BlurryDawgo

Sonic Boom (Comic Series)

147 posts in this topic

Shame that was ripped off from Sonic X's Sonic. And then they pointed it out! I haven't seen any evidence of that in the Boom Sonic yet outside the comics.

Was it? I've never got around to reading the Sonic X comic... nor did I finish watching all of the show.

After a tiny delay from me... here's Boom

SonicBoom_6_cover.jpgSonicBoom_6_Var_cover.jpg

What is that sound? No, really—what on earth is that noise? Waitaminute… is that the sound of go-karts??? IT… IT—IS! LET THE RACE BEGIN IN “EVERYBODY’S SUPER SONIC RACING” PART ONE! (IS THE CAPS LOCK STILL ON, OH WAITAMINUTE, there we go. Much better.) When Dr. Eggman sponsors a go-kart race around Sonic’s Island home, you know that dude is up to no good. The rules are as follows: no special powers, no weapons, and everyone has to drive a kart to keep things fair. Since when does Eggy care about “fair”? What will happen to throw this race into a SPIN? How many rhetorical questions can we ask in one paragraph of solicit text?? Find out in this hyperbole-packed issue! Featuring cover art from Sonic comic extraordinaire Tracy Yardley, plus a new BOOM-Crew Sega art variant!

I think the 4th wall cries every time a Sonic Boom issue is released. Seriously... the blurbs have caught it now...

"(It's like) 1st issue... but it's 6th"... Seems legit...

okay... and now to comment on the actual comic. We get a racing comic! Yay! Guessing it'll be more like Sonic Drift than Sonic and Sega All Stars and All Stars Transformed... still... I'd like to see this one. I like racing ones

That.. has to be the most disappointing variant cover yet. They've just squashed the boxart for Rise of Lyric and added Sticks.

Aside from the terrible variant, I love how this comic is taking every advantage from the fourth wall. A racing story should seem like manic fun for a comic like this and I'm all for that.

While the variant was pure laziness on Archie part we finally get a racing arc that will actually take place in real time not like that one sonic universe adaption of sonic & all stars racing transformed that take place somewhere else. So yeah Let the race. BEGIN!!!

It's about time I did a comic review... so onwards

Hoo boy... where to start on this one. Let's go from the beginning

So we start off with the usual helping of fourth wall breaking. This one bringing up the logo in Amy's speech bubble. Oh yeah, Amy lost her hammer during the previous issue (nice to see the world doesn't completely restart here) and Amy is deeply upset... Pretty sure she normally has multiple hammers but it seems a side effect of her redesign is one single hammer the world gave to her... making her who she is. Wait, so that hammer is what makes her Amy? Considering some of the things I saw later in the issue, I am scared to think what she'd be like a few days without that hammer. Anyway... so after Knuckles pushes Amy to the point of screaming on purpose, Sticks kicks the three boys out to hunt for hammer while she tries to find a replacement weapon for Amy. And that about does it for those two... now onto... wait...

Sticks_conspiracy.jpg

... Who are the target audience for this comic again? Is this organisation more common knowledge than I thought? Because if it's not, I'm picturing kids asking their parents who Sticks is talking about... I don't see it going well

Anyway, let's move on! Onto... what is this? A montage sequence? With music? Is this Sonic Underground (which I actually enjoyed just so you know, so this is not a big insult on my part) and are we in a TV show now? Seeing this in comic is... interesting... I guess... let us move on swiftly. Onto the star of this comic! You see him don't you? The yellow one with no logo. That's right, Cubot! He may not get a logo, but he's still made a bigger impression than some of the other characters this issue. So he's helping Orbot fix Eggman's piece of j... I mean "masterful robot suit"... so does Eggman actually build these inventions? Or do his robots do all the work? It's starting to look like Tails is a more skilled inventor here than Eggman... with Orbot and Cubot coming closer to Tails' skill (when they aren't distracted or complaining). Anyway, so then Cubot gives us some poetry then...

Cubot.jpg

... Then he either gives us more characters which have a place in the Boom universe or this evil wall breaking infection is spreading. He's mentioned Scratch and Grounder (AoSTH and early Archie), Snively (SATam and Archie), Sleet and Dingo (Sonic Underground) and Bocoe and Decoe (Sonic X) who aren't even canon! How weird. Anyway, then Cubot finds the missing hammer! Hooray! He and Cubot have been known to cooperate with Sonic's team! But wait... Cubot no want to give hammer away! Instead, he wants to keep it... as his precious! Uh oh! Rip off alert! And scary hammer effects! Someone has to get rid of that hammer! Any sacrificial hobbits around to do it? No? Darn...

