Shadow

Games that you recently finished

223 posts in this topic

Ratchet & Clank (PS3) - A game that prove that I should open my arms more to games I know next to nothing about due to never showing interest. Surely it has its annoyances, but overall I had a great time. I'm also really determined to 100% this game, and may eventually take trophies into consideration (the 1 million bolts grind holds me back a bit). Yeah, apparently this game did have trophies after all, though it took a while to actually show up. I almost found all the gold bolts, which were cleverly hidden but I found them all myself! Well... 90% anyways. Skill points however, makes me really consider using a guide. Unless the game gives me hints or something, I dunno. I'm not done for a few days with this game, but I'm really excited to try out the other games in the franchise.

I take great pleasure in declaring my completion of the game Persona 4!

Shantae - You would think that I didn't like this game, given how much time I spent on it. Well, you are wrong my friend. I just never had the time to finish it. Busy life y'know. But I had a good time. Fun secrets to discover, albeit too much effort at times which I didn't care for. Lack of tutorial isn't that favorable either, but I'm sure it helps me on further adventures.

I finally completed Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal 3DS game. \(^o^)/

SB_Shattered_Crystal_NA_Box_Art.jpg

After having owned it for 3 years, I finally got around to finishing Halo: Combat Evolved.

Tales of Xillia 2 - I'm truely impressed. All of my expectations, blown out of the window. I mean, Xillia wasn't that bad but compared to this game, it is. They even managed to make a silent protagonist oustanding, by having your choices actually matter. I mean, there are 5 different endings, of which I've seen 3. And trust me, the bad ending here is really, really horrible to the feels. Like, a big f*ck you or something, I dunno. Even the good and true endings weren't perfect, but I'm not complaining here. Not everything can end perfect. Heck, this game even made the characters (which I thought were just alright) way better in this game with more in-depth character stories. Special mention to Muzet, she's just plain awesome. And Ludger himself was great in combat too. He basically took Xillia's combat system and expanded upon it to infinity. Not as good as Graces F, but definitely great. There is at the moment only one negative point I can come up with, and that is the constant exploring of areas also visited in the original. The chapter's themselves didn't last long in contrast, which made it feel more like a drag than an actual experience. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

Here is another current ranking. Abyss and Innocence still aren't on the list. Didn't finish Abyss when I was younger and vague memories, and Innocence crashed on me. Eh, the disadvantages of pirating I suppose.

1. Tales of Graces F
2. Tales of Eternia
3. Tales of Symphonia
4. Tales of Xillia 2
5. Tales of Phantasia
6. Tales of Vesperia
7. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
8. Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave
9. Tales of Xillia

I mean, every choice is ridiculously close to each other with the exception of Graces F which towers above the rest (2, 3 and 4 switch a lot, and so does the bottom 4).

Freedom Planet - Started as a hack of Sonic, ultimately became better than most classic Sonic games. I knew about this game before it came on Kickstarter and finally Steam, because Sonic is still (despite what some may believe) my favorite franchise. Never really had the chance to play it though. I regret that. Freedom Planet truely is a fascinating game, by how much it combines elements of classic 2d platformers and even shoot-em-ups. Characters were fun too, and the voice acting actually sound really nice! I would love to see more games from this company. I'd give them real money.

Pokemon X (well... kinda)

Defeated the elite 4 and the champion last night so I kinda finished it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to play a bit more and try and fill up my Pokedex. I already have a Pokemon Y buddy to help with that

Interesting thing though, I only used two full restores in my entire elite 4/champion battle.One was pretty unavoidible, but the other I could've missed

Pokemon Omega Ruby - ...I don't know. I'm going to be really honest here. Omega Ruby is a good game, probably even the best pokemon game ever created (though I will always prefer Platinum). Still, I couldn't like it as much as I wanted to. Probably I've finally reached the point where I just don't care for Pokemon anymore? Listed a few reasons below as to what held me back from finishing OR:

The game was too easy. Literally none of my Pokemon has been koed throughout the entire journey, except for when I wanted to or just didn't prepare and went into battle regardless, but those were faults on my side. When I was playing seriously, no pokemon has been koed whatsoever. I mean, it's a step up from X and Y with it's stupid trainer limit (3 pokemon gym leader, 4 elite four and 5 champion), but it was still way too easy. I really think pokemon could benefit from either a New Game+ mode or just hard mode in general. Or I just had an extremely powerful team, because I did.

