BlurryDawgo

Ken Penders Topic...

649 posts in this topic

Taking bets, people: How many books will he be able to release, before the whole thing will inevitably fail?

I am not lying, I will check out the first one if I get the chance to.

I'm betting people will look at it just to see how bad it is and complain about it. Which is what I was going to do before this. So, it will be a while before it falls

Like the others said, I think almost everyone who buys it will just be wanting to find out if it's bad, or catastrophically terrible. Anyone who still has hope that this will be good, or even thinks this alien talk is a good thing is either in denial, or has highly unique tastes.

Is it going to be a book, a movie, animation? As far as I know, Penders hasn't been clear about the format of his upcoming "smashing hit".

Considering these are comic based characters I'm going to guess this is going to be in comic format

I'll be frank with you.

I'll buy the digital version of the book. And I'll send it to everyone here.

1 person likes this

I heard it going to be graphic novel. So a comic, but in the bigger amount, less frequently published and Penders gets his kicks out of claiming he's not some mere comic book writer.

EDIT: More of Penders hilarious studity: attemps to reasonably explain changing echidnas into aliens:

Lara-Su is not an echidna nor an animal, but an alien,” Penders said in response to a follower’s question. “She is a member of the Echyd’nya species. There are 2 reasons why. 1) I needed to make some adjustments to broaden the audience while making certain longtime fans get answers and resolution. 2) there are plenty of real world examples where English speaking people referred to places that natives referred to with a different name in their own tongue. Same thing here. I was especially motivated to make the change based on the difficulty I’ve seen people have pronouncing the word “echidna”

I underlined the funniest/dumbest parts. Anybody think that the changes were done so he could make references to Sawnik the Heeg’Huog or Sahli Ak’horn?

Edited by MetalSkulkBane_PL
1 person likes this

I'm starting to think this lawsuit has taken its toll on Penders mentally...

1: Broaden the audience? I'm pretty sure he won't be getting many newcomers to his graphic novel. People would have had to read the Archie comics to understand who some of these people are. Certainly Knuckles' relatives

2: People have problems pronouncing echidna? Are you joking? I can see people getting it worng fine, but using it as an excuse to rename Lara-Su's race is just mental! Especially considering the name HE'S come up with looks MORE complicated than the original

3: The only real affect it has is angering the fanbase more. I don't see how anyone could be pleased with this

So I think I'll have to agree with HyperMetal's comment. There is no other explaination

Someone! Please get rid of Pendersman before he does anymore damage!

2 people like this

"Broaden the Audience/Demographic"...

You know, I think in any, ANY form of media, those words should be some kind of blasphemy or taboo. Can anyone tell me one time someone has ever "broaden the audience" and it turned out good? What is it with people and trying to press their luck with trying to expand the fanbase, especially when almost all, if not all, past experiences with doing so led to disasters for the franchise?

And yes, I also agree at this point with Hypermetal. The victory apparently made him think he's on top of the world and wanting to be higher and higher, and it's getting to a disturbing point. ...But alas, All the better a spectacle it will be to watch him fall from such inflated heights.

I'm now eager to see this come out soon. All for the wrong reasons. It's getting so surreal now with the story, that if somebody told me he was going to make Geoffrey a girl and turn Jules into Jimi Hendrix I'd probably consider it true. Because I mean why not? I'm inclined to believe anything at this point.

Pfft, you silly-billies.

I'll read it on the internet when someone inevitably uploads it to Youtube. :P

I can't say I'm really expecting much out of it, but I haven't read any Penders material for years now. It ought to be a different experience.

I'm partly expecting it to be uploaded here with all the other comics but it might not happen. I guess we'll see when it comes out

Well, if it's published here, I'll make it a point to check it out. (Im already thinking what'll happen on that day, *le shiver*)

If it's uploaded here, then I'm going to have great difficulty not looking at it. It's easier to ignore his comic if I don't know specifically where to find it

And considering what Locke said here

I'll be frank with you.

I'll buy the digital version of the book. And I'll send it to everyone here.

