Pkrockinomega

Character themes

6 posts in this topic

Post your favorite character themes.

My favorites are:

E-102 Gamma's theme, Rouge's theme (Fly in the Freedom), and as you could've assumed from my signature, Silver's theme (Dreams of an Absolution).

1.E.G.G.M.A.N.-Eggman's theme

2.I'll never turn back-One of Shadow's themes

3.Unknown from me-Knuckles theme

4.It doesn't matter-One of Sonic's many themes

5.Team Chaotix-The Chaotix's themes

Dreams of An Absolution

Tails Theme song

Rouge's Theme

Unknown from M.E.

Since the post for the top 10 posted in the top 10 lists are all character themes, and for the most part still holds up here, I'll just post it here from there.

My top 11 Character themes.

(Warning, the following lists contains SPOILERS!)

"Why top 11? Because I like to go one step beyond." ~ The Nostalgia Critic

- Who doesn't love the song about the rag-tag team of abnormal detectives? if they ever made a show about these three's everyday life, I'm willing to bet this is the song they'll use for the theme. It's energetic, which matches the feel of the team, and tells about the team in a nutshell, exactly how a show's opening is suppose to do. But the reason why it's so low is....To me, A true theme is one that can be considered a normal song by others, yet matches as perfectly for one team with subtlety, as it would match for anyone. A theme that serves not just as a representation of the characters, but as a song to be used by anyone for any situation it matches, adapting to be a theme not just for one person but for any who feels like the song fits them. So when it outright tells you by name who this song is for, it's kind of a turn-off. But regardless, it's certainly a theme, worthy of the Detective trio.

- Without a doubt one of my favorite songs in Sonic Heroes, Second only to What I'm made of. Like Team Chaotix, it's designed SPECIFICALLY for Team Dark in such a way that it once again goes by name, and so, can't adapt to any other Hence why it's so low on the list. However it goes into a more detail then Team Chaotix by dedicating entire verses to the three members. Did so with some subtlety, and in Shadow's Perspective. The music itself has a steam-punk feel to it, combined with beeps and boops you'd expect from some computers to make. Considering how Team Dark is connected to Eggman, and one being a robot while the others, ...well, at the time of Sonic Heroes, could have been an android clone of the real Shadow, it really fits well.

- To those who think everything about Silver is terrible, that there's NOTHING redeemable about him, I show you this song, and I slap you with it. In terms of the Lyrics, THIS is what I consider a theme song. The lyrics doesn't blatantly say who the song is for, but instead makes the singer anonymous and the lyrics just fit the situation Silver is going through in a subtle manner. As such, it's not just a theme, but a SONG, that can be interpreted in different ways. The music itself has a futuristic feel to it's techno-like sound, plus it's rather peaceful yet in a strange way, is sorrowful and at the same time giving beats of action, perhaps showing the depressing situation of Silver, that he was born in a hellish future engulfed in flames, and desires nothing but to stop the suffering, feeling a nostalgic envy seeing the past he traveled to, and shows that this kind-hearted hedgehog is willing to fight for the peace he desires so much. ...Or I'm just over-analyzing it, but the same could be said for my description of every song, so...yeah. XD Either way, it's perfect for the time traveling psychic hedgehog. Oh, and just for kicks, anyone who wants to argue and troll against Silver, just remember: "IT'S NO USE!"

8. Catch me if you Can by Runblebee (

and
version) - Ok, I'm going to say this right now, I do not like Sonic Riders. I was never a fan of the Racing Genre of games, and to be honest, I bought it honestly thinking it wasn't a racing game. Zero Gravity I liked better, but still, not my kind of thing. ...At the same time though, I may hate Sonic Riders, but I LOVE the Babylon Rogues. They are like a dark version of Team Chaotix, and like Team Chaotix they are a rag-tag team of humor. I can even tolerate Jet's voice when I consider that he can actually back up his talk with his skill on an airboard. That said, however, what I loved most of all, is their theme song. I couldn't choose between the two variations and since they're both done by the same guys anyways, I put them both on here. Although it's suppose to be for the entire team, you can tell by the Lyrics that it's really just for Master of the Air himself, Jet the Hawk. While it's not as subtle as Dreams of an Absolution, it's not as completely blatant as This machine or Team Chaotix. In fact, If it wasn't for adding that "Jet the Bird" echo on there, it wouldn't be blatant at all. With exceptions, I'm not a fan of rap music at all. The only times I would ever consider a rap song as a theme song would be when I feel it's lyrics and rash mood befits the character at hand. This is one of those times. The first version of this song is fast with the lyrics having a prideful flare to them, fitting for someone as cocky as Jet. The second one is a bit slower, focused, sounds calmer in a way, and less like a rap song, if only a little. Not only does that fit the feeling of the game itself, the feeling of flying without gravity, but also perhaps symbolizes that Jet and the Rogues has matured a little since the first game. Because it doesn't exactly say his name, this is more like Dreams of an Absolution than the first one, and because of that, I lean more towards the ZG version, but both are quite excellent.

