Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog (Comic Series)

1395 posts in this topic

News flash. Sonic #256 is delayed by a week.

(Aw, and here I was hoping that I could read it before the holiday was over. Oh well...) Was there any specific reason, or is it just a standard delay?

Could be because of holiday breaks for employees, or something relating to it.

EDIT: Also, isn't it typical the final part in a highly important story arc is delayed :P

Edited by HyperMetal50

Well, I think I can wait just four more days...or maybe I could buy a time machine.

Well, we know about half the things that are gonna happen in the issue.

Edited by BlueBlur62391

Bad news... neither 256 or the next mega comic are out next week... :(

Well, we'll see if it's there on Wednesday, then we'll get back to you on the next delay.

I don't think it's that bad. If so, when is the next issue coming out? January 15?

And even if it is delayed, the digital release is sometimes earlier than the retail one.

Edited by BlueBlur62391

Boy they sure uploaded 256 pretty quick! What a finale! I'll tell of my thoughts a little later, but I can tell you, this is certainly one of the best issues I've read.

I read the preview pages, spoilers and saw the spoiler pics, and wow I can't wait to get the comic hopefully on the 15th! :D

Actually you could read it on this site right now if you wanted.

Wow... That. Was. AWESOME! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Here's my thoughts:

I liked how it began right where Universe #58 left off, and seeing Amy and Sally take the spotlight for the first few pages was cool. Bean and Bark still being 'goons for hire' was a decently funny way for them to leave the issue, and Sonic vs. Metal is always nice to see. (Especially since Metal still has his voice! I'm so glad they kept that.) As for both Sal and Amy getting their memories back... well, it does kinda seem like a cop-out to me, especially since (as I expected) Amy's flashbacks didn't have much impact on her at all. Sally's, on the other hand... I think it's safe to say she was VERY distraught after that. And finally, with both NICOLE and Eggman realising what really happened after the crossover is both interesting and scary. I mean, think about it: all of the multiverse basically imploded and recreated itself, leaving all the excess energy in Sonic's World! On the one hand, that's whats causing the world to tear itself apart. But look into it a little closer and... could this mean that a majority (if not all) alternate universes and timelines aside from the Sol Zone/Dimension have been erased? (I'm probably looking too far into this... again.)

That's just my thoughts. What about you guys?

I'm... not sure I could call it awesome overall. Great fun, don't get me wrong, but the issue seemed just a tad short on the awesomeness....

...mainly because it was all buildup for the end moneyshot! That bit was awesome! :P

Gotta admit, I did also like Amy and Sally snarking about the whole 'sonic rushes in at the last minute to save the day' thing, only for it to be amusingly subverted on the next page.

And, Sally keeps the wrist blades... Hmm, I wonder if that was a plan for after her de-robotization before the reboot was necessary.

What a way to end an arc.

Bean and Bark's getaway, funny (good to know they weren't getting soft on us.) I also love how the end wasn't all sunshine.

And here are my thoughts.

This was one of most pleasing finales I've seen in a while! Excluding the crossover anyway. I liked how PPP was well integrated into the story and how Sally instantly got into the story. Also those blade are jus too cool! As much as I wanted Bean and Bark to do more, I guess their current professions are just too appealing to them. Yardley's artwork as usual was a treat to see, but there were some off panels, but I just don't care. The battle with Metal Sonic was more awesome than their usual battles with him and his last words had some foreshadowing to them (possible reference to future story perhaps?) Of course seeing Sally at last was the what really got me happy to read this. After more then two years, she's back and better ten ever. Pus the Sky Patrol taking off t last made me more excited for what it can do. Also, a Bumbleking member very interestingly pointed out how tis multiverse thin seems to be Sonics Crisis on Infinite Earths. I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of chaos control for this. In its entirety, this is one of the best issues I've seen and one I'm definitely going to reread a few times.

Edited by HyperMetal50

Okay its official. Sally has had a major upgrade. Her looks, her skills have totally changed!! It is just amazing!! Man I can't wait to see what comes next.

Just realised we should be on the look out for any issue 260 and Sonic Universe issue 63. They usually appear this time of month.

