8 posts in this topic

thunderbolt_chinchilla_motivational_by_m

This is something that I noticed while reading the Revamped Sonic Comics..

Dr. Eggman's Egg Legion/Egg Bosses (who are Mobian/Anthros
 working for him as his lieutenants) each serve him for different reasons.

Some are being blackmailed, others serve due to some empty promise.
and, some ever do so because they LIKE being bad.

But, Thunderbolt stands out among the rest.
for simply serving Eggman because she is (obsessively) in love with him.

coupled with her explosive attitude (and, Eggman's "ignorance" at her feelings)
she seems to me to be Archie Sonic's equivalent to DC's Harley Quinn.

(you know, if Harley was some kind of Pikachu parody, or something.)

On a side note, the fact that Thunderbolt (an Anthropomorphic Chinchilla)
IS madly in love with Eggman (a human) means this technically counts
as an interspecies pairing/romance. albeit One-sided on Thunderbolt's case.

Normally, any anthro character in love with Eggman would be weird
(in fact, GAG worthy, if we all still remember what Eggman was like
  as Robotnik on SatAM, AoSTH and even SU.)

but, Thunderbolt physically matches Eggman in terms of being..Hefty.

So, in THIS case..I guess it works.

I.... don't think so.  The only connection with Harley is the 'unrequited love' thing, which is a fair common trait and not unique to Quinn.  Other than that she's pretty different.  If she starts breaking out a mallet or starts calling Eggman 'Doctah E' then you can say you called it! ;) 

Gotta say.. that's kinda.... adorable :) I like it. The fact that someone finally shows a little love towards Eggy. Mobian or not... it's adorable xD

1 person likes this

Yeah, it is kind of adorable actually. It's also true, I can't picture any other mobian character paired with him without it seeming very creepy and just wrong.

I recently watched The New Batman Adventures episode "Mad Love" (based of the one-shot DCU comic of the same name), which is probably one of the the most famous examples of Harley Quinn's attraction towards the Joker.

It tells us that before turning to crime, Harley (or rather, Harleen Quinzel) was a psychiatrist interning at Arkham, and the Joker, through several interviews, offered to share his "experience" with her, which involved stories about his abusive father and how the only happy moment he ever had with him was their trip to the circus when he was seven (which is of course, a lie through and through). This was enough to convince Harleen that all of the Joker's anger came from Batman, while at the same time she fell in love with him out of pity, and thus she ended up becoming his lackey.

In the present day, however, her "pudd'n" frequently ignores and abuses her physically and emotionally, and at one time when, to make the Joker love her back, she captures Batman and actually comes fairly close to killing him via tying him up and slowly lowering him into a tank of piranhas, the titular hero gives her a monologue of how the Joker's story is a lie and how he has "a million" of faux Freudian excuses (which brings the poor girl to tears), and that he would never believe that Harley could succeed in killing Batman (especially since the piranhas would only leave traces of bone and cloth which anyone could fake). Thus, she calls the Joker and to Batman's credit, he is furious over not getting to orchestrate the Dark Knight's death himself, and shoves Harley out the window–literally–before getting into a wild chase with Batman. The epilouge shows Harley, severely injured and placed in Arkham, renouncing her love for the Joker, until she sees some flowers and a "get well soon" card signed with a "J".

As seen here, Harley fell in love with the Joker due to pity, but received abuse in return. We don't know all that much about Thunderbolt, but with what we do have, we assume that she loves Dr. Eggman out of pure admiration and loyalty, but this relationship is even more one-sided than Harley's since Eggman just sees Thunderbolt as an expendable crony. It may seem adorable at first, but if you're comparing it to Harley Quinn herself, it just becomes sad.

Edited by BlueBlur62391

I see a significant difference between these two cases.

Harley has (almost) no physical superiority over the Joker. Thunderbolt, unlike Eggman, has a natural? superpower, that lightning thingy (though I'm not sure if it's truly natural or if that "tiara" she wears is what gives her powers), so, in a way, she has some kind of advantage in the case of a conflict with Robotnik. Sure, she's her "sidekick", but a really dangerous one...

Other than that, yeah, their relationships are quite similar, but the backstory of the Doctor and the Chinchilla sure is completely different from the Clown and her jester...

I see a significant difference between these two cases.

Harley has (almost) no physical superiority over the Joker. Thunderbolt, unlike Eggman, has a natural? superpower, that lightning thingy (though I'm not sure if it's truly natural or if that "tiara" she wears is what gives her powers), so, in a way, she has some kind of advantage in the case of a conflict with Robotnik. Sure, she's her "sidekick", but a really dangerous one...

Other than that, yeah, their relationships are quite similar, but the backstory of the Doctor and the Chinchilla sure is completely different from the Clown and her jester...

Eggman could just paralyze her for that, it does come from the cybernetics, and it's unlikely to happen since she's probably the only person in the world who admires him unconditionally. A lot. Plus, Eggy DOES reward loyalty.

As for your second point, yes, Thunderbolt isn't Eggman's right-hand woman. She probably fantasizes about it, though, evidenced by how she stuck her face onto a picture of Metal Sonic and Eggman. So maybe we can list her as Eggman's wannabe Harley Quinn, who wishes one day to rule by his side and torment every insubordinate non-Eggmanist pest on Mobius.

But then Eggman promotes Wendy to lackey instead and Soumerca is suddenly a giant smoking parking lot.

Thanks for the info about her powers, I wasn't sure where they came from.

So, basically, both girls are totally under the control of their "puddins", but that's where the similarities end.

Gotta say that recently, Harley Quinn is developing her own character aside from the Joker, (probably due to her increasing popularity), whereas Thunderbolt might find it hard to develop herself without Eggman's influence, as I see. But who knows...