It's a remake. Sounds weird, but I have been to Hoenn a lot of times. Probably more than any other region. That may also be the reason why I couldn't like OR as much as I wanted to: I've just been here too many times. The journey as a result felt more like a drag, as I also avoided most trainer battles towards the end just because I wanted to finish this game.

Probably just done with Pokemon overall. I've tried to play Black 2 and while I could see it's superiority over the original, I stopped playing and didn't look back. The same case with hacks, unless they really stood out. I tried playing a few hacks but I quit pretty fast.

I could list a few reasons, like the absense of the Battle Frontier, and many newly added stuff from X and Y, but eh. Don't get me wrong, I still like OR and I'm definitely excited to try out the Delta Episode, but I fear that the franchise and me are indeed growing apart. I have no doubts that I will purchase and play any future pokemon games, though I'm not as excited anymore as I used to be. And believe me, Pokemon used to be my favorite franchise when I was a kid so.. Hai.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - Eh, what can I say? Like Ages, it's a pretty solid game, though it has it's flaws. It seems as though this game has more content than Ages did though. And also a ton of references to older games, particularly the first with the old mans living underneath trees, and 4 bosses. On that front, I like Seasons better. But something about the dungeons just bothered me. They were just annoying. And I prefer time switching over seasons switching too. So yeah, both are good games I had a good time with (though I still prefer Awakening DX), and even though everybody says they're the exact same game, they're not. Yeah sure, mechanics and all are the same (and seriously, screw that invisibility frames Poop. Can't really accept that), but otherwise they're quite different from one another.

Mario Kart 8 - I just finished 3 starring all cups on 200cc and finally unlocked my gold glider for the 10000 coins. So unless they come out with more DLC for it, I am officially done with Mario Kart 8! I mean I'll still play online with friends and such...but I don't think I'll play much 200cc anymore. Those later tracks were pretty rough when you are going so fast lol

Oh and just in time for Splatoon!

Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando - Eck.

If I'd say I had a bad time with this one, I'd be lieing. Because that's definitely not the case. It's just that... I felt more frustrated with this game than I want to admit. Be it hard to reach stuff or just bad controls and/or camera. And those often came in combination. I mean, it's the game's fault technically. Not like Dark Souls or Mega Man where everything I do is basically my fault and I should feel stupid. And this game required. so. much. patience. The amount of bolts you need to get everything or just the overall skill points, where at times you have to destroy EVERYTHING in the level. It just drains unnecessary energy. I really went for completion in the last game, as it was a fun journey. But here, I just can't bring myself to do so. Maybe one day, not now. Also feel that the levels, while having a nice atmosphere, don't really have too much soul put into them. I do like that how a weapon upgrades the more you use it and your health the more you kill enemies. Though enemies later in the game do way more damage so technically with just the 7 nanotech from the last game, you would have the same effect. I mean, of course if the enemies did the same damage every time, that would be pointless, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go either. But eh, that's just a small nitpick, I'm still grateful for it.'

Overall, it's still a good game. I do however not have any plans to pick up 3 anytime soon. At least, not for the coming months.

EDIT: Revisited Ratchet and Clank 2 a bit, I take back what I said about the levels. They do have soul. Still doesn't change the fact that the game felt annoying.

Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue - What? Don't judge me. Hamtaro games are more fun than you would think they are. But to be fair, Rainbow Rescue is a minigame game which I'm not too big a fan of (I dislike Mario Party a lot). The minigames are fun though, and exploring the areas doesn't hurt either. Heck, there are minigames based on turn-based JRPGs and space invaders! They aren't that good, but I still like them for what they are and what the developers did with them. So overall, a neat game. Don't judge Hamtaro.