7. It Doesn't Matter by Tony Harnell (

and
versions) - You know, I kind of feel sorry for the composers and rock bands who try to make a theme for Sonic specifically after the Adventure games. Because Tony Harnell created a song they can't top, one that is absolutely PERFECT for Sonic. This isn't just A theme for the Blue Blur, this is, in my mind, THE theme song of Sonic the Hedgehog. The lyrics are representative of Sonic flawlessly, and is accurate to his personality and character to this day, and all without even dropping his name or any hint this is even about Sonic. Again, not as subtle as Dreams of an Absolution, but this is a song where I'm ok with that, because of just how they nailed his personality with those lyrics. Both songs' actual music goes for a fast, cocky and cool tone to it. The first one going more for the coolness, the guitar rifts and drums sounding a little slower and rougher, (Not to mention if you listen very closely to it when the verses are sung, you can hear the guitar going for a western gallop trick. Fitting for a drifter like Sonic.) While the second one focuses more on the speed and pride. The drum beats are faster and and the guitar rifts are a bit smoother and faster, there's a whistle of attention at the very beginning before the song starts and the lyrics are sung faster and even shortened. A little disappointing, but it does fit Sonic in that regard, being supposedly faster than before. Tony, I can't thank you enough for giving the speedster the theme song he deserves, here's hoping you continue to rock on. *Salutes*

- A lot of people consider this the theme song of Shadow. Everybody uses it, or I am, or This Machine as a theme song for him, and even Sonic Team used it again as a theme song for him in Sonic 06'. But to me, this is NOT his theme song. I don't consider it a representation of his character. This is a Ballad, a Tribute, a Song of Victory sung by the bards of old that tells the legend of the ultimate life form who rose from the darkness to become a hero of the world. In that regard, it is Darn good song of Tribute. The lyrics stating how Shadow has overcome his past and nightmares, the energetic tone of the instruments, everything about this song screams victory, and rightly so. Not only that, but the Lyrics have a moral within them that says to basically hang in there, and don't give up no matter what, that every experience you have, good or bad, will make you stronger in the grand scheme of things, as shown by Shadow's experiences in the game. All Hail Shadow: The Bard's tale Shadow deserves.

- Huh. It's kind of rare that a villain actually gets an official and vocal song of their own, isn't it? The only other villains I can think of that has one that I know of is Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7, and Commander Margulis from the Xenosaga Trilogy, ...and both of which I question if they count since they're both in another language and both more designed as themes for battle against them, rather than for the characters themselves. Like Team Chaotix and This Machine, the Lyrics are blatant as to who it's for. Hell, like Team Chaotix, the very title is their names. So why is this far higher compared to those two? Well, while, I'll admit being better, if only slightly is a reason, the main reason is how...original and rare it is to see a vocal song officially dedicated to a VILLAIN. Plus, unlike Team Chaotix, and This Machine, it technically doesn't tell of the man's name. Remember, Eggman is a nickname for him. While it sounds like it's cheating, stop and think about it. You really think he's called that JUST because of his body? A common nickname for a man of science is "Egghead" due to their vast intelligence giving an opening to consider as a giant brain, or a giant head. Which means, it can technically be used for other scientists. Wily, can fit into this song if you put this into consideration. The music itself, like This Machine, sounds very steam-punk-esque and mechanical, and it helps that the instrumental is done by an ELECTRIC guitar, perfect for a scientist who focuses on machines and robotics. E.G.G.M.A.N: B.E.F.I.T.S. T.H.E. O.N.C.E. A.N.D. F.U.T.U.R.E. E.M.P.E.R.O.R. O.F. T.H.E. W.O.R.L.D.