I'll probably end up reading it sometime anyway. Even though I don't want to

My word, this is utterly Meanieed. I knew he would do something pathetic like this, pah, I'm sure his fanbase would understand how we feel now. How much more nonsense will he come up with? Possibilities are endless with his so called 'logic'. Well thank you Penders for screwing up the comics that Ian and Archie had to reboot and now screwing up your own characters. The negativity towards you is obviously because your ideas are stupid and you've got to change them, not to mention your ego centric personality. Selfish derp, the comics are going to die all because of you, cared for nothing but your own creations, it was never about Sonic in the first place, you never played any of his games! That's why you took Sonic Chronicles the wrong way when they simply paid homage to the characters you made, not stealing them you dumb ass.

Yes I still don't get how anyone can respect or support him. His meddling has been seen from the very beginning, first ruining SATam's 3rd season and next with Archie Comics then his very OWN comic, which will utterly fail. Look at what's happened, he went around ruining people's happiness obviously of jealousy because SATam and Archie would have better business than him. Sure the attentions all on him now, but like I give a hoot about his boring work. Doesn't even know how to write a proper good story.

2 people like this

Wait, since when did he ruin SatAM?

(And if you just hate him, don't stretch the truth about it!)

I did consult with DIC to see if there was a way to generate some enthusiasm for a feature film to be the "Third Season" of SatAm. I was given the name of a SEGA executive and had a most pleasant conversation. She had to go to a meeting, but said she would like to talk to me more about the idea.

The next day, I got a call from Ken Penders, who had been alerted by his contact in their office that I was interested in getting a Sonic movie going. I generously offered to include him in the effort and told him my strategy. Get SEGA to become invested in the idea by hiring us to interview their creative game designers, execs, etc and see if we could develop a story line that would fulfill the third season - and simultaneously give them creative ideas to develop new games. A win-win, situation.

Then, I called SEGA back, but I was shocked when the exec "lit" into me, telling me, "People pay US to develop Sonic product, we don't pay them!" Then she hung up on me. Obviously, Penders had related my strategy to them in a less-than-flattering way. Thanks for the knife, Ken.

So, I gave up. Later, I was informed by friendly fans that Penders had written in his message board or some such place that "Ben Hurst doesn't know how movies are made in Hollywood." (Hey Ken, read "Adventures in Screenwriting" by William Goldman and get some humility) Then he dropped hints that HE would be the writer for a big Sonic Feature Film. That was three years ago.

So, if you're reading between the lines, you can see I don't hold out much hope for seeing the third season of Satam - or being the one who does it if it happens. And that makes me sad. Because if it were to happen, those 13 episodes would sizzle.

But this I've learned: Never leave a series on a cliffhanger unless you have a contract for the next year. And be more careful in my choice of people to confide in.

May this find you all in good health and spirits - and who knows? Miracles could still happen with Satam. But I think the odds of hitting the California Lotto are slightly better.

Best to all,

Ben Hurst

From the alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog newsgroup (2005):

Just for the record: Ken [Penders of Archie comics] has often said (paraphrasing here) that "Ben Hurst says the torch has been passed to me for Sonic the Hedgehog" - usually expressed in a way to make it appear that I passed the torch to him. Not true. I was just trying to be nice. What I said was that since the comic was ongoing and the animated series was over, the torch had been passed [by default] to him. I was just trying to prevent a flurry of inquiries from fans pitting his opinion against mine on how the Sonic Universe should be sculpted after SatAm ended. The way he has expressed it in the past seems to convey the impression that he has my approval of his work. He doesn't. I've not read a single comic.

Best to all,

Ben Hurst

1 person likes this

That information still ticks me off about Penders.

I was already cross with Pendersman. I'm not sure what more I can do about him except complain and not read his comic

Has... has Penders won claim over the original Anti-Mobius and it's characters? I've heard a rumor that Scourge & the Supresson Squad aren't going to be in the comic anymore.

Has... has Penders won claim over the original Anti-Mobius and it's characters? I've heard a rumor that Scourge & the Supresson Squad aren't going to be in the comic anymore.

Yes, Scourge and the others have been banned from the comics so no more Anti-Mobius stuff, unless they start calling it, Anti-Sonic's World which is really stupid. In a nutshell, blame it on Penders for his hissy fits and blame it on SEGA for their cheap and lazy mandates.

Well, despite the fact that Ken's concepts and characters cannot be given any future use beyond reprints, Scourge has appeared in Sonic Universe #50 as a flashback, been directly mentioned in the Sonic #256 letters page, and is on the cover for Best of Sonic the Hedgehog #3: Rivals, which will likely be released in the late summer or early fall of this year.

Darn the comic is going down here I`m afraid this is the dark age for the comic series.