Shadow

General Anime/Manga Thread

121 posts in this topic

Fullmetal_Alchemist_by_kichigai.jpg

Hey guys, welcome to the General Anime/Manga Thread. Here you can discuss anything related to Anime and Manga! Enjoy :)

-------

I myself still have alot of animes on my to-watch list. I'm currently watching the first FullMetal Alchemist, and I'll proceed with Brotherhood after that. After that, I'm going to watch To Aru Majatsu No Index and then I'll see what happens hee hee :3 I'm pretty busy most of the time because of school and work so I take my time.

I suppose we should start this off with explaining our places in regards to both.

I love Anime and Manga, and usually when I'm making RPs, I always picture it in the same style as Anime and Manga. I honestly wish that the novel I'm working on would be made into a Manga series.

In terms of my Anime list... I will admit I haven't watched alot of Anime recently. Mostly because I just haven't had the time to focus on watching an anime from beginning to end. But what I have watched is as followed.

- Bleach (From beginning to the beginning of the Ulquiorra fight, mostly because at that point, I couldn't find any proper vids of the episodes, and I just gave up. Might start back up when I feel like it)

- Naruto (From Beginning up to the trials. Then I just lost interest)

- One Piece (From beginning, right up to the desert. Then, I just stopped watching for some reason. Like with Bleach, I may start back up. again with it.)

- Dragon Ball/Z/GT

Digimon Adventures 01/02/Tamers/Frontier/Savers (Or Digimon Data squad)

- Tenchi Muyo/Universe/In Tokyo/Ryo-Ohki/GXP/The 3 Movies (By far my favorite Comedy anime. I love just about everything about this show. (Well, Except for much of GXP and the Third movie, they were just alright.) The protagonists were awesome, and villains were awesome, (...Well, except Tokyo's villain.) The very mythology of this universe is excellent. I heard they're making a new sub-series like GXP, and that will probably be on my to-watch list as well)

- Power Stone (Am I the only one who notices that Video Game adapted Animes have much better luck than movie adaptations? Case-in-point, Power Stone, based off the Fighting Game of the same name from the Sega Dreamcast. It was a short series, but understandably so. There's not much they can do outside the source material. My only complaint is that they never made one for the second game of the series.)

- Sonic X (I think this is a no-brainer.)

- Fairy Tail (Watched from the beginning, and only made it past the battle with Lexus. Then It was just a waiting to complete the other arc, but...well... "I SLEPT TOO LOOONG!" Definitely will get back into it once I have the time.)

- Soul Eater

- Katekyo Hitman Reborn

- Majin Tentei Nougami Neuro

- Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

- Persona 4 the Animation (Yet another Game-turned-Anime, and it happens to be of one of my favorite games of all time.)

- Devil May Cry

- Hellsing Ultimate

- Code Geass R1/R2

To be watched list:

- Hellsing

- Sword Arts Online

- Full Metal Alchemist/FMA: Brotherhood

- Fate/Stay night

- Gintama

- Persona 3 anime movies

- The Rest of Fairy Tail

- The Rest of One Piece

- Tenchi Muyo- War on Geminar

- Digimon Xros wars (Or Digimon Fusion)

And more will probably be added as time passes.

I have only recently gotten into the idea of animes and manga and I am planning on watching animes when I get the time. Unfortunately, school will be getting in the way of that and I won't have much time. So far I have only seen Sonic X and parts of other random animes that I don't remember the name of. Overall I have enjoyed them though

By the way Jest, There IS NO DB GT . Just saying.

Ah, anime. My life, my love. Partially. I've seen a lot of anime in my life, but I've probably read more manga.

Strictly in terms of anime, the ones I've watched in the past few years and rather liked were:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (AKA Ano Hana)

Azumanga Daioh

Bokurano

Chu-Bra

Fortune Arterial

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (AKA Higurashi: When they Cry)

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Death Note

Kino no Tabi (AKA Kino's Journey)

Mardock Scramble (well, the first two movies, and the light novel)

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (AKA Oreimo)

Eden of the East

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Clannad

Air

Senyuu

Welcome to the NHK!

