283 posts in this topic

I say that it is a pretty stupid demotivator. Personally, I don't feel the person has given much evidence for his views. He's given his opinions and what should be done, but there is little in terms of where why this person is seeing it that way. Eggman is supposed to be the way he is. If people don't think Eggman should be himself, then they shouldn't bother with the games/comics/cartoons or animes.

Ah, someone who gets it! Outside of the guy who wrote that article about the demote, not too many other people get this point, but at the same time, you have to wonder HOW they came up with the opinion that Eggman is a... "goody-two shows", and as the author said, "if you don’t believe Sonic X, Heroes, and all that other bulls**t has skewed the views of Sonic fans the world over, here’s your proof.", because it's media like those that mainly have Eggman as the "goody-two shoes" people think he is. It's the main reason why this new thing going on here about a new show worries me son! :P

That demotivator is stupid. But the author of that article seems to forget Robotnik never was much of a serious villain to begin with. In the Mega Drive games he wasn't exactly threatening or even particularly competent for a guy with an IQ 300, considering he never accounted for Sonic's speed even after fighting him several times. People seem to take SATAM Robotnik and extrapolate him to the games which just doesn't work. He became a much more solid villain in the Adventure games, but he never went insanely evil or sadistic like in SATAM. Personally I like a balance between competent threat and eccentric evil genius. To make him a straight up evil nut would make him kinda dull, at least to me. I'm guessing this cartoon will probably focus more on his eccentric, less effective side considering its aimed at kids. Hopefully its not as extreme as AOSTH, there he couldn't fight his way through a wet tissue.

AOSTH Robotnik was not at all how he should have been. He was way to comical to be a proper villain. An evil nutcase is fine by me as long as they don't overdo it. I agree that there should be some balance should be put into the Robotniks so that he is not too dangerous but not too crazy. From what I have seen from the SATam comics for sea3on, Robotnik doesn't appear very much. Snively and Naugus are the main villains. Again, I can't say for sure what is with Sonic Boom, but as long as they are careful with how they portray him, it should be fine.

To be honest AOSTH Robotnik was more of a victim than a villain. It seems Murphy's Law followed him relentlessly. I agree he isn't what I'm looking for in a Robotnik either. But like you said, we don't have any details on Boom, or even know if its confirmed. I guess only time will tell.

True, AOSTH Robotnik was the biggest villain victim I've ever seen. Victim in bad luck, victim in poor workmanship for his robots and victim to his mother's wrath. Robotnik's mother seemed 3 times more villainous than Robotnik ever did in AOSTH. I wouldn't want to mess with her.

Ahh, so by "turn out like pony" you meant just that: cute and kiddy...Somehow I didnt consider it. Sure, Polsky did Ponies, but also South Park so I woudnt be worried about style of writing. I feel that show wont be an anime, and americans always prefered their Sonic a little badass. That why we have Eggman/Robotnik wars. So, yeah I still dont consider that. At worst it would be like Adventures of Sonic and that you watch, right people? Though I would be disappointed if it wont be at least Ben 10 level of seriousness.

That demotivator...ugh. I actually had a conversation with one Archie hater once. He made more sense that I expected and conversation went well, untill I asked why he faved that one. He explained that now Sega characters are closer to their game counterparts, so Eggman shouldn't be a psycho. Arguments that Knuckles and Amy are more level headed than in games and that we cant just ignore continuity did nothing. I had to end conversation to keep my sanity.

That demotivator is stupid. But the author of that article seems to forget Robotnik never was much of a serious villain to begin with. In the Mega Drive games he wasn't exactly threatening or even particularly competent for a guy with an IQ 300, considering he never accounted for Sonic's speed even after fighting him several times. People seem to take SATAM Robotnik and extrapolate him to the games which just doesn't work. He became a much more solid villain in the Adventure games, but he never went insanely evil or sadistic like in SATAM.

Maybe not AOSTH Robotnik, but you also have to remember that show was just a loony toon made to promote the games(I think), that and the earlier comics had no real work put into them in turms of Sonic having a set theme till SATAM came around, which the comics soon took after, then the games did at some point, which had Eggman a real villain in the adventure games. Even the Sound Underground Robotnick could at least be taken more seriously, but hte point is, why revert back to this in the games? What's the point? It's not like Eggman acting like a baffoon makes the series any better unless you're that desperate for comedy. Even then, Archie Eggman can still be funny at times, like the time he took over that village while looking for Snively, and when he had got out of his "Egg-o-matic?", started singing his theme song from SA2. Now that was funny, but also didn't loose his credibility from it.

