Shadow

Sonic the Hedgehog (2019 Movie)

203 posts in this topic

"He looks like a human wearing a costume"

...huh... he actually does a little. Aside from the eyes 

My brain is trying to assimilate that this film will be real. 

So far, the only thing that has very slightly convinced me from these leaked content is part of the concept art... but, in my opinion, it is far from the best way Sonic could be redesign.
Is in moments like this when I wonder why is this movie even being made...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvZaBf9QQI&fbclid=IwAR3yaQgxSzkZbNdqMjMhkTTTDZXaRWfvK5pgkgDdNTPLA4pQET2OmEcUAGI

So this came out 

Most people in the comments seem pleased with Jim Carrey saying he's the only reason they're going to watch it. Ngl... I'm not totally convinced by his portrayal based on the trailer. I suppose I just want more evil less crazy and less of a joke. I suppose even the games don't entirely do that nowadays anyway. I don't really have an issue with how he looks at least aside from maybe wishing his moustache longer. I suppose there's some story to that though considering the end of the trailer...

Sonic redesign still is awful. But he's lost his Nike sponsorship XD

I couldn't help but notice... Sonic got hit by a tranquilliser dart in trailer despite him being ridiculously fast. And then later on in the trailer they seem to go back on it by Sonic basically freezing time to avoid the rockets being shot at him... ooooookay? 

First trailer has dropped for the movie! 

edit: Dang it, Dylan beat me to posting it.

Edited by Thire

When you post the trailer at the same time XD

Sorry! I actually took time to write my thoughts on it so I didn't post it as soon as I saw it

Edited by Dylan

I loved the part where Sonjc pretended to be a cat. Like, I've never thought about him being similar to a cat!

I need more time to process what I just experienced.

I am terrified by that face. I won't sleep tonight. I swear. 

There is one thing I'm curious about which I only just took note of...

Has Sonic ever actually said "Gotta go fast" before this trailer? I think it was just the intro to Sonic X and it kind of became a meme but he's never actually said it before... and the trailer opens up with him saying it

Kinda sad if I'm right

Yeah, I've never thought about it... but aside the meme, I don't remember him explicitly saying that exact line. 

BTW, the last frame... I honestly like how Jim Carrey looks as "full Eggman".

Yeah, I've never thought about it... but aside the meme, I don't remember him explicitly saying that exact line.

Yeah so I think they took the meme and was like "yeah... he says that now"

BTW, the last frame... I honestly like how Jim Carrey looks as "full Eggman".

Same... and he's in what looks like a Mushroom Hill Zone (I noticed it on my second watch). Which in a way disappoints me more because I would be less unhappy with the look of the film if it had stuck with normal Eggman in normal Sonic world like it was shown there

1 person likes this

Absolutely agreed on Carrey looking like Eggman THE WHOLE MOVIE. Seems we won't get that, sadly.

(And apparently we won't get a really good movie, either...)

We may not get a good movie... but they'll get good money

I'm willing to bet as bad as it seems it's still gonna be successful financially. The number of comments saying they're gonna see it because of Carrey. And Sonic fans will watch it because it's a Sonic movie and to say how bad it is

Heck... as much as I don't want to support this movie I'd probably go watch it just to see how much of a mess it is because I'm that curious. If I have time that is

I will say this as clear a I can. I do NOT support this movie at all. I was against casting Carrey and I am against this! I will not go and see the movie at all. While I can not say I will never see the film, I can say I will never pay a penny to watch it.

I'm literally one of those people who want to see how bad it is, and because of Jim Carrey. It's such a random choice for someone who is supposed to be Eggman, but hey, they got the "mad" part of the Mad Scientist right.

What Dylan said, I suppose the tranquillizer dart he didn't really see it coming (plus it's not life threatening and makes the plot go forward), whereas the missiles he DID see coming, and those ARE life threatening so obviously he would have to have some jokey line, plus a chance to show off. Sonic I think has not actually said "Gotta go fast" other than in memes, and English dub of Sonic X (which doesn't exactly help the case), but something similar at least at times in Japanese, if I remember correctly? (don't quote me on that though.)

Anyway, be it a hit or a flop, I do hope they LEARN from this and actually make a good possibly animated movie of Sonic. (Heck I still wish that the team that makes Sonic Mania episodes, would actually make a full on movie about Sonic.) They'd at the very least get the material RIGHT. As we have all seen before. Not only the art, but the music, and the story too!

Bit late, but finally saw it.

And... nope, didn't hate it.  Pretty much what I expected.

I'm personally terrified by the teeth. It's the apocalypse again. As much as I love Ben Schwartz I'm probably skipping. I'm looking more forward to a certain yellow pocket monster's film. But who knows opinions change. His speed seems kinda inconsistent with that whole dart and missile thing. 

So... I'm the only one here:

1) Not scared of the face (though I agree it looks bad)
2) Who doesn't feel the film will be 'pits of hell' bad and just standard 'cgi+live action kids film' bad.

I'm not scared of the face. Funnily enough the teeth was like the only thing I didn't pay any attention to

Lol!  So you're safe from teeth based nightmares then!

Btw, wrt the Traq vs Missiles debate.  Sonic's speed seems to take a moment or two to charge up in the film.  So could be he's outta charge at the point he gets tranq'd, and full charge vs the missiles.

The face is so weird. I think it feels... off. Like, EXTREMELY off. Something doesn't work. Well, several things, I'd say. And the movie itself, as a standard film, can be fine. Probably it will be mediocre

In some way, we all saw this coming... 

Also, he recharges and LIGHTING comes out of his body. Like the Flash. 
I'll take this movie as The (furry) Flash movie we'll never get.

Btw, wrt the Traq vs Missiles debate.  Sonic's speed seems to take a moment or two to charge up in the film.  So could be he's outta charge at the point he gets tranq'd, and full charge vs the missiles.

I mean I'm sure he could've gotten charged if he'd taken the time to do it instead of attempting to meow to the cop... then screaming... like he made 0 attempt that's the point

I think it's more likely they just don't care and didn't notice the plothole because they needed Sonic to be captured by this dude to become friends with him as that's part of the arc

Well, good news for everyone who's been hating on Sonic's design - 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18527476/sonic-live-action-cgi-redesign-sega-paramount-director-fan-edits

So.. yay that they've listened to the feedback... but... HOW IN THE NAME OF GALLIFREY DID THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING???

Unless.... it's all just a conspiracy....

CGI Team: So here is our design for Sonic~

Director: Hey!  That looks good.  But we’ll still get backlash.  Sonic fans are notorious for hating redesigns.

CGI Team: We planned for that *shows current movie Sonic design*

Director: Dear Lord!  Its hideous

CGI Team: Exactly.  We’ll mock up some posters and a handful of scenes for a trailer with this design.  Then say sorry, wait a month, and release the actual look to the public with much acclaim.

Director: Genius!

2 people like this