Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NegaMetallix

archie comics "After The Credits" - A New Archie Gimmick?

21 posts in this topic

So I was recently looking over at the Bumbleking forums and found this... interesting topic: http://www.bumblekin....php?f=4&t=7415

You may notice that pretty much everyone (both there and even outside the forums) aside from a few are calling this a blatant cash-grab and a gimmick. And you know what? I actually think they're mostly right. It basically just amounts to making you buy the same issue twice, with what is likely a one or two-page difference at the end. While you could argue that they won't be necessary to understand the next issue/arc, to me it still sounds a little bit greedy. This really doesn't help matters here either, as practically all the issues on this website are the standard covers. Luckily, this appears to simply be a 'test' of-sorts, so it won't be permanent (and judging by most people's reactions, I doubt it will return anytime soon). But I'd like to know what you guys think about this: Could it possibly work, or is this just a cheap money-grabber?

Dam it! I was to late! I read it in the Google+ Group of Archie Comics.

So...there will be "only" two more pages (on Sonic the Hedgehog, Universe and Mega Man) as an alternative ending or is the second ending an new story of the Saga?

I do not really understand how does this works (?)

Money Grabber....jeah it is. The Arc Comics are a money grabber too right? Everything besides from the three basic comics from Flynn have the purpose to earn money...

Even if it's not a money grab, it is rather pointless. Certainly nothing to be excited about.

Partially, most of the fun with the Marvel film stingers is for fans who know the comics will go 'ooooh, thats XXX' and everyone else hunts online to find said fans explanations. Whereas, there's nothing to really base the Sonic stingers on. It's either really obvious, or completely original.

Gimmicks in comic books? This must be the first time it happens! <_<

Huh, I've just noticed something about the ad image. Look closely at STH #259's variant cover (spoilered due to size):

Theatre-Promo-2_1.jpg

Looks like they've replaced the Sonic 2006 Radical Train with the one in Bullet Station from Sonic Heroes. I'm fine with that, and I think it actually looks better now.

What I noticed first was Eggman and his lackeys seating in the front row, MST3K reference? That would be nice.

First of all, I'd love to see how the guy who uploads the issues onto this site is going to handle this. Secondly, I'm a little divided on it. I like the idea of it, just not the way they're doing it. If they did it with the same ending, regardless of cover I think my overall opinion of it (and pretty much everyone else's) would turn more positive towards it, but I'm afraid it sort of feels a little too gimmicky for me to truly anticipate this with excitement. So in short, idea wise: I like it. Execution wise: Not so much.

Can we stress than this is a decision of Archie's executives, not an Ian Flynn's one? I've seen in other sites people lashing at him, and I think it's not fair.

The minimum you could of some people is basic reading comprehension, but, on the other hand, we are talking of guys who spent rivers of bits arguing over the color Sonic's eyes or arms.

I'll quote guy from Bubleking:

It is the year 2014. The single extra page the variant cover will be posted online immediately after release and everyone is more likely to just look at that than buy the issue twice.

Just saying.

He has a point. I wouldnt be suprised if Sonic wikipedia had both pages.

I'll quote guy from Bubleking:

He has a point. I wouldnt be suprised if Sonic wikipedia had both pages.

Hmm, I dunno. That could potentially be done on our Issue articles (I'm an Administrator of the Sonic News Network), but simultaneously I figure it'd be something that Mobius Encyclopedia could cover better, since that Wiki covers Archie Sonic in a lot more detail than we currently do.

Either we, I suppose we could mention the alternate endings of each issue, though hopefully, it's not something that will last. I do agree with those who conclude that it's nothing but a money-grabbing scheme.

Can we stress than this is a decision of Archie's executives, not an Ian Flynn's one? I've seen in other sites people lashing at him, and I think it's not fair.

The minimum you could of some people is basic reading comprehension, but, on the other hand, we are talking of guys who spent rivers of bits arguing over the color Sonic's eyes or arms.

I know it's not Ian's fault, or even his decision. But you are right, it isn't fair for Ian to be getting all the blame for this. Though I think people have calmed down now.

Kinda interesting but I mostly feel this is money grabbing honestly. Makes me more glad I stopped buying anyway since I can just read them here. The recent lawsuit has left me in utter despair, I'll only be buying the reprints to show Archie I AM in no support of the reboot, it's my opinion I hope you understand friends. I'm still reading the comic just not buying them anymore as I used to.

I can understand your point. I can't say I wasn't a bit unhappy about all this as well. Besides I'm in the same ship as you, since I don't even have one issue because I started reading them here :P

1 person likes this

Utter despair? Gee, that's quite a strong emotion to feel.

To be clear:

Each version is the same from pages one to nineteen. Page Twenty will change depending on which issue you get. Each ending will be canon, but the story arc will be concluded the same in each issue.

You will not need to buy both to finish the arc you were already invested in.

- Ian Flynn (Link)

So SCANF how do the website published it? The Variant Covers and the story too or only the main story?

Edited by Centaur Man

If it's any help, I can always try to find the alternate endings (from the variant covers) and post them here and/or on the STH, Universe & MM topics when they're released. That way, the uploader(s) can continue to upload the standard versions (with the standard ending) as usual, but you can still see the alternate endings.

How does that sound to you guys?

Utter despair? Gee, that's quite a strong emotion to feel.

I know, forgive me sounding too negative, it's not easy to forget the past 20 years of the comic straight away. Trying to look at the brighter side of it least I'm still reading the book and that it hasn't been cancelled. The reboot's okay, I do like the redesigns a lot and it's the only change that I support of even though I'll miss their old designs.

To be on topic, I'm guessing now the endings to each issue are now simply from another character's point of view or something? Just that they conclude the same way. I feel that somewhat.

If it's any help, I can always try to find the alternate endings (from the variant covers) and post them here and/or on the STH, Universe & MM topics when they're released. That way, the uploader(s) can continue to upload the standard versions (with the standard ending) as usual, but you can still see the alternate endings.

I think that be great help, very appreciated. Unless the uploaders are able to get both issues and place the alternate ending at the very back of the same issue.

Well for the Mega Man series I will buy both, for the Sonic Universe comics too. Perhaps I can give you the Mega Man Comics for the forum and for the community.

The digital version of course, but I do not spend all my money on in, so I choose the Sonic the Hedgehog Comics not to buy. The main and the variant. I don't have a cash cow!

Edit: Wait hold on....is this only for StH 259, SU 62 and MM36 and not a project for the future?

Edited by Centaur Man

Sort of forgot there was a topic about this. If I knew about it sooner, then I'd probably have posted my recent post about it here. So yeah, my thoughts are this thing had some pretty poor execution. I would have enjoyed if it were just one page- no alternative- and showed something for later rather than just being a simple "what's up next" scene that doesn't add anything.