BlurryDawgo

Sonic Boom (Comic Series)

147 posts in this topic

How can her hammer just go missing? She just summons it!

Unless tge shop she steals them from has run out of stock... in which case that shop should watch their stock more...

Anyhow... yeah. Doesn't seem like anything special. Just a filler

Well It sounds funny. Never thought about where she gets her hammer. I'm rather interested in her hammer, I'm going to read it.

Le Boom!

SB_04_Cover.jpgSB_04_Variant.jpg

The new ongoing Sonic comic book series from Archie Comics keeps on BOOMIN' with Sonic Boom #4: Sticks and Stones! Dr. Eggman's Big Boy mech has been refined into its final, deadly form. Sonic and his friends are on the ropes, but have no fear! Sticks has brought her secret weapon! It's a… wait, seriously? Sticks thinks that's going to help? Find out what her secret weapon is in the weird and wacky conclusion to the first story arc of the brand-new series Sonic Boom! Featuring cover art from Sonic art guru Tracy Yardley and an all-new 'Sticks-with-stones-being-chased-by-bones' variant cover from rising Sonic star Diana Skelly!

Secret weapon! Dun dun DUN! I wonder what it could be. My theory? VIOLINS!

Right. Now for the covers... Main one! Love it! It's great! good job

Variant... Yes we get it Sonic. So shush. And OMMAHGOSHGIANTSKELETONDINOSAUR! I'm gonna take it home, and pet it. And call it George. Seriously. Both covers are great. I think I prefer the variant though

Also... More puns per cover than any comic on the stands? Hoo boy. Looks like we've got more of these bad puns coming. STICK to the comic peoples!

(Extra note to admins: Could we get this topic pinned? This seems to be an ongoing comic. At least for now, so it'll be easier find)

The secret weapon is a bunch of rocks. Totally called it.

Just read the first one and... Man. I really like the designs, but I'm actually kind of disappointed. I don't like how dumb Knuckles seems to be, or the fact that Amy is kind of mean to him about it. They're two of my favorite characters too... Someone please tell me it gets better. :'o

Edited by amymist

I'm not sure we can. Hopefully it's just exaggeration because the comic writers are working off the show's cliff notes.... Otherwise a lot of Knux fans are gonna be angry.

That said, I did like it. As long as your weren't expecting it to be serious it was great fun!

(And I didn't spoiler the above stuff as those could be considered warnings, not spoilers!)

But isn't it too soon to play the traitor card, even if they did seem to be taking the micky out of Knux a lot?

So... just read it... um...

Okay... mixed feelings about this comic

Sonic: Cocky... a little full of himself (saying his name in logo form twice)... yeah. Works for me

Tails: By the looks of things, he has a problem with people touching his stuff. I'm not sure if he's always had this and it's just been exaggerated here or not but either way, it isn't a real issue to me so he works for me too

Sticks: Queen of craziness and breaking the 4th wall, I got no complaints about her. I like her character,I like the way it's going with her and it doesn't feel like she's been forced in which did worry me a little

Amy: Amy seems to have taken the roll of Sally for Sonic Boom. Primary/secondary leader and voice of reason. I kind of like it. I'm not a big fan of Amy but this instead of all this SonAmy "OH SONIC! *Hugs*" stuff is a real boost to her character for me. What I don't like is how she seems to be a bully to Knuckles. There isn't really an excuse for this. I remember there was some hint to this but still... I'm disappointed

Knuckles: Right. Where to start... WTH happened to brain? Did it shrink as he was beefed up? Really? He was never the sharpest character, granted but he was never stupid either. And now it seems that has come to be here. Very unhappy about that. Plz fix this SEGA/Archie/whoever

And that ending... this traitor thing. As Skye said, this feels early to be doing that. It took many many issues for the traitor thing to pop up in the main series and 1 issue in here and they're already doing it. And it's Knuckles. At least he's consistent with his working for Eggman thing. Except this time it looks to be a willing team up rather than Eggman tricking him. *Sighs*

My theory is that he came up with a plan during his "5 minutes of thinking time" and this is what it is. Pretending to team up with Eggman. But of course it'll go wrong...

