Admiral

SEGA or Nintendo: Which do you prefer?

SEGA or Nintendo   40 votes

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

Which console do you prefer playing? even though this is obviously a sega type site.

Hmm, I love Sonic basically more than most Nintendo franchises, but I do like a lot of Nintendo franchises, like Kirby, Metroid, and Super Smash Bros. In terms of consoles, I couldn't give an objective POV here. Obviously, SEGA was ahead of their time with the Genesis and Mega Drive. They were 16-bit before Nintendo could have dreamed. The Genesis was made to compete with the NES, and then the SNES came out later, and some argue that the Genesis outcompeted it too. The Saturn was an awkward failure, not much to say there except negativity, though 3D Blast for the Saturn was better IMO, and I'd like to try Sonic Jam out sometime. The Dreamcast was ahead of its time again with Windows CE. No other system had such a heavy OS-based structure (this analysis on this generation excludes the XBOX, which was almost like a Dreamcast in many ways, Microsoft made the OS for both, and they were both good hardware, but the XBOX came out BECAUSE the DC had failed in the mainstream), and homebrew for the DC still continues to this day. The homebrew apps movement basically started with the DC, along with the Gaming-system-having-OS trend. Sadly, its software did not impress many gamers. Of course I'd love to play Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 on the DC, but Shuffle was known as bad, and SEGA basically had Sonic holding up the DC.

Nintendo on the other hand, while having less powerful hardware, had the support of many developers. So that's my opinion: SEGA dominated in the hardware market, but Nintendo beat them with sotware.

2 people like this

I rather use sonic, because I haven't play that since last year. I rather being sonic fans, but I choose both mario and sonic fans.

I don't really know... I like and play the consoles of both companies. And they both have very good games.

1 person likes this

I love my wii, but SEGA is the bestest in my book

:D

1 person likes this

SEGA's Genesis was superior to Nintendo's NES, but SEGA doesn't do hardware anymore, which I suppose is kind of a mixed blessing. Now you don't have to really choose since many games are cross-platform anyway.

I'll be honest. i prefer Nintendo most of the time - in general anyway.

Still, can't deny that blue hedgehog's attention needs. :lol:

Sega is obviously better than Nintendo. Mario is terrible, but Sonic is a lot better. Archie comics is cool too, but only for Sonic.post-238-0-57364900-1366920550_thumb.jpg

Nintendo might have the better consoles and games, but they lose a big point for me. Multiplatform.

And that's what Sega is doing right, apart from having great games too.

Being a 90's kid, and someone who has lived with both parents in separate homes, I grew up in two different households with, incidentally enough, Nintendo on one side and Sega on the other. So while people were debating on which was better, I was simply enjoying them both as one. However, if I had to choose one....Well, let's put the two into consideration:

Console: Oh the Irony, the best way to describe their console wars with each other can actually be a retelling of Eggman's victory and downfall from 175 to 200. They appeared with the Sega Master System, that the NES ALWAYS beaten down. Then arise the Genesis, that knocked it out the NES out of the park, making Sega victorious. ...Then the NES came back as the SNES and battled Genesis again, and for the most part won. Then Sega went somewhat insane and mentally deteriorated from this and made constant consoles, then immediately scraping them when the SNES constantly wins, and it just got worse and worse until it all came to a head, and Sega, for the most part, lost the console wars completely. ...The difference is that they had created the Dreamcast, which was basically, in my opinion, their most powerful weapon against Nintendo when they suffered their final defeat against the N64, AND the Playstation/Playstation 2. (Which was basically the Ixis Naugus of this story.) While Eggman was using a Spider.

I think it's pretty clear who won this battle.

Nintendo +1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games: To make this perfectly clear, I am not comparing by franchises, as that would be pretty unfair. Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pokemon, etc. Sega only had Sonic, Night, and House of the Dead as real franchises. ...That said, If we throw those franchises out of the picture, we get to see the very cores of both of these companies, and which core is better? ...Well, they're both pretty tied really, It's hard for me to say which is better in this category, if not because I've always treated games with a little slack, then because I can't for the life of me remember any of them outside the obvious ones, and the graphics for both were pretty evenly matched. But if you want me to choose...I'd probably say Sega. The problem with Nintendo, it's Kyptonite so to speak, is that it filled to the brim with its franchises. Look outside the franchises remove every last one of them, and the amount of good games drops. That's not to say that it doesn't have good non-franchise games, nor that Sega is any different, but it's the amount of good games that makes the cores shine bright, and Sega's brighter, if only slightly. If they didn't lose their minds when it came to their consoles, that may have been a challenger in the console wars still. Considering the games that a spewed forth nowadays, they might have even been the superior race if they kept up like they did. ...Or they would fall into the same trap as everyone else, who knows?