Hey guys! Here are the covers (spoilered due to new character reveal) and solicitation for Issue #260, and you'll wanna be wearing something water-proof:

sonic260.jpgsonic260var.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #260

Journey under the sea with Sonic the Hedgehog in the first chapter of an EPIC new SAGA! “Waves of Change”: Part One – What could be worse than a world shattered to pieces? How about dark monsters rising from the abyss?! While Sonic and the Freedom Fighters race to find the Chaos Emeralds and Gaia Temples, Sonic ends up discovering a whole new world of adventure deep beneath the waves! But will those he encounters prove to be friend or foe? Then, in “Light in the Dark: Part one”, Sally, Nicole, Tails and Antoine venture into the Eggman’s latest grab for power to retrieve a desperately-needed Chaos Emerald! Featuring all-new cover art from superstar Ben Bates and a special variant cover from Sonic artist Evan Stanley!

This, along with the recent Universe arc reveal, pretty much confirms that a 'Sonic Unleashed' adaptation/sequel is beginning. What are your thoughts, guys?

Well, they seem to be trying to move this adaption in new directions rather than a straight up 'comic of the game' so it might be good.

Well, if they were aiming for this Unleashed adaption to be a massive surprise, I'm afraid they have already failed at that. But this arc looks good. I wouldn't be surprised if this Mobian shark turns out to be an Egg Boss or something. The two things I really like about this issue, is 1: We're now returning to two stories in one issue again and 2: Aleah Baker and Jennifer Hernandez are going to do a story together. Overall this New 252, come Crisis On Infinite Zones reboot hasn't made me lose any faith in the comic. Just as an after thought, but has anyone noticed they're really throwing out new characters recently? I mean Universe gave us Captain Metal and Eclipse at the moment and the main comic's been showing us new Egg Bosses and this new shark dude. It appears they're working hard to fill that hole in the cast that Penders caused.

It's a big hole to fill. Though, they do seem to be focusing on the villains at the moment

Two stories too. I like the sound of that. I guess as long as they aren't too short, I'm happy with that

If there was any doubt about the werehog returning. It's gone now thanks to the variant cover. So exciting

Hang on a second, going back to 256...

So Nicole say's the multi-verse has collapsed. Now it's obvious why they did it. But... the multi-verse also includes the Sonic X universe (pre-final season) and the Mega Man universe. So... uh...the hell?

But back to the previous topic, they definitely are trying to fill their roster back up. It's got some big gaps to fill now unfortunately.

Actually, the Mega Man comic is in another multiverse, entirely seperate from Sonic's multiverse. The only link the two worlds ever had was through the Skull Egg Zone, which obviously no longer exists after the Super Chaos Control(s) were performed by Super Sonic and Super Mega Man in the end of the crossover.

Can I ask why NICOLE in StH 252 and the Countdown to Chaos Saga remembers every event before the Genesiswave and the Crossover began?

Since the anwser is "the same reason everybody else (except For Sonic, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot)", I'm assuming the question is " Why Nicole can bring back memories from previous world".

Anwser: Plot convience. Like Derobotzing Mega Man. In-Universe explanation....Nicole somehow absorbed Genesis Wave energy....casuse she's advanced computer......perhaps something about touching Naugus who was especially affected by previous Wave...and that's I can think of.

Also just cause "multiverse collapsed on itself" doesnt mean that other dimensions are gone. Blaze World is still fine and I'm assuming same thing with Special Zone so... I'm asuming Eggman meant that every dimension was reeboted unlike the last time when Genesis Wave only changed Dimension Prime.

...I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet. But I feel I need to get this out of the way...

I just... I can't help but find it funny how they recreate the world of Mobius, it's history and everything, ...then immediately drop the apocalypse on it. ...I can just see Mr. Flynn writing these stories for these past few months, still a little P*ssed at the whole Penders fiasco, and then just going into an outburst, then before he has the chance to try again another guy comes in and sees it and gives a thumbs up, so there's nothing else he could do but edit his rage-induced draft into a storyline. That's what Countdown to Chaos after this last issue felt to me. It felt like Flynn was just so P*ssed but tried to keep himself calm for months, then having a fit and couldn't correct it in time. This was suppose to be a new beginning, but this latest one shows that this arc is ...an intentional train-wreck, plain and simple. Like an intentional train-wreck, it's definitely tragic, and sad, especially if there's people involved in it. But at the same time, the man in the locomotive made it a point to make it the most awe-struck train wreck imaginable, making the train go off in such a manner that you just can't look away. Another way of looking at it: A Sand castle, or a thing of dominoes: A beautiful piece that's just made to be destroyed.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Actually, I'm a bit of a fan of the apocalyptic scenario. I just find it laughably odd how they make the effort of reconstructing the world and redesigning the people in it, just to blow it all up.