Anyway. I'm rambling. Issue was okay. Could be worse. Could be better. I think some improvement is needed here

It begins... alrighty then, here are my thoughts on Issue #1:

It was certainly a change of pace, that's for sure. I think the opening with Sonic and Co. taking on Eggman's new toy decently set up how these versions of the characters will play out; Sonic's... really not that different from his main game/comic persona; Tails' love of gadgets is much more exaggerated (to the point where he and Eggman will pause mid-battle to geek-out); Amy is basically the 'Archie Sally' of the group, though I imagine some of her more memorable traits will seep through in later issues; and Knuckles... oh, Knux. You're lucky that you're an alternate interpretation of the Rad Red, or I think I'd really hate you right now. As it stands, I'm not a major fan of Boom!Knux, so we'll see if he progresses. And then there's Sticks, our resident loony. I still find her voice a little annoying for the show and games, but since comics can't speak, that's not a problem here. I found her entertaining, and I think she works as a different kind of character from the norm.

The story? Wacky antics happen when Tails' house is robbed stolen by a Mecha-Golem. The Golem is defeated by Sonic and Co, and the house is brought back, safe and sound. So the day is... saved, I guess? Yeah, t's pretty clear that these stories are pretty much just wacky antics when you get down to it. (Then again, I'm not expecting any real character developing moments in this comic. Like, at all.) Anyway, the one constant thread in this story was Amy noting just how stupid Knuckles actually is. This actually kinda ticked me off, not only because Knuckles IS incredibly stupid in this comic (I personally think he crossed the fine line between 'funny-stupid' and 'irritating-stupid' a few times), but also because the comic seems to acknowledge how dumb he is. (I don't really blame Ian, though.)

Thankfully it wasn't enough to deter me away from Boom, but I remain skeptical for the whole side-series. Some people have said that this comic feels like a modern version of the very early Archie Sonic stories of old. I haven't read those stories (and likely never will) but I got enough enjoyment out of this comic to see where it goes next. So that's good... right? Overall, I found it to be a pretty funny read, aside from Knux's moments. Speaking of which, it appears as though Knuckles is joining Eggman! But what kind of devious schemes will they get up to together? (...Does it really matter? He'll be back with Sonic and Co. by the end, anyway.)

Let's see...

I agree with most of what's been already said. I was really hoping they wouldn't make Knuckles THAT dumb... but what can you do? Though the comedy was pretty entertaining elsewhere...

Knuckles going traitor is definitely early, but I'm sure it will just be one big joke and be over before you know it kind of thing. Maybe Amy won't be so mean after that ;P

I'll still curious to see where this whole comic goes...

I just finished reading Sonic Boom first comic.. and I got to say I like it. Evan Stanley's work is awesome, jokes are funny and I really want to see where they're going with the story. I just wished they wouldn't had changed Knuckles. not only the way he looks but also the way he THINKS. in the comic he really is the: "powerful yet stupid" character. they just ruined my all time favorite character.. =_=' *sigh* but other than that I can't complain. hope to see more of these comics, new characters, places, and of course can't wait to see the story developing from here. I know it's going to be awesome.

Yeah, I know. I'm late to the party. But, better late than never...

First, the good:

-Evan's pencils and the coloring are SUPERB. We got nice bright colors that stand out perfectly.

-I kinda like the character designs, especially Tail's and Amy's, but that's all a matter of opinion.

Now, the questionable:

-It's WAY too soon to pull any major plot twists or anything even remotely close. It's the first issue, darn it. Establish some character, world, motive, anything but what actually happened.

-Knuckles never was the brightest, but he made up for it with his undying level of courage and compassion for his friends. He was Sonic's foil, and the two worked so well off each other. Now, it seems like that's been completely disregarded, which is a shame.

Mind you, this is only the beginning. Nobody sets out to p*ss off their fans intentionally, so I guess we'll have to wait to see what actually happens.

Like Hulk over here, I'm also late to the party when it comes to this comic, but in my case it's because I was a bit hesitant...

