Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog (2019 Movie)

203 posts in this topic

Wait what?

They LISTENED?

Talk about taking their time in doing so. I appreciate that they realise mistakes have been made in the end though. Do I think this is going to fix everything with the movie? No. Do I think this is a step in the right direction? Yes

Considering this movie is the director's first feature length. He was perhaps more open to criticism than a veteran director would be

Unless they announce a delay for the film's release and/or they start overworking the animators HARD (the latter of which is a terrible thought), I don't see the design changing much from what we've already seen.

Either way, changing Sonic's look alone isn't gonna convince me to see this. I found the trailer to be unremarkable at best, with Carrey being the only standout thing (even though he's really just playing a typical Jim Carrey role, not the Eggman I know and love to hate).

Good. Good. Maybe I can sleep well tonight. It won't save the movie much but at least it'll make that design look slightly less hideous and not make me kill it with fire. Maybe.

1 person likes this

So yeah we all know the plot is going to be as basic as it gets, but yeah considering it was the Directors first time ever, I don't blame them. We all start from somewhere, and honestly this movie is playing it safe for a reason, however I'm glad they listened to the fans. Y'know. FOR ONCE.

Welp, looks like the film's officially getting delayed:

...Neat, I guess? As I said before, changing Sonic's design isn't enough to get me interested in this thing. But hey, this news is bound to please some others.

It pleases me

Pleases me because it means the poor people modelling Sonic's look and animating it got the extra time they needed after being passed on the need to redo Sonic

This is actually really good news.  You don't change a release date on the fly.  There's a lot of prep, marketing, and of course MONEY tied into it.  So the fact they're changing it shows that they think it will be much better to do what could be a significant redesign.  And maybe, just maybe, that someone actually cares about this film...

Well, it's dropped.

Is it better, yeah.

Is it good.....

Okay... I was not disgusted by the design... which with the fur and separate eyes is not there... but it's close enough that it doesn't distract me

As for the trailer itself... I mean... the humour is kinda eh to me but I suppose it's a little more for kids. Music makes more sense than Gangsta's Paradise

Would I see it? Potentially. I was unimpressed by Detective Pikachu's trailer and I really enjoyed that film

Well... they actually fixed him. 
They actually listened to the feedback.

But most importantly, they ACTUALLY made him look less like an abomination of human imagination and more like Sonic the Hedgehog... 

Watching that trailer kinda gave me a little bit of hope for the movie. 

image0.jpg

It's a huge improvement... something that wasn't that difficult to achieve in the first place.

I gotta admit, I genuinelly like the new/more classic design, as some of you, gives me hope, seems we'll see the ACTUAL SONIC in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. Wow. What an acomplishment. 
BUUUUUUUUUUT let's not forget: the generic hollywood-esque "alien creature befriends human guy in need for a filial figure and tries to escape from the USA military while discovering the power of [insert POSSITIVE VALUE here]" is still there.

And so is Jim Carrey as white Blade doctor Robotnik.

And so are the silly jokes (although some of them made me laugh)

As well as the strange reconceptualization of Sonic's powerset: like electric powers (although at least they made a Flash reference that makes me think they knew how similar that lightning thingy is) or the energy-charged falling quills.

I had the intention of watching the movie anyway, but now I know I won't puke because of the visuals.

Edited by ChaosKaiser

The design, yes

The trailer, nahhhh

To me, this trailer is better than the previous one not only because of the design, but because Sonic feels like Sonic. 

Also, shows more action and less real-world stuff, so maybe that's why the overall footage seems better.

1 person likes this

Design is much much better. I mean the movie's probably still gonna bomb but at least the design is no longer an unholy abomination. Good job Tyson Hesse.

My honest opinion? They had a missed opportunity in the music choice. They could have used the SA2 rendition of It Doesn't Matter. Blitzkrieg Bop works as well, though. The trailer is great, regardless of music.

My honest opinion? They had a missed opportunity in the music choice. They could have used the SA2 rendition of It Doesn't Matter. Blitzkrieg Bop works as well, though. The trailer is great, regardless of music.

That would have been awesome, pure fan-servive done right. Although Green Hill Zone sounds in the background when Sonic's playing baseball. That was a nice touch too.

Design is much much better. I mean the movie's probably still gonna bomb but at least the design is no longer an unholy abomination. Good job Tyson Hesse.

I've heard that Tyson helped the design team, but oddly enough, the more I see this movie Sonic, the more I think it looks more like Evan Stanley's Sonic, specially the way he emotes:

tumblr_pcqv5389i01twngz7o1_1280.jpg

Edited by ChaosKaiser

We are 18 days aqay from the Sonic movie release  (At least where I live in Canada), and my overall impression of the movie hasn't changed much. From the trailer; which I have seen multiple times, I have lightened up on it. It just cones down to how it sits with audiences at this point. I am curious is who here is going to see ut day 1.

I have cousins who are interested in seeing it so I may be dragged along... not that I wouldn’t mind too much.