And would you believe this game has a rather long post-game? Yeah, I didn't either.

Complete GTA San Andreas. 20 times.

I'm just bored and I really like this game.

Atelier Ayesha ~The alchemist of Dusk~ - I was very, VERY dissatisfied with the ending. In turn, it probably ruined the entirety of positive experience I had with this game.

So I should explain what I mean first. This game apparently has a time limit (which I probably could've known but I last played this game longer than 6 months ago), similar to Majora's Mask. You reach the final day, game is over. Sure, you get a... kind of good ending I suppose, but this is no excuse. Unlike Majora's Mask, you can not go back in time or reset time whatsoever. And literally everything you do consumes time. Traveling, sleeping, creating items (which is the main gimmick of the game, alchemy), literally everything. And I didn't even mention that this game has a ton of side content, which I wouldn't mind if that freaking time limit wasn't there. This is a JRPG for crying out loud, I want to explore and create bonds with the characters I'll be travelling with. Do you really expect me to rush through a JRPG without me forming a bond with my companions, just so I beat the final boss? Of course not! Didn't they get the f*cking memo on how to create a JRPG?! And if it's for the sake of replayability, then go away and never show your face again. I don't want to play multiple times through a 20+ hours JRPG just to obtain everything. And besides, there isn't even a new game+ mode. You just start the game again, and while you do skip the introduction and keep all your equipment, the game starts again at level 1.

I seriously had a good time with Atelier Ayesha, but this time limit is probably one of the biggest crap I've seen so far in my gaming life. If the time limit wasn't there, I would probably even put Atelier Ayesha pretty high on my JRPGs list, aside from not doing anything outstanding. I don't know if all the other Atelier games use the same mechanic, but if they do, don't expect me to pick up any Atelier game anytime soon. And I definitely don't want to play a JRPG with a guide next to me, so that's out of the question.

Splatoon! - I've been playing this game almost nonstop since it came out. I love it so much! I finished the story mode which was actually pretty short and I have been playing a good bit of online. If anyone gets this game, the story mode really helps you get better at online play. Oh and the final boss was amazing! I haven't fought such a epic boss in a long time. I'd love to have some company if anyone else plans on playing online!

Beaten Pokemon Y.... after over a year and a half.

Though, like Dylan said above, it's not fully completed.  The Elite Four and Champion have been beaten (fear my lvl 94 Fennekin  :P ) but there's all the after game stuff to do.  Hunt some legendaries, fill up the pokedex, do the post game story etc etc.

So, will I be playing any more main series Pokemon games?

Honestly, I really doubt it.  

There's three main reason for that.

First, I don't like the combat, and that a pretty major part.  TBC is something I dislike most of the time, and Pokemon's felt like it was essentially more complex 'rock, paper scissors'.  Hence why my team was primary focused on 'type advantage over everything' as opposed to the pokemon I wanted.  Leading to my second point.

Second, despite there being over 700 of the little beasties, the game doesn't actually offer the proper freedom to play it your way.  Want a team of a single type?  Good luck passing that Scissor gym with your Paper team.  (Which makes no sense in the context of them game, when the Elite Four i.e. the best trainers in the game, have single type teams)  And good luck getting through all the areas without sacrificing some attack slots to the moves needed to chop down trees and smash rocks.  Which aren't just often not effective in battle, but depending on your team choice you might not be able to take them all.    Want a team of unevolved pokemon?  Hope you enjoy grinding to overlevel them so they can have a hope against the mid/late game*.

Third, pokemon seems simple on the surface but has a complex system underneath.  That is not the problem.  The problem is that none of it is explained.  Not even most of the simple stuff.  Nowhere in the game are you told what damage beats what, except for the basic starting trio.  There's nowhere to look it up.  And there are so many variables that can affect an outcome that you're not told that it can seem random.  For an example of lack of basic information, you can get vitamins to raise the stats of pokemon.  However, you can't use them to boost a stat above 100.  But you're not told that anywhere.  I had to look online to find out why I was getting a 'you can't use this' message.