So now Cubot comes in to find Cubot is using the hammer to play guitar (what?), Surely he can talk sense into Cubot... nope they end up fighting over the hammer, and the hammer does not like that. So time to make an escape by bouncing off Eggman's robot suit... with him in it (told you it was a piece of junk). Now we go to Sonic and Tails who haven't found the hammer (of course) and are wondering what they are going to say to Amy only for the hammer to land in Sonic's grip (because logic!). The Archie team missed a good fourth wall breaking moment here. If Sonic said "within the next panel" instead of "within the next three seconds"it would have been funnier. Anyway, so Amy has her hammer now and that's it. Next time: The mysterious power Sticks found

Oh wait, there's the bonus comic with Eggman wh's looking through letters. Not much to say here, but it looks like people are still wondering things about Knuckles... whether it's why he had so many steroids with this redesign or why he's lost his brain, we won't know what that letter says. The Hawaiian shirt thing too... I'm guessing someone was aking why Shadow didn't get one

Overall: Okay... well, the issue was okay I guess. I was disappointed with a few things about it, such as the rip off of LoTR but it's not enough for me not to still enjoy this a little

Wow #3 was pretty good but I do question does Amy get more hammer sonic x make it like Amy can magically summon hammers so in this universe does she only have one hammer.

I like how cubot made references to Aosth, SatAM, Underground, and X even though he didn't mention their names but their description were pretty accurate.

And the best news ever "No dumb knuckles moment" unless you count that one page where they were looking for  amy's hammer a dumb moment.

At least this time they didn't make Knuckles looks like a complete idiot. With that I was pleasantly surprised.. (unless you DO count that moment when he was searching for Amy's hammer... =-='' ) And at first I didn't actually understand Cubot's reference's (yeah dumb me again :D) But wow.. so many references from so many different Sonic Series.. Also I'm disappointed... So.. Amy CAN'T summon any more hammers? She now has only one? (I mean in Sonic X at least you can clearly see her having more than just one..) I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing though.. so let's say it's neutral. Also Illuminati?! o_o in a comic book made for kids?? (At least last time I checked it was for kids...) Well that was unexpected.. Then again I have seen more and more Illuminati jokes in internet but c'mon... I bet kids won't get this reference. I mean I do but i'm only mentally kid (and proud of it) But I can't really tell if this was a good or a bad story... So I'm going to say it's neutral. Also... Eggman's new design.. Awesome.

It wasn't unto sonic x that I though Amy only had one hammer into episode 52 "A new start"  that I learn Amy can summon them from out of nowhere she did it in the Archie comics adaption of sonic adventure but I got in it very late.

Sonic Boom heads to the finish line before joining Universe, Mega Man and the main Sonic series for thier big crossover event!

SonicBoom7-300x461.jpgSonicBoom7Var-300x461.jpg

A multi-part story? In MY Sonic Boom comic?? You got that right!

It's wacky-racin' adventure in "Everybody’s Super Sonic Racing" Part Two: Dr. Eggman’s fun and “friendly” go-kart challenge has turned deadly!  But, really, who didn’t see that “twist” coming?  Can Sonic salvage the race and prove to the bad doctor he can win fair and square?  More importantly—can Sonic survive long enough to return to the race course?! Discover the fate of life, limb and ego in this super-fast story with cover art from Sonic comic fav Jamal Peppers, and an all-new "insubordination" variant cover from painter Erik Ly! …And BOOM goes the dynamite!

Edited by Crossharemega

Wow they reference sonic r I though they forgot about that game since it was a hit and miss title.

(I'll give my two cents now I'm here again)

I still don't know why Sonic is in a car here. Seems a bit unfair (especially given Eggman's cheating anyway). Guess Sonic has more hedgehog honour than I thought... oh well

Anyway, I LOVE the variant cover

Dylan.. I'm pretty sure none of us will never ever understand why Sonic is in a car.... but yeah it looks really cool and well made :D

They addressed the whole 'why does he use a car' thing in one of the off-panels.  Basically, to keep things fair for everyone else.