I would agree with Blue Comet. Although I look forward to both (if they are real) I don't want either to be anything like my little pony. I am one of those people who would rather not be caught watching colourful ponies. I know someone who would but I am not that kind of a person. Even if it did turn out like my little pony, I would still give it a try but I would probably do it privately for fear of getting caught watching it.

May I point out with Sonic X, series 1 was light most of the time, which is fine by me. It got much darker in series 2 with the Metarex. I don't know if you saw it but it certainly wasn't the same as series 1. In terms of the anime. I haven't watched much anime on TV, Sonic X is pretty much the only anime I've watched and what little I've seen I've enjoyed. I personally doubt that SATam sea3on will not be an anime but I don't know about Sonic Boom but either way, don't get annoyed at Sonic if the new cartoons are animes.

I'd do the exact same thing with watching on my own :P In actual fact, I have! I'd just feel a bit embarrassed if one of my family caught me watching something they never expected me to like. But then again, they know full well I'll watch abseloutely anything.

Yeah that probably was the goal of AOSTH. Anyway with regards to Eggman you're preaching to the choir; I don't want him being a complete buffoon, but I also don't want him to become totally humourless either. The last time they played Eggman as a straight up villain was Sonic 06, and we all know how that went. Take away his quirky and (with regards to the Egg pawns) narcissistic robot designs, his sense of humour and his inflated opinion of himself, and he isn't a particularly interesting villain. Those traits should be used to compliment his character and villainy, but not supercede it, if you get what I mean.

I ain't sayin' not to take all the humor away, just don't overdo it like in Colors, Generations, or what I assume will happen in "Sonic's Lost Mind", again, the example of Eggman singing his theme from SA2 while still walking up like a BOSS

The last time they played Eggman as a straight up villain was Sonic 06, and we all know how that went.

Also, I seem to get into the pattern in when I talk about content in Sonic, Shadow or 06 always seem to get brought up as if I'm sayin' he should be taken to the extreme, but I'm really talking about how he was before 06, or now in the comics. The main reason why I'm preachin' all dis is because Sonic is loosing all his appeal, and the games are slowly turning into somethin barely anyone wants, even the people who bashed every "serious" games and wanted Sonic to be kiddy ain't even buying them, the sales are still low, so what's the benefit when in turning Sonic into a full on kids game when he was meant to be a family friendly bada**? Know what ahm sayin'?

just don't overdo it like in Colors, Generations,

Sometimes overdoing it a little is good. Sonic Colours is my favourite Sonic game and is likely to stay that way for a while. I haven't played Generations because I don't have any correct games console, but I did see the cutscenes and too me, it looked interesting to play.

I can sort of see why it would be losing its appeal but you have to keep in mind that sometimes you do need to try and make changes in order to improve. Sometimes this doesn't work. In this case, it seems to have not worked. What they need to do now is make further changes to attempt to increase sales. If you get what I mean

Sometimes overdoing it a little is good. Sonic Colours is my favourite Sonic game and is likely to stay that way for a while. I haven't played Generations because I don't have any correct games console, but I did see the cutscenes and too me, it looked interesting to play.

I can sort of see why it would be losing its appeal but you have to keep in mind that sometimes you do need to try and make changes in order to improve. Sometimes this doesn't work. In this case, it seems to have not worked. What they need to do now is make further changes to attempt to increase sales. If you get what I mean

but what about Shadow the Hedgehog? The did things differently with that game and look at the reception of it, and the new Devil May Cry game got the worst of it, where many arguments started just at the hair color, before zero bombing the gameplay as if it was actually bad, and I bought that game, it's not. Going back to Sonic, there was also the Warehog which many people hated and wasn't really bad, and Sonic Black Knight, which personally, the only part I thought was bad was the constant need to swing the Wii mote when it sometimes don't respond right.

At the end of it, I this whole thing about overdoing is only good when it goes into a range you don't mind it going to, problem is, most of the vocal fanbase doesn't mind that the games are catered to kids, who are off playing M rated games BTW, as long as it caters to thier desires. Also, may I ask WHY Sonic colors is your favorite game? Is it because fo teh gameplay or it's content, which was an.... attempt.... at being funny? I can at least say I liked Shadow because it was a hybrid of Sonic with Jak & Daxter, and the plot was actually engaging in a sense.