Because, Honestly, I did not like this comic. ...No, actually, scratch that. I did not like the WRITING of this comic, specifically regarding two character which I'll get into later. Artistically, I found it to be perfectly ok. The design of just about every character and location are pretty good, the design of the golem and Eggman's first bot were pretty cool, and the characters designs, all-in-all are not bad at all. Hell, I got over the fact that Knuckles looks like he took 5 different steroids into himself at once.

...What I can't get over is the fact that he happens to also have the intellect of someone that took 5 different steroids into himself at once.

1474.gif

*Pushes a button*

rant_alert.jpg

I can't say I'm too surprised. From the very moment his design was revealed I knew and was afraid that this was going to be the case. I stated in the Video Game topic of Sonic Boom as much. However, despite knowing this, I'm utterly disappointed in Sega to stoop to such a trope as All brawn and no brain, because I was hoping they'd such a trope.

"Let's make Knuckles the muscle-bound strongman of the group."

"What kind of weakness should we give him to not make him seem overpowered?"

"Oh, let's just make him all brawn and no brains, we're too busy making a bunch of filler story ideas to think about specific characters properly."

Because all giant brawny muscle-bound strongmen are idiots, Right Bane (The Comic Bane, not the Nolan version.), Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and John Claude Van Damme?

I'm sorry for harping on this elephant in the room, but the one thing I was hoping they had the creative maturity to avoid, they dived into headfirst. Then just to top it off, they make him go to Eggman's side because Amy was being mean to him. This is not how you give a first impression of a character that is supposed to be likable, this is how you give someone like Nack the Weasel a good first impression. Plus, like people have mentioned, this is a plot-twist introduced TOO quickly, and makes Knuckles out to not only be untrustworthy from the very get-go, but as someone who rage quits on the people who are suppose to be his friends, ALL of his friends, because one of them was being mean.

On the other hand, I can't really blame him, if only to have revenge on one particular member. There are plenty of words I can say about Amy in this, and none of them are good, which is why I technically can't...

I will say that the idea of Amy being the Sally-figure of this world is insulting to Sally after the treatment of Knuckles. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I have been before and I'll admit that my memory is terrible. But Sally wouldn't insult those of a lower intelligence to hers, she'd probably get annoyed, but she wouldn't flat-out insult, especially not at every chance she gets. Big would most likely CRY if Amy said that last insult to him, and considering the two, and this version of Amy, I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

However, I will be fair: am I over-exaggerating? Probably. Is it just to Knuckles? Yeah it pretty much is, everyone else she treats just fine and I don't have a problem with that. Does Knuckles deserve it? Unfortunately, he deserved the irritation and annoyance of everyone around him due to his company-dwindled intelligence. ...However, he did not deserve to get insulted for said intelligence at every chance given. Will she apologize for her mean words to Knuckles by the end of this plot? Most likely...and given how these shows usually work, will then proceed to do so a hundred times over all throughout the series without apologies for any of them because it was justified by the first. "I only insult your mediocre IQ because I care."

...GAH!

*Takes a deep breath and Sigh* ...First impressions are very important for a lot of things. ...This issue was the first impression of this series, and the characters in them, and it failed to me with Amy and Knuckles. ...To anybody who watches the show: ...Please tell me that Amy is at least a little better than she was here.

Everyone else, however, ...They're alright. My problems with them are minor and, well, essentially knitpicky. Sonic, is, well, Sonic. There's really little difference besides that scarf. Tails is so far my favorite character in this comic since he seems to have a better grasp of common sense. I raise an eyebrow at just how nerdy he was, that he was distracted by the schematic of a giant mech, while IN combat against with said mech. Robotnik is, again, alright. He's Robotnik, there's not much change compared to his game self, except to be such a robo-nerd as to indulge in Tails' awe. I guess that's to be expected since they're both robo-nuts, and Tails really is the only person so far he could talk to about this stuff. ...I do question his scope-of-motive though. Unless this Island also happens to be the Pangaea continent and the only landmass left in this world, I don't see why he really should care about it. I'm not really upset by this, I'm just...really confused. Well, I'm sure it'll be explained later on.

