definately never get to see the Freedom Fighters in any videogame? Well, dreaming's free...

Boom Sonic then *sigh*. Gotta be honest, not the best option IMO

Sega is unhappy about the Freedom Fighters being in the COMICS!  The odds of them showing in a game are, alas, astronomical. 

I have my doubts about the third Sonic (if that's going to happen) being Boom Sonic. Mainly because Sonic Boom was developed by western developers and are in no way associated with Sonic team. On that note, did Japan ever get the Boom games? I'm not sure on that last statement, but that might result in Boom Sonic not being the third Sonic.

Which, let's be honest, is for many people a plus.

I thought Sega didn't care much, not that they were directly unhappy.

Do you know why is that?

I'm one of the few who wouldn;t be bothered if it was Boom Sonic!

And... not really, no.  But I;d guess because they aren't Sega characters, therefore not ones they fully control.

Huh, this just popped into my mind.  So... We have Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, so what about, instead of Boom, Dark Future Sonic.  It would explain  the ruined cityscape with massive robots patrolling.  And wouldn;t be the first time Sonic's done "Set right what once went wrong" plots.

Bonus points if Dark Future Sonic still has bandages on his arms and wears a scarf.

Bonus points if Dark Future Sonic still has bandages on his arms and wears a scarf.

ROFL! At least this time he might have an excuse for the bandages! ;) 

1 person likes this

Boom Sonic doesn't seem to have a bad future. Actually, it looks like in the Boom universe there's even more natural enviroments and less machines or technology.

...asuming we're talking about a CD-like Bad Future, which usually involves dark robots and machines taking over the world.

Well from what I can tell from the trailer.. To me this feels like Sonic Generations copy basically. I mean sure, I have SOME hope that it'll be something actually new and fresh, but at least the trailer screams COPY. I don't know if it's just me, but taking back the Classic Sonic too.. Wonder how they'll make the story fit this time.

I don't think it's Eggy behind stuff this time. Well I hope he's not. Metal Sonic neither. 

@NMS Well... I could see Eggman and/or Metal Sonic behind this...

@Shinomi-chan I agree, it feels like a sequel of Generations. And to be honest... I don't like that. 

It's not that I don't like the idea itself, Modern and Classic Sonic teaming up again sounds way past cool, but I feel concerned about the fact that Sega doesn't seem to have new ideas for a storyline. Also, remaking classic levels AGAIN? I love Green Hill as much as anyone, but gosh, isn't this overexplotation of nostalgia?

What I'm trying to say is that I want something new and fresh. All the special anniversary titles have expanded Sonic's universe:

• Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th Anniversary game, and the only hint to the past was the Green Hill remake that you could only unlock after getting All-A Ranks. They added Shadow and Rouge, two of the most popular characters of the franchise.
  • Sonic 2006... well... was ambitious. Maybe TOO AMBITIOUS and try-hard edgy and FinalFantasy-esque, but it tried to offer something new. Silver the Hedgehog made his debut, and the idea of a psychokinetic hero was groundbreaking in the franchise.
  • Generations was a blast for the past, sure, but it was a refreshing image seeing Modern and Classic Sonic together. 

*Note I'm talking mostly about the STORY. Modern Sonic gameplay is f*ckin' awesome, IMO... but would it be too much to ask for adding different kinds of gameplay with other characters (that might not be Sonic)?

1 person likes this

@NMS Well... I could see Eggman and/or Metal Sonic behind this...

@Shinomi-chan I agree, it feels like a sequel of Generations. And to be honest... I don't like that. 

It's not that I don't like the idea itself, Modern and Classic Sonic teaming up again sounds way past cool, but I feel concerned about the fact that Sega doesn't seem to have new ideas for a storyline. Also, remaking classic levels AGAIN? I love Green Hill as much as anyone, but gosh, isn't this overexplotation of nostalgia?