1+ Sega.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mascot: ...I wouldn't dare even so much as BOTHER with the popularity of these two, nor dare state who did their job better. Mario and Sonic are both Icons of the 90's, and let's face it, both are suffering the exact same way nowadays. It's just that it happened to Sonic faster than it did Mario. I'm not going to compare it by that because that's like comparing who got killed earlier or later by a slasher like Jason Vorhees or Freddy Kreuger. You can argue in the afterlife all you want guys, but the point will always remain that you're both dead, and the stronger man is the one who is still alive at the end of the day. So as far as I'm concerned they're both tied in their popularity and game activity.

With that said, there's only one other way to compare the two:

[media=]

Sonic Wins.

1+ Sega.

Sega wins.

I admit that my favourite character of all time is in Nintendo. And that my choice used to be Nintendo until I got into Sonic.

Now, overall I think my choice in terms of the games is Sega for Sonic only. The problem is though, that most of the time I play Sonic, I play it on my Nintendo Wii which needs to be taken into account as well.

So I can't give a true answer to the question

I like sega , a lot. But Rayman is still my favorite character !!!! as for nintendo..... they are milking mario even more than activision with COD ....

mrsnippy: Hmm, I never noticed that with Mario. I always thought Nintendo had kept Mario under a strict, slow release schedule. Recently, things have gotten hectic in the Mario release world. There have indeed been a huge amount of Mario games in the last few months.

If SEGA keeps up with their Project Diva series, Hatsune Miku could almost be considered their character. Of course, Miku is really Yamaha's, but SEGA would do well to associate itself with the Vocaloid instruments.

Nintendo is just at the bottom of my list in general gaming. They've got some good franchise, but barely any of them stack up to other games today in my opinion. If everyone else wasn't so intent on turning Sonic into a Nintendo series, I'd just ignore them like I was doing till I got to know the Sonic fanbase. If anything, I'd rather compare Sega to Microsoft and Sony, as they have games that I'm actually interested in.

1 person likes this

Well I hate Nintendo as I have said many times on this forum. On the other hand wtf have sega done recently apart from try to ruin the comics as much as possible. Yea i'm not voting for either

Voted for Sega. Only because i'm careless about Nintendo. But, well... maybe one day i'll get satisfied by them, who knows :unsure:

On the other hand wtf have sega done recently apart from try to ruin the comics as much as possible.

The made Hell Yeah!, Yakuza Dead Souls, Binary Domain, Renegade Ops, All-Stars Racing Transformed, and a few others, but they mess them up by not advertising them, which is what got Platinum Game messed up, cause many people actually wanted to play Anarchy Reigns, but Sega decided to delay the game for no good reason, even after it was finished and translated, with no mentioned when it was coming out this year, then release it in January with no word on it at all. Also cancelled 2 Streets of Rage games(recent ones), and had 1 of the very few fan games of the original series pulled off the site for some gripe about protecting their IP(saying this while not doing anything at all about all the Sonic fan games out there, one guys even telling someone who works for Sega about the Sonic Megamix Rom hack, SO THEY DO know about it). Overall, Sega is messed up, but most of what their bad decisions ultimately came from Sega of Japan which still proves to be a stigma for Sega even today, but overall, they're always better the Nintendo: http://dj-vgamer.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Issues-Bronies-Cute-Light-themes-375499938

The made Hell Yeah!, Yakuza Dead Souls, Binary Domain, Renegade Ops, All-Stars Racing Transformed, and a few others, but they mess them up by not advertising them, which is what got Platinum Game messed up, cause many people actually wanted to play Anarchy Reigns, but Sega decided to delay the game for no good reason, even after it was finished and translated, with no mentioned when it was coming out this year, then release it in January with no word on it at all. Also cancelled 2 Streets of Rage games(recent ones), and had 1 of the very few fan games of the original series pulled off the site for some gripe about protecting their IP(saying this while not doing anything at all about all the Sonic fan games out there, one guys even telling someone who works for Sega about the Sonic Megamix Rom hack, SO THEY DO know about it). Overall, Sega is messed up, but most of what their bad decisions ultimately came from Sega of Japan which still proves to be a stigma for Sega even today, but overall, they're always better the Nintendo: http://dj-vgamer.dev...hemes-375499938

I guess. I have not played any of them except a little bit of sega all stars racing which I actually enjoyed.

