Shadow

Games that you recently finished

223 posts in this topic

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yep, been working on this since I got it for Christmas. But today, on the Fourth of July, I've finally beaten it!! From the start the story was as compelling as it was interesting. The battle system is fun to play with, namely having your party members call out attacks to boost damage or increase heals and buffs. You can have standard party members supplied by the game, or call in your friends to help you out.

But I haven't even started about the Skells. Transforming robots you can pilot, customize, and use in battle. Heck, you can even fly around Mira in them! The open worldness of the game is as implied, you can walk from NLA all the way to Cauldros, I've yet to try flying to the atmosphere! There's no limit to exploration, well, exception being the enemies... From lvl 1 to 90, they can be found everywhere, even in the starter zone. Then there's the Tyrants. Bigger and badder versions of regular enemies that have unique traits that can devastate you. But as the saying goes, "If it bleeds, you can kill it."

There's virtually no end to the side quests that can be done and affinity missions that grant special arts for you to use. Talking to the NPCs can generate treasure, missions, and even tyrants that weren't there before. With many caves and secrets come many treasures to be had. They can contain anything from money to blueprints to probes.

The soundtrack of this game will forever hold a special place in my heart. Name a game's soundtrack you love, now compare it with this. I personally recommend the music in this game, as it has a song for every occasion and feeling.

Over all, I've had great fun with this game and highly recommend it to any who like flowing battles, Adventuring to day's end, or can handle the fast-paced action of Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Edited by Thire

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

When I say I've finished this I mean I've gotten all the achievements and pretty much joined up with everyone I can and gotten all the dragon priest masks...blah blah blah. Oh yeah and it was the legendary edition so I had all 3 dlcs. Basically I did the important stuff. I've had this game pretty much since I got Steam 2 and a half years ago... I think. I took some breaks in between (I'll get into reasons later)

So... in general t'was a fun game. Some quests are better than others of course. Ones like the "Forsworn conspiracy" and the quest you do to get the daedric artifact "Nemira's ring" (*Shudders*) I wouldn't say are as enjoyable. I did enjoy the sense of achievement for getting all the daedric artifacts though. Similar to getting the dragon priest masks and all the claws. And with the Forsworn conspiracy, I made it up for myself by killing all the guards in Markarth including the three jerk thalmor wandering about (all of which I killed them in the best way possible... shouting them off a cliff). I'd say my favourite quest though was the Dark Brotherhood questline... I liked being a stealthy sneak and made it an extra challenge for myself to never get spotted (except one I had to get caught). It was good fun. I kind of had to cheat at times though. I always got so overcumbered and I ended up unable to get passed one quest so I turned on God Mode and pretty much never took it off. And then to get the final achievement "defeating a legendary dragon" I... forced myself up a few levels so they could spawn.Grinding it out would take WAY too long. But yeah other than that... Tried to stick to the rules as much as possible ;)

In terms of the DLCs... starting off with the Dragonborn one... I did love how I got a different surrounding than in normal Skyrim. It was kind of like a holiday... well... a busy holiday of defeating ashy monsters and dragon priests... and another Dragonborn of course. I also got to meet fellow friendly werewolves there who told me some nice items. Made me very happy. I'd say some of the downsides to it are... hmm... well it has one of the most expensive quests to do. Also... the Black Books are... not that nice. But I would say this one is the most worth getting out of the other three

The Heartfire one doesn't really bring too much. It dpes let you build your own house (which I liked) and adopt children (who always will be the second most cared for characters in the game for me). And the children can then adopt pets. Building houses are expensive but there's not much to not like about this DLC. Even if thereisn't too much else to it

