NegaMetallix

Sonic & Mega Man: WORLDS UNITE?!

500 posts in this topic

Well, it appears Xander Payne WAS onto something in Mega Man #40, because this just popped up recently:

BzXcGo_CUAEk55L.jpg

Source: http://www.polygon.c...rossover-series

Yep, Sonic and Mega Man are gonna have another crossover, in Spring of next year! The article above has more details.

Judging by the teaser image, it looks like Sonic's world will still be suffering from the Shattered World Crisis (Unleashed Arc), and I'm guessing this event'll happen just after STH's 'Champions' arc, Sonic Universe's 'Spark of Life' arc, and the second half of the 'Mega Man 3' arc. (I highly doubt the Sonic Boom comic will get dragged into this.) With that said... I think it might be a little bit too early for the heroes to cross paths again (or technically, for the first time... dammit, time travel!). I mean, if it was after the Unleashed arc is resolved in Sonic's World, then maybe I could understand. But it's looking like it'll still be shattered during this event. But obviously, what I'm most curious about is HOW they're gonna meet up this time. I doubt it'll be another Genesis Wave, or another Skull Egg Zone. And it's likely that Xander's gonna be involved in some way... I guess all we can do is wait till New York Comic-Con this weekend to get more details. Anyway, what do you guys think? Awesome news, or too early?

You're kidding me? Again? Already?

Hoookay, let's think about this....

We know the Cross-over happens in Mega-man's future. And cause of the Genesis Wave it.... kinda... hasn't happened in the Sonic world now... So, in some ways this might be the same story just told slightly differently cause the last one 'never happened' (For the sake of your sanity, DON'T try to work your head around THAT paradox)

And I really hope the 'unite' thing ain't gonna be permanent, though it would be a quick way to fill out the now bit more empty Sonic Character roster.

Are you kidding? *Sighs* I saw this coming but... really? So soon?

Well... I don't think they should do this so soon but it might be interesting...I hope

picard-facepalm-o.gif

There are so many reasons I could come up with for why this is happening, and happening so quickly, and I think only one is actually positive: That Worlds Collide was such a huge success that it guaranteed this encore.

Other reasons I can come with can be summed up in one word: Desperation.

Also, have any of you noticed that this is the THIRD time now that Flynn is making something that deviates from this 3rd Megaman Game Arc? ...I getting the feeling that Megaman 3 was either his least favorite game in the bunch, and he's tries to find more excuses to NOT do it, or it's his favorite and he's trying to keep himself in it as long as possible. ....Or it could be that Megaman 4's his least favorite and he's trying to delay getting to it for as long as possible.

Alas, all three of these are simply theories.

On the plus side, maybe if it is a united universe now, we have a means of filling up Sonic's cut roster while adding to Megaman's.

And I have always wanted the idea of Sonic being a two-world story for a while now. ( ;) *Slight Foreshadowing for a certain project I'm still working on.*)

No worries about the story being interuppeted, let alone rebooted. Read the quote from this article:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54531

Pellerito also announced some new comics based on their video game licensed comics, including “Sonic Boom” featuring characters from Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog universe and tied to a new game and cartoon, and Capcom’s Mega Man. In addition to new solo comics, the two characters are set to cross over in an upcoming limited series.

"Limited series". So no worries!

As someone who doesn't know comic-book terminology, what does 'limited series' mean?

I think it means it won't go on forever. Only a short time

As someone who doesn't know comic-book terminology, what does 'limited series' mean?

A mini-series–a comic that intentionally only lasts a few issues.

Okay, I see. I thought for a moment it sounded like it was stand alone.

Okay new Mega Man & Sonic Crossover?

That is reaaaally cool, BUT I don't like the fact that this is going to fast with the crossovers. After the Mega Man 3 storyline "Legends of the Blue Bomber"? Come on, I think the first thing is, that you have to keep your mainstoryline up. In Mega Man we had now "only" Ra Moon, little Crossover with the X-Universe and the Mega Man 3 storyline.