I already mentioned in the Sonic Colours topic why Sonic Colours is my favourite so I will not go into it. Perhaps part of the reason is because I only got into Sonic last year so I don't have as much access to some of the older games (including Shadow the Hedgehog). I could probably find these games if I looked for them properly but I just don't think about it too much.

In response to the other Sonic games mentioned, I have yet to buy Sonic and the Black Knight but I am planning to, I haven't played Shadow the Hedgehog since I don't have the right games console, I have played Sonic Unleashed. I felt it was a cool concept but I had a little trouble controlling his werehog form when he was fighting. That is probably just me though.

Whoa dude, didn't know I was talking to an Xer, especially since you have a Comic character in you're avatar, being on this forum, so I'm assuming you're a fan of the comics, yadda yadda.

You may not even be an Xer, you're just straight up newb son, and I'm not saying any of that to offend you BTW, so don't take my words to heart. Anyway, you're probably wondering what an Xer is. I got the term from an article I recently read(which is the first quote in my sig) that I thought was spot on, with me being down with Sonic since 2 for the genesis. Try reading this to get some prespective of what I mean and this fan base, you'll need it if you ever make the mistake of going to any other forum and having the wrong opinion like I did, and it was at the Sega forums of all places. That hell hole and it's members turned me into the crazy fan I am now, but I'm rambling so imma shut up, here's that article: http://conflictingviews.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/sonics-great-light-and-dark-debate/

No, I do enjoy the comics, most of my time with Sonic is spent on the comics, which is my avatar is a comic character. I have read all of the comics on it and am rereading them when I'm not on youtube watching some of the sonic vids.

I must be giving off the wrong impression and I'm sorry if I am. I admit, I generally prefer not to have the darker side of things. It interests me but I don't get involved much with it. Sonic is one of the few things I have the patience to try something new on, so I didn't mean that I wouldn't play Shadow the Hedgehog if I had the chance, I just meant that I haven't played it. I do have a playstation 2, but I'm not in the situation of buying games for it. It is only recently I started replaying my games on my playstation because it was hidden away for the last couple of years. If I get the chance to play Shadow the Hedgehog, I will play it before giving my view how good it is and from what I've seen, there are interesting parts to it.

So in a way, I wouldn't put myself in either category mentioned on the site. Again, I am sorry for giving the wrong impression here.

There's nothing wrong with that mang, and I didn't think you were giving off the wrong impression, it's just rare to run into a sonic fan who doesn't know much about the games or hasn't been part in any of the fan wars. Not saying you have to get into the darker side of things either, I'm just pointing out that Sonic games and shows(after AOSTH) used to be balanced in content. As it was said in the article:

"The Sonic games really had a lacking universe where people (who didn’t read manuals) had to try and fill the gaps themselves. So with the cartoons and the comics, we had a picture of what Sonic’s world was like. SATam’s content was a balance between light and dark content. There was enough “dark” to keep the kids interested and stimulated, and just enough “light” content to keep the soccer moms at bay. This nice balance kept Sonic “cool” in a sense. And all the boys wanted to plow Sally Acorn."

I often try to explain that to people, but the usual responses are about how Shadow and 06 didn't work and how the series doesn't need to be grim"derp"(I hate that f**kin' word BTW, derp, it just sounds stupid when you think it), without even even recalling Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Battle, and the Storybook games, which were games that in someway kept that balance that SATAM had and the comics preserve. The main reason I harp on the subject so much is because I run into so many Sonic fans who talk about how the series is aimed at kids andshould be like that, as if they can't understand the concept that the series can have some serioous point to it while being light to, which what made Sonic cool. I mean really, even if you like Sonic Colors, do you at least notice the difference in content when you compare it to the comics?

Sorry for my late response. I've been doing other things. Anyway, I think there's been a misunderstanding. It seems like we're saying the same thing, that there needs balance. I do have a habit of phrasing things in a confrontational manner so I apologise if it came off as me violently disagreeing with you.

I do see the difference. Sonic Colours seemed to be much lighter than the comics are currently,and that's fine with me. I'll enjoy myself reading the comics and playing the Sonic games, when I get a new games console. Like Shadow, I guess I seemed a little confrontational, when I wasn't trying to be. Sometimes I write things and although it sounds fine in my head, it can be interpreted differently to others, which I am sorry about. I think we are all agreeing that there needs to be a balance and if these two cartoons do come out, we are hoping for a good balance, including with Robotnik/Eggman.

I seem to have that problem with wording my comments sometimes to, so no harm done, and my mental state is..... ok enough at the moment to recognize that. :D

But while you're here, I do have to point this out from you're comment though:

In the Mega Drive games he wasn't exactly threatening or even particularly competent for a guy with an IQ 300, considering he never accounted for Sonic's speed even after fighting him several times.

