Shadow

Sonic Boom (The game)

216 posts in this topic

[media=]

This thread is dedicated only to the game Sonic Boom. For discussions about the Show, please go to the representative thread. Thank you in advance.

Coming completely out of nowhere (well, kind of), a new game has been announced. Sonic Lost World has only been out for 3 months and a new game is already is development.

This game seems to revolutionize the entire franchise (Not confirmed completely yet though, as it can be considered a spin-off game) with new designs and apparently new gameplay mechanics too. Sonic Boom is a game dedicated to the show that is also going to be released this year. Also, this is the third nintendo exclusive Sega has been hinting about, as it will again only be released on the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. A release date has not been mentioned yet, neither if it will be released in 2014 or next year.

Alright, here goes. Many fans will hate this, some fans will love this. I'm in between to the point where I don't even know what to think. However, I'd like to request that we keep the discussion serious here. Again, thank you in advance.

As stated in the show thread I'm not a fan of the redesigns, especially Knuckles'. However, apparently Big Red Button entertainment is formed of ex Naughty Dog employees, and given their work on franchises like Ratchet and Clank it should at least theoretically be a good action platformer, and as far as I can tell, this is only a spin off, as the gameplay is radically different and even on their own website Big Red refer to it as an alternate Sonic title. So this does have the potential to be a fun game, though obviously I woudln't want the whole series to take this direction.

And since cheery already got a new , better trailer here is an exclusive picture of .. .EGGMAN

tumblr_n0lcgbSM9i1qkqdjqo1_1280.png

Okay. This is probably the third time I've said something, but I'll carry on anyway

So, I can't say I don't like the look of it, because I do (despite what the characters like)

Speaking of the characters, Amy looks as bad as I expected her to look and Tails... well I guess he looks okay. Not too much change besides what he's wearing. That said however I hope all the character changes don't move on to other games. This game is still called Sonic Boom like the show so hopefully, it will just be for this game

The gameplay looks reasonable. With multiple characters I assume you can go multiplayer. On the actual adventure rather than just some stupid robot thing like on Sonic Colours (I have a brother so a Sonic game where we can both play properly would be great)

The show was meant to be comedic yet this doesn't seem like a comedic game. I guess that's a good thing

All in all, I'd say I am looking forward to this game and it gives me another reason why I should buy a 3DS or Wii U

Edit: Oh and Eggman's got his redesign. I guess we should have expected this. Meh, I like his original look better

And part two of my edit... why didn't Tails fly when he was falling down?

Well, interesting explanation.

But I remember of this old show, back in 2007 ... storm hawks was the name.

It was both comedy and adventure.... And I get the same feeling coming from Sonic boom.

Let's just hope knuckles won't be used as comedic relief.

Guy, guys. You're missing the best part about this game... YOU GET TO PLAY AS OTHER CHARACTERS BESIDES SONIC! *ahem* ...Excuse me for that outburst.

Anyway, the gameplay looks pretty interesting from what I saw, giving it a unique style while playing with each characters abilities: Sonic's Homing Attack, Tails' flight, Knux's... er, digging and climbing (I'm sure he still has the glide) and Amy's hammer-spin. It looks like it could be co-op based which excites me... until I remember that I don't have many people to play with. :( And hearing that it's made by former Naughty Dog members reminds me of the original Crash Bandicoot and Jak trilogies. :D

My only criticisms are the same as the ones I posted on the other topic page, so check over there to see them. Now I need a Wii-U... oh, and PLEASE don't let the 3DS version suck. (Actually, I have the perfect solution for that... stop letting DiMPS make tie-ins to the console versions! Let them make their own unique games again!)

EDIT: So the guys behind the recent Sly Cooper releases are handling the 3DS version? In that case, it sounds like another game I've gotta keep an eye out for...

Yeah, playing as other characters besides Sonic is great too. I know if I get the game I'm going to want to play as Tails first thing

...I'm going to talk about the design only once, every other time I need to, I'll quote it from here.

What do I think about the designs...BURN IN HELL, SEGA!

Ok, in all seriousness, I think the designs are....not bad. I honestly don't think they're as horrible as people say. ...Except for Knuckles. I don't know, I get he's suppose to be the bulky brute of the team in the games and apparently this, but actually making him a bulky brute just doesn't feel right. I don't know why really. But even still, there's nothing particularly god-awful about the design. The gloves more suits the character, and the only real difference is the size in terms of everything else. What concerns me however, is that he looks like your typical brute: All brawn and no brain. If that is how he'll be shown in both the game and the show, mark my words, there will be hell to pay.

Besides him, Sonic doesn't look as bad as people say, Amy is exactly what I'd expect her to be, and Tails actually reminds me of his adult self in the Archie future saga, and that's always a plus.

As for Eggman... You know what, I have no comment on that. ...Just this as my reaction:

tumblr_mscgrnHg9i1rlrnwdo1_500.jpg

Now as for the game itself. ...Well, it is a thing of fresh air to finally play as some other characters then Sonic to be sure. The game play does look like something worth my time, as does what little bit of story it shows so far. (Next to none, I guess, but even still...)