On to the story itself. I believe I never even mentioned how I felt with the arc as a whole so here it is: Countdown to Chaos, and previous Issue before it, I think was actually pretty good. Like others I'm certainly disappointed with their elimination of Elias, Geoffrey, the Echidna race and what have you. However, I gave this a chance regardless, and it did not disappoint. It showed that Eggman was still packed with minions, who aren't legionnaires but apparently still had a way of being forced to kneel to Eggman, possibly by Robotcizer (That you just KNOW he'll use at the first chance he'll get.) and it showed that he was a force to be reckoned with still. (I rocked it out with E.G.G.M.A.N. when he was attacking the GUN soldiers.)

Meanwhile, I liked the re-designs of everyone. Even Max and Sally. ...Even if Max, quite frankly, looks lie he's related to Mickey Mouse, ...and is apparently an immortal given as to how young he looks compared to Sally...His Daughter...(I swear if they made two actually husband and wife instead of father and daughter...*Looks at Elise and Sonic* ...It wouldn't surprise me.) Although, Antoine...Well, while I like the badass look he got going for him...I feel like Archie may have taken the opinions of his fans a little too seriously. Nothing really wrong with the "Medieval Rambo" look he's got going, I do like it. But I always considered Antoine's badassery to be subtle. It was his courage combined with his skill as a soldier that made him badass in my mind; courage as in "willing to fight despite fear", not "to be without fear". Because of this Antoine is the only remake that just...rubs me the wrong way. However, despite this feeling of discomfort, I do like Antoine as he is now. ...May not as much as the original, but it's definite. As for Muttski, ...Well, yeah, it was inevitable for him to become a Mobian. But I like him this way, he seems like a relatively likable and fun character... So how much does anybody want to bet this apocalypse will off him too?

I do actually also like the quest Sonic, Tails, and Nicole have been going through, and honestly, I thought something was going to happen at the end to screw over Amy and Sally's memory retrieval. What a pleasant surprise to find that that didn't happen. ...Anybody notice that they missed Cream and Cheese, actually? ...Oh well, not like a lot really happened to those two, and it's probably best the little girl doesn't lobotomized by another world of memories anyways. On another note, I also like Nicole's new design. It looks more fitting for an AI like her.

I have no comment on the Multi-versal techno-babble at the end of 256. But I do understand it. For those who are confused about it: Long Story Short: Eggman screwed everything up, and when everything repaired itself, remade itself, the energies made Mobius Prime into a bomb, that just went off at the end. Also, on that note, yes, I do believe that ONLY Mobius Prime is effected. The theory is that every dimension was recreated and rebooted after Eggman's interruption caused a proverbial BSoD. Since all the energy of this is on Mobius Prime, It's only that world that's going off.

Now based on what I've seen, I think other dimensions and timelines should be somewhat effected, damaged, or worst case scenario, destroyed by the shockwave that an excess energy mass of the amount Eggman suggests would most certainly create, since it was energy created by screwing over the space-time continuum and the fabric of reality itself. ...But I expect that wouldn't cross Ian's mind. ^_^

Overall, I liked this arc, and given an open mind to it, I like this remake, I like this possible new Mobius with a new history, and maybe even a new mythology. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this new world in the future. ...Assuming Ian doesn't blow it to kingdom come.

8/10

Red quote of the Month: (Or "My favorite quote. Calling it Red for Many reasons)

"We came out fine, so we dodged quite the metaphorical bullet!"

"Only to jump in front of a metaphorical cannon!"

What do you mean "missed Cream and Cheese"? She not a Freedom Fighter. Big also didnt get memories back, and Sonic said that if its possible Uncle Chuck would be next.

Also: Why are all Sonic fans that ridiculously cynical? Sally wasnt gonna stay robot forever. Antoine wasnt going to die. Saffron or Julie-Su werent going to be killed off in oder to make comics closer to games. Sally wasnt lobotized or cut to pieces just cause Eggman upgraded her.

And now: Mobius/Earth/Sonic's World/whatever not gonna die and more importantly Muttski not gonna die. Does Flynn really strikes you as hack writer that kiles children for drama? Really?