As for why he doesn't break the rules when Eggman does?  Well, what sort of example would that be setting the young kid readers the comic is aimed for!  You need to show the kids they must always play fair because the secret cabal controlling the world won't!

Except it isn't very secret in this case...

I was referring to Sticks mentioning the Illuminati last issue.  Basically making a joke about how they're mixed up at who this comic is targeted at.

I was referring to Sticks mentioning the Illuminati last issue.  Basically making a joke about how they're mixed up at who this comic is targeted at.

Sticks_conspiracy.jpg

... Who are the target audience for this comic again? Is this organisation more common knowledge than I thought? Because if it's not, I'm picturing kids asking their parents who Sticks is talking about... I don't see it going well

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that was weird

Maybe it's setting an example to adults since they're the one who drive more often. And quite frankly, some of those drivers need it

Sonic Boom heads to the finish line before joining Universe, Mega Man and the main Sonic series for thier big crossover event!

SonicBoom7-300x461.jpgSonicBoom7Var-300x461.jpg

A multi-part story? In MY Sonic Boom comic?? You got that right!

It's wacky-racin' adventure in "Everybody’s Super Sonic Racing" Part Two: Dr. Eggman’s fun and “friendly” go-kart challenge has turned deadly!  But, really, who didn’t see that “twist” coming?  Can Sonic salvage the race and prove to the bad doctor he can win fair and square?  More importantly—can Sonic survive long enough to return to the race course?! Discover the fate of life, limb and ego in this super-fast story with cover art from Sonic comic fav Jamal Peppers, and an all-new "insubordination" variant cover from painter Erik Ly! …And BOOM goes the dynamite!

Huh... kind of odd that the solicit doesn't make any reference to Worlds Unite, especially since this is the final Boom issue before it starts. Then again, this IS Boom we're talking about here, so it's probably not considered that important to them... yet. Looks interesting enough. (Also, who invited Comedy Chimp to the race?)

Though... Why did they decided to make yet another story about Sonic and Eggman racing against each other (Ok sure it was Sonic Universe 1 comic... And sure it was based on the game but..) What was the reason for this? (Not that I'm not going to enjoy it or anything.. I probably will.) Anyway.. I'm excited to see what kind of jokes they're going to use this time (Totally not pointing at to the Illuminati joke Sticks made)

Review time

So Sonic and friends (minus Sticks) are having… what I guess is lunch since Eggman has a clock showing either 1:30pm or about 6:05pm when out comes… EGGMAN! In the same contraption that he’s been in for the past 4 issues. Is this the only thing he can build? Or actually… the only thing his robots can build? 3 is the standard in this circumstance. Anyway… so Eggman is unhappy because Sonic’s team… forgot to show up to their battle?

Uh… tell me Eggman… why didn’t you go cause havoc with your robot? That usually attracts the heroes to save everyone. Also… what evil villain sends the heroes BIRTHDAY CARDS??? Bombs they may be, but they’re hardly gonna trust anything from you on their birthday. Christmas is the time to do it if you want to be evil. Also, Amy… you complain that a card from Eggman arrives a week late but you don’t care that Sonic forgot to give you a present for your birthday 6 months late and it wasn’t even from Sonic and wasn’t meant for you (see episode 8 of the cartoon).

Okay… time to fight. First: send a load out which are either dodged or blocked or make Tails more wet… Why is Tails getting the bad luck right now? Poor fox. And where did Knuckles get that umbrella from? AND WHAT IS THAT BEAVER DOING HERE? Fastidious Beaver is now invading the comic… great. SOON THE SERIES SHALL BE NAMED FASTIDICOUS BEAVER BOOM! <_<

I’m going to move on now before things get too weird here. So… this robot HAS been improved. So that it counters the strategies of the 4 (well… 3. Knuckles’ strategy could be countered pretty easily before anyway). Also… I didn’t realise Knuckles weighed the same amount as a robot 100 times his height

Now… enter Sticks… at last… with whatever she found last issue… that is so powerful the sun decided to shine on it and has stopped Eggman from crushing them all while they are distracted. It was made during a time Sonic had less spines and Knuckles wasn’t on steroids… it is… THE ROCK OF JUSTICE! And I am so glad that I knew Sonic Boom well enough for it to be a serious weapon