Youjou-han Shinwa Taikei

Zero no Tsukaima

The ones I'm watching from this season are:

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Kin-iro Mosaic

Watamote

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai (Third season)

Of course, those were the only ones I've watched recently which I can review favorably/remember.

On the manga front, I've read a bunch of minor ones back in my days of clicking the "Random" button on a manga reader website, and many of the anime I've seen I've read the manga of first.

There are also two other media you should be aware of: The Novels Light and Visual.

First off, there are some great works exclusive to the medium of light novels. I'll admit, I basically just browsed around Baka-Tsuki, but the ones I can review favorably are:

A Simple Survey

Gekkou

Sword Art Online (which I would greatly recommend over the anime due to the increased amount of details and a more supported theme)

Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made (an extremely cheerful novel about the apocalypse)

and finally, one of my personal favorite light novels, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.

The visual novels also have some very nice offerings: (although the market is largely satured with ero-games; but then, isn't everything?)

Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni (by 07th Expansion, same guys who made Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, both which I cannot recommend enough. They are easily one of the most clever things I've ever watched/played/read)

Ever17: The Out of Infinity (Not sure if I got the title right, but I've played it and it's good, and I've heard the rest of the Infinity series is good. A similar game by some of the same writers had a formal Nintendo DS release: "9/9/9: 9 Persons, 9 Doors, 9 somethings.")

Saya no Uta, an insane game with Gen Urobuchi (probably most well-known for Puella Magi Madoka Magica) as the writer.

Rewrite

Narcissu

There were also some western, but nevertheless eastern-styled visual novels: Digital: A Love Story, Analogue: A Hate Story, "don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story." It'd be foolish not to include the famous 4chan visual novel, Katawa Shoujo, which is of surpassing quality despite what some might expect. Dischan has developed a demo of Cradle Song, which I'd like to play once it's out.

So that's basically my immediate experience with Japanese literature and such.

Ah yes, katawa shoujo. This was a surprise like none other, coming from what everyone was used to call, the backalley of internet... it had probably the most respectful recreation of disabled people I have ever seen in a video game. And I know there aren't many. They had feeling, they were all that lovable, and it gave you the need to go on with their own storyline.

Thank you, katawa Shoujo.

I just finished watching all, and I do mean ALL, of the Megaman NT Warrior, Megaman NT Warrior Axess, Rockman EXE Stream, Rockman EXE Beast and Rockman EXE beast+ episodes. Only Megaman NT Warrior and Megaman NT Warrior Axess were in English, with the other three being in Japanese and only about half of those having English subtitles. After about a month of watching it all I'm now used to watching shows in a language that I can't really understand. On that topic, I now know how to say 'sword' in Japanese.

1 person likes this

You , Lady , deserve some kind of respect . I wanted to do the same with all the .Hack anime , but my external HDd doesn't work anymore....

I just finished watching all, and I do mean ALL, of the Megaman NT Warrior, Megaman NT Warrior Axess, Rockman EXE Stream, Rockman EXE Beast and Rockman EXE beast+ episodes. Only Megaman NT Warrior and Megaman NT Warrior Axess were in English, with the other three being in Japanese and only about half of those having English subtitles. After about a month of watching it all I'm now used to watching shows in a language that I can't really understand. On that topic, I now know how to say 'sword' in Japanese.

It's amazing how many words you can pick up in Japanese, given there are subtitles and the use the word in many different cases.

Probably the fact that If a word is used Several time, One might get His signification. Learning is always great.

Anime's practically my life <3 <3 <3

Obviously grew up with Pokemon (who hasn't?...K Pokemon haters xD) , Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, even most of the Tenchi ones! Tenchi Universe was my all time favorite! I kinda hated GXP though -_-

then later on it was Yu-Gi-Oh! and of course the famous Sonic X ^_^ soon it was the other YGO spin offs (minus Zexal), Death Note, Bleach (but got tired of it later on...), Full Metal Alchemist and Brotherhood (but I seem to prefer the first anime WAY better, the other one didn't seem all that convincing. I liked the ending for that one though :D ). Let's see, there was also Black Butler, Hetalia, Ouran HSHC, Code Geass (that Anime's AMAZING OMG!!), Fruits Basket (my ultimate favorite!), Vampire Knight, Deadman Wonderland (CRAZY VIOLENT Anime, but it's too awesome O.O it's kind of on hiatus though), and lastly Eureka Seven (my other ultimate favorite!)