I am not sure about that, but we will see it, so I am not going to say in the first time "This will be bad!". That is not fair, but I hope for Flynn he can keep up this "higher level of a fantastic storyline" like in Worlds Collide. Otherwise I think it will be a shameful box office bomb. I garantee it.

Another problem is, that Worlds Collide is canon in the Mega Man comics. I don't think that in the Sonic Universe the crossovers are canon, right? It would be better if the Worlds Collide/Unite-Saga is a complete different universe than the ongoing series.

Edited by Centaur Man

The cross-over is canon in the Sonic 'verse... but it took place before the reboot, so possibly got lost in the rewrite of the universe....

But then again, it CAUSED the reboot... so.... who knows.... It certainly WAS canon!

I'm really excited for this! I just hope Dr. Light's Robot Masters have a bigger appearance, I really don't want to wait until the very last part to see them again... It will be coolif it'smulti-verse, Sonic meeting X, I can just imagine that XD

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, the crossover is canon to the Sonic universe but it isn't canon to the Mega Man universe as it's only at MM3 right now, and the crossover took place after MM10

In terms of 'Worlds Collide' being canon to either universes, I have at least two theories as to what might happen. My first theory goes something like this:

As of right now, I believe the events of 'Worlds Collide' are still gonna happen in Mega Man's future (post-MM10), but the circumstances will be different. So rather than having Eggman and Wily meet before MM3, then using the Genesis Wave to push time forward, instead they meet after MM10's events, and just create the Skull Egg Zone to connect the worlds. From there, most of the events from 'Worlds Collide' happen as they did before, but without the constant mentioning of the Genesis Wave. The only problem with this theory is... what version of SONIC's World is used? If Genesis Waves aren't being used, then the most likely answer would be the rebooted universe. And if you're wondering why Sonic and his friends wouldn't recognise Mega Man and Co., just remember that even after Tails and Amy were zapped by NICOLE in 'Countdown to Chaos', they (along with Sonic and Eggman) forgot the old events just a couple issues later, and everyone else never remembered them in the first place (aside from Blaze, but I don't think even she remembers them by now). Just cut out any mentioning of Mecha Sally (or Break Man, I guess), add the Freedom Fighters (and some MM comic characters?) to the bunch and I think it would kinda make sense. Oh, and the finale would be different. Instead of rebooting the worlds again, maybe just have them turn Super to destroy the Skull Egg Zone and disconnect the worlds, returning everyone to their respective universes. The End.

Of course, if that's too complicated for you, then there's always this theory (which actually refers to possible outcomes in THIS crossover, so... potential spoilers?):

Perhaps 'Worlds Collide' being canon (at least, on Mega Man's side) may just end up being a plot excuse for Xander to become a main villain in 'Worlds Unite', so he's trying to prevent the two from meeting in the future (as he probably believes that it also causes the MMX future). From there, depending on how the events turn out, maybe the finale will result in the two heroes returning to their homeworlds, with their memories of this crossover either intact or removed (again), and possibly removing the original crossover events from (Mega Man's future) canon. Yes, it would technically make 'Worlds Collide' a non-canon event, but it might just clear up the confusion from it still being canon in MM's universe (as far as 'Dawn of X' is concerned). Then again, that's what happens when one universe reboots while the other one doesn't.

Nega: Now my brain hurts xP

better I put here spoilers too, just to be sure.

After MM10? Make sence with Bass and all the Robot Masters BUT at the end of Mega Man 3 and I think Mega Man II, Proto Man forgives Dr. Light about what happened in the past and work with them togehter...and well...you can not really see that Proto Man is "happy" in Worlds Collide. There he is still the "I want to be alone"-Fighter and so I think Worlds Collide is in the mainstoryline a bit earlier than MM10. Also when Xander Payne travels through the timeline there is Gamma (MM3), Quint (MMII) and then the Worlds Collide reference.

Also there is a problem to manage because only Sonic and Dr. Eggman are remembering the crossover (or at least Eggman) and in the Mega Man Universe only Mega Man knows about the event and not Dr. Wily. So..I don't think that Eggman and Wily will team up again xP

One thing with Xander is, that he thinks that the crossover and all the things he met is in the past (so Mega Man X before MM Classics) and not in the future, so thats a little bit controverse...oh god! Time travel things and crossovers are always confusing and blow up your mind.