I might go to watch it a pair of days after it hits cinemas. I want to read some reviews first to see if it's worth the ticket's price...

...although I'll probably be stupid/fanboy enough to go watch it even being the worst movie ever filmed because of Sonic. Maybe even go at day one. And I shouldn't do that. I know I shouldn't.

I saw the Sonic movie yesterday. It was super (Sonic) enjoyable! As a standard movie, it was good. As a VIDEO GAME movie? Probably the best I have ever seen. I recommend giving it a watch. 

I’ve heard great things about it surprisingly! I may be going to go see it at some point soon as well!

I saw the Sonic Movie last night.  And it was pretty much how I expected.  Spoiler free (assuming you've seen the trailers) thought below.

Firstly, I wanna say up front I did have fun.  Looking at the film objectively, it’s a decent, run-of the mill ‘live action human befriends a CGI critter’ film.  Not amazing, but certainly far from bad.  What really buoys it up is Jim Carrey having a blast as Robotnik.  So if you’re a Jim Carrey fan, that’s gonna be a big boost for the film.

For Sonic fans, Sonic himself is treated with heart.  He’s different to regular Sonic, but in a way that makes sense for the film, and the core of his character is still there.  One thing that did surprise me is how small scale it is, given all the big event superhero films, and the kinda threats Sonic usually goes up against.  But here it’s just Sonic trying to escape Robotnik.  And to be honest, I liked it.  It was a nice change of pace.  And seeing as the film is pretty much 'Sonic Origins' it fits.

While there are a fair few small niggles I have with the film, there’s only on big one.  And that’s how generic it is.  Given how unique and crazy some of the Sonic lore is, seeing it just be a standard ‘human/critter’ film was disappointing.  But having said that, the final scene, and the mid-credit teaser, pretty much scream that if there is a sequel, the crazy is coming with it.

And that was my biggest surprise from the film.  While my response to the film was ‘yeah, it’s fun’ the main thing I took away is that I am HYPED for the sequel.  Here’s hoping it makes enough to get one.

Which brings me to the 'should you see it?' question.  Yes!  You should.  Even if the aforementioned generic 'man and his CGI pal' plot is off-putting, even if you think you hate that, please, go see it.  Because the more money it makes, the more likely that sequel will come, the more likely that sequel will get a good budget, and the more likely we'll a proper, full blown Sonic The Hedgehog film.

2 people like this

Another one here that watched the film, and I agree on everything Skye said. 

I might add that every time that Robotnik was on screen, my friends and I laughed a lot. Maybe not because of the jokes, but because of Carrey's acting. He definately enjoyed the experience, and it shows. 

Sonic himself feels like Sonic... most of the time. I found the character slightly annoying sometimes, probably due to the Spanish translation, since in some scenes Sonic instead of saying something like "cool!" or "nice" said "that's Sonic" as a way to express emotion. I have no idea why they did that, but it felt unnecesary. The dub was quite nice anyway.

By the way, is it just me or is the movie being really successful? Considering it's a videogame movie based on a franchise with such a (undeserved) bad reputation nowadays, general audiences seem to like it! Hope it makes enought money to have a sequel, because... ohohohooooo, what a sequel it would be... I'm hyped, and didn't know I could be hyped for the sequel of a live-action Sonic film!

1 person likes this

I just realized that I completely forgot to say something about the movie here, so here goes -

I absolutely enjoyed this movie. From top to bottom. There's nothing about it that I didn't like. First of all, a Sonic movie has been my dream since back when I first discovered the franchise. Even when the first trailer with the not-so-popular design came around, I didn't complain. That was the extent of my longing for a Sonic movie. But when I finally went to the theater and saw it, I was truly surprised. If anything, I expected a 'so bad it's actually good' kind of movie, at best. But what I received in the end was a genuinely good movie. Hell, to demonstrate how good it really was - I was watching it with a couple of my friends, none of whom knew anything about Sonic except that it's all about a blue hedgehog who can run, and all of them loved it. They laughed at each and every single joke, despite this movie being basically to the Sonic universe and Sonic as a character. And this is exactly why I think the movie ultimately succeeded. Because it can be viewed and enjoyed by everybody, not just Sonic fans. It's not overfilled with game references like so many other videogame movies are. I mean, sure, they exist, but it's just the right amount to have fans catch it and think - 'Huh, neat! I know this!', but also the right amount to not have other people continuously question it, which kinda ruins the experience. It's 'in your face' kind of references, you could say. I don't even think that this film can really be called a 'videogame movie'. It's really just a good comedy that just so happens to be based on and centered around a videogame character. Which, in the end, is what made the movie as successful as it was.

I truly think that this movie and it's success is the start of a new era for the Sonic franchise. It will bring, and has, in fact, already brought quite a lot of new fans into the fandom, whose experiences of the characters are still new, fresh, and uncorrupted. I sincerely hope that now, SEGA and Sonic can finally redeem themselves in the public eye. And godspeed to them.

1 person likes this