And then... there's the Dawnguard one... *Sighs*. The idea of there being vampires and being able to become one is cool and there were good parts to it like being able to summon a skeletal horse from it... but some of my least favourite moments came from this DLC. First of all... becoming a vampire itself... they're... kind of weird looking but they have some pretty cool powers. More than what werewolves have. But getting the perks is such a PAIN. Out of all your powers only 2 count towards your perks. A difficult to pull off finishing move... and an attack that does barely any damage and HAS to be the last hit. So if you have companions and they get the last hit it won't count. Plus your attack may take off your companion's health (I kept almost killing my dog). It was one of the reasons I quitthe game for a while And speaking of companions the vampire girl your with... WILL NOT LEAVE YOU at points... which,when you want to get those vamp perks... just drags things out more than it should do. I pick werewolf with it's "just eat who you killed" perk increase any day over vampires. Werewolves are cooler anyway. Legendary dragons were introduced in the dawnguard DLC. I tried grinding... I really did but...no. It just takes way too long. And then there's the Forgotten Vale. A place you have to visit as part of the Dawnguard quest and the other reason I stopped playing for a while. Don't get me wrong... it's a pretty place andthe purple cats and green elk are cool... but that place is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate. The place is huge and you need to visit 5 teleporty areas... and the pointers only show you the direction of the end point, not how to get there. It's no good pointing me over a mountain -_- So yeah. This one is pretty bad. The only thing I think was worth it in this DLC is the two beautiful dogs (Sceolang <3 My companion for life... and death) who were trained at the Dawnguard and who can become a third companion... or adopted by your child so you can have both at once. I always brought one of them, Sceolang with me. And he is my favourite character in the game and the one I care for most. If I could sacrifice everyone else int he game (except maybe my children) for him I would without hesitation

So... rant over... on the most part. Really enjoyed it. I'll have difficulty deciding what to play next

Fantasy life, though I have to get every skill level to level 15 to actually get the legendary status. Considering that I have to continue to farm for several items it might take a very long while to get each class to level 15. Oh, bother.

Yesterday I finished an rpg maker horror game called "Blank Dream". It's kind of short, if you know what you're doing, but the scares are good (mostly jumpscares but still) and the story was great.

Today I just finished even shorter rpg maker game called: "Hello Hell...o?" The story and the ending can be understood in many ways, which is good for anyone who enjoys making theories. It took me a while to understand how to get the true ending but I managed to beat it. Now I'm off to download more games like this one! 

I just wrapped up Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2. It's pretty solid, but it's got major pacing issues. Chapter 2's by far the longest in the game, and Chapters 4 and 6 are basically just one boss fight each.

I finished some games called Alice Mare, Paranoiac, Mogeko Castle, You Me and Empty Words and The Dark Side of Little Red Riding Hood.

(They're all pretty short games, takes about an hour or so to finish the three first ones and even shorter time to finish the other ones)

I really like how people can make so many scary, emotional, odd stories and still put so much spirit in each one even though they don't last long.

Not sure it counts, but I finished the Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest path.  Just Revelations to go.

Though first I'm gonna do a 'For True Story' Playthrough in Awakening.

I finally got around to beating Super Metroid for the first time. Yeah, i'm a big Metroid fan that never actually beat Super. I dabbled with it now and then but never actually beat it, until 3:30 in the morning. So, my final run time was 4 hours (Not bad for a first time through the game and a pretty beat up Gamecube controller), but I think that might have been my cleptomania acting up, making me go for 100%. Oh well, fantastic game, though. I'm definitely going to play it again very soon.

A bit late to the party, but I've finished Portal 2, both co-op (though a while back) and now single-player.

So, single-player, definitely a fun game, but definitely not as good as the origonal.  It still has the issue from the origonal that most of the game is tutorials before the game proper opens up, but 2 is actually longer, and the tutorials take up a greater proportion of the game.  Also, maybe it's just that I've played so much of it and get the mechanics, but unlike the originals gradually increasing difficulty, it felt the puzzles went easy-easy-easy-easy-easy-SUDDENLY HARD for the endgame.  And even the hard puzzles weren't on par with the originals head-scratchers.  And far too often, gameplay descends into 'find the one small area of 'portable' wall to use to proceed.  

And I do feel very sorry for one of the characters, who is evil by what boils down to mind control.

Co-op has much better and tricker puzzles though, so if you want the brainteasers, find a friend! ;) 

I have finished tales of Zestiria for the ps4.  It is a good game so I would recommend it highly.

I finally beat Paper Mario for the N64, after my last playthough seven years ago. However, I'm not quite done with the game yet. I am aiming for 100% (Curse my cleptomania!) 

