Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pkrockinomega

GamerGate

GamerGate   8 votes

1. 1. Where do you stand on GamerGate?

• I'm Pro-GG; I'm against corruption in the game industry and I actively boycott offending sites. (Gawker, Kotaku, Polygon, etc.)
    • I'm Pro-GG; I'm against corruption in the game industry but I do not actively boycott offending sites.
    • I'm neutral; I really have no idea what's going on.
    • I'm neutral; I know what's going on but I don't really care about it.
    • I'm neutral; I know what's going on but I don't want to comment on it because I fear getting insulting or attacked by either side.
    • I'm Anti-GG; I think this entire ordeal is an overreaction and there isn't really any corruption in the industry.
    • I'm Anti-GG; I think everyone supporting GamerGate is a sexist and/or racist who is against diversity in the industry.
    • I'm Anti-GG; I will not support this until it disassociates itself from the people who abuse it.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

I'm pretty surprised there isn't a thread about this already but here it is.

If you don't already know what #GamerGate and #NotYourShield is, watch this:

Edited by Pkrockinomega

I theorize that the reason there wasn't a thread on it in the first place is that the majority of this site probably doesn't know what Gamergate is, and those who do know about it, like myself, prefers not talking about it.

Me, I've been informed about Gamergate for about a few weeks at least. Though with my admittingly horrid memory, I seem to have forgotten the details. So what do I think of it?

...No comment.

Honestly, I'm both cases of Knowledgeable Neutrals. It's true that I indeed fear the idea of stepping on a proverbial landmine in a somewhat sensitive subject, but it's also true that I'm not the kind of guy to jump on either side of a war if it doesn't have any personal effect on me...and Gamergate honestly doesn't.

I will say this though: Is there corruption in the Industry? ...Possibly. I won't yell corruption as an absolute in the interest of those on here who might believe there isn't. However, It wouldn't surprise me if there was.

I theorize that the reason there wasn't a thread on it in the first place is that the majority of this site probably doesn't know what Gamergate is, and those who do know about it, like myself, prefers not talking about it.

Well put.

I am anti-GG... but not for the reasons listed!

I apologize. Can you say your reason so I can add it as an option?

Basically just that the people supporting it who are sexist use any traction it gains for their own awful motives. I'm not comfortable supporting it until it becomes more distanced from it's gross roots.

Noted. Though I'll go ahead and say this: Not everyone in the revolt should be represented by a few trolls because that's really all they are, a few trolls taking advantage of a serious movement. I could easily say I discredit the opposing side because of some of the lovely things we've been called by the more radical people opposing it (worse than ISIS, hope we all get ebola, misogynist, neckbeard, manchild, etc.) along with that lovely tweet Anita made saying that men are the reason for school shootings, but I don't. Why? Because it doesn't represent them entirely. Granted they say these things because they truly believe in them out of a result of being misinformed by MSNBC and what have you, I don't immediately discredit a group for one's actions. Instead I discredit the individual. I only hold respect for those who hold respect for me.

I totally get where you're coming from, and that's part of the reason that the original options didn't work for me- I know quite well that not everyone supporting the movement is trying to be exclusionary! I don't want to make it sound like I've got something against everyone supporting it because I really don't. But every time say, a female artist on Twitter comes out as pro-GG, you get a bunch of people saying "See, she knows her place!" and I really, really do not want to deal with that.

That said, there are a lot of people who say stuff like "I don't consider myself a femist because I don't want to associate with the hateful ones" and I think this is essentially the same thing. I'm not mad at the people who say that, because they have a totally valid position.

I have friends who are both pro and anti gamergate, and I opt not to voice my opinion to them due to not wanting to upset either side... and both sides can be excessively sensitive.

Personally I believe both sides have become twisted bastardizations of what they initially set out to accomplish. People like Sarkeesian and TAA aren't helping.