Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog (Comic Series)

1395 posts in this topic

Now I'm just picturing an Off-Panel involving Sonic (in his Werehog form) and Tails discussing about this:

Sonic: "Hey Tails, you ever wonder what you'd look like in this kind of form?"

Tails: "Maybe once or twice, but..." (has a suddden flashback of Titan Tails)

Sonic: "Uhh... you okay, Tails?"

Tails: "...I don't ever want to think about it again."

3 people like this

That... is... beautiful!

Except that would mean seeing him again which most of us don't want

That is soo funny, but normal Tails suits me just fine...

Guess I'll be the first to talk about 260

I think this is probably the first issue in the reboot to really take things at a calmer pace. It's a real contrast to the high speed, all action Chase and that's actually what makes me like this. It takes more time introducing characters than dealing with the Dark Gaia problem (which obviously will play a part in this story). Speaking of the characters, I think they're actually quite interesting. With names like Coral and Razor, they're not creative by name, but I find them good additions to the cast. Of course like everyone else I'm surprised Razor's not a villain, but more a guy with a short fuse temper.

And then there's the focus on Chao, which this comic has been sorely lacking in. I'm not sure how big a part they'll play in this new saga, but I get the feeling they will. We also (finally) see Sonic being hugely scared of water, plus confirmation he was afraid of fighting Chaos, which is a nice touch if you ask me.

And then there's the art, which just fits like a glove for this comic. Jennifer Hernandez is a real catch and makes everything look adorable, even the demonic Chao!

Then we have the back up Light in the Dark, which has little room for opinion since it's so short except for saying Aleah Baker writes pretty well on the main comic as well as the off-panels. It a good start to Waves of Change and from I can see at the end things are going to get tenuous.

-I found it interesting that Pearly is scared of Chao. Wonder if Crusher has something to do with it- ironically Razor in horrible at "razing". (anybody saw how he stole ehm...thing from other chao?).

-I'm very found of new artist- I like how she draws Bunnie.

-Razor is nicer that I thought and thats OK- not every new male character must become Sonic's rival.

-I'm dont find new characters to be anything amazing yet, but its good to have fishes anyway- Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters arent characters that I going to miss that much

-During talk with Rotor, Sonic holding something green. Glowing bat? Is that a game thing I missed?

-That's odd but that mantis shrimp (Captain Striker) doesn't seem to be a villain either

-So, are Cream and big staying?

-My first though when Amy talked with Amy was "Bechdel test fail", but it was fixed by talk with Coral. Her confusion about Cream and Tails was amusing.

-Any thoughts about back-up story? I want to emphasize that this is first story of Aleah Baker - Flynn's wife and author of few last off-panels in SU. It seems OK, though Nicole is a little overpowered

I was wondering when we were gonna get 260. xD

I'll admit, I'm hoping that Chip appears somewhere in the storyline, *spoiler* being Light Gaia and all

Things seem to be paced a lot better than the chase arc. Which is nice (but I still want more action ;))

Razor is a surprise to me. When I first heard of him, I thought he would be a villain. Then when I found out he wasn't a villain I expected him to be... sort of how Knuckles used to be in not liking visitors. But reading the comic, he seems to be a lot nicer than how I expected him to be (okay, yes he nearly attacked Sonic but he had his reasons...). He seems like an interesting person. His chao pretty much sums up how I thought he would originally be. Perhaps that's what he was originally like and his time with Coral has calmed him a bit

Captain Striker... I don't know. Is he a villain? Or has he just misjudged the situation. I suspect the latter, but who knows. Maybe he's a rival to Razor or something

And Sonic is still afraid of water. Yeah of course. Makes sense

But overall, I enjoyed the issue. It was worth the short delay

Oh, some people may already know this, but Naugus' real name isn't Wally

It's Walter. Walter Naugus. Who hates being called Wally. Um... right

-I found it interesting that Pearly is scared of Chao. Wonder if Crusher has something to do with it- ironically Razor in horrible at "razing". (anybody saw how he stole ehm...thing from other chao?).

-I'm very found of new artist- I like how she draws Bunnie.

-Razor is nicer that I thought and thats OK- not every new male character must become Sonic's rival.

-I'm dont find new characters to be anything amazing yet, but its good to have fishes anyway- Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters arent characters that I going to miss that much

-During talk with Rotor, Sonic holding something green. Glowing bat? Is that a game thing I missed?