So as expected, no one takes the Rock of Justice seriously. Least of all, an annoyed Eggman who is getting tired of what he’s getting from the freedom fighters but it’s fine because Orbot cheers him up with a logo. I’m feeling really sorry for the 4th wall at this point. I think it’s just given up on being there now. Or the 4th wall union is on strike… <_<

So Sticks is desperate for someone to use the Rock of Justice as the crew are having trouble but Tails is the only one who’s actually been hit… poor guy is getting all the bad luck. At lest he’s the first one to finally realise they need to work together a bit more in order to defeat the robot. Sonic just didn’t learn anything from other comics about teamwork. Anyway… teamwork starts but it’s still not working. So Sticks uses the rock…which somehow gets inside the robot then gets all the way to… Eggman’s base? Maybe? I can’t tell. That was a really lucky shot. Either Sticks has a good aim with her eyes closed or the rock has some magic. I’m not going to say magic until I see more proof though. Sonic, Eggman and everyone though… seem to be pretty convinced that a rock has magic powers… okay… so it’s not the first time for Sonic so he should believe it but the others…  Tails especially should be a bit more rational. And I really don’t expect them to react as though the rock running out of magic was like a FUNERAL! (On the other hand, we get a rare glimpse of Sonic with no scarf. See it! Look at it with awe!)

Okay… so that’s about the end and now that the funeral is done, just toss this so called magic rock into a pile with other Rocks of Justice that Sticks found along with a magic 8 ball… okay… so magic rocks are not a rare occurrence then? Sure… let’s just go with that

Oh. And Eggman has a new robot and shares it with an old Eggman quote but we can’t see it yet

That’s about it with this comic. The comic itself was rather silly so if you like that, you’ll enjoy this one.  Too me… I’ve seen better. I think this could’ve been better. Hoping for more next time

I'm guessing this just means that Sticks is a bit... Different from the rest of the heroes... I mean really The 8 ball of justice?? Aaaaaaaaaaaand.. Still no luck with Knuckles becoming smarter.. But at least this time they didn't embarrass him as much as they usually do.. So that's something I guess.. Eggman sending them all Birthday cards? xD That's cute! I guess his more like Sonic X' villain then? Not really brutal or anything but just doing this for fun. More like a frenenemy to them. I've also noticed that Amy has become more of a douche (at least to Knuckles though she did apologize) and now they're bullying poor Tails! Still not seeing much jokes about Sonic... Sure he's the hero but they could embarrass him a little too since they've already done so with the rest of the heroes.

And here's the Boom side of things!

Sonic_Boom_-8.jpgSonic_Boom_-8_%28variant%29.jpg

It slices! It dices! It joins line-wide crossover events: it's SONIC BOOM! "Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite" Part Two: It was just another day at the races—y’know, the ones with the giant spider-mechs? Things start to get weird, even for the lovable, paranoid Sticks, when X and the Maverick Hunters arrived! Meanwhile, the epic bromance of the century is rekindled as the captured Drs. Eggman and Wily are forced to turn their life-long nemeses—Sonic and Mega Man—into minions for the terrifying Sigma! After the history-making "WORLDS COLLIDE" crossover event, Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man unite once more—and this time Sonic Boom and Mega Man X are joining the fray! Featuring cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, a special "happy fun time crossover" variant by Ryan Jampole and part 2 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

Maybe I should've looked at this before I posted the other covers. My theory in the other one might be wrong. But I said it might

So... more bromance between Dr Eggman and Dr Wily and STILL Sonic Man and Evil Megaman with an Eggman moustache! O_O

Did Eggman learn to make the evil cookies from his Boom counterpart and then feed it to Megaman? And now Sonic and Megaman are working for Sigma??? Have to say... crowded this may be but this storyline so far has really attracted my attention and gotten me excited for it

Possible robotized Sonic?

So... next issue... Robotized Sonic VS Boom Sonic?  M'eega Man VS X?  That could be fun...

Maybe this blender will have some fun moments.

I don't know what will happen to them... o_o but this looks so awesome.. yet so disturbing.. And Amy making Zero look pretty? xD Worth reading!! Also I have no idea how did I actually missed it but did anyone else see the reference in Sonic Boom where Eggman runs like a Japanese school girl? I thought about it too much and now all I can think of is Eggman with blonde wig and Japanese girls school uniform running to the school saying "desu~" all the time o_o''

And here's the Boom side of things!

Sonic_Boom_-8_%28variant%29.jpg

This Variant Cover is just amazing. It is a masterpiece.