Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Jest

A list of God-modding

14 posts in this topic

First off, I'd like for a Mod or Admin to please stick this and the rules of RPing for me please. ...Or Pin if that's what it's called here.

God-modding is a bit more detailed then invincibility, perfect accuracy, etc. There are higher and lower grades to god-modding. Some are practically kick-out worthy, some not too much to worry about unless in an absurd amount. ...I'm about to show you a list of these God-mods, made in a site dedicated to RPing, by skilled RPers. I'm going to also rank them from 1 to 5. 5 being the exact definition of God-modding and should NEVER be done...EVER. 1 being something that, if you see someone do it, it's not too much of a problem unless they start spamming it to hell.

If there is a ? on a Rank. That means, I can't for the life rank it, need it be unsure of severeity, or just not knowing what it even means, and so I'll give it to you guys to rank.

Types of Godmodders:

5- The very Definition of God-modding, these should never be allowed, and those who do it, should at least get a strike or massive warning by the GM.

4- While not as extreme, these causes concerns, and should be addressed. It should cause no problems should they never do it again. But if they do, they will of their own risk.

3- Right in the middle. It's certainly a cause for alarm, but not to be taken too seriously so long as the factors aren't extreme. These can also be pardoned, if the victim gave them permission to do this.

2- Not as light-hearted as ones, yet not as bad as the higher-ups. These are something to take a quick second glance at and that's it. They're not worth a strike or a warning unless they are taken to extreme heights

1- Do not worry about these ones at all. At worst, they're minor annoyances that bug people to death if spammed, but nothing too damaging to the RP, even if spammed. IF, by some god-forsaken reason they become extremely overused, that's when you have to say. "Alright, enough is enough, just stop." And should they refuse, increase it to level 2, and so on.

?- I cannot for the life of me rank these ones. Need it be because they're unclear, or because I'm unsure of the level it could cause.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The people who never miss a single shot no matter how hard it is (Aim-botters). [5]

The people who can't be hit or just shrug it off (god-modders). [5]

The people who never are without a weapon and ammo (idkfa-ers). [4]

The people who have absurdly strong powers (twinks). [5]

The people who 'balance' their characters by having a massive but irrelevant weakness and massive powers (min-maxers). [4]

The people who use Out Of Character knowledge to get an edge (Miss Cleos). [4]

The people who do things in hindsight (McFlys). [?]

The people who RP other people's characters for them (Puppetmasters). [3]

The people who RP completely irrelevant things (Daydreamers). [2]

The people who RP actions and time against others while the others aren't present OOC, but are IC (Shoe elves). [?]

The people who ignore or alter RPs that they don't like (Revisionists). [3]

The people who RP an absurdly time consuming sequence occurring between other people's actions (Speedhackers). [?]

The people who play as characters that are completely impossible (Oxymorons). [4]

The people who arbitrarily declare themselves the winner with instant death attacks (Baghdad Bobbits). [5]

The people who've taken actions before they start RPing (Gaseous Snakes). [3]

The people who pull-in elements that were approved in an unrelated RP (Augustines). [1]

The people who use an existing persona and only RP them when it helps (Batmen). [?]

The people who alter their character as needed for the situation (Zoicite). [1]

The people who declare their IC threads safe, but readily attack others (NIMBYs). [4]

The people who gain abilities as they need them with no prior exposure (Trinities). [4]

The people who pick-up things that spawn from seemingly nowhere (Quakers). [?]

Is there an example of a daydreamer, for clarification? It seems like an irritating thing to be, but I would like to know how it could be considered God-modded. Please enlighten me.

Well, I think by "Irrelevant" it translates out to "Not the current situation at hand." Say you're fighting ....Eggman's army. Or Mammoth Mogul. Daydreaming would probably be something like a flashback that has NOTHING to do with the fight at hand, or a conversation that, again, has nothing to do with your fight.

However, I've seen and even done plenty of cases where there's a "meanwhile" with another character, that's technically irrelevant because they're not with the ones fighting. Ergo, I think that it's only the case of this kind of thing when it's a singular character daydreaming. By which case it's can be annoying if someone who is in a situation, isn't focusing on that situation.