What about when he set Angel Island on fire and electricuted Knuckles in Sonic 3, and actually did slow Sonic down in Sonic Labyrith, which was the plot of that entire game?

I do see the difference. Sonic Colours seemed to be much lighter than the comics are currently,and that's fine with me. I'll enjoy myself reading the comics and playing the Sonic games, when I get a new games console. Like Shadow, I guess I seemed a little confrontational, when I wasn't trying to be. Sometimes I write things and although it sounds fine in my head, it can be interpreted differently to others, which I am sorry about. I think we are all agreeing that there needs to be a balance and if these two cartoons do come out, we are hoping for a good balance, including with Robotnik/Eggman.

It's all cool(fo now :P ), but at the very least, good to see someone gets the concept of balance despite like Sonic Colors, not many other fans don't, and usually equat Colors quality on being light hearted, or even Sonic Heroes, which many fans say was the start of Sonic downfall(it kinda was when you compare it to the tremedous work of the Adventure game, Heroes just didn't seem to go anywhere and was cheesier, but kinda fun and was trying something new with the team thing).

I was going to mention his plan in 3 & Knuckles, which was pretty good, but I didn't for some reason. And I must admit I forgot about Labyrinth, though to be honest, that plan was just strange, I mean, if you know where your arch enemy lives, rather than attack it, you get a robot to sneak in, give him friction boots and then say "come and get me". I guess the Doctor wants to gloat to Sonic after his victory. I'll give him points for originality though.

Well we all Know EggBotnick is a strage guy, I mean, Sonic Spinball anyone? lol, fun game but that last level was a b***h for me when I was younger. Anyway, yeah, EggBotnick has shown signs of wanting to gloat about his victory in some other games, but we also need to remember how he almost killed Sonic in SA2 when he dropped him out of the ark, in which case made Tails' nuts drop enough to take EggBotnick on instead of talking in the back like in Colors(which ironically was what almost got Sonic killed in SA2 in the first place, but EggBotnick already suspected the emerald was fake anyway), which is another plus, dat hole game was one big freakin' + , despite it's fualts.

No, I do enjoy the comics, most of my time with Sonic is spent on the comics, which is my avatar is a comic character. I have read all of the comics on it and am rereading them when I'm not on youtube watching some of the sonic vids.

I must be giving off the wrong impression and I'm sorry if I am. I admit, I generally prefer not to have the darker side of things. It interests me but I don't get involved much with it. Sonic is one of the few things I have the patience to try something new on, so I didn't mean that I wouldn't play Shadow the Hedgehog if I had the chance, I just meant that I haven't played it. I do have a playstation 2, but I'm not in the situation of buying games for it. It is only recently I started replaying my games on my playstation because it was hidden away for the last couple of years. If I get the chance to play Shadow the Hedgehog, I will play it before giving my view how good it is and from what I've seen, there are interesting parts to it.

So in a way, I wouldn't put myself in either category mentioned on the site. Again, I am sorry for giving the wrong impression here.

I wholeheartedly agree. A balance between light and dark is the best idea for a Sonic cartoon. SATAM and Sonic X had that, so I'm really hoping Sonic Boom isn't some style over substance show.

If Eggman is in Sonic Boom (which I'm pretty certain he will be) I'd like to see him as an evil guy who's a lot like his comic counterpart, but brings some comedy relief from time to time. AOSTH Robotnik was funny, but was so pathetic at achieving anything remotely evil that I sort of felt sorry for him. Shadow would also be a really good addition, since he brings so much depth, which is what Sonic cartoons sometimes lacked.

I like this discussion, and I don't want to look like an ass, but please keep it on topic, somewhat at least.

Sorry dude, but the main reason I brought this stuff up because we need to remember that content and appeal is what made Sonic popular, and with the current reception of people wanting Sonic to be super light or kiddy, may end up having a negative effect on this cartoon whether you wind up liking it or not, and then would end up making kids think Sonic is just another joke of a cartoon character instead of the family friendly bada** many of us knew and loved him for, and that will only validate people more on the notion of "what's serious about a blue hedgehog fighting a guy named Eggman", most of the time, ignoring some of things I just pointed out about Eggman setting Angel Island on fire and nearly killing Sonic, and of course the comics, which is hated by the majority of vocal Sonic fans I run into on the net.

Regardless, if you feel this is derailing, I'll simply make a new topic.