I will say that the Dubstep's a turn off, and I hope that's not in the actual game.

Overall, I am looking forward to it, I'm willing to give a fair chance.

I'll have to see it before I give my final thoughts on the whole ordeal.

I commented on the re-designs in the actual cartoon topic, but as far as this game goes....

Multi-playable characters again???? OH YES! YES!!!

Though, as always I'll lower my expectations so I'm not disappointed if the game does turn out to be awful.

Ok so 2 things that have not been pointed out

1)Chris Senn is in charge of level design, does that name sound familiar? it should if you have dug in any sonic history, he was a team member of the ill fated Sonic Extreme, and was the person responsible for getting a lot of the info on it to public, and has great respect for sonic, so not worried about him

2) 3DS version is a seperate version, and is being handled by the same guys that made Sly theives in time, and the Sly HD collection, so its in goodhands

Oh and the Wii-U version uses the Cryengine 3

To be honest, I was so ready to hate this and shame Sega again for another bad move. But I can't, because this actually looks like a truly cool game. Besides the redesigns, this seems to be one heck of a game to play. Plus we've got Chris Senn back on the job of making a Sonic game. It may have taken almost twenty years, but he's got his second chance :)

Well, you can look at it in any way but you can't deny, this is a great move from Sega. I don't have any problems with the characters except for Knuckles, but I do have the feeling I'll get used to it pretty fast. It is just... I've been a fan since Sonic 3 and Knuckles and it all happens at a sudden. Sonic's blue arms might require some time too but meh, blue arms, who cares. I honestly don't know why people are still hating on Sonic's green eyes.

The gameplay. Hoo boy that looks very, very exciting. If this is the way they're going to redesign the Sonic formula, I honestly won't mind. I still love the Unleashed/Color/Generations playstyle but I'm (unfortunately) not expecting to see a return of that soon.

Oh yeah, I heard people complaining about dubstep in the trailer. Come on people, they have been doing this for a very long time and there barely has been any dubstep in the games at all.

The game looks pretty good to me. I guess it's better Lost World. Redesigns are good expect for knux's. I hope Metal Sonic comes back. But if even Eggman got redesigned then... what happens to metal sonic? Can't wait to see other redesigns! I hope they won't become like knux. Still it's on Nintendo's Wii and 3DS, I hope there won't be anything related to Mario. And i want to see characters from the past... EXPECT for chris from Sonic X.

IMPORTANT : New Sonic Boom Details : http://www.sonicstad...chaos-emeralds/

Interesting to note, apparently other characters in the Sonic series will be showing up, despite Sonic Boom only featuring the 5 announced characters.... And the game producers ARE sticking to what happens in the show, due to the whole 'No Chaos Emerald' thing...

So, does that mean other Sonic characters may crop up in the cartoon?

Well the news that other Sonic characters will be appearing is certainly welcome to me. It's just a matter of waiting to find out exactly who at a later date. As for the lack of Chaos Emeralds, it doesn't really bother me. In the past games they only really served to let you play as Super Sonic, usually only in the final battle. Given the focus on team mechanics it'd make sense to take that functionality out. It's an alternate universe after all.

I , for one, will eagerly wait to see if their depiction of shadow will actually be one of a black surfer wearing a red hawaiian shirt.

If Shadow does look like that then I think i will sit in the corner of a room for the rest of the day. Yeah, I'm hoping that isn't the case

But I'm still interested in seeing what the other characters will look like

A beat 'em up style? With Sonic characters?

Alright, I'm intrigued. Looking forward to it.

Poop, I'll need to get a Wii U...

I will be honest.My first reaction to the re-designs was Tails face,but I got used to them pretty fast.Sonic looks fine besides you know blue arms (Which I don't mind),Knuckles has really been skipping leg day (along with Eggman),Tails reminds me of his adult self In the Archie comics which Is nice,and Amy looks like she's ready to go to the club or something (I like her re-design). The main thing that I want them to fix Is the character models they really need to pump those models up.

Also guys,don't lie,If you own a Wii U you know your going to buy this game even If it sucks.

79b.jpg

Edited by Lunar Chaos
: put large images under a spoiler

I , for one, will eagerly wait to see if their depiction of shadow will actually be one of a black surfer wearing a red hawaiian shirt.

If that's gonna happens, I don't wanna face the fan girls *shiver*

So Magnum P.I Shadow? I'm up for It

I don't usually play Sonic Games but this one looks pretty interesting. Maybe I could get a demo....

On the topic of Shadow, I'm quite curious to see what they may do with his backstory and abilities in this cannon since the chaos emeralds are said not appear in this game.

I'm also curious as to how they might handle the redesign of some of the other more popular side characters, say Blaze, or if any of the minor crew will get a bit more of spotlight.

Well, that's the thing. We don't know if they will appear. And since they haven't already introduced them I doubt they will appear.

But I hope they do, it would be good to see playable Sonic characters outside Sonic or the main 4 (which seems to be rare with recent games too)