-That's odd but that mantis shrimp (Captain Striker) doesn't seem to be a villain either

-So, are Cream and big staying?

-My first though when Amy talked with Amy was "Bechdel test fail", but it was fixed by talk with Coral. Her confusion about Cream and Tails was amusing.

-Any thoughts about back-up story? I want to emphasize that this is first story of Aleah Baker - Flynn's wife and author of few last off-panels in SU. It seems OK, though Nicole is a little overpowered

Yeah, the artist that did the pencils is Jenifer Hernandez, or better known as Chibi-Jen_Hen on DeviantART. Here's a link to her dA: http://chibi-jen-hen.deviantart.com/

Just read Sonic the Hedgehog 260! Still so suspenseful! Can't wait for the next! I love Evan Stanley's work on the pencils in Light in the Dark. Has anyone read her comic on Deviantart 'Ghosts of the Future'? It is amazing!

Edited by SSJSilver

I like how Razor has a dark chao, but is a hero. It seems it has more to do with the attitude of the person raising the chao then their morality that makes them end up on the hero/neutral/dark alignment scale. It's a nice touch. The fact that they're delving into the creatures and rules of Sonic's world like this is something the series has sorely needed for a while.

I also like that they're sonic-izing a lot of animals you wouldn't expect to see in Sonic games. It's a world of anthropomorphic creatures, who says there can't be humanoid sharks and betta fish and manta rays and the like? (Maybe it'll lead to more creative fan characters in the future too. We can only hope.)

Also, there needs to be an off-panel of Sonic jumping over Razor. ;)

Guys, I just learned something from BumbleKing. MAJOR SPOILERS.

Sonic #264 will include the first part of a two-part story called "Control", written by regular writer Ian Flynn and pencilled by Boxer Hockey artist Tyson Hesse (who did the cover for #258, if you didn't know). Sonic, Amy, and Sally will venture into the rainforest looking for a Chaos Emerald, and end up having a friendly meet-up with Mighty and Ray. But no time for reunions, they're gonna have to take down some Egg Soldiers and regional Egg Boss Thunderbolt, who will push Sonic's temper to the

BREAKING POINT...

Along with another SEGA variant, this issue will include a backup called "A Nice Day to Start Again", written by Captain Ultimate (Monkeybrain Comics) writers Joey Esposito and Ben Bailey, and pencilled by veteran Sonic artist James Fry. This story will focus on how the global shattering crisis affects Antoine and Bunnie's relationship—and it's gonna be pretty Darn deep.

I'm so hyped up for this. It'll be a heck of an issue.

EDIT: Oh, and here's SSSM#12's cover.

Edited by BlueBlur62391

Well, as BlueBlur has pointed out above me, there are indeed new covers and solicits for Issue #264 - Control, Part 1 (spoilered due to image size):

3836785-sonicthehedgehog_264.jpg3836786-sonicthehedgehog_264var.jpg

A-WOOOOOOOOO! THE WAIT IS OVER! Prepare yourself for the terrifying debut of SONIC THE WEREHOG! “Control" Part One: Sonic, Amy and Sally venture deep into the rainforest in search of a Chaos Emerald. What they find are Mighty, Ray – and serious trouble! Will Egg Boss Thunderbolt push Sonic to the breaking point? Then, in “A Nice Day to Start Again,” Bunnie and Antoine experience the effects of the Shattered World Crisis in a very personal way! Featuring new cover art from PATRICK "SPAZ" SPAZIANTE and an "UNLEASHED" SEGA variant!

And if that wasn't enough, here's the cover and solicit for the Super Special Magazine Issue #12 (again, spoilered due to the image size):

3836782-sonicsuperspecial_12.jpg

Celebrate 25 years of the SEGA GENESIS with this extra-special anniversary edition of SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE! Take a look back at the SEGA system that started a revolution with this anniversary issue featuring the origins of such hit games as Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage and more—alongside awesome new pin-up art from the Archie team! Also featured is a special look at the all-new SONIC BOOM games and TV show, with exclusive info you won’t find anywhere else! The SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE gives you the world of Sonic the Hedgehog comics as you've never seen it before, with tons of comic stories, special features and exclusive articles on the latest and greatest in the world of everyone's favorite blue hedgehog-hero! Plus an interview with Sonic inker supreme Terry Austin and an all-new foil-enhanced cover from the incomparable BEN BATES!

