Luescris the Wolf

Your opinions on the new comics

18 posts in this topic

So far, I think these new comics are really interesting. They really had done a great job of following the Sonic Unleashed story. Sure they changed it up a bit, but things can be changed. Besides, there's more characters.

What do you guys think of them?

Well... I'm enjoying them still. There are a few odd points to them and of course it doesn't quite have that vastness of characters with storylines we've gotten to see and everything but considering how short it's been going on compared to before I can get passed that and enjoy it for what it is

I kind of think they could improve a bit. the 10/10 story thing kind of needs to go cause it makes the comic feel very rushed and stuff.

I personally like the new comics, not to say I don't like the Pre-Genesis Wave comics, but this honestly feels like a fresh new take on the Archie Comics whilst still keeping their old charm. True it doesn't feel as big as the old comics which ran for a decades, but that's a given seeing as the Genesis Wave comics are still new and we haven't seen all there is to this new universe. I do miss some of the old characters which will probably never return, but I am starting to like the newer characters as well. They brought back some of the elements of the old media, AoStH, SatAM, the older Sonic Games and revitalized them with a fresh new take. I have a feeling these new comics will gain more popularity as time goes on and we get to explore what the creators have to offer.

I really like this new take on the comics. I am into superhero comics too, and I felt this Genesis Wave was some kind of "Flashpoint-like" thing in order to reboot the series, so I am okay with that. Also, I love that they aproached the games more, as well as including cameos and references from the whole videogame universe. BTW, the most recent artists are great, from Yardley on: Ben Bates, Evan Stanley, Diane Skelly, Jennifer Hernandez... and a lot more. The artwork is more Sonic-like thanks to this people.

If I had to say something bad about it was that due to the reboot some storylines never got finished, and they were darker than this new way they've taken, and some story arcs ended too quickly and felt a little rush (specially in Sonic Universe).

I always felt that Sonic comics could be a little darker and more serious. Not reaching violent or too dramatic themes, but just taking some events more seriously.

I always felt that Sonic comics could be a little darker and more serious. Not reaching violent or too dramatic themes, but just taking some events more seriously.

Did you read any of the Fleetway comics? They would occasionally go kind of dark

Regarding the arcs finishing, in Sonic Universe at least they seem to have a system that it's 4 comics then that's it. I would say sometime it works but agreed sometimes they rush to finish it to get it all sorted

I don't follow the Fleetway comics, but I've read some of them, and yeah, they take on darker stuff... sometimes TOO dark.

And yeah, I get the 4-chapter idea. It's great if you want to just read an auto-conclusive story that focuses on secondary characters.

But I sometimes felt that they could extend some arcs for 6 episodes, for example.

The only trouble with a 6 arc story is that is basically taking half a year to tell a single story.  Which is fine if you like the characters involved, but if it's a group you're not keen on, it might get grating.

Personally I would like to see some 6 issue stories, but I can see the arguments against them.

I like them, it's a shame we lost so many cool characters and potential stories thanks to the genesis waves... But on the other hand I wanted to see a good take on the Sonic games INCLUDING Chaotix and FF, and others who used to be in Sonic SatAm. 

I have to say I do like the new world we have, and while losing the continuity is a shame, it does mean the new world is more tightly designed, as opposed to the origonal, which had become a little unwieldy.  Inevitable after several years of comics, with continuity not in mind at the start and a very different tone.

Having said that, I wish it hadn't been an 'in universe' reboot.  Because when it comes down too it, Eggman murdered a significant portion of the cast and Sonic couldn't stop him.  (And then you had all the official publications going 'This reboot will be great cause...' and that made me feel a little sick.)

Because when it comes down too it, Eggman murdered a significant portion of the cast and Sonic couldn't stop him.  (And then you had all the official publications going 'This reboot will be great cause...' and that made me feel a little sick.)

Well, they were not technically "murdered", but instead erased from existance... or something like that?.

I don't know what's worse...

As a Doctor Who fan, I know it basically comes to the same thing in the end.  Dead is dead, and Eggman's intent was to destroy the universe at the time.  

So, either way, Eggman is responsible for what happened, and Sonic unable to save them.

You were saying you wanted a bit more darkness in the Comics! ;) 

Well, existance-erased people is sure a dark thing to tell a story about!

The problem is they can't talk about some of those dissapeared characters. But still, there are some deep moments in the new comics...

Like when the Eggman Armada wiped out the Sky Patrol, and in one page Nicole seemed to be erased. That chapter was deep IMO.

So yeah, there's a nice balance between comedy and drama.

What I was refering to with that "darkness" is that some characters might receive more serious stories than others. Like Team Dark (no pun intended) 

I know what you mean.  It's one of the reasons I really like Sonic in the first place.  It looks all colourful and cartoony on the surface, but dig a little deeper and it can get a bit more dark and serious.  After all, the very basic plot is 'scientist using living creatures to power robots'.  

I couldn't agree more with that statement, my friend. :)

Always great to find someone who shares your feelings!  Thanks!

When it comes down to these things, a lot of fairly colourful and cartoony things can have a deeper and darker meaning to them. Some darker than others. I always find them pretty facinating. I would say it works more for older cartoons and things. Newer ones seem to overdo the cartoonyness a little

I still stand by my opinion of the comics today and even more now. There the lowest in sales in the comics history for a reason, and it's not because of this site either (or used to be).