Edited by Centaur Man

After MM10? Make sense with Bass and all the Robot Masters BUT at the end of Mega Man 3 and I think Mega Man II, Proto Man forgives Dr. Light about what happened in the past and work with them togehter...and well...you can not really see that Proto Man is "happy" in Worlds Collide. There he is still the "I want to be alone"-Fighter and so I think Worlds Collide is in the mainstoryline a bit earlier than MM10. Also when Xander Payne travels through the timeline there is Gamma (MM3), Quint (MMII) and then the Worlds Collide reference.

Also there is a problem to manage because only Sonic and Dr. Eggman are remembering the crossover (or at least Eggman) and in the Mega Man Universe only Mega Man knows about the event and not Dr. Wily. So..I don't think that Eggman and Wily will team up again xP

One thing with Xander is, that he thinks that the crossover and all the things he met is in the past (so Mega Man X before MM Classics) and not in the future, so thats a little bit controverse...oh god! Time travel things and crossovers are always confusing and blow up your mind.

With Proto Man, I always presumed that after MM3, even though he becomes a trusted ally of Mega Man's, he still doesn't fully forgive Dr. Light. Not to the point where he hates him, but just... doesn't really want to speak with him much. I could be wrong, though. Proto Man's a tough one to decipher.

And WC's events have already been confirmed as taking place post-MM10. This is shown in Xander Payne's time travel from Issue #38, which specifically went in this order: Xander sees himself witnessing the Time Skimmer for the first time, then sees himself entering the machine (from the previous issue). He sees Mega Man facing the Wily Walker (from the previous page), followed by Mega Man facing Gamma (end of MM3), along with Mega Man facing Quint (MMII) afterwards. Xander then sees Dr. Wily being confronted by... someone, but gets caught in some kind of bright light (a time anomaly?). He witnesses Mega Man and [MM7] Bass destroy the time anomaly during the events of MM10 (Issue #20), and then he gets caught in said time anomaly, presumably. This is followed by him witnessing Mega Man and Sonic fighting Tails Man (Worlds Collide), before finally ending up in the year 21XX, just as X and the Maverick Hunters are facing the Wily Walker. Since the Worlds Collide scene happens after the MM10/Issue #20 scene, I think it's safe to say that MM10 had already happened at that point in the timeline.

As for characters remembering the events, well... no-one remembers them now. Mega Man and Wily never remembered them in the first place (aside from Mega Man's "Is the world okay?!" and Wily's "violent urge to stomp on a carton of eggs" lines from Issue #28), and even though Sonic and Eggman (along with Blaze, technically) remembered the crossover events at first (Tails and maybe Amy too, thanks to NICOLE), it's more than likely that they've all forgotten them by now, what with the new memories seeping in and removing all their old memories. As such, if Wily and Eggman did meet up in my first theory's future, then their conversation would likely go roughly the same as in the original 'Worlds Collide' story, minus any references to Mobius or Ra Moon.

And finally, it's true Xander thought he was going into the past at first... until he actually got into the Time Skimmer. Once he got to X's timeline, it's pretty clear he knew that he was in the future, remarking that he's glad the Emerald Spears live on into 21XX. Heck, the whole trip practically gave him even more reason to stop Mega Man; he now wants to prevent X's future (and possibly everything robot-related that he witnessed) from ever happening, and likely sees Sonic as another obstacle to overcome, if/when he arrives. If anything, Xander could most likely become a key villain in this upcoming crossover, wanting to get rid of both Blue Heroes.

While I'm here, I might as well pass on some more knowledge of the crossover, courtesy of Ian Flynn himself (via the BumbleKing Forums):

I don't know where the "limited series" angle is coming from - a wire got crossed somewhere, I guess.

"Worlds Unite" will be featured in the regular comics like before. I can't get into anything else - don't want to steal their thunder in NYCC - but it isn't going to be a separate limited series.

