BlurryDawgo

Ken Penders Topic...

649 posts in this topic

A rather disturbing adult magazine...

Someone needs to create eye wash for anyone who bravely looks at that... thing. I mean, can this really count as art!?

Deleted

Edited by Survivor

Right... trying to ignore the scary almost nude character on the front and look at the rest

I think he photoshopped a real waterfall image onto the book cover too. That is LAZY

Someone needs to create eye wash for anyone who bravely looks at that... thing. I mean, can this really count as art!?

Will brain bleach do instead? :P

1 person likes this

You know, one day Penders will actually release a full book of pictures like these. And the the seeing shall envy blind.

Deleted

Edited by Survivor

I think he photoshopped a real waterfall image onto the book cover too. That is LAZY

Not the first time real images have been photoshopped in... At least, I think that was done under his direction...

Still, they could at least make it less obvious. There are blue lines around it and it looks rushed

Maybe the idea was that the cover was so horrific no one would want to look at it so the rush job wouldn't be noticed!

That's possible. To be honest it feels like anything is possible now with Penders

I'm tempted to suggest that the name "Shattered Tomorrow" for his comic here is him just using "Shattered Crystal" from Sonic Boom to come up with a name. Probably going too far but that's how it feels right now

If I'm not mistaken, Ken ripped off the title of this from one of his own fans. Not even bothering to give him the credit. Which means we have another member added to the "people that got screwed over by Penders club."

Edited by HyperMetal50

I met the guy a few times during a few conventions. In fact, I bought my first Sonic comic from him (Issue #157).

He didn't seem too bad to me at first, so I have several items signed by him from all the times I came across him, one of which is a free print I got for buying another comic, which was for his failed comic "The Lost Ones", which I recall him pushing the plot pretty enthusiastically.

But I have to say, the funniest thing I have to add about him is this:

hg_zps6c99f605.png

He sold me this comic at one of his tables, then signed it. Being that at the time, the Archie booth had issues that were about a couple years newer than this one, and it's a Milestone Issue that I needed, then I bought it with no thought, as I was on a collecting spree at the convention, and I had missed out on getting this one before, and had the issues set before and after it.

Seems harmless enough...

Except I found out shortly after that he was off the staff at least 15 issues before this one. And Ian Flynn was the writer of this.

He sold me a comic that he had nothing to do with, and wrote on it.

The subtitle on the cover ("The Unthinkable Happens") just makes this seem even funnier than it is.

What on earth seriously, signing and selling an issue he completely had nothing to do with. I wonder if Ian has even heard of this, I'd be ticked if someone sold my products you know.

Oh word that image Penders made is horrible, he really needs to take art classes. I'm only an art student in college and I can see all the mistakes on it, bad coloring choices.

I swear I tried to comment on this five times on my iPod, and it kept crashing. I guess even my device can't handle the absurdity of Penders. XD

His main problem is that he tries too hard to shoehorn human anatomy into something not human.

Here's an example I scribbled up just now that would have been less terrifying than what that render is:

ls_zps706d47ac.png

(With disclaimer, since he seems to throw a fit when people don't credit his creations...)

I used a color pallet from the 3D render, but I feel that maybe this might work with a few tweaks... I also tried to keep the render's outfit, since I don't do well at designing new outfits on the spot. But the form fitting aspect might be a good concept, as it leaves less to be caught on something by accident in combat. I don't want to rip off the outfit that she was sporting before her erasure from the Sonic Archie canon, either...

Shortening the torso and legs, thickening the limbs, make the feet a bit more like they can actually support the body (also lose the high heels on the shoes, since I can't see anyone being able to walk with those things with the jobs Lien-Da has). Also, maybe give the fingers a bit of a claw-like look, as actual echidnas have those, and I think he should be trying to drop some of the original connections to Knuckles. The nose can be better done as a snout that is closer to an actual echidna than a Sonic-Echidna.

Lose the lipstick. There's no need for that. A female doesn't always need to have make up on her to show she's a chick. Keep the eye shadow, maybe... that's not too bad of an idea. Fix the body: Don't put too much emphasis on the chest and "slender form". Girls come in all shapes and sizes, and being stocky is just fine. Given that she's a solider, she's bound to have built up a bit of bulk from fighting, so she should look as though she's got a bit of muscle from the exercise.

Maybe, now that I have an afterthought, give a few visible scars to show that she's a seasoned fighter, as I'm sure she's gotten a few over the years.