I used a neat little grinding area to get a crazy amount of coins so I could buy all the badges from Rowf's badge shop. I also used a guide to find all the star piece locations (I couldn't remember where they all were), so I could get the badges from Merlow. So I have all 80 badges.

With getting all the badges, it requires getting all 160 star pieces as well, so that's something that was a bit of a pain even with a guide...

The Chuck Quizmo stuff was just recalling all the subtle things about the game, which I answered all 64 questions.

I also got every party member to level 2, but there is still a bit I have left to upgrade for Mario himself.

All I have left to do really is do the Tayce. T sidequest, which is just recipes. I still have another 45 left to discover though. Sigh.

Other than that, it's my favorite Mario RPG. The star spirits are fun to play around with, and some of the badge combos can absolutely break the game by making super bosses such as the Anti-Guy in chapter 4 an absolute joke, including regular bosses! If you're really good qith the power bounce, you can deal tons of damage obscenely fast. I love the game, it's also really beginner friendly. I have no problem recommending it to anyone who's looking for a fun game.

1 person likes this

Ratchet and Clank All 4 One- Probably would've been more fun with a bud but I still found joy in it. I love platformers. And I love crazy weapons. I personally found myself using the critterstrike the most especially after I upgraded it all the way. There's something satisfying with turning your foes into pigs and making them kill their allies. The AI partner sometimes got on my nerves but was pretty good for the most part.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon- Finally after owning the game for 4 months, I finally beat it. Blame my work and being easily distracted. I never played the original game but after playing Dark Moon I wished I did. Polterpup is adorable.

Edited by Seviper the Fang Snake

I beat Metroid Prime 3 Corruption just minutes before posting this. I haven't done a proper "I beat this game I never played before" in a while. So, my initial thoughts on the game. I will avoid all plot important spoilers as best as I can. So, on with the pseudo review!

For a game on the Wii, the motion controls to move the arm cannon were rather responsive and were rather easy to get accustomed to. However I do have one problem with the motion controls, I found it very easy to overshoot your aim, and that led me to missing my beam shots quite a few times, but isn't really that much of an issue as I did miss shots on the Gamecube titles.

The story picks up and slows down and up and down and up and down... The story goes by really consistently and very smoothly until the only real problem I have with Prime 3... The story comes to a hault when you're forced to backtrack to get items that are mandatory for plot progression. For an example "I have to get this item in area A so I can progress in area C. However the game wants me to do 3 other things in area B before I can go back to area C with the item from are A". The only thing I have a problem with is the story pacing. But, that's just a nitpick.

The design of the planets was really interesting. My favorite being Elysia, Skytown if you will. The design of tge planets may have been interesting but the actual level design did have me callkng foul in a couple places, but nothing that had me legitimately mad or upset. The level design is easily the most confusing and the most Metroid-y (That's not a word but I just made it a word) in the entire Prime series in my opinion (Aside from Prime 2 but that was confusing for the wrong reasons). So the level design gets a pass.

The boss fights were a laugh and a half because of how simple they were in terms of the actual patterns. Point and shoot at the big glowing "Hit me here!" lights, stun, blast with the Phazon Beam. The Phazon Beam was introduced in Prime 1, but made a bonified gameplay mechanic which you have available almost  right out of the gate at the cost of an Energy Tank. But you get health back so fast that it doesn't really matter. The only boss that I had a good time fighting was (Spoiler if you haven't gotten all collecables in Prime 2 or watched a video of it) was Dark Samus, who's boss battle is basically right from Prime 2. The boss fights are lackluster at worst and okay at best.

The soundtrack? It's Metroid. The soundtrack is going to be absolutely amazing, and it is. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic! Not my favorite Metroid soundtrack though. That honor still belongs to Super Metroid. Phaaze was actually my favorite track from the game. I do appreciate the remix of Theme of Samus though. The soundtrack for Prime 3 scores Metroid out of 10.

Thanks to Hyper Mode, the game is actually really easy because of Hyper Mode. Then again, a person could always just NOT use Hyper Mode. But... The enemies also have access to Hyper Mode, and the best way to deal with that is by using Hyper Mode yourself. Sooo...

