dimentio1

Shard's Fate?

39 posts in this topic

Okayy..... so, we last saw Shard get defeated by Metal Sonic and left him for dead. Shard was badly damaged, but was at least able to communicate with Nicole one last time. And on top of that, the history in the Sonic Archieverse has been rebooted. So, about Shard. Do you guys think he's alive in the new timeline, or ceased to exist?

Ceased to exist I suspect. While his name and redesign came from Ian's time, his original self came long before. I suspect in Pendersman's time so I don't see him coming back. Which is a shame

He could still appear, probably at the same time Silver reappears.

Then I'll keep my fingers crossed he does

As you can see now most characters have a different background story, specially Knuckles, so why wouldn't Shard have one too?

I like to point out that Nicole still has her lynx form, so perhaps Shard is safe as well. Idea of Metal Sonic turning good isnt original enough to by copyrighted. (Since Metal alreadly backstabbed Eggman, and plenty robots turned good.)

I'm hoping they did keep him after the reboot however I did read this on the Mobius encylopedia which has me thinking he may not.

As SEGA's mandate claims that there is only one Metal Sonic in the new universe, it is possible that the Super Genesis Wave erased Shard out of existence or that it undid the events that led to the first Metal Sonic becoming Shard. However, considering the continued existence of Captain Metal, Shard's exact fate at the moment remains a mystery - it is possible that he doesn't 'count' as a Metal Sonic any more

Adding to what Crescent-Wings just said, the SEGA mandate makes it so there has only ever been one Metal Sonic. This means that the Metal Sonics in the comic are no longer labelled as 'Metal Sonic 3.[insert number here]', and if/when he is destroyed (such as in the final part of 'Countdown to Chaos') he isn't replaced, but simply rebuilt. Because of this, they can never confirm that Captain Metal is truly a former Metal Sonic (version 3.3, to be exact) and is likely why Shard's fate is still a mystery.

However, I have a couple fan-theories which could possibly allow Shard to continue to exist in the new continuity:

1) Though he was a former Metal Sonic (versions 1.0, 2.0 & 2.5), he was almost always referred to as 'Mecha Sonic'. Now, since the new timeline has had most Sonic game-stories (including the classic trilogy) happen, why not have Shard be recreated from the Mecha Sonics of the past (namely Sonic 3 & Knuckles' version)? The only reason I could see this not happen is if SEGA refuse to allow even those robots to be mentioned (which I personally think would be pushing it).

2) This one's less likely, but since Shard's colour scheme was based on Eggman Nega's Metal Sonic from Rivals 2, and he worked with Silver in the (disassembled) Secret Freedom Fighters, perhaps they could make Shard the former Metal 3.0 who no longer works for Nega, and is now friends with Silver in the future? I always found it a bit odd that Shard had an actual 'mouth', but later Metal Sonics didn't, and I could see him being from the future as a good excuse for that.

1) Though he was a former Metal Sonic (versions 1.0, 2.0 & 2.5), he was almost always referred to as 'Mecha Sonic'. Now, since the new timeline has had most Sonic game-stories (including the classic trilogy) happen, why not have Shard be recreated from the Mecha Sonics of the past (namely Sonic 3 & Knuckles' version)? The only reason I could see this not happen is if SEGA refuse to allow even those robots to be mentioned (which I personally think is pushing it).

Given the S3 +K Mecha Sonic does have a crystal mounted in his chest, and they are trying to have the comics match the games more, I'd say this is the most likely way for Shard to show up.

He is in my top 3 comic list. I hope they make a arc about him someday like the way they showed what happened to scourge...wait where is scourge right now? Is the same thing happened to him?

He is in my top 3 comic list. I hope they make a arc about him someday like the way they showed what happened to scourge...wait where is scourge right now? Is the same thing happened to him?

Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing Scourge again. If SEGA is placing a Mandate on this series to begin with, it won't surprise me if they believe the world should only have one Sonic, and that's assuming Pendersman didn't have anything to do with it.

As for Shard: ...Well, for once, Penders has nothing to do with this. Metal Sonic, by itself, belongs to SEGA and Sonic Team. That red Metal Sonic in Knuckles Chaotix? Also belongs to SEGA and Sonic Team. The only version having to do with Shard that you can argue with is the version with the Power Crystal that became Shard, I.E. the first debut of the Power-crystal-enhanced Metal Sonic and the last time he appeared as Metal Sonic before he became Shard. But fortunately that story, and character by Extension, was made by Writer Danny Fingeroth.

