sweet_lil_Eliza

Undertale

38 posts in this topic

I can't believe there's no discussion of this fantastic game, so being the nerd I am, with duties, I SHALL MAKE A TOPIC ON THIS!

Spoilers will be hidden where necessary :3 Also, don't try to see them please, the game is too good. 

So, without further ado, let's introduce the game a little to everyone!

UNDERTALE is an indie RPG designed by Toby Fox, the guy who formerly was famous for his music (from homestuck and stuff), but, with UNDERTALE, showed how fantastically a game can be programmed. 

UNDERTALE is about how a child interacts with monsters when they fall down a mountain rumored to have no survivors when climbed. It is seen that the monsters used to live with humans, but were later defeated by them in a war and sealed underground. Thus, the entire journey is through various areas in the underground, with distinct differences.

In terms of gameplay, we are given two options: To FIGHT and kill the character we encounter or to interact with them, the latter having many options which can be fun, mean or even heartbreaking. There's an option of MERCY, which allows us to SPARE the enemy or FLEE. Sparing is only possible if we ACT in a manner which allows us to, as for FLEE, well it's just running away, but...you'll need it sometime ;)

Further in the gameplay, it is a bullet hell, but there are battles where it turns into a shooter, like one of those tile games we played as a kid and...cooking simulator! The game is comparbly easy, with only 4 bosses being labeled as hard [First boss doesnt even hits you if your HP is low lmao].

The game is charming and unique on how it introduces it's character, and how literally every name in the game is a pun [for example, Flowey, and Toriel- the first sane character we meet, who is pun on tutorial]. We don't FIGHT the monsters, we encounter them, and the game gives us a clear choice in what we want to do, kill them, spare them, or be mean to them [but spare them]. The game has many endings depending on how you play, with three main distinctions- Pacifist (not kill anyone), Neutral (kill some monsters), No Mercy/Genocide (kill everyone), with the neutral run having around 10 or so possible endings, things change everytime we play the game which gives the game a high amount of replaybility.

However, the most amazing part of the entire game is how it breaks the fourth wall, I'll just give you all one example, if you reload your save file to do something different, certain characters will remember what happened.

For instance, Flowey, the first character we meet, who is shooed away by Toriel, mocks us and our power to SAVE and play as a God if we kill Toriel in her boss fight and reload to spare her 

The story of the game is fantastic, and probably the best story one could make for the game the way it is, and we see the same stories in many outlooks in the way we play it. You SAVE via your determination, because...that's what gets things done, right?

There's a demo of the game available, too, at www.undertale.com

[I posted a year or so ago on how playing the demo controlled my depression, and the game is well...far better].  [here's my comment about it]

In short, the PROS of the game: 

> You've got the key, you can make the game happy or scary, so change it how you want!

> Lovely character with puns and jokes...and more puns!

> The music is way too good. 

> Fun gameplay which can be turned easy if you lose enough time. 

> Moderate puzzles which too, will be turned easy if you lose enough times.

> Dogs, many kawaii, annoying dogs.

> Yes, there is ice cream.

> Too many anime references to be ignored. 

> The excellent use of words MERCY, DETERMINATION and well... MURDER 

> Try naming the character AAAAA, I dare you. 

> Amazing replaybility, with many endings.

> It's cheaper than a large pizza.

CONS: 

> It has a comparably shorter gameplay. 

> The game is too smart for you (unless you go in with spoilers, IT WILL STILL BE SMARTER LMAO)

> There will not be enough hints for some stuff, but it's still fun to play.

Also, you might want to keep the items you get during the first part of game. 

So yeah, tell me what you think of it, and for fellow players, is there something I missed!? 

Edited by sweet_lil_Eliza
comment

I REALLY want to buy this game. All my knowledge so far is from Markiplier's youtube videos so I don't know much about it... I know SOME of the things but I am not familiar with possible theories, endings or the full story... I've seen as far as to where you first meet Sans and Papyrus.

I've been told not to watch anything on it until after you play. For it doth ruin the surprises in it (Which is why I haven't watched anything on it despite how interesting it sounds and being played by someone I watch)

^This message was from an expert on the game btw ;)

I must admit that I've... watched an important fight against an important character on accident, while I have not played the game yet. Think the gamers who have played Undertale know what fight I'm talking about, but if not: Megalovania is a great battle theme. That's all :3

Really interested in this game though. It does get a ton of attention on the internet, so I'll probably check it out soon.