Which brings us to our newest member...Sticks. ...You know, at first, I saw her to be a tad annoying, but looking back at it now with a more levelled-head, ...She just might be my second favorite character. I do like her crazy personality, and at the very least her first fourth-wall break made me chuckle a little, although the conspiracy-nut moments annoy me alittle. On the other hand, one of my favorite characters of all time happens to be a crowned king of annoyance, so I can deal with this. I do like the concept of this Tarzan-like character from the wilderness, possibly found and raised by Sonic and co on the island. Odds are her naivety will pave way to some gullibility, but also to perhaps discovering where she's from and why she was most likely all alone before Sonic and team came alo-HEY, WAIT A MINUTE! Is that way you changed up Knuckles, Sega? Because you took away his backstory and motivation and gave it to a new character? Goodness gracious alive, this is starting to make sense now. ...Ignoring that little tid-bit, I do think it'd be interesting to see what they do with her.

The plot Overall was...Ok. It is a tad too simple for my taste, but since this is suppose to be the first issue, focusing solely on introducing the main characters, location and status quo, it's understandable and I can enjoy it for that. There are a couple things I question though, more specifically with the giant rock golem. (I actually agree with Knuckles on this since, technically, by definition, it's not a cyborg. It's just a giant robot with rocks on it.) For example: How did Eggman manage to sneak a giant golem underneath Tails' house, and considering how large it is, how did they not spot from where they were? I mean, it was freaking huge, definitely larger than any tree, and it's not difficult to distinguish a humanoid-looking mountain from a normal one, especially when said mountain happens to have a house for a hat. More importantly a question: If Eggman can so easily sneak in a giant golem underneath Tail's house, why doesn't he just create a bunch of them sneak them in as a diversion, wait for the right time and take them all out with the element of surprise as an advantage?

On the other hand, I think it's safe to theorize that Eggman didn't build that thing. He didn't seem to notice its defeat, and seems too...messy, for lack of a better word, for him. So could this mean Eggman's not the only antagonist in the comic? Hmmm...Well, if Rise of Lyric is any idea, then it's probably obvious that there is. But if that is the case, I do look forward to finding out about said force.

As for the ending...well, it was ill-timed, it pretty much came out of nowhere, and it makes Knuckles look bad. ...So yeah, I hate it.

Overall: I give this a 6/10. While I might have came into it not expecting alot. It actually DID have potential to be good to me, even considering the simple plot. ...But what they did with Amy, Knuckles, and that ending, just smashed it for me. I'm sorry if I sounded like a jerk when it came to this. It wasn't my intention, I assure you, but I really needed to get this off my chest.

yeah... I didn't like the fact that Amy was constantly being mean to ONLY Knuckles either... I mean C'mon! they only changed Sonic, Tails and Amy a little. so why would they change Knuckles almost completely?? o_o he was far more intelligent than he is now.. and much more... normal sized? I mean sure he's supposed to be the power house of the team but seriously?? he looks like The Hulk. this just came way too soon and I think this wasn't the best decision. but anyway.. I'm going to continue reading the Sonic Boom comics and see where it goes from there... hopefully they won't make fun of Knuckles all the time as they did in the first comic. He is my favorite character after all and he does not deserve all this. and as for the new characters Sticks... I rather like her design and hopefully we'll be able to see what she can do in a fight against Eggman and his robots.

*re-watches show*

*re-reads comics*

Hmm, gotta say I actually agree with the points here, but, though it's hard to tell with what's been seen so far, but Amy, Knux and Tails (and possibly Sticks) actually seem to have different personalities in the comic to how they do in the show.

The jury is still out, but Knux doesn't seem AS dumb, Amy seems far less like an leader in any sense.... maybe a perky cheerleader... erm, that was bad of me, sorry. And Tails doesn't geek out at the drop of a hat. And Stick's brand of craziness seems a bit different between the two.

So, maybe the in-comic personalities will even out to match the show... or are they a preview of what;s to come..

As for the robot, I have to agree with Jest, it looks NOTHING like an Eggman design, so another player is involved.

I thought the comic was pretty different in portrayal as well. I think Ian garnished the stupid a tinsy bit thick on Knuckles to be honest. Strange, because like you said, Knux wasn't particularly stupid so far in the show (granted he was mostly in the background, but still).