What I'm trying to say is that I want something new and fresh. All the special anniversary titles have expanded Sonic's universe:

• Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th Anniversary game, and the only hint to the past was the Green Hill remake that you could only unlock after getting All-A Ranks. They added Shadow and Rouge, two of the most popular characters of the franchise.
  • Sonic 2006... well... was ambitious. Maybe TOO AMBITIOUS and try-hard edgy and FinalFantasy-esque, but it tried to offer something new. Silver the Hedgehog made his debut, and the idea of a psychokinetic hero was groundbreaking in the franchise.
  • Generations was a blast for the past, sure, but it was a refreshing image seeing Modern and Classic Sonic together. 

*Note I'm talking mostly about the STORY. Modern Sonic gameplay is f*ckin' awesome, IMO... but would it be too much to ask for adding different kinds of gameplay with other characters (that might not be Sonic)?

Exactly. This is all getting far too into what Sonic USED TO be. Not what he could be NOW. (Oh god please never make modern Sonic meet the Boom cast, or I will flip tables. and don't replace Knuckles with Boom one! NEVER the Boom one!)

I don't know what I want from the new game but... SOMETHING. ANYTHING. New gameplay style? New characters? Interesting storyline? PLEASE. I was really into Sonic Riders, Unleashed and the other titles (Which I couldn't afford and had no console...) But that's because they always showed SOMETHING new we hadn't seen yet. Maybe new characters, new levels, new gameplay (heck even Sonic & The Black Knight at least showed us SOMETHING new. Even if it didn't make well on the market) and if it includes playing as other characters, it's immediately better. (as long as the style ain't like in... 06 *shivers* ) So please, they can take their time and make a GOOD, DECENT game, and not let fan bit** about it all the time and be FORCED to make a new Sonic title with many problems ( *cough* Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric *cough* *cough* Shattered Crystal *cough* )

1 person likes this

Hmm.... that footage did look a little too..... on rails.  Hopefully I'm wrong and it was just being played by someone who knows what they're doing!

1 person likes this

CURSE SEGA'S FEAR OF MONEY AND SUCCESS!!

.....ehem, sorry. get like this when they decide that they don't want to use the Freedom fighters. I get they don't technically own them, but if they were gonna bleed the budget on Boom, couldn't they bleed a little bit to get the rights to use the Freedom fighters? Is it a principle thing at this point, or what?

It's more like Freedom Fighter isn't the point of Sonic series in the eye of Sega. Sonic as a character is usually a free-roaming teenager who wanders around looking for adventures instead of staying in one place or joining an army. It's also kind of hard to have 7 regular heroes when you are making a platform game, unless you try to invoke a switching mechanic (something that didn't work back in Sonic '06).

It's not the numbers thing, because sega has WAY more then seven characters in some of their games, most unplayable but still. I wish they'd take the Paper Mario route some days, and make a separate continuity and see how it goes. Heck, the trailer is practically poking fun at my point of view, selling the whole package minus the Freedom fighters. They wouldn't need to be playable (although a stealth section as Sally and Nicole could be fun), they could just be supporting cast. They already said only three characters will be playable this time, being Sonic, other Sonic, and probably a third Sonic, but that Amy, Knux, and the Chaotix will be there solely for supporting cast. Thats 8 characters right there (technically) so the number isn't the problem.

... maybe they could at least bring Mighty back to the chaotix? Him and Ray did have an interesting Easter egg in generations, and having them show up here could be a fun twist.

(although a stealth section as Sally and Nicole could be fun),

NO!  NO!  NO!  PLEASE GOD NO!

Ahem, more seriously, enforced stealth sections in games that do not usually have stealth mechanics are HORRIBLE!  Heck, even some pure stealth games have horrible stealth.  What you're asking for here is almost another Big's Fishing segment.  Something slow, tedious, with annoying mechanics, but with the additional fun of an instant game over if you get spotted.

Very well, stealth comment withdrawn. Still hopeful we might get Mighty.

Edited by Frostryu