So, yeah...Penders is NOT to blame for this one. If Shard ceases to exist, It's all on SEGA's little mandate. Considering Metal Overlord is apparently in this new canon now. ...I'm afraid that alone may just be the mark that ends Shard's existence.

However, if there is only one Metal Sonic, (In which case Captain Metal might as well be a time paradox in of himself.) here's a way of looking at it, my fellow Shard fans...Shard was originally the first worthy of being called Metal Sonic, and is the very same Metal Sonic that has survived throughout the years, then that means that the Metal Sonic that there's now only one of is Shard, gone back to his original side and design, coming full circle.

Oh, and here's another thing to think about, especially you, NMS. If Metal Overlord is Canon now, that mean Neo Metal Sonic, the Original Neo Metal Sonic, is Canon as well. That means, in a way, Shard, at one point, became Neo Metal Sonic.

Yeah, that's probably stretching, but hey, making the most out of a bad situation. ^_^

EDIT: and I just now read the two Theories regarding Shard. Thank you, Nega.

Of the 2, The first one seems a lot more likely. It seems to me that they're going for the Sol Zone being another dimension, rather then a jump in time. Plus, Blaze never even mentioned Silver when we last saw her in Sonic Universe, let alone seen him. As such, I don't see the "Metal Rogue from the Future" scenario happening.

Shard is...one of the few characters that truly is ambiguous as to whether he can be used. Ian still had plans for him long after Scourge was taken off cards, at least.

Once again, I'm the link between this site and Ian's Word-Of-God.

Ian said that Shard could be a rebuilt version of S3&K's Mecha Sonic. He even said he "had plans for him" just a few weeks after the reboot started, but said he wouldn't "spoil the surprise."

Just because Ian "can't say anything about a concept or character" doesn't explicably mean "he can't use them."

So it's safe to say Shard ain't gone for good people

Just because Ian "can't say anything about a concept or character" doesn't explicably mean "he can't use them."

...Clearly he said something about the character so it doesn't even apply to him.

And I'm just as interspersed with Ian's word.

Little late...but can't Shard just be Silver Sonic instead of the old Metal sonic?

Silver Sonic (In Sonic 2) is actually the same as Mecha-Sonic (In S3+K) if I recall correctly.

Silver Sonic (In Sonic 2) is actually the same as Mecha-Sonic (In S3+K) if I recall correctly.

Eh, kind of. They shared the same name in the 16-bit Sonic 2 and 3K, but the 8-bit Sonic 2 version was offically called 'Silver Sonic' in the English manuals. I believe Archie Comics used the 'Silver Sonic' name for the more recognisable (16-bit) model, not only to help differentiate it from the original 'Mecha Sonic' model (aka Shard, the design became Metal Sonic), but also from the other 'Mecha Sonic' (aka Roboticized Sonic) since 'Mecha [X]' was being used to refer to roboticized characters.

Now, if I were to list down all the candidate robots who I think could potentially be used to create Shard in the new continuity, there's Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 (8-bit), Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2 (16-bit) and Sonic Pocket Adventure, Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 & Knuckles (this would be the prime candidate), Mecha Sonic Model No. 29 (aka 'Rocket Metal') from Sonic The Fighters, and Mecha Sonic from Sonic Adventure (who briefly appeared in the comics before Flynn's run as 'Silver Sonic Mk. II').

I forgot about Silver Sonic Mk.II

It appears in adventure but is never actually used [but I assume counts as canonically existing]

I think it's most likely out of all of them

1 person likes this

I hope that we see Shard again. I hate that his story ended on a cliffhanger. I especially want to see more of his relationship with Nicole since they are really cute together.

This go to show that ever since Sega Mandate the comics it starting to get real boring real fast. It all down hill from here people.

Hey, it's not that bad! Sure there are a few boring parts to the reboot and a lot of parts to the old comic which we'll miss or never find out but there are good parts to the comic too! Perhaps try to enjoy the comic instead of just focusing on the bad points

We haven't even gotten to the start of the Unleashed arc yet! That's what this is building to

Yeah your right but what about those issue where we get to see into sonic`s future you know when he`s marrying to Sal and have children and what going to happen now since Mina, Juile-su, and all the other important characters are gone due to the lawsuit and Sega mandate.

Edited by Blue Comet