Prelate

What operating system do you use

Which operating system do you use?   28 votes

1. 1. What operating system do you prefer the most?

• Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Linux
    • Mac OS
    • Windows 10
    • Other (post below)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

I really enjoy the speed, customization, and security of Linux. Additionally, it has great opportunity for "ricing," (although that term may have roots in a racial slur, citation needed). You can use a variety of desktop environments, the most popular being KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and LXDE, but also an even larger amount of window managers, my all-time favorite being the Awesome window manager. At the advice of NeKit, I started using Gentoo and have settled on it as my distribution of choice for a year or so now, though I still use other distros for special purposes (networking, generally).

That said, Windows 7 is pretty nice, aside from the price and the insecurity of it being proprietary, which really doesn't affect most of us, for gaming. For all except the high-end games, I run it in a virtual machine for any time I want to play/read a game. Compared to earlier versions, it's much nicer and has very good security features, though irritatingly the home editions don't have a group policy console or the like. Windows 8, from what I've tried of it, isn't too bad for most users, but it's pretty insecure. It's tough to find a way to actually shut it down, and any organizational work on it is a hassle.

To those of you running Windows XP: you should be very careful, it's not very secure. Microsoft is only providing support until April 2014, so less than a year, so if some sort of remote exploit comes out after that, you're almost sure to get something bad very often.

1 person likes this

I don't think there are going to be many likes for Windows Vista

You don't seem to understand . Microsoft always mess up one Os out of two . For experimentation purposes I suppose ....

A friend of mine is asking how long actually .

You might be booting on a ssd then .

But it doesn't save the fact That the compatibility with many software is still quite Random . For now .

I'd eather not indeed , And I won't force you either :)

But if Were you, I'd wait for a service pack or two before going back there :3

I'll just stick with 7 until I decide to make a partition with XP in it.

Windows 8 is just not my kind of OS.

Thing is , they kinda shoved it up our mouth, That is what made people angry ... they did not want to buy window 8 if it was made specificaly for tablet . They wanted a computer OS , not an ipad.

They better not . After all , portable can only go so far. Beside. playing a game with a touch screen suck . And last but not least , Most of the people playing or using their computer for longer than 2 hours often eat in front of their screen . I'll let you do the math.

And that's why nobody is using it . Seriously , yoj can't even install window 7 near it .

It no trash . there is a key in the bios . To install a new os , you basically have to take out the Hard disl ,format it , and install windows 7 via another pc connected to the hard drive .

Cogratulation microsoft , You did the second most awful drm since Starforce.

Yay indeed for my 600th post.

Also, I'm not sure about what kind of key it is exacty . What I know is that it mess up any chance of installing windows 7 in another partition.

It was safer . Thing is , it as something to do with the way Windows 8 uses the HD .