Now, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I at least have an eye for color pallets and have a basic idea of "You don't make terrifying noodle monsters with teeth unless you intend to make terrifying noodle monsters with teeth"

1 person likes this

That Lien Da picture you did is already 10... no. 100 times better than that horrible monster Pendersman did. I don't even want him to try and make them look more human. How they were was fine for... like everyone

I think the reboot is both a good and bad thing. The good thing about it, is that it's good for new readers to not worry about continuity that much, and it was a badly written mess before this point anyways, so it's better to start at the beginning. The bad thing about it is that it's all caused by some writer who just doesn't want to let these characters out of his hands. (Ken Penders if you're reading this, you better make good use of these characters and well, USE THEM, otherwise what the hey was the point?) Though who knows what would happen if Archie would get these characters back? Personally, I would like to see a new TV show (I know, Sonic Boom isn't out yet, but that show is in a different universe) based on the comics, and retell a lot of the character arcs so they aren't horribly written, and have better continuity.

Edited by rbykitsune

I think the reboot is both a good and bad thing. The good thing about it, is that it's good for new readers to not worry about continuity that much, and it was a badly written mess before this point anyways, so it's better to start at the beginning. The bad thing about it is that it's all caused by some writer who just doesn't want to let these characters out of his hands. (Ken Penders if you're reading this, you better make good use of these characters and well, USE THEM, otherwise what the hey was the point?) Though who knows what would happen if Archie would get these characters back? Personally, I would like to see a new TV show (I know, Sonic Boom isn't out yet, but that show is in a different universe) based on the comics, and retell a lot of the character arcs so they aren't horribly written, and have better continuity.

Your dreaming Sega would never uses any of this characters for whatever reason, they said they don`t want their characters to age, fall in love, have family's (Sorry Uncle chunk), and have any other feeling pass happy, worried, and being an A**hole because as of now sonic has been a real ass to everybody including his friends.

Same for me Merc. I began reading a year and a half ago, read everything, then 'whoosh' many awesome characters disappeared...all we can do is wait at the moment and see what Ian has in mind towards the comics. He said that he was going to release some of his pre-reboot ideas regarding the comic plot to his website and many fans are planning to make fan continuation from those ideas...hopefully everything settles more.

We'll have to wait into the the lawsuit other blows over or some of the pre-super genesis wave characters are allow to exist or unto Sega back off a little on the whole mandate things.

Sorry to necro this thread, but the whole Ken Penders thing is why I started looking into the comics again. I collected and avidly read the first 100 comics from the very start before my interests went elsewhere. It's bittersweet knowing that the comic I loved as a kid is getting a total facelift but several of my favorites will never be able to return. I guess I'll have to be satisfied believing that Hershey and Geoffery are still out there somewhere post-wave, adventuring together as a kick butt husband and wife team.

Since the events of the Penders lawsuit I have found myself decieved. I believe that Penders started the lawsuit as revenge but I couldn't have been more wrong. The reality is that Penders was fired for asking for royaltys regarding his characters. So he declared copyright ownership of them to try to force the hand of Archie to pay him and credit him for his creations. Archie didn't like that and filed the lawsuit against HIM. That suit lasted quite some time until Archie fired their entire legal team and hired a new one which resulted in a settlement out of court. From what I learned the terms were that all Echidna charcters were removed from the series for Penders to use while Archie were permitted to use the rest without need to pay royaltys for them.

So that means Archie still had the right to use Geoffrey, Elias, Bernie, Jules, Fiona and the rest. Yet they haven't and instead reset the world removing them completely! And why did they do that? One reason Sega! Sega demanded the world be reset and all tracies of Penders work be erased otherwise they would withdraw Archie's right to use Sonic and friends, effectivly ending the comic altogether. I bet you wish to know why that is. Simple because Penders filed a suit against Sega and EA games over Dark Cronicles. While the case was throw out of court then reinstated and thrown out again that wasn't the end of it. The case was reviewed in 2013 where a final ruling was made agreeing that the case should have been thrown out. But now it means a sequel or the appearance of any of the dark brotherhood in any future games will grant Penders the right to file another lawsuit meaning Sega can not create the sequel they were planning.

So that means Sega is to blame not Penders. And now I find myself conflicted on ehat to do. I still love the Sonic universe and want to continue to follow and support it but I don't want a part in lining the pockets of the worst scum on the planet. That mean Geoffrey St John is at a loss.

Wow o_o Since when did this all became so complicated...? First there was that on innocent start for a comic book... And now there's all the problems with the franchise and all... Why can't things just stay as they were? As simple and innocent like how I remember Sonic comics before all this arguing and lawsuits! It just makes things more difficult and in the end it does nothing more than ruin the entire series and stomp on everything we knew and loved and spits on it..