Well, it's about time! I'm definately looking forward to the Werehog's debut, especially since Mighty and Ray are involved too! (Maybe there could be a 'Mighty vs. Werehog fight scene in this arc...?) I'm interested in learning a little bit about this 'Thunderbolt' character. Also note that it's only a two-parter, and it has a backup story like with 'Waves of Change', so it's gonna be significantly shorter than the current arcs. Speaking of backups, Antoine and Bunnie having a personal problem during thie crisis? This definately has me intrigued. Oh, and the SSM having a little inside info on 'Sonic Boom'. I'm down for that too, I guess. What are your thoughts, guys?

Werehog? Yes! Yes! YES!!! The moment I've been waiting for! Oh I'm really excited for this. Very exciting. I'm going to be really impatient for this now

And Mighty's back too! Music to my ears. Should be exciting to see him

The part where Werehog, Mighty and Ray are used in the same solicit made me giddy over the prospect of one ultimate brawl out between them. It looks like a very short arc, but one that will be completely epic to read.

Finally Mighty and Ray! Also main cover is totally badass. Makes me wish I had a real thing in my hands.

OH MY GOSH WEREHOG WEREHOG WEREHOG! SO EXCITED NOW! AAAGGGHHH! Shame I can't get the actual comics. I wish I was holding it too!

Rather late but... *shrugs*

Mighty and Ray... Werehog... Mighty and Ray... Werehog....

Nothing can contain the excitement I am feeling right now. Totally excited for this.

So that's 261 read... and...

TBH, not much I can really say. Most it it was arguing with the stuck-up royals, and that's always been an irritating plot to me.

curiously, remember Akhult, the legionized Killer Whale? Well, now there seems to be an AkhLUt around.

Meh. I have to admit, I was disappointed. All talk, no fight. *Sighs* At least the next one looks exciting

And Skye? Um... Akhlut was the name of the whale beforehand too (see first issue of Scrambled for evidence). So it's not a new character nor has his name changed

Looks like the Sonic encyclopedia has a misprint then! ;-p whoops

So after reading Issue #261, my thoughts are...

...kinda mixed. On the one hand, we do get to see the city of Meropis itself, as well as some more backstory for Coral and the city, which I liked. But then we meet the King and Queen themselves. Others have said this before, but now we have a new jerk King to replace King Acorn, and the Queen is almost as bad. To put it simply:

[media=]

The fact that they don't even believe Sonic's story, even though they've dealt with Eggman's forces before via Ahklut (though it's nice to know he's still around) immediately makes me dislike them, and Captain Striker to a lesser extent. Of course, they may also be under the influence of Dark Gaia (just like the citizens are implied to be) and they might change after the Unleashed arc is over. But for now... yeah, I don't like them. Aside from that, there wasn't much that stood out to me. The backup story was... there, I guess. Really, the only part of that story which I found to be important was the Chaos Emerald. Overall, not one of my favourites.

Yeah, Encyclopedia is riddled with mistakes like that. Most famous is in Rotor's entry where it states that "he donned his nanite" and that's where it ends.

-Again with lying covers. Sight. I mean maybe they'll fight next issue but still. KInd funny how neither shark nor shrimp turned out to be bad guys after all.

-Quennie visits the same barber as Jet. Cant unsee it.

-Striker like Stryker from before the reboot? Puff the pufferfish and Agelica the aglefish? Not the most inspired.

-Can't be a king without goofy stache. Being fish is no excuse.

-There is princess, too? I know we need many new characters, but must they all be fishes?

-Then again Akhlut needs enemies. Hope he shows up soon.

-I thought Quartz level was on Little Planet.

-It interesting how Baker writes Nicole. She's much more formal, and shows more of her emotions in Lynx form. Very interesting. Maybe she finaly gets some focus.

-Was that another E-series bot on last page?

I'll give an answer to that last one. Yes, I think it was

Well, this was...

not a particularly memorable issue. Oh sure it explored more of the water world and the people living there, but it always gave me that irritating reminder of what the Council of Acorn were once like. The royals seem like total jerks (Nega probably put it into better words though :P ) but hopefully it's just the Dark Gaia influence talking and Chaos can hopefully clean up the "murkier" waters.

Great artwork as always, but the colours aren't my favourite. The back up was fine. I think MetalSkulk is right about Baker's Nicole. I kinda like how she's all logical and somewhat cold, but turns into a more emotional self when a lynx.

However this was a bit of a less then brilliant issue. Luckily it looks like things are going to kick off in the second half, so it could get better soon enough.