Haven't watched any more since Eureka Seven, which was just weeks ago. Not sure what other anime to watch next. :lol:

Mangas, not much but I've read Full Moon O SagaPoope, Q.Ko-Chan, Yotsuba&!, Fruits Basket (it's alot longer than the anime so...), Kitchen Princess, and Yu-Gi-Oh! R.

There ya have it ^_^

Welp. To bring new life to this thread, let's start a discussion yay!

Actually, I finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood today and this is, by far, my favourite anime of all time. The story was amazing. It was deep, emotional and at some points hilarious (referring to Ed's shortness). It could easily change the point of view for several people on subjects like life itself though, so I wouldn't advise it to kiddies. The intro's and endings were amazing. Not only did they have great music, but they also tell the plot and what's going to happen in the coming episodes.

The characters themselves were my favourite part. Mainly because literally EVERY character had a purpose within the story. If one would be missing, the entire plot could change. Even silly Yoki had his important moments. And the personality of most characters were great too, to the point where you become sad and tears roll out of your eyes because they turn out to be dead or missing in any way.

I loved this anime, I could easily watch it again and again and again... But I don't have any time for that due to me always being busy.

Oh, and Brotherhood even gave me a new favourite Japanese song:

http://youtu.be/4wAskSI4c7I

Just... Perfect.

I've heard good things about FMA, I have got to check it out sometimes.

I finished Rewrite after about 6 months of playing. It was definitely one of the best visual novels I've ever played, but what do you expect from a Key work with collaboration from 7th Expansion and Type-Moon? It's like Visual Novel All-Stars: Melee.

Have you all checked out this season's shows? It's pretty awesome.

Samurai Flamenco shows potential. Golden Time is a romantic comedy, but the characters are actually realistic subversions of popular tropes. Banri has amnesia, which is a typical excuse to explain why he has no social relations, and so you'll know as much as he does; however, he actually has to deal with his past in a non-cliche way. The yandere stalker actually has character depth, and the poor target of her stalking, Mitsuo, actually has his own personality problems. It's a nice refresher to see characters make logical decisions and be driven by actual human desires instead of the extremely unnatural conversations in most romantic comedies.

Kill la Kill is, depending on who you are, either extremely shallow fanservice or extremely deep fanservice.

Coppelion is great, but it could be better. It may improve.

Unfortunately, I haven't watched any of those, I'm still kind of a 'newbie' when it comes to anime, only having watched the most famous anime or the most childhood like. For example Pokemon, Hamtaro, DBZ and FMA. I do plan on getting more into anime if time allows me to. Next on my list might be Sword Art Online, due to it being only 25 episodes long so I'll be able to watch it easily. I heard some negative reactions on the anime but on the other hand, I heard some pretty positive too. So I guess I'll just have to see for myself. To aru Majatsu no Index/Kagaku no Railgun is also on my to watch list, but is a bit longer so I might consider that one for winter/summer break.

Sword-Art-Online-Wallpaper.jpg

I think I complained about it earlier, but the light novels are better, although now you can probably only find the first 3 volumes for free on p2p networks because of their recent licensing in the U.S(!). The anime is also very good, and it's actually a pretty good representation of the anime scene at this time, both the good parts and bad.

Many people have complained about SAO being bad in general, but largely it seems to be confined mainly to 'because it's popular.'

Also, unless you're talking about the very popular and old anime, it's actually pretty rare to see an anime have more than 26 episodes (one season). Heck, even Puella Magi Madoka Magica had half a season, so in anime, 25 episodes is not really considered short, though SAO will probably get at least one more season. Good luck watching it, tell us how you like it.

Well, there we go, I finished SAO. And I must say, I'm far from dissapointed.