And there's the bombshell. Sorry BlueBlur, your source was incorrect. This'll be taking place within the main comics again, most likely just after the events of MM3 on Mega Man's world, and definately during the Shattered World Crisis on Sonic's world. I'm also gonna take a wild guess and say that Universe will be tagging along too.

*Facedesks*

No! I don't want more interuptions for the main series! I want the limited series thing!

*Sighs*

I'm a little worried about how they're going to do this too. The whole "Genesis wave" thing has gotten old. They shouldn't have to do the same thimg 3 times so close to each other

Part of me thinks it will end with Sonic's world rebooting back to normal.

But, honestly I would be Mega suprized if that happened.

I highly doubt this'll result in another reboot or anything like that, nor do I see any more Genesis Waves being used. (Unless maybe it's just to connect the worlds together again. Nothing more, nothing less). Sonic's world is damaged enough as it is. My guess as to what the whole "no universe will be safe" tagline is referring to, is either:

1) Perhaps Mega Man's world actually DOES suffer some kind of consequence after this crossover, unlike the last one.

2) This may involve more than just Sonic's World and Mega Man's Earth. (Though I don't mean the Boom-verse or any other Mega Man timelines.)

I'm just gonna have one last theory as to who (or what) might be involved in this crossover. Potential spoilers, away!

We know that there are at least two remaining factors from 'Worlds Collide', one from each universe: Xander's time travelling in Mega Man's world, and the Wily Egg Egg O' War in Sonic's world. Ok, technically the Egg O' War is in the Sol Zone, but maybe that world could become the bridge between Sonic's and Mega Man's worlds, somehow. Whether it's through something like the Jeweled Scepter (which is said to connect Sonic's world with the Sol Zone) or some other means, who knows, but it might be possible. Of course, there is just one problem with using the Egg O' War; it's still under the ocean. So it would likely have to be repaired somehow. But if it does become a key part of the crossover, it would also get Captain Metal involved. And I think it would be interesting to see what happens to him. Would he get a new body? Would he continue to be the Egg O' War? Would he become a main villain, or at least work with/against whoever the main villains are gonna be in this crossover?

I guess after the reboot of sonic`s world fail to impress anyone including myself I guess this was a good idea unless penders characters return or the old universe comeback this crossover maybe a good read.

really?? another one?? well... I started reading Mega Man as well... so this really does seem like a cool idea. hopefully it will be as awesome as the last one. I was wondering when this would happen again ever since the little time travelling adventure in Mega Man by Xander.

really?? another one?? well... I started reading Mega Man as well... so this really does seem like a cool idea. hopefully it will be as awesome as the last one. I was wondering when this would happen again ever since the little time travelling adventure in Mega Man by Xander.

I hope so to because their was a lot of miss opportunity with the last one hopefully they`ll take more chance with this then worlds collide.

I know right?? and hopefully there will be epic final fight as well! I mean... sure the first Worlds Collide's final battle was awesome and all... but I'm pretty sure they can and will make even better one for this! and I'm guessing lots of De Ja Vu moments will happen. wonder where they'll end up fighting next.... somewhere in between the worlds or Sonic's World? or maybe Mega Man's? anyway I can't wait for it to start again!! new adventure!! xD

I know right?? and hopefully there will be epic final fight as well! I mean... sure the first Worlds Collide's final battle was awesome and all... but I'm pretty sure they can and will make even better one for this! and I'm guessing lots of De Ja Vu moments will happen. wonder where they'll end up fighting next.... somewhere in between the worlds or Sonic's World? or maybe Mega Man's? anyway I can't wait for it to start again!! new adventure!! xD

And hopefully their will be no genesis wave or dr.eggman screwing sonic`s world again so next issue we'll be in the dark next issue just to learn the world got rebooted again.

yeah... they've already changed Mobius and it's people more than enough. and it needs to stop! if they want a change for the story then why not (at least for few issues) put Mega Man in Sonic's world with few of his friends to help them. (or Sonic in Mega Man's world) and then they could just go home through a Warp Ring again or something... but no more big genesis waves messing things up!! Dx

I heard that Mega Man X and the boom characters are going to show up.