Prime 3 is super beginner friendly, and is a great place to start with the Prime series. Prime 3 is excellent for teaching newcomers to the mechanics of the Metroid Prime series and is a perfecr starting point. If you want to get into the 3D Metroid games, start with Prime 3. When you feel comfortable with Prime 3, move on to Prime 1. Prime 1 in my opinion, is still the definitive 3D Metroid experience.

All in all, I had a great time getting 100% in Prime 3, and I can easily say thag right now, it is my second favorite Metroid Prime game. My favorite being the original Metroid Prime. I can easily recommend Prime 3 to anyone looking for a great game to play. Retro Studios has proved yet again, that they know what they're doing in terms of Metroid. I give the game an 8.5/10. Here's to Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid: Samus Returns.

That was long. Anyway, long story short: I enjoyed Prime 3.

I beat Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse for the first time! The game is hard as nails, and pulls no punches. So what do I think of it? Let's find out. This is going to be a rough review. When I do this sort of format, I do tend to spoil things such as plot. Just a heads up, there will be spoilers for say a 30 year old game. I can't add spoiler tags on mobile device, so I do apologize for the gargantuan post. 

The story is very simplistic like most games in that era were. Being at the beginning of the Castlevania timeline (At the time of release), Konami had a bit more liberty to do something different. The Belmonts were banished from the country by the church, until Dracula causes problems. Armed with the mighty Vampire Killer, it's up to Trevor (Ralph in the Japanese version) to put the boots to vampire glutes. That's pretty much it. Actually, now that I think about it... That's the basic idea of thefirst game, too.

What I like about 3 over the original title is, that the game doesn't take place exclusively in the castle. The first half of the game is just the build up and the trek to the castle were Dracula awaits. Along the journey, you encounter the three partners you can play through the game with to make it a slightly less frustrating experience. Grant, who can climb walls and is the fastest of the bunch. Syfa, with her trusty stick and magic spells has the easiest time. Finally; Alucard, making his debut. Alucard can turn into a bat at the cost of 1 heart per second, and has his trusty "Balls of Destruction". Yes that is the name.

The trek to Castlevania is the real meat and potatoes of the game, with its branching pathways. The only 'real' branch is going either to graveyard or the swamp. This is were you can encounter either Syfa or Alucard. But, the real fun is in the castle itself. When you reach the castle, things get pretty familiar. Familiar as in it's Castlevania 1 all over again, minus the majority of the castle. 

While in the castle, the stages get pretty short, but get much harder to compensate for the shorter stages. Enemy placement gets pretty obnoxious, including an absolute ton of stairs. And I mean a TON of stairs. I hate the stairs in old school Castlevania. Why? You can't jump on, or really defend yourself in general while your on the stairs, leading to a bunch of pot shots. That's design I don't like, and really wish they changed.

Most of the bosses on the adventure, are really underwhelming and go down pretty quickly with Syfa and the lightning orbs (One of the three spells Syfa can use, the others being fire and ice). Trevor does have a fairly difficult time with the bosses because of the rather short range of the Vampire Killer, so he has to more so use the sub weapons to deal with bigger problems. 

Castlevania 3 comes packed with everything from the first game and improves. It's all present and accounted for, from whip upgrades, to sub weapons, to wall meat. While Castlevania 3 improves on what made the original great, it also improves the difficulty. Meaning, cranked the difficulty to 80 on a 10 setting knob. This game is HAAAARRRRD. 

When you get passed the Doppelganger in the third stage of the castle, it's on to the last quarter of the castle, and the home stretch of the game. In traditional Castlevania fashion, you haveto travel through the clock tower to reach the Grand Staircase. Unlike the original Castlevania, if you die to Dracula amd get a game over to Dracula, instead of spawning at the bottom of the Staircase, you have toplay through the whole stage again. That's draining, especially if you aren't that good at Classic-Vania. I.e... Me.