I'm salty 'cuz I spent all my Steam money.

I hate my life. D':

1 person likes this

I'm salty 'cuz I spent all my Steam money.

I hate my life. D':

Don't hate. Just cry and pray for more money.

*prays for money*

*hands are empty*

*cries in palms* D''''''''''':

I know.. I want to buy the game so badly... For Sans.. Toriel.. Papyrus and little Frisk and all the others.. I'd play the pacifist route. (cause there is no way I could kill those cute monster creatures!!! They've done nothing!!!)

I know.. I want to buy the game so badly... For Sans.. Toriel.. Papyrus and little Frisk and all the others.. I'd play the pacifist route. (cause there is no way I could kill those cute monster creatures!!! They've done nothing!!!)

BRUH SAME

1 person likes this

and have you seen how sassy Papyrus is in the game?? BEAUTIFUL! and well made game with a deep meaning... Especially for such a short game too.

"I'm a skeleton with standards!"

"I can make spaghetti."

"Darn it! You're meeting all my standards!"

Already playing the game :D it is AWESOME!

I'm playing Genocide Run first so that I can get all of my heartbreak out of the way first.

Undyne is hard, man.

I'm playing Pacifist... Still died xD 7 times

SO APPARENTLY I TAINTED MY GAME FILES BY PLAYING GENOCIDE RUN FIRST

I won't spoil it for you, though. :P

Man.. That randomly appearing dog is so weird o_o and why does Sans sell weird hotdogs that do odd stuff? Oh god the Pacifist run ;____; tears!!!!!

Edited by Shinomi-chan

Question is, why aren't YOU selling hot dogs that do odd things!?

Edited by The Persepolis Effect
1 person likes this

Gasp* You're right! My whole life is a lie! D: but really I can NOT play Genocide.. I can't hurt poor Cinnamon roll Papy!!!

^This message was from an expert on the game btw ;)

AHHHH THANKS HAHAHAHAH :DDD

But nah really, I've noticed Undertale got SUPER famous, which is nice c:  

MEGALOVANIA's boss is LOVE(pun intended)

ALSO, in case anyone wants the game, Toby's a friend of a friend, and I got gifted a humble bundle copy with unlimited download capacity, so I can gift it to trusted sources :) Please don't be shy! 

Also friends, would be nice to avoid spoilers!~

Oh! Wanted to say that I and a few friends are doing an Undertale fan musical called Undersong (I'm just a mere artist), if anyone likes the game, do check it out~

1 person likes this

Welp I'm going to hell since I started the Genocide mode.. I also made a fanfic which I posted here. (about the Genocide mode even) and that's pretty cool Eliza!

Eliza forced me to play Undertale! Well, actually she didn't but whatever, so I did!

I'm nearing the end of the pacifist run and that final boss is freaking insane o_o

Talking about Omega Flowey obviously. Asgare was pretty easy to be honest.

Oh you Shadow.. (I died 7 -8 times fighting that thing until I realized it had a pattern to everything... and how to avoid them) Good luck with it. Also.. You should keep playing on Pacifist for more goodies :D

Oh you Shadow.. (I died 7 -8 times fighting that thing until I realized it had a pattern to everything... and how to avoid them) Good luck with it. Also.. You should keep playing on Pacifist for more goodies :D

Asgore was a piece of cake, almost didn't have to use any healing items :). Omega Flowey was a bit more difficult, but got his pattern down pretty quick and then he went down without any trouble. I've also finished the True Pacifist path, and that final boss was really, REALLY fun! Too bad he was pretty easy though, got him on my first try :3.

Currently doing the Genocide run, and I must admit that even I feel bad for killing the monsters. Eh, was bound to happen once :3.

Edited by Shadow
1 person likes this

N-No... H-Healing...? o_o (feels like a noob which she is) Excuse me while I go cry...

So yeah, I'm almost finished with the Genocide.. I played the Pacifist like 3 times till I wanted to try something new, messed up and had to start Genocide.. Good luck with it. :D