It's not exactly an act of god-modding, it's more like an act of Game-breaking, which, for all intent and purposes, is essentially the same thing as God-modding, the same as Miss Cleos or I would think McFlies.

ok just one question here... what if someone's character is God or Goddess? I mean sure they should have some sort of weakness but... you never know o_o or then some sort of mystical force which no one knows? does it count as God-modding if it has for example very rare weakness or something? not that I would have characters like that... (well... one is Goddess but even she's got a weakness but it's pretty difficult to realize what it is)

I don't know how the rules go in this, but my own feeling is, unless everyone is a Deity, Gods and Goddesses shouldn't be player characters. Maybe under the control of the playing running the game, but that's it. Otherwise, it can quickly become Deus Ex Machina taken to the extreme. Not to mentioned unbalanced.

But that's just my opinion.

nah I think you're right Skye. just asking you know.. xD

Heh, nothing wrong with asking!

Deleted

Edited by Survivor

ok just one question here... what if someone's character is God or Goddess? I mean sure they should have some sort of weakness but... you never know o_o or then some sort of mystical force which no one knows? does it count as God-modding if it has for example very rare weakness or something? not that I would have characters like that... (well... one is Goddess but even she's got a weakness but it's pretty difficult to realize what it is)

Skye said it best to a degree. But like Survivor, most of my arsenal also consists of Immortals with weaknesses.

The way I see it, if it's a God that can be beaten by mortal hand, and used by someone player-wise who is humble enough to allow such a thing, then it's allowed. But there is a bit of a balance to consider...

To put it simply, the more power they have, the less they can do with it. Only Final bosses are an exception to this when they become final bosses, mostly because usually they are facing a party of characters with enough experience and power to warrant it.

As such, When you have a character that is actually Omnipotent, Almighty and all-powerful, ...To balance that out, that God can't be allowed to interfere or use that power at all for any interloping reason, UNLESS their power is reduced to the point where it's allowed.

In regards to the Rare Weakness, or Mystical Force against said god, or in this case Goddess. Unless this entire RP revolves around this Goddess and finding this rare weakness, need it be for a hero or a villain to use against her, then it probably would not be allowed in any other RP unless this Goddess, again, isn't interfering with life to warrant someone needing to use said weakness.

what if it is a weakness that's actually pretty easy to find... (for example the only way to hurt one of my OC is to hurt my other OC because they're sort of the same person who later was turned to two different person in order to become a Goddess and they share the same pain and emotions.) is that allowed or God-modding? I'm not sure...

Hmm...Well then it depends on how powerful both of these two are. One of them's a goddess, so I assume she's exceptionally powerful, and this other OC in turn, I can assume is also powerful in his/her own right. In that case, it again turns to the power balance, so that way we don't have the Goddess using said God-like power to constantly protect this person who is her weakness.

If she is able to protect him/her, then she is able to get hurt to protect him/her. Otherwise, common sense would depict her an all-powerful shield that wouldn't allow anyone to kill him/her, because it would then kill her too. Also, if that IS the case, that she can get hurt, then the exact same weakness she has, so too does this person.

Granted, there IS an effective strategy against her to be had if ever used in an RP: Distract the Goddess away from her weakness and strike at it, but then, who or what would be capable of distracting a Goddess to kill someone who could very well also protect herself. ...Especially since if this goddess feels every pain and emotion the weakness does, unless the one who kills him/her was an impressively skilled that can kill the weakness in one blow (Which, in itself, is god-modding), she'd spot him/her in trouble well before his/her death and come to his/her aid.]

Also Granted, it also varies depending on this Goddess' personality. To distract a goddess like this requires quite a lot of effort after all, including perhaps a tragic destructive cataclysm she has to keep in line to ensure the protection of everyone within the area. A goddess who is Benevolent and caring usually goes the selfless route of putting faith in her partner and focus entirely on whatever's distracting someone like her.

On the other hand, the more sensible route, be it good or bad, is to head to and protect the partner the instant she spots he's/she's in danger. Because even if she's good, the moment she dies when keeping something under control, the control on perhaps a dangerous catastrophe will drop dead with her.

Overall, It depends on a few factors. How powerful she is, if she, in of herself, is invincible, her Personality, and how much trust she has in her partner to survive.

actually the other OC is a child and pretty weak... (gets hurt easily at least like for example: she hits a tree instant forehead bleeding) and as for the Goddess while she can ran and walk on water and fly she can't use ALL her powers (because in "mortals world" ) while her parents (two other gods and their friends) are in heaven watching the world but cannot interfere even if their own daughter is in trouble. still god-modding or allowed?

I see.

since she can't use all her powers, that would imply she's no different to empowered immortals, a demi-god so to speak.

In that case just consider this:

If she is capable of fighting, she is capable of losing.

If you can accept that fact, then she is allowed. If not, then it is god-modded.

of course she is capable of losing. although because she is a hero she will beat the bad guys some day :D