I guess. I have not played any of them except a little bit of sega all stars racing which I actually enjoyed.

And that's really Sega biggest flaw, they can actually still make good games, but they never advertise. I had to check their main site just to see that they made Binary Domain, but then they rely so much on Sonic to sale, that they wanna focus on introducing Sonic to new fans, Nintendo fans:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-11-sonic-redesigned-to-appeal-to-mario-fans

"From a general game design perspective, in recent years we've been able to introduce Sonic to new fans - a lot of the Nintendo/Mario fans - and because of that, we've made changes to the design

Earlier this month, SEGA also admitted to tweaking the brand to appeal to gamers who like, well, good games."

Yeah, because when EVERY game thinks of good games, Nintendo and Mario games are all people can think of, definitely not .... I dunno, ANYTHING ELSE!

The F*ck, are these guys not away that even Nintendo has franchises that would work better with Sonic then Mario, or even this crossover of 3 Sony series:

The best part about that is that Sonic Adventure 2 has been selling well on Xbox Live and Playstation Network, so yeah they already are getting fans, plus Sonic can gamecube games, so these Nintendo fans ain't new, in this regard.

And that's really Sega biggest flaw, they can actually still make good games, but they never advertise. I had to check their main site just to see that they made Binary Domain, but then they rely so much on Sonic to sale, that they wanna focus on introducing Sonic to new fans, Nintendo fans:

http://www.eurogamer...l-to-mario-fans

"From a general game design perspective, in recent years we've been able to introduce Sonic to new fans - a lot of the Nintendo/Mario fans - and because of that, we've made changes to the design

Earlier this month, SEGA also admitted to tweaking the brand to appeal to gamers who like, well, good games."

Yeah, because when EVERY game thinks of good games, Nintendo and Mario games are all people can think of, definitely not .... I dunno, ANYTHING ELSE!

The F*ck, are these guys not away that even Nintendo has franchises that would work better with Sonic then Mario, or even this crossover of 3 Sony series:

[media=]

The best part about that is that Sonic Adventure 2 has been selling well on Xbox Live and Playstation Network, so yeah they already are getting fans, plus Sonic can gamecube games, so these Nintendo fans ain't new, in this regard.

That explains a lot. Though I didn't really notice until Lost World which is just super sonic 3d land from the looks of things.

You know what, I DON'T CARE WHICH IS BETTER! Personally, I think that both companies are equall, even though I personally think that the Super Nintendo outperformed even the SEGA 32X (as long as there's a super FX)but however I think the Dreamcast did better than the N64. But I mean, the Dreamcast was a failure only because they lost the trust of the consumer, they had everything that a good console had: The "killer app" (by which I mean the game that pretty much represents the console that it's exclusive to), exelent games, it was lightyears ahead of it's time, an okay controller though, great third party support, best of all, there are people who still make games for the dreamcast.

However, the N64's predecessor, the Super Nintendo, had THRIVED against competition from 32-bit systems like the 3DO, Amiga, Saturn, YOU NAME IT! It's only competition was the Playstation, but if you read the story, it was actually ripped off from what was Nintendo's "Play Station" (an add on to the super nintendo with a CD-ROM based system but tragically cancelled).

The competition between the Genesis and Super Nintendo had beenthe most famous of all the battles, one had blast processing, the other could rotate, scale, even build 3D worlds with less sprites than the genesis, even without an enhancement chip! While even blast processing alone couldn't do it. But however, I like both.

Nowadays, Sonic and Mario had started over, became good friends, even had an olympic games based crossover! Although it was being published by SEGA, it was built with Nintendo cooperation. So the wars are over I guess. (Or are they?)

I grew up a Sonic fan, never cared much for nintendo. Which is why I was greatly depressed when I heard Sega made a deal with nintendo. I just hope after these three games the PS and Xbox community will be able to play great Sonic games.

Can't say for sure, seeing as I'm not a huge gamer XD I pretty much went back to gaming 2.5 years ago (all thanks to a certain hedgehog ^^)

I'm a bit of a fan of both really. I'm all out for Sonic and NiGHTS mainly, but I do admire some Mario and Kirby, and I'm awfully curious about the Legend of Zelda. But uh yeah, that's just about it really XD so far I dig both. ^_^

for me both. Nintendo only for Zelda. and sega well you no ^_^ SONIC