Dracula himself, is really easy with Syfa and the fire spell. The fire spell does 3 hit points on Dracula. Dracula can only be damged by bopping him on the noggin. Even though the Count is really easy, his damage output can catch you off gaurd. Dracula only raises three fire pillars. The third homes in on your location, while the other two, are completley up to RNG. After defeating the first form of Dracula, the Count transforms into his second form which is a group of five floating heads that spit something. What? I don't know. The second form is also really easy with Syfa and the fire spell, as the fire spell can hit multiple times on Dracula, draing his health rather quick.

Normally, there's only to forms of the Prince of Darkness, but... surprise! After beating Dracula's second form, he has a third form! The third form, lools like a giant bird. Dracula's third form is also really easy. Even as Trevor. The easiest time I had against Bird Dracula, was with Trevor and the axe sub weapon.

Dracula's third form shoots lasers. That's it. Nothing else. Avoid the lasers, and with a final attack, Dracula goes down in a firey glory. Trevor escapes the crumbling castle, and whoever you beat the game with, affects the ending. Alucard sort of stands there. Grant jumps into the air. Syfa, just leans against Trevor. 

The credits roll, marking the end of Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. 

The game is hard, but not entirely unfair. There are times I did call unfair, but that was few and far between. The enemy placement at times can be cheap, but that's par for the course with Classic-Vania. Swinging the whip does feel really good, even though there is a tiny delay. If t wasn't for the soundtrack, I would have gone insane with all the deaths I suffered. You can take a litle bit of the difficulty off by using some of the special codes that are in game (The most famous being the "Help Me!" code).

Trevor's control is also very reminiscent of the Castlevania 1 control. Stiff, and you can't control your jump in mid air. If the game was tweaked just a bit, I think it would be a little more playable to causal gamers. The difficulty is fine for a Castlevania game, but it's that reasoning that I can also say the game is not beginner friendly. If you're looking for a hard game to play, give this game a try if you're interested in this particular genre. It's not for everyone and I can't recommend it to just anyone, because of it's difficulty and the control. 

I loved it personally, and got great enjoyment out of it. A fantastic game from a fantastic franchise. I can easily rate Castlevania 3: Dracula's Cure... 7.5/10. It's not my favorite, but I don't hate it. It is better than Castlevania 1, so it has that going for it. 

Thanks to the Steam sale, I recently got all three seasons of Telltales Sam & Max games, even if they are a decade old.  And have now finished season 1, consiting of 6 episodes.  

For those who don't know, Sam & Max (a suited dog and psychotic rabbit respectively) are freelance police, solving cases in a setting with is sorta Loony Toons but more deranged (like the aforementioned rabbit).  The series is a continuation of the classic Sam & Max Hit the Road game from Lucasarts, and has a similar game-style. That is, a point and click game where you solve puzzles by interacting with the environment and items to follow the bizarre but amusing logic chains needed to solve the puzzles. Each episode is around 2-3 hours long, depending on your puzzle solving skill.  As a general rule, the puzzles are decent and satisfying to solve (and often hilarious too).  Though some might be a bit too easy.  Generally, the times I did get stuck on a puzzle, it was because the puzzle required interaction with something that in previous episodes was just a background element.  That is one of the main criticisms I have of the whole season, the lack of areas.  Each game has the same starting street area, and then only a handful of new areas.  The other criticism is that sometimes the humor can be rather crude, which is disappointing.  

As for each episode:

101: Culture Shock

A decent intro to the games, though there are a few *finding its feet* issues.  Good, but not great.

102: Situation: Comedy

The weakest episode.  Set in a TV studio, some of the humor comes from pointing out how some shows pander to the 'lowest common denominator', yet it plays right into such humor.  To quote Dave Charnley "Knowing it's crap does not make it less crap".  While the humor is worse than part one, the puzzles are much better and enjoyable to solve.

103: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball

I ran into some bugs with this one.  Twice when trying to use an item on an environment object to solve a puzzle, the game wouldn't let me.  Despite it being the solution to the puzzle.  Weird.  This was also the shortest and easiest of the games.  It also varied in quality.  Some of the humor and puzzles were great.  Others... well.... there is a puzzle based around 'yo mama' jokes.  I wish I was kidding.

104: Abe Lincoln Must Die!