- This song is just....Beautiful. Befits the situation Shadow feels in the endings of which this song is made from. The Lyrics tell of a man who doesn't remember his own tragic past, and then remembering that his very existence and actions has caused harm and death to the ones he loved and wanted to defend. I'd say that fits when you consider the Incident at the ARK that led to the Death of Maria, Gerald, and everyone else he probably met up there. The Music itself goes for a very slow, saddening melody, that's also very peaceful and dramatic. ...On a side-note, When I heard this song, I thought it actually fits perfectly with the Story of Anakin Skywalker, as he descended tragically to the role of Darth Vader, broken-hearted and cold, dead inside, thinking that he can never truly forgive himself for what he's done. In that regard, if All Hail Shadow was a Ballad of Victory, Chosen one is a Requiem for a tragic, fallen hero.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAzX_d8DLk - Have I ever mentioned how Knuckles is my favorite character of all time? No. Well, this song is a good reason why. Now, to clarify, I like the Original, a lot. But this version I absolutely LOVE. As I stated already, I'm not too big a fan of Rapping, and Rapping should only be use as a theme when it's rough method of 'singing' fits the personality of the character. With that said, No other character is more brash and rough than the guardian of the Master Emerald. The lyrics themselves show in their own way the harsh independence and focus on strength that Knuckles has, as well as his determination to his duty as guardian and his kind heart. In a strange way, some of the lyrics actually gives me a mystic feel to it. Makes me feel like it's also referring to the Comic Knuckles as well. The music is festive and full of heat and strength, helped with the addition of a little jazz into it. One of the major reasons this is on the list instead of the original is, ...like how It doesn't matter was faster and shortened compared to the original, this is actually the exact opposite, an extension of the original. Also like Sonic's theme, it represents Knuckles trait of getting better and stronger, just as how Sonic gets faster.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKS4duPqNyo - I never considered All Hail Shadow, I Am, This Machine, or Chosen One the theme for Shadow. So what DO I consider his theme? Why, the very first song representing him, of course. Like Dreams of an Absolution, It's subtle in what it's pointed to and represents. No names, no hints, nothing that directly points to Shadow when you hear this. You just hear it and the lyrics, and without any arrows, you just know, this is Shadow. It only has one verse, and the rest of the lyrics is the Chorus simply repeated. But oddly enough, that's all that's needed. Just a verse, a chorus, and an echo is enough to tell you what's going through the mind of the dark hedgehog. Shadow is somebody who doesn't care what is in his way, what he has to do to get what he wants, and is willing to complete his objective by any means necessary. It was true back when he first debut in Sonic Adventure 2, and it's true now. It's true in the games he started out in, and it's true in the comics. His dark past is still there no matter if he ignores it or not, and, let's face it, he's also somewhat immortal. The rest of his story and personality is told by the music itself. A dark aggressive rock, but with a hauntingly pleasant melody merged in near the end, representing that haunting past that's still within his memories. THIS, is Shadow's theme song. Always has been, always will be in my mind.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8TxnuOia5w - ...Ironically, The number one choice is the one I'm going to have trouble explaining. The best way to describe it is that....it doesn't feel like a song you'd hear in a video game, It sounds more like a song I'd actually use as a theme for one of my characters. A song you'd hear in a rock concert of some kind. It makes me want to see what other songs this band made. It's lyrics are frankly tied with Powerman 5000's Almost dead with being the darkest lyrics in the Sonic series. It's befitting of Debating battle between the Dark Queen and Sonic about whether or not a world should be eternal or come to an end. The music Is excellent, filled with guitar rifts both rough and smooth, and has a similar rhythm at times to Merlina's Theme, creating the idea that it may be the theme of the Dark Queen herself. Honestly, that doesn't make sense since her philosophy was that the world should be without end. But regardless of who its for, the lyrics and the music of this is by far some of the best I've ever heard. A relatively dark song for a relatively dark villain and philosophy.

1 person likes this

Since the post for the top 10 posted in the top 10 lists are all character themes, and for the most part still holds up here, I'll just post it here from there.

My top 11 Character themes.

>With Me by All Ends is #1

Good taste.

Edited by Pkrockinomega