My theory for the difference? This comic was likely written when the show was in production and Ian was only given a rough idea to work with. It's either that, or this is just one of his weaker ventures as far as I can tell. For now, I'll just wait and see whether TV Knuckles is the right portrayal, or comic Knuckles is. It's too soon to call how he'll turn out.

1400733_ful.jpg1400734_ful.jpg

(W) Bill Freiberger (A) Matt Herms & Various (CA) Patrick Spaz Spaziante

Sonic Boom is your antidote to comics that lack amaze-ma-tude! Eggtoberfest! Dr. Eggman's sick and tired of no one trusting him! How on earth can he take advantage of people if they don't trust him to begin with? The answer? Eggtoberfest! Just one small problem: the mechanical master forgot to hire ride operators for his carnivorous carnival creation! So it's Sonic to the rescue! If a good guy helps a bad guy, is that 'helping' at all? Ponder this and other philosophical queries in the latest action-packed issue of Sonic Boom, written by Sonic Boom TV Series writer Bill Freiberger! Featuring cover art from Patrick 'SPAZ' Spaziante and an X-RAY variant from the newest superstar Diana Skelly!

Hmm... this one seems to be a very Eggman based issue. Hope it'll be interesting

Why are the covers all so good this time around? Variant one in this case I like better

Issue #2 is up in I got to say it almost feel like they where paying title to Sonic 3 & Knuckles when dr.eggman who call upon knuckles who uppercut sonic which changes when knuckles say it was a joke play on sonic and eggman only for knuckles to realized he help eggman win.

They enjoy making knuckles look like the dumbest person in the series it like after sonic heroes knuckles became that idiot characters who's only purpose is to be the butt of everyone's joke in the sonic series and knuckles cry in this issue.

op3crt.jpg

Yea knuckles did the one thing in the series that I never expected him to do WTF Sega. WHY?

ok... heads are going to fall (imaginary heads) if this won't stop... they ruined Knuckles' personality in these comics!! O_O I mean... WHY?? they made Amy look even cooler and Tails! why not Knuckles as well?? I don't know how he acts in the games story or in the shows.. but this is going too far! Knuckles is my all time favorite character and they made him.. "the powerful yet stupid character who's main purpose in the comics is to work as a joke" =_=' not cool guys... just.. not cool... he's AWESOME in the main Sonic Universe... but this is just... I'm sorry... I don't hate the comics because of this or anything but please... do not leave him like this. okay? if he's the stupid one then develop the character so he's smart. or something.. please.

It funny because in the tv show and video games knuckles is not nearly as stupid as the comic book sees him to be.

o_o ...... REALLY?! what why?? who would? WHAT? Dx excuse me... =_='' I just think.. that they should've gave him either the games or the shows personality... instead of... THAT! O_O I just... hate when they do random and unnecessary changes to my favorite character...

Okay... so my views on the comic

Knuckles was serious? Why Knuckles? Why? Oh wait... what? He was joking?

... How in any shape or form did you think that was a good idea? I can see your point about not wanting to be teased but... really? Come on!

Anyways... there's really not much I can say about the story. Knuckles' "idea" has pretty much overridden anything else that happened in the story

Oh. And Amy lost her hammer. Guess that means they don't spawn out of nowhere like they usually are meant to... which is odd since from what I've seen they do appear from nowhere...hmm... well unless Eggman picked it up with her, he can't have it so it's a mystery

As for the second story... I think Boom would suit Knuckles better than Sonic. That's all I have

So #2...

I feel the same about the whole Knuckles thing as pretty much everyone else. I did get a kick out of Sonic's whole "trapped in a cage" thing. Gotta go fast...!

I did get a kick out of Sonic's whole "trapped in a cage" thing. Gotta go fast...!

Shame that was ripped off from Sonic X's Sonic. And then they pointed it out! I haven't seen any evidence of that in the Boom Sonic yet outside the comics.

It funny because in the tv show and video games knuckles is not nearly as stupid as the comic book sees him to be.

well even in the games they bash knuckles and still make him stupid(not to the extent of the comics though)