By the time I'd finished 103 I was ready to write this series off as just a minor diversion, but things really picked up here.  It was hilarious from start to finish, great puzzles, and the utter unexpected *redacted by the Secret Service*.  The only criticism was that this was the first time I had to hit a walkthrough.  Despite knowing what the puzzle needed, I couldn't find the item in question.  And the walkthrough told me it was one of the aforementioned 'background items' I mentioned before.

105: Reality 2.0

Another strong episode, though not as good as 104.  It mainly suffers in that the new areas are almost all just recolors of older ones.  Still fun and funny.

106: The Bright Side of the Moon

And we come to the season finale.  And it was.... disappointing.  Not from a story point of view, that was still decent.  But the logic chains of some of the puzzles just didn't seem to make sense.  It was less of 'Ohh, if I did this it could work because...' and more 'I'll use this because it's the only thing I HAVEN'T done'.  And even afterwords it's more of a 'Really?  That's what happened.' than a 'Oooh!  I get it!'.

So, in terms of a puzzle game, Season 1 starts good and get better as you go through, only dipping in quality at the end.  For the story and humor, they start out weak, but do rise as you go through.

I wonder what season 2 will be like?

Just wrapped up Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. With how much I loved Aria of Sorrow, I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't.

It does genuinely improve on a few things, like making the soul switching way less tedious, but how slow it is really kills the game for me. Moving is slow, leveling up is slow, attacking is slow, Soma might as just be a snail. 

The castle itself is also very unremarkable. I was just playing the game 15 or so minutes ago, and I could not tell you a single thing about any of the areas, save for maybe their general themes.

So yeah, really wanted to like this game, but I just can't. It's a shame. Music is really good though, so there's that.

I just completed a hard mode, 100% map and soul completion run of Castlevania of Sorrow. Some of the souls were an absolute pain to get. Alastor coming immediately to mind.

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

I consider beating the league and delta episode finishing it. 

My team consisted of Swampert which was basically my tank but it did get it's fin kicked quite a bit. Swellow my Aerial Ace! See what I did there. Torkoal my defensive pokemon and reason I beat Steven. Ludicolo...I just like his dance. Flygon who I didn't catch as a trapinch untill the rest of my team were at like level 40. And my ace in the hole Seviper basically won the final fights I thought I was out of Muk. I gotta stop the puns...

Didn't do alot of contests though.

I enjoyed it to say the least.

I Just finished Metroid Samus Returns. I will say this; as the game has only been out for a day, it's hard. It's too hard for it's own good. The game is decent, and throws curve balls that weren't in the original. For it's Metroid-ness, I give it a solid 7/10 (Again, it loses marks for the unexpected difficulty). If you're looking for a place to start with 2D Metroid, do not play this game. I'm used to the 2D titles and I was caught off guard by it's difficulty. Start with Zero Mission as a first 2D Metroid. But, I did enjoy the game.

Edited by Cy Dra

Just Finished Night In The Woods (ps4 edition) on Sunday It was amazing 

1 person likes this

I just finished the Jill scenario of Resident Evil REmake. Gamer confession time! This is actually the first time I've beaten any tellimg of the original Resident Evil. I can see all the seeds that lead into the later games especially Wesker's motives in the fifth game.

I just finished Sonic Mania. I made sure to get all 7 Chaos Emeralds for the good ending. Everything felt... Right. The controls, the physics, the level design. Everything. The whole way through the game, I had the goofiest grin. The game was AMAZING! Where's my Saturn version? I'LL BUY 20!

I just beat Yooka-Laylee. It was amazing! Growing up in that particular era of gaming where Banjo-Kazooie was fresh out of the factory, Yooka-Laylee had that same sort of enjoyment throughout the whole game. I decided to do EVERYTHING in the game. Yeah, I sort of got the platinum trophy in... 2 days? Grant's work is apparent from start to finish. The crew over at Playtonic Games did a wicked job on the game, and brought me back to being 4 years old again. Easy recommendation. If you like platformer collectathons; do yourself a favor, and play the game if you haven't yet.

I beat Sonic Forces. In 4 hours... It's pretty short. Not bad, but not great. It's good. I want to finish the whole plot, so I just have Episode Shadow downloading right now.