It was a good anime to watch. I didn't like it as much as FMA (not even close maybe) but I felt my time being good spent. The main reason people complain about SAO is the second part starring Alfheim Online. And those people are only half correct. Yes, the second part was not as good as the first part in Sword Art Online, but it definitely wasn't bad. Far from that. Some characters do lack a bit of interest though, but I can look past that. And I'm soooo jealous of Kirito and Asuna their relationship. Why can I never have a relationship like that D:

And my second favorite song also comes from this anime. Well, rather said the nightcore version, but I still love the original too.

[media=]

In the meantime, I have finished 2 more anime. And most of you know which ones I'm talking about: To aru Majutsu no Index and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.

First off, Index. I really enjoyed watching it but I can't deny some flaws it has, roaming from connections in story and some of the characters not having enough introduction. I'm trying to keep it as spoiler free as possible, but I can't guarantee. The anime is split up in different arcs. The problem I think it has here is that they move on to a new arc with the old one being partly finished but leaving some open questions. Probably this is better worked out in the manga or eventually a third season (I'm expecting it to happen due to an open end). Second point, the characters not having enough introduction. There is this guy who tells you he is part of something, boom episode ends. All fine and everything but I didn't know enough about the person in case to actually care. Aside from those two points, I can rank this as a pretty solid anime worth watching.

Second, Railgun. At first I had a kind of mixed opinion after watching the openings. Mechs, ''aliens'' (that was what I imagined, but was false fortunately), those just don't have any interest to me. Fortunately I was wrong on both of those cases. Railgun turned out far better then I could have ever expected. I also consider it better than the original, despite it not having Last Order. The arcs were far better connected, resulting into a more fluently and overall more interesting story. The characters were also far more loveable, though still having slightly less but still present issue of not enough introduction. And the ending was absolutely fenominal. It doesn't really matter which of the anime you watch first, though you might miss some references if you watch Railgun S (second season of railgun) first. But I would definitely recommend this anime.

http://youtu.be/6IZPZ4kWQP8

My watched list:

(Dragon Ball / DBZ / DBGT)

Naruto Shippuden "I only follow manga"

Sonic X

All of Digimon Adventure / 02 / Tamers / Savers / Xros Wars

Some of Pokemon XY but i lost interest in it cause nothing but Pokemons change.

I don't have any Going-to watch anime for now. I guess I'm still new to animes.

ShaDuck1: I assume you've also seen or played Danganronpa, judging by your signature?

Recently I did a fun marathon of movies with a friend.

Berserk movies 1&2, Eva 2.22, Batman: Under the Red Hood (not anime, yes but...)

I forgot how sweet the animation (when it's not CG) can be in the Berserk movies, although I still frown that they skipped Guts' childhood >:

Well, a new season begins again. Any shows you guys are looking forward to (For the record, you can check out anichart.net/spring or neregate.com/blog/2014/01/15/spring-2014-anime/) ?

Atelier Escha & Logy ~Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi~ Probably has the most interest for me. Alchemy, world is coming to an end, you name it and I might like it.

HappinessCharge Precure!Probably too... Sometimes I just want something crazy to watch, even if it's a kid show :3

Hitsugi no Chaika Has an interesting cover photo, but I'll have to look into it more. But it caught my interest nonetheless.

Mahou Shoujo Taisen Will probably be an instant watch for me.

Seikoku no Dragonar also looks pretty interesting.

That's it I guess :3 At least, those are the most interesting looking ones which I will give a try most likely.

Off topic, I also heard that this month will be To Aru Majutsu no Index's 10th anniversary so I'm crossing my fingers for an announcement. I so hope there will be a third season or probably To Aru Kagaku no Accelerator, because that would mean 500% more Last Order <3

On another note, I also made a myanimelist profile, so you can see what anime I watched and which I'm planning to watch :) It's not huge so far, but it's a nice start I guess ;3

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Bokxie

I might even start watching Pokemon again O_o From generation 1 to 3 the anime was tolerable, but in generation 4 and 5 it just became horrible. I didn't want to watch it. But this opening gave me a lot of hopes... Maybe one day I'll start on it :3

So I finally watched an anime other than Sonic X. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Yeah, I know it's almost twenty years old, but I thought it was a great show. I suspect it is probibly very low-key compared to some animes, given it's more of a cyberpunk police procedural show, and not very action intense. And what action there is tends to be, again, low-key.