And there's also lots of minor niggles I have with it to, mostly holdovers from the limits of earlier games (Why do I need to use one specific guy to forget certain moves when the item to learn those moves aren't one use anymore?)

Having said all that, I still like the world and had fun with the game.  I just feel that the game could have been better (though the first point if more an opinion 'I don't like this, but other smight' as opposed to the latter two which are more 'I think these are flaws'.)  And I'm still looking forward to Mystery Dungeon (though I've got criticisms of that too! :P )

(*Yes, I know the game can still be played with unevolved pokemon, but it will be harder, like a self imposed challenge.  But... surly the people who DON'T want evolved pokemon tend to be the player who aren't looking for as much a challenge.)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sister Generation - From a few chapters that took ages, to a few chapters which I finished in one sitting. Great game, though I would have preferred it if they kept the time a bit more equal with each chapter. I mean, it was over before I knew it (although the Final boss was pretty easy, even with my underlevelled team). Had a great time with this one nevertheless! Fun characters, though I am still confused as though why story elements in this game were different from Re;Birth 1. But if I'm correct, that has to do with alternate universes. The combat is as good as ever, and while a fourth part character wasn't necessary, it is still a very welcome addition. I think I liked the humor of the original a bit more. I dunno, Nepgear is a great character but she has a bit less randomness than her big sis. The humor is still great though, with special mentions going to Cave's EXE Drive and the 'Fake Metalchemist' npc. Overall, a game I had a lot of fun with and one that has, yet again, arrived pretty high on my favorite JRPG games. Possibly even in my top 30 games of all time, but I never made a list so I don't know.

For real though, the franchise might just land really high on my favorite franchise list, and that in just half a year. Bravo, Idea Factory and Compile Heart! You took my low expectations, juggled with them and then threw them out of the window!

Final Fantasy Adventure - I've played this some times when I was kiddie Bokxie, but I never came far. I was either having troubles or just no interest. That changed when I evolved into adult Bokxie, and boy am I glad I did. Final Fantasy Adventure is the prequel to Secret of Mana, and I can definitely see why. I must admit that the game hasn't really aged all that well, but hey, still having a blast. Weapons are fun to use, and the overworld is fun to explore. The dungeons themselves not always due to them being a bit complicated at times. Wasn't really a fan of the key and mattock system, because every time you use one, it's gone. That was the reason I ultimately had to move on to an emulator and play it on there, which fortunately didn't bring the experience down too much. Overall, one of the better RPG's I've played on the original gameboy.

Kid Dracula - A fairly decent platformer. It's a spin-off of the Castlevania series, but it's really taken to childlevels of friendly. I don't mind it too much. Platforming is solid, and the magics are fun to use. Though it was kind of stupid that you had to switch magics with the select button, I mean, the Gameboy didn't really have that much buttons so I couldn't blame the game for it, but a remake/remaster wouldn't hurt this game at all. Or an updated version on the 3ds, whatever fares your boat. Still, this is also a game I enjoyed playing through. The gameboy has a lot of sweet games that I have just lieing around or I can purchase at any time. Think I'll play on it a bit more, especially since my last 2 games on it were pretty fun.

BiT Evolution - This is kind of cheating since I haven't beaten the final boss yet, but I didn't want to make another post. But honestly, I have already completed this game. The developers just forgot to put the final boss in there and instead have the final level teleport you back to the title screen. Oops. And also a stage where no collectibles are present. At all. So for now, I'll just have to wait for a patch, but technically I already obtained every collectible possible and beaten every stage. It's a gimmicky game, and though I like the mechanic of when you die, you get a chance to get back to life, it gets boring and old quite fast. It's not a bad game, don't get me wrong. It has 4 era's: Atari, Gameboy, Nes, Snes. Every first levels of these era's are fun, but later it just drags on. But eh, at least the NES and SNES era have more variating stage designs, so it's something. But they really need to fire that composer, good god. The battle music against the boss battle from world 3 is just eargrinding.