Noodles The Echidna

Emulators!

6 posts in this topic

This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of videogame emulators. If you either know a lot about them or need help, this is the place to be.

Well, I guess I'll kick things off!

I use Dolphin 4.2 for Smash bros brawl hacks, namely testing compatibility with Project M.

I think it's called Super64 or so for the N64. Games included LoZ: OoT,  Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, and BattleTanx: Global Assault.

DeSuMe was for NDS games and by extension; GBA games. I played FE: Shadow Dragon, Mario Kart DS, and LoZ: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Not sure if I strayed from the subject here.

you are a bunch of pirates.

While I don't support the use of emulators myself (they do not replicate the feeling you have when playing them on a regular console), I use them when games are either way too expensive (Little Samson for the NES for example, which is easily over 500 dollars), Hacks (Primarily Sonic, Mega Man and Pokemon) or Japanese Exclusive games. Of my backlog (around 500 games excluding Steam), less than 5% of it has been emulated.

Recently however, I came across a site that may be of interest to you guys, called Retro Achievements. It's a neato site where you actually get achievements while playing games. It's also nice in the way that it can track your progress. The community on the site sucks pretty much, but I've been playing games that I've already played before on there and I'm not having a bad time. Definitely a recommendation if you're planning to be a pirate anyways. The site currently supports up to the SNES and Game Boy Advance, but the N64 and PS1 are in the works.

In case you're planning to use it, here's my profile on there:
http://retroachievements.org/user/Bokxie

Personally, I'm one of those who can't exactly afford a SNES or N64, or used to have them but broke, so I use them in place of my now defunct consoles.

Will definitely check out that site you mentioned though!

Growing up I had emulators for a lot of consoles: NES, SNES, Genesis/MD/SMS/GG, PS1, N64. My family was really poor when I was growing up so that was the only way I was able to play the games I love these days, like Sonic, Mega Man, and Mario. In fact, for a while the SNES emulator was the only way I could play any of the games we already owned on cartridge thanks to my cousin ejecting Yoshi's Island before turning off the SNES. It burnt the motherboard and caused the cartridge to do something weird where if you played it on another console it'd work once but then it'd stop working. We went through two NOaCs (Noac means Nintendo-on-a-chip) before we got another RetroDuo (which is an SNES/NES hybrid). I want to get another SNES at some point, but right now my attention is turned to the Wii U and my Dreamcast. But back to the topic at hand, I spent so many days playing Yoshi's Island on SNES9X.

I have a retroachievements as well, but I am pressed for time so later I will add my profile url.

I use Retroarch